2013-2014 University of North Dakota Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondaries were out in August, haven't heard anything about interviews.
I called this morning and admissions said the committee hasn't met to review applications yet so it will likely be a few more weeks before we hear anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for sharing this information. Very helpful!!!
I called this morning and admissions said the committee hasn't met to review applications yet so it will likely be a few more weeks before we hear anything.

Don't they start interviews in a few weeks? Last year's thread said letters went out this week and arrived early next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't they start interviews in a few weeks? Last year's thread said letters went out this week and arrived early next week.
In a typical year, yes, but with the AMCAS delays this summer it probably explains the pushed back schedule.

Are you suggesting they will delay the interview schedule they explicitly laid out? If it took a couple more weeks to get interview invites out some people would be getting invites the week of their interview, or less.

OOS Interview Invite today. Unlikely to attend, I hope that my slot will go to one of you fine SDNers!

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone else hear anything? I haven't
I also received an email interview invite today for Dec. 13. If you haven't heard back it could be that they haven't reviewed your app or that you didn't receive an automatic interview and it now goes in front of a review committee. I am OOS but I grew up in ND so I wasn't sure if I could get an automatic interview but I guess I made the cut.

A friend received an interview invite today via email, Dec. 20.

Dec. 19th here. Congrats to everyone else who's gotten an ii.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dec. 19 also. Good luck everyone.

I haven't heard a thing yet. YIKES! I'm in state. Would love to know more info from anyone who has or has not received an invite. Does this mean I didn't pass the automatic cut-off for interviews?

Neither have I, but I'm MN so not hoping for much anyways.

I haven't heard a thing yet. YIKES! I'm in state. Would love to know more info from anyone who has or has not received an invite. Does this mean I didn't pass the automatic cut-off for interviews?

I'm in state as well amd haven't heard anything. Not expecting much tho.

Does anyone know if they send rejection emails as well?

Just received word from a member of the admissions committee that they have not yet met to determine who they will offer interviews to aside from those who make the automatic cut off criteria. The slightly outdated info I have says they usually offer an additional 30-35 interview slots to those outside of the 130-135 who score highest on the point system.

I am in-state and have not received an invite as well. Do all of the automatic interviews go out on a single day or are the invites sent out in clusters? From the looks of last years forum and asking around I've been led to believe not all of the invites are sent out on a single day, but I may be wrong.

I sure hope you are right!

NDdoc671494 said:
Just received word from a member of the admissions committee that they have not yet met to determine who they will offer interviews to aside from those who make the automatic cut off criteria. The slightly outdated info I have says they usually offer an additional 30-35 interview slots to those outside of the 130-135 who score highest on the point system.
Unless their cutoff is significantly higher than the average matriculate last year (NoDak resident, >3.7, >28) or they changed the process, not all the auto interviews have been given out. It seems to be you're implying they have. You're making people panic saying this, so please be more careful and more specific when saying things from a point of authority.

For those of you worried, there should be more interviews coming out, though I have no idea when. Interviews do not all go out the same day, though many did last week.

Last edited:
Still haven't heard anything...
Aren't interviews really soon? I just want to know!

Unless things have changed considerably from the past, interviews will most likely be on the 13th, 14th, 19th, and 20th of December, and the first non-holiday weekend of January. INMED interviews will likely be January 25th or February 1st. In the past pretty much all iis went out at once and rejections followed shortly after. Given some of the delays and recent, pretty much complete, staff changes in admissions it think it's safe to expect a few delays. Also, I don't know if this is true or not but supposedly the date you're selected to interview has nothing to do with how you're ranked/how competitive you are. It's supposedly based on where you're located in relation to GF. I was told that by the former Dean of admissions several years ago, though I kind of think there may be a bit more to it than that.

My fiancé is a second year med student at UND and has friends on the admissions committee. Apparently (as of a couple days ago), they were only about half-way through the applications. I don't know if the students are seeing the apps after they have passed the automatic interview or before but don't panic just yet. My interview is coming up quick but I will try to shoot a comment to let you know how it goes and/or give a little advice. I wish you all the best!

