2013-2014 Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm non-trad as well. I believe it says you can have a letter from a supervisor at work instead.

Edit: hmmm I reread it... Maybe not instead of a non science letter :/. I had 1 science undergrad, 1 science grad, 1 employer, and 2 physicians. Hope that works for them!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! I emailed them too but they didn't reply :(
Oh well, I'm submitting as well, I have decent letters otherwise, and at least its not $130 like Dartmouth!

It took them about four days to respond to mine, so you probably have the same reply coming!

Whats the appropriate abbreviation for Penn State College of Medicine? PSCM? I'm having troubling staying within the 75 words max on the "why penn state" question.....thoughts?? Is it appropriate to abbreviate the school name on the secondaries?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the appropriate abbreviation for Penn State College of Medicine? PSCM? I'm having troubling staying within the 75 words max on the "why penn state" question.....thoughts?? Is it appropriate to abbreviate the school name on the secondaries?

It's PSUCOM. :)

can anyone help me with the LOR section? if my school has a pre-health office and i am using their LOR service to send a letter packet, but they don't write committee letters which of the following do i check off?

a) My college or university has a Pre-health Committee or Pre-Health Office that submits recommendation letter(s) and I am using their service.

b) My college or university does not have a Pre-health Committee or Pre-Health Office that submits recommendation letter(s). Accordingly, I confirm that the letter(s) of recommendation submitted to AMCAS include:

At least two letters from faculty in science disciplines.
At least one letter from faculty in a non-science discipline.
At least one remaining letter from college faculty, community leader, employer, or others in positions of responsibility that know the applicant well.

thanks in advance for your help!

can anyone help me with the LOR section? if my school has a pre-health office and i am using their LOR service to send a letter packet, but they don't write committee letters which of the following do i check off?

a) My college or university has a Pre-health Committee or Pre-Health Office that submits recommendation letter(s) and I am using their service.

b) My college or university does not have a Pre-health Committee or Pre-Health Office that submits recommendation letter(s). Accordingly, I confirm that the letter(s) of recommendation submitted to AMCAS include:

At least one remaining letter from college faculty, community leader, employer, or others in positions of responsibility that know the applicant well.

probably b because they sound like a non-official committee since theyre not writing a committee letter

Submitted today! Glad this was a fairly easy one - I'm losing steam on those really long ones.

i put a b.c my college does submit recommendation letters(in a packet form)

Does anyone else have their committee letter showing up as being received and the Letters of Recommendation section still shows a red exclamation as if this section is not complete? Mine is showing that way and because of this it says my application is not complete.

Does anyone else have their committee letter showing up as being received and the Letters of Recommendation section still shows a red exclamation as if this section is not complete? Mine is showing that way and because of this it says my application is not complete.

That happened to me at another school and turned out to be a glitch. Another thing to think about: have you by chance received a degree (like an associate's) from more than one school? PSU requires a letter from someone at every institution from which you were conferred a degree.

That happened to me at another school and turned out to be a glitch. Another thing to think about: have you by chance received a degree (like an associate's) from more than one school? PSU requires a letter from someone at every institution from which you were conferred a degree.
Nope. I will contact them soon if this does not change. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
For some reason my committee letter, which has been arrived at all the schools I have applied to, is showing up as not being submitted at Penn State. I checked AMCAS and I do have the correct letter assigned to Penn State. I submitted my secondary on the 7th. Should I wait a few more days or should I call/email them about this discrepancy?

For some reason my committee letter, which has been arrived at all the schools I have applied to, is showing up as not being submitted at Penn State. I checked AMCAS and I do have the correct letter assigned to Penn State. I submitted my secondary on the 7th. Should I wait a few more days or should I call/email them about this discrepancy?

give them a couple days
it took them a couple days to process my letters too

give them a couple days
it took them a couple days to process my letters too

My app says complete, but they only have 4 of my 5 LORs listed. I emailed them about this. Anyone else have this issue?

My app says complete, but they only have 4 of my 5 LORs listed. I emailed them about this. Anyone else have this issue?

thats strange, its definitely not a max letter issue or anything cause i have 5 letters myself and they received all of them at the same time. that could be worth an email or a call

thats strange, its definitely not a max letter issue or anything cause i have 5 letters myself and they received all of them at the same time. that could be worth an email or a call

I, too, sent five and they received all five. Definitely call.

Yes this has also happened to me... debating whether I should call

I submitted today and am having the same issue with the committee letter showing but still getting the red exclamation. Is this a known issue on their end?

I called admissions today, they said a check should appear by Monday.

Can someone comment on the question regarding "unique aspect of your application"? My question is does it have to be something unique about my application (i.e. activities/experiences in college)? or can I speak more generally about what's unique about me (i.e. my background/upbringing)?

Thanks!

Can someone comment on the question regarding "unique aspect of your application"? My question is does it have to be something unique about my application (i.e. activities/experiences in college)? or can I speak more generally about what's unique about me (i.e. my background/upbringing)?

Thanks!

I would say yes to either. Personally I would highlight things that weren't apart of your primary or could have been expounded on further.

Submitted: 8/8
LORs received: 8/8
Complete: 8/8

+1. Still waiting for mine to show up too. Used AMCAS service and haven't had a problem with any other school

Hmm not sure. Not going to lie I was kind of shocked today when I checked and saw that I was complete so fast. Did you guys submit earlier in the day or later?

I submitted at 10 PM that day

See I submitted at like 10 am and my letters were downloaded at 12pm so maybe the download them in batches and you just happened to miss the cut off?! Not really sure though

So I paid the application fee and it won't let me submit the application because it is listed as incomplete. I paid yesterday and the charge is listed on my bank account. I thought it might take time to process so I called to check and received the must curt response...

The person who received my call told me to try paying again and I told him I had already been charged the fee. There was a long silence and then he asked if he could help me with anything else...

Why was the guy so mad? I'm just trying to figure out if the payment system is automatic or not and why I can't submit my application.

See I submitted at like 10 am and my letters were downloaded at 12pm so maybe the download them in batches and you just happened to miss the cut off?! Not really sure though

I submitted at noon. Still no LOR listed. I'll give it until tomorrow afternoon, I guess.

Are we complete?

I submitted my secondary a couple of days go, and I received the email that said:

"Your application has been confirmed as received. Thank you for applying to Penn State College of Medicine. This message is NOT meant to indicate that your application to the College of Medicine is complete. You will receive another email, several weeks from today, informing you that your application is complete and is being submitted to the Admissions Committee for review. "

But, I it says that Application File is Complete on my secondary.

I submitted at noon. Still no LOR listed. I'll give it until tomorrow afternoon, I guess.

I'm still not seeing the green check for my committee letter, I submitted my secondary last week. Anyone having the same issue?

I'm still not seeing the green check for my committee letter, I submitted my secondary last week. Anyone having the same issue?

it takes them some time, it took them 3 days to get my letters in, and those were consecutive business days

im guessing theyre getting more secondaries by the day too, so just give them like a week of business days at least before you guys and girls start calling and emailing

Are we complete?

I submitted my secondary a couple of days go, and I received the email that said:

"Your application has been confirmed as received. Thank you for applying to Penn State College of Medicine. This message is NOT meant to indicate that your application to the College of Medicine is complete. You will receive another email, several weeks from today, informing you that your application is complete and is being submitted to the Admissions Committee for review. "

But, I it says that Application File is Complete on my secondary.

It's no problem; that is just a generic email you are complete.

I called and they said the LoR issue should be resolved overnight.

75 words on a "Why Penn" essay? Aah!