About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check out PREMED.me!
    Offers FREE service to help premeds manage their applications and MCAT study calendars and identify schools to target.

2013-2014 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

Discussion in 'Allopathic School-Specific Discussions' started by gettheleadout, May 9, 2013.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. ct303

ct303

Pre-Medical

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Has anyone been small-pooled/received interviews lately? complete dates?
  2. BlackBox

BlackBox

Medical Student (Accepted)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Submitted 9/14-ish
    Complete 9/23

It'll be a while for me...
  3. aladd1n

aladd1n

SDN 2+ Year Member
    Anyone complete on 8/2 not hear back yet at all?
  4. okokok

okokok

SDN 2+ Year Member
    I received an interview invitation yesterday. I was small-pooled 9/26 and complete 8/15.
  5. Pose

Pose Senior Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Anyone got the US News stats for interviewed:accepted?
  6. NavyDoc23

NavyDoc23

Pre-Medical
    II just a little bit ago! Check my MDApps for other info.
  7. ct303

ct303

Pre-Medical
    Congrats!!!
  8. runnergirl6

runnergirl6

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    II earlier today! I was complete 8/21 and small-pooled on 9/26.
  9. NavyDoc23

NavyDoc23

Pre-Medical
    Thanks!
  10. xgzsty

xgzsty

I've just scheduled my interview on Oct 28th. I am living on Long Island right now. Any recommendations for traveling? Appreciate it if anyone can help me :)
  11. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I flew in and took a taxi to the hotel I was staying at; the taxi cost about $60, and the hotel wasn't exorbitant. Just make sure that you call the hotel itself and don't use a service like expedia. You may get a better rate than advertised.
  12. BeakerBreaker

BeakerBreaker

Pre-Medical
    Just submitted my supplemental. Been procrastinating on this one for quite awhile. I hope im not TOO late! :(
  13. Spica

Spica

Pre-Medical
    Don't worry about it right now. The most important thing is that you have,indeed, submitted. Now go and enjoy your life :).
  14. schwartn

schwartn

Pre-Medical
    Received my complete email today! Now the real waiting begins...
  15. eleventhdoc

eleventhdoc

Pre-Medical
    Hey, I have a couple logistics questions..
    Do they screen before sending out secondaries? If so, anyone know the cut-offs? Their general feelings toward "underdog" applicants?
    I just submitted AMCAS last week so I won't be verified for a while I bet. Is it pointless to submit a secondary (if I get one) at this point in the game or is it too late?
    Anyone know their general feelings towards non-trad and OOS students? I'm a Louisiana resident, but I have pretty strong ties to Chicago (used to live there, lots of family). (And I would do unspeakable things for the chance to move back..)
  16. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    They screen. No explicit cutoffs. EDIT: Sorry, I misread the question. They don't screen before sending a SECONDARY. My bad.

It's not pointless to submit; interview invitations in previous years have gone out until early April.

We're not a state school, so IS and OOS applicants are considered equally. We have matriculants from at least 10 states that I know of. A good portion are from California.

Finally, keep in mind that the medical school is not in Chicago; it's about an hour north. For the first two yeas, you spend most of your learning time on campus. For the second two years, most students live in Chicago.

Good luck!
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  17. kimicurtis

kimicurtis

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm appealing to this school and just want a second opinion on something that has been weighing on my mind (in general, not necessarily school specific). How much does a late application affect a candidate, let's say September. My premed advisor basically said it was terrible, but last semester I met an adcom from a top 10 told me that students always say this to him, but he always tells them to just apply and this doesn't really impact the schools decision. Thoughts?
  18. nuwc2013

nuwc2013

Pre-Medical
    so i've been complete since early september and still no word....when should i start to worry about not hearing back?
  19. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Who knows? Some data on SDN suggests that students who submit late are less likely to get interviews and get accepted, which makes sense based on the fact that interviews and acceptances are offered on a rolling basis.

However, I wouldn't necessarily trust that AdCom member; anyone running an admissions committee has an incentive to have as many students applying as possible. More students applying means more secondary fees.

You definitely have a shot at getting into a school if you apply late, but I would say there is some disadvantage to applying late. How much? I have no idea.
  20. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    April, and only if you haven't been accepted to any other schools.
  21. kimicurtis

kimicurtis

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Oh yeah! I totally forgot the money factor smh. Thanks.
  22. Body Habitus

Body Habitus

Just small pooled, was complete 2nd week of September - first good news of season!
  23. crcpac

crcpac

anyone know when they are offering the first batch of acceptances? i don't believe a specific date was given on my interview day
  24. KindofBlue

KindofBlue Member

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I was told 4 to 6 weeks.
    It appears last year's first acceptances went out on Oct 22, so I guess that's a week after the AAMC recommended date.
  25. Matt20

Matt20

Pre-Medical
    Does anyone know if there's a way to check your application status on the website? I can't seem to find anything.
  26. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    There is none. E-mail only.
  27. Yuyukachoo

Yuyukachoo

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Isn't this kind of ridiculous?
  28. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    No. I don't think neurotically checking the website for an update on your application when they're ultimately going to e-mail you anyway isn't mentally healthy.
  29. slwnstdy

slwnstdy

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    +1 !!!!
  30. Yuyukachoo