Reactions: 2 users
My fiancé is a second year med student at UND and has friends on the admissions committee. Apparently (as of a couple days ago), they were only about half-way through the applications. I don't know if the students are seeing the apps after they have passed the automatic interview or before but don't panic just yet. My interview is coming up quick but I will try to shoot a comment to let you know how it goes and/or give a little advice. I wish you all the best!

I'm 90% sure that automatic iis are reviewed only by the Dean of admissions and apps for the remaining 20-40 interview spots are reviewed by the admissions committee as a whole.

How did everyone's interviews go for this weekend? Is it true that they base when your interview is off how far from campus you are? That seems strange to me.. most of the people I saw interviewing today were UND students so do they base it off of hometown??

How did everyone's interviews go for this weekend? Is it true that they base when your interview is off how far from campus you are? That seems strange to me.. most of the people I saw interviewing today were UND students so do they base it off of hometown??

Yeah based solely off of my Facebook news feed there were quite a few UND students who are interviewing this weekend. So I'm guessing the closer people are interviewing first.

The interview went well. It seemed quite conversational, lots of questions about experiences and what was gained from them. I am in-state so the theory about those close to UND interviewing earliest may be correct. None of those I interviewed with had to travel from out of state.

I am trying to determine if the MD/PhD Scholars Program at UND is funded (although it is not a MSTP) or if students are required to pay full tuition for both the MD and PhD portions of the program. If anyone is applying MD/PhD at UND this cycle or knows this information about the program I would greatly appreciate your insights.

Any fellow INMED applicants? Are we all interviewing on January 25th?

For future interviewee's: stress interviews apparently consist of fake sleeping and disinterest along with tablet use. I experienced a normal one, but others talk about the sleeping part as the stress part.

Results should be out late January/early Feb I was told. Best of luck to everyone

For future interviewee's: stress interviews apparently consist of fake sleeping and disinterest along with tablet use. I experienced a normal one, but others talk about the sleeping part as the stress part.

Results should be out late January/early Feb I was told. Best of luck to everyone

I definitely had an interviewer look as though he was falling asleep and another who played with her tablet the whole time. Here I just thought they were being rude. Ha! I hope ignoring it and pushing on was the right approach. Best Wishes to everyone who still has to interview.

I thought 01/04 was the last day of interview? Wrong infor?...

I was lead to believe that Jan 3/4 was the last weekend of interviews for the first round of acceptances.

It was for everyone but INMED applicants, who interview on 1/25. They voted and ranked all the applicants after interviews on Saturday, so letters should be going out in the next week or so. Hopefully there isn't a week-plus delay like last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was for everyone but INMED applicants, who interview on 1/25. They voted and ranked all the applicants after interviews on Saturday, so letters should be going out in the next week or so. Hopefully there isn't a week-plus delay like last year.

My anxiety level just increased! I thought decisions would not be released until the third week of January from what my interviewers said... Is there a different date for OOS students or will they send them out all at once? I am hoping for good news, but I know there are not very many spots for non-residents. Really enjoyed the school on my interview day.

Good luck to you all!

All letters go out at once. Last year the letters were typed an on the Dean's desk to be signed by the end of the second week of Jan. He was out of town and took his time signing them when he got back so they weren't mailed until the 18th. Plus there was a further delay due to a blizzard that hit after they were sent.

All letters go out at once. Last year the letters were typed an on the Dean's desk to be signed by the end of the second week of Jan. He was out of town and took his time signing them when he got back so they weren't mailed until the 18th. Plus there was a further delay due to a blizzard that hit after they were sent.

At my interview, I was told that all acceptances would now go out via e-mail. Do you know if this is accurate? If so, I would expect we would receive them more quickly than last year's class did.

Sounds good. Thank you for the information. Hopefully there will not be too many delays this season!

Just did some digging and it looks like two years ago letters went out by the end of the second week of January, so hopefully we'll know early next week.

Just did some digging and it looks like two years ago letters went out by the end of the second week of January, so hopefully we'll know early next week.

That's the impression I was getting as well from who I talked to up there. Starting to get nervous. Hope everyone's interviews went well and that we get some good news soon!