2013-2014 Rosalind Franklin University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for all the info! I interview tomorrow, so this gives me a good idea of what to expect. One quick question, what time did the day end? Glad you hear you enjoyed the program, good luck!
mttmagirl, I interviewed here today, too!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
mttmagirl, I interviewed here today, too!

How funny that we were all there together!

Here's a quick recap of the day:

Upon arrival, we received our folders, and then waited in the "interviewee lounge". All the other interviewees were very nice, and we all chatted before moving to the next room. Here we heard some more info about the school from an admissions recruiter as well as the Dean of the University.
This ended around 9AM, and then interviews began. I forgot to keep track of time, but I would say both of my interviews lasted around 30-40 minutes. Both of my interviewers were faculty at the university, and no one on our interviewee group received a third interview.
After we finished up the interviews, we heard briefly (only about 3 minutes) about financial aid. Then two M2s arrived, took us on a tour of the school and answered a bunch of questions. We had lunch in the new dining hall (TONS of food options), finished the tour, had a brief wrap up meeting, and then were on our way! The day ended around 1:20 yesterday.
Overall, the day was pretty relaxed, with lots of downtime to talk to your peers and get to know each other.

Good luck to all the other applicants!

How funny that we were all there together!

Here's a quick recap of the day:

Upon arrival, we received our folders, and then waited in the "interviewee lounge". All the other interviewees were very nice, and we all chatted before moving to the next room. Here we heard some more info about the school from an admissions recruiter as well as the Dean of the University.
This ended around 9AM, and then interviews began. I forgot to keep track of time, but I would say both of my interviews lasted around 30-40 minutes. Both of my interviewers were faculty at the university, and no one on our interviewee group received a third interview.
After we finished up the interviews, we heard briefly (only about 3 minutes) about financial aid. Then two M2s arrived, took us on a tour of the school and answered a bunch of questions. We had lunch in the new dining hall (TONS of food options), finished the tour, had a brief wrap up meeting, and then were on our way! The day ended around 1:20 yesterday.
Overall, the day was pretty relaxed, with lots of downtime to talk to your peers and get to know each other.

Good luck to all the other applicants!

I just want to add a few more things:

1) Students were all so chill. The cafeteria looked a lot like the one in high school, and I personally couldn't believe I was actually on a med school tour. I was convinced when one of our M2 tour guides said she chose RFU in part because she saw the current students were so chill and easy going.

2) Interviewers were so laid back as well and they just wanted to get to know students. I was actually surprised that they remembered some of my PS and secondary essay answers, even mentioning some of my key sentences verbatim. I realized these essays really do matter.

They were very patient and listening attentively while I was describing what I did in certain ECs, even though some of them were nothing related to medicine. One of the most conversational interviews I had. In previous interviews in other schools, I didn't get the feeling that interviewers cared a lot about my non-medical ECs.

3) Another good thing I noticed is: Many students live on campus. All other schools I visited were usually off-campus housing and you have to drive 10 min everyday, for example, to get to classes and etc. You still need a car to get to off-site hospitals, but it seemed less necessary in RFU than other typical medical schools.

Just received a rejection ...but this really doesn't make sense. I was interviewed and wait listed last cycle... and I spoke to Sara Nobbe a week ago and she said I was still in the running. My application was in earlier--which she said was great, and I have only improved my experiences etc. I don't get how one year I can get interviewed and waitlisted and the follow year not even small pooled....

Just received a rejection ...but this really doesn't make sense. I was interviewed and wait listed last cycle... and I spoke to Sara Nobbe a week ago and she said I was still in the running. My application was in earlier--which she said was great, and I have only improved my experiences etc. I don't get how one year I can get interviewed and waitlisted and the follow year not even small pooled....

When did you submit?

I was complete very end of August. I just spoke with Admissions. They said it gets more competitive every year...oh well. I literally spoke to her less than a week ago. She said that they are "small pooling" fewer and fewer applicants. I think in the past, or at least last year they small pooled pretty much everyone unless you were really out there...I guess they realized that just means more work for them so they are trying to eliminate earlier in the game. Who knows?

Hah this school is on extremes....last cycle they had me on the hook until mid july on their waitlist...this year they reject me in sept ...whatever.

We are excited you chose to apply to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. At this time, your application remains under consideration with the Admissions Committee. This means you are in the pool of applicants who may be invited to interview with The Chicago Medical School. However, this does not guarantee an invitation and you may be invited to interview or declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process. We thank you for your patience and understanding throughout this process. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.

Is ^^^^^ a small pool email or a "on hold" email?

I was complete very end of August. I just spoke with Admissions. They said it gets more competitive every year...oh well. I literally spoke to her less than a week ago. She said that they are "small pooling" fewer and fewer applicants. I think in the past, or at least last year they small pooled pretty much everyone unless you were really out there...I guess they realized that just means more work for them so they are trying to eliminate earlier in the game. Who knows?

Hah this school is on extremes....last cycle they had me on the hook until mid july on their waitlist...this year they reject me in sept ...whatever.

Mind sharing your stats?

We are excited you chose to apply to the Chicago Medical School at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science. At this time, your application remains under consideration with the Admissions Committee. This means you are in the pool of applicants who may be invited to interview with The Chicago Medical School. However, this does not guarantee an invitation and you may be invited to interview or declined an interview at anytime during the admissions process. We thank you for your patience and understanding throughout this process. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to contact the Office of Admissions and Recruitment.

Is ^^^^^ a small pool email or a "on hold" email?

Sounds like a small pool- when did you submit?

Members don't see this ad :)

I mentioned this to you earlier in the thread, and the advice stands for all reapplicants to medical school:

It's impossible to say. There is, however, someone in the M1 class who was interviewed two years ago and wasn't accepted but reapplied.

I would say that from a personal view, however, that unless your application has changed for the better significantly since your last cycle, it's less likely you'll get an interview this time around; you're still the same applicant they waitlisted.

My application has changed I have three new experiences, one of which is a full time and very clinical research position. Additionally I kept up with all of my volunteering, unlike many applicants who stop once they have a substantial number of hours. Plus I applied earlier and a week ago they said my application looked good and I should sit tight. Sorry ---but to not even be small pooled is a bit ridiculous. Not to mention, how much can schools expect to change in a year, esp when a better part of that year the applicant was strung along by the school thinking they had a shot at getting in. Regardless I worked my butt of this last cycle to make my application more competitive. Last year they strung me along until JULY and this year got rid of me in Sept... whatever.

Also, I'm sorry but your post was a bit insensitive and not really well-informed.

Reactions: 1 user
I mentioned this to you earlier in the thread, and the advice stands for all reapplicants to medical school:
My application has changed I have three new experiences, one of which is a full time and very clinical research position. Additionally I kept up with all of my volunteering, unlike many applicants who stop once they have a substantial number of hours. Plus I applied earlier and a week ago they said my application looked good and I should sit tight. Sorry ---but to not even be small pooled is a bit ridiculous. Not to mention, how much can schools expect to change in a year, esp when a better part of that year the applicant was strung along by the school thinking they had a shot at getting in. Regardless I worked my butt of this last cycle to make my application more competitive. Last year they strung me along until JULY and this year got rid of me in Sept... whatever.

Also, I'm sorry but your post was a bit insensitive and not really well-informed.

ALSO, for the record i know several cases where students applied two years in a row with nothing different in their application and were accepted the second year. Especially at schools with over 7000 applicants things get a bit random.

^ You DO know that tantacles is an RFU student and a student ambassador so he has contacts with the admissions department and probably has a great input on the RFU admission process.

I know you may be bitter but schools might change their target applicant or maybe you just had a harsher reader. But medical school applications are a crapshoot and you're never guaranteed a small pool/II/acceptance.