Yuyukachoo

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Yeah, I don't think having someone slap together an interface is asking too much when you're asking 105 bucks a pop, but I guess that's the neurotic pre-med in me talking.
  31. ct303

ct303

Pre-Medical
    I dont know about you but I prefer to not have to check the status. I would rather have all the communication by email, rather than check a status every hour of the day for two months.
  32. Yuyukachoo

Yuyukachoo

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I don't think anyone knows true pain until they momentarily let their hopes get high enough to think the tenth Healthy Paws Pet Insurance email of the day is an interview invite. At least with the app. site I can pretend...
  33. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    If a bad website is a dealbreaker for you, then I'm afraid I have some bad news for you about CMS. . . :p

And you're right. It isn't asking too much. They simply don't subscribe to the notion that it's a necessity.
  34. Yuyukachoo

Yuyukachoo

MD/PhD Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I wish I could say anything would be a deal breaker at this point, but here I am adding NYMC in October... :p
  35. HarperHarper

HarperHarper

Pre-Medical
    My secondary application was complete on 8/7/13. Have not heard anything from them yet. Is this normal? Should I call the office to check? Can I send in update information?
  36. adderall20xr

adderall20xr

Pre-Medical
    Small pooled: 10/8/13
    Secondary submitted: 8/21/13
    MCAT 32N, 3.75 sGPA

not sure what the actual meaning of 'small pooled' is other than that i am not 'rejected'...yet.
  37. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    It's normal. No updates are accepted pre-interview. If you got an e-mail saying your application is complete, there's nothing you can do.
  38. Patriotnation

Patriotnation

Pre-Medical
    When were you small pooled?
  39. ahutni3

ahutni3

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is the nature of a "rolling admissions" process, and applies to all schools, so here's my best shot at a simple explanation. Think of it from a mathematical perspective. For example's sake, let's say 2000 applicants are Johnny on the spot with their apps and have secondaries in and ready for review by late July. Again, for example sake, let's say they'll interview the top ten percent of those students. So, if you're complete by then, you'll have to be "better" in the adcom's eyes than at least 1800 applicants. Then, let's say every month going forward until December 1000 more applicants submit their secondaries and are being reviewed by the adcom. Each month you wait, you increase the number of applicants that you have to beat out by 900. Now, that's just a basic mathematical representation. If you want to get more of an idea of why it is so important to submit early, consider this: as the cycle continues, it would behoove this (and every) school to interview the absolute best applicants available at every stage. So, those applicants with the top scores (again, just for examples sake), will be filtered to the top of the pile for the adcom to review and grant an interview.

Long story short, timing is a huge part of the acceptance battle, ESPECIALLY if your stats are on or near the border of competitive (as mine were). Two years ago I wasn't interviewed at all (secondary submitted in October). And last year I was interviewed on the very first day you could interview (submitted by July). Keep in mind that an adcom from a top ten school would have a very skewed view due to the fact that they likely don't even consider people with a sub 34 MCAT (the vast minority), so timing wouldn't matter as much for those schools since they're only seeing a handful of applicants meeting their standards for an interview invite.

That said, don't panic if you did submit late. I can't speak for other schools, but for CMS the application process is pretty holistic, so scores that are below the averages for this school does not necessarily weigh you down as much as it might at some other schools.

I hope this helps! Feel free to PM me if this is unclear or if you have any other questions.
  40. gocanes1990

gocanes1990

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    im sure this may have been discussed before, but does anyone know the stats for

small pool --> to interview invite, including time frame. thanks.
  41. ct303

ct303

Pre-Medical
    Sitting in biology and the teacher just went into what Rosalind Franklin did. Cool stuff!
  42. Spica

Spica

Pre-Medical
    It means, as they mention in an email, that you have moved to the pool of applicants that they may invite for an interview. It's a good thing, since, without being small-pooled, there is no way you'd get invited for an interview :). Your stats look pretty good too, so you probably can adopt a more positive attitude :).
    adderall20xr likes this.
  43. kimicurtis

kimicurtis

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Thank you for such a thorough explanation!
  44. Anicetus

Anicetus

Pre-Medical
    I think I am the only person who got small pooled yet no ii haha.
  45. sfwtboy

sfwtboy

SDN 2+ Year Member
    You're not alone :)
  46. GreatBrono7

GreatBrono7

Pre-Medical
    I'm sure there's quite a few ppl. Myself included. I was small pooled about 10 days ago so I hope to hear back in a week or two.
  47. GingerGirl27

GingerGirl27

Pre-Medical
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Small pooled 9/27 still haven't heard anything else. You're not alone.
  48. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have it on good confidence from one of our administrators that the small pool is "not a very small pool."

Have low expectations and high hopes, guys. It's the key to happiness.
  49. Anicetus

Anicetus

Pre-Medical
    theoretically, what would be the point of telling us we got small pooled then?

It seems like it is only an attempt at getting applicants riled up as it offers no extra steps for us to go through (ie secondary essays/interview).
  50. tantacles

tantacles Lifetime Donor

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not disagreeing with you. As a former applicant, I would suggest you forget you got the small-pool e-mail and wait for an e-mail with real news. Don't celebrate and don't lament until something real comes.