Sorry if it seems like I'm putting you on blast. I'm sure you'll still have a successful cycle and I hope for the best!

i wasnt saying i was guaranteed anything, just pointing out the level of inconsistency, and that tentacles comment didnt necessarily apply to me since i did significantly change my application (as much as a person can in one year). furthermore i am not bitter, just frustrated as much older applicant who has other obligations etc. not something i expect a 22 year old to understand. and lastly, not sure why you felt the need to respond, i quoted the person i was responding to.

Their secondary changed from last year. Maybe they didn't like your responses.

i wasnt saying i was guaranteed anything, just pointing out the level of inconsistency, and that tentacles comment didnt necessarily apply to me since i did significantly change my application (as much as a person can in one year). furthermore i am not bitter, just frustrated as much older applicant who has other obligations etc. not something i expect a 22 year old to understand. and lastly, not sure why you felt the need to respond, i quoted the person i was responding to.

I think what joonage is trying to say is that there is no rhyme or reason for the application process and that whether your app is rejected or small pooled can depend on many factors that you simply can't control or predict. And because of those factors, the selection process may seem inconsistent. Plus, schools change the their "target applicant" from year to year depending on the applicant pool, maybe RFU decided to look for something else this year, or maybe the person who read your app that day simply didn't like what he/she read. The point is, this whole application process is a crapshoot, and it's unpredictable and inconsistent. And just because one person from years back got in or didn't get in doesn't mean the same will happen to you.

Stay positive and don't dwell on this even though I know it's difficult to not feel frustrated. It's only September and negativity isn't gonna do you any good in this cycle. Good luck!

Is small pooling based on grades/GPA? Would sending an update help my chances to get small pooled?

GODDAMN IT! I just wrote and revised a whole essay for CMS three times, only to scroll over the question and have it give me the Vision. I went online to CMS's actual website and got the Vision off from there, then wrote. The website Vision is completely different! Freaking waste of time!

Did anyone else do this? Honestly CMS, step your game up: it's 2013 and you dont' have a save option at the bottom of the application? And your school has comflicting Visions about its education?

GODDAMN IT! I just wrote and revised a whole essay for CMS three times, only to scroll over the question and have it give me the Vision. I went online to CMS's actual website and got the Vision off from there, then wrote. The website Vision is completely different! Freaking waste of time!

Did anyone else do this? Honestly CMS, step your game up: it's 2013 and you dont' have a save option at the bottom of the application? And your school has comflicting Visions about its education?

I did the EXACT same thing... the vision only pops up when you click in the box, and I write all my essays in Word documents first so I didn't even see that until I went to actually submit. >> I basically just wrote a new paragraph clearly addressing the prompt they wanted, stuck it in with what I already wrote, and altered what I had already written slightly to make it more consistent with the vision they wanted. So we'll see how that goes haha.

All I can say is I got small pooled today. I am very excited and hoping to get an II. This school seems great!

I wanted to ask all of you, I got a secondary invite that also said this:-
In order to complete your file, you must submit the following materials no later than December 1, 2013, 11:59 pm CST:

- Supplemental Application & $105 non-refundable fee
- Letters of Recommendation
- MCAT score

Now isn't AMCAS supposed to provide them with that? They did it for the rest of the schools.

Also are my stats competitive enough for this school?
MCAT 31
GPA Cum 3.66
GPA Sci 3.58 (made some screw ups freshman year)

In order to complete your file, you must submit the following materials no later than December 1, 2013, 11:59 pm CST:

- MCAT score

Now isn't AMCAS supposed to provide them with that? They did it for the rest of the schools.

MCAT 31
GPA Cum 3.66
Lol. Is this a serious question?

Just a quick question. How accurate has the 6-8 weeks timeline been? I submitted maybe 3 days ago

- MCAT score

MCAT 31
GPA Cum 3.66

You submit the secondary and pay the fee. AMCAS will send them your letters and MCAT score.

If anyone is interviewing on the 11th and wants to share a room to save money, I'm staying at the Marriott.

^ You DO know that tantacles is an RFU student and a student ambassador so he has contacts with the admissions department and probably has a great input on the RFU admission process.

I know you may be bitter but schools might change their target applicant or maybe you just had a harsher reader. But medical school applications are a crapshoot and you're never guaranteed a small pool/II/acceptance.

Sorry if it seems like I'm putting you on blast. I'm sure you'll still have a successful cycle and I hope for the best!

I have ZERO input into the admissions process and have no contact with the admissions committee, nor do I make any remarks about applicants to anyone. I have no idea of the details of anyone's applications, but that is the advice that I give to every single person considering reapplication. ZERO. ZERO.

Many people who apply to medical school two years in a row, myself included (I applied three times before getting in) find it difficult to get interviews; hopefulmd, you're absolutely right in that it's VERY DIFFICULT to improve an application significantly in a year; medical schools want to see longitudinal involvement AND, ideally, an increase in GPA or MCAT.

Applying to medical school is a difficult process, but there's absolutely no way for anyone but the school's admissions department to give you feedback on your application.

Some possible things that went wrong:

1. Your interview was mediocre or bad last year and admissions committees don't care to interview you again

2. They don't see your application as having changed significantly, regardless of whether or not it has, and they thus want to see more changes in your application, which is why I recommend applicants take a year or two in between application cycles instead of applying two years in a row.

3. The random nature of medical school admissions hit you this time instead of someone else

4. Medical school admissions got a lot more competitive.

Or it could be some combination of these factors.

Either way, I honestly wish you good luck and I hope you're accepted somewhere this year.

CMS' website is one of its weaknesses; they're working on it.

You're correct; my advice doesn't necessarily apply to you. I don't have your application, and I didn't read it, but I was speaking to common knowledge, that applying two years in a row means that your application may not have changed since they interviewed you.

I understand that it's frustrating to be interviewed one year and not the next; this process seems random and probably is a great deal more random than we all know. I hope that you get accepted somewhere, and I'm certain you'll be a great physician once you graduate.

dont know if I missed this but how many percent of the small pool is invited for the interview? Sorry if this is posted already

Many schools do not seriously re-consider applicants they interviewed in the previous cycle. There is very little that could have changed in such a short time and they already have all the infromation they need to make a decision (including your interview evals from a very short time ago). Best to try fresh fields.

I did the EXACT same thing... the vision only pops up when you click in the box, and I write all my essays in Word documents first so I didn't even see that until I went to actually submit. >> I basically just wrote a new paragraph clearly addressing the prompt they wanted, stuck it in with what I already wrote, and altered what I had already written slightly to make it more consistent with the vision they wanted. So we'll see how that goes haha.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. They're very receptive if something is confusing, so I'll bring this up to admissions the next time I see them.

dont know if I missed this but how many percent of the small pool is invited for the interview? Sorry if this is posted already

No one except the committee has any idea how big the small pool is or what percentage receives interviews. You have to be in the small pool to receive an interview, but being in the small pool does not guarantee you one.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. They're very receptive if something is confusing, so I'll bring this up to admissions the next time I see them.

No problem, glad I could be of assistance! Hoping to hear back [positively] soon... I feel like if I can just land some interviews I'll be in good shape.

No one except the committee has any idea how big the small pool is or what percentage receives interviews. You have to be in the small pool to receive an interview, but being in the small pool does not guarantee you one.

thx:thumbup: hope they give me one!

Has anyone been small-pooled/received interviews lately? complete dates?

Anyone complete on 8/2 not hear back yet at all?

Has anyone been small-pooled/received interviews lately? complete dates?

I received an interview invitation yesterday. I was small-pooled 9/26 and complete 8/15.

Anyone got the US News stats for interviewed:accepted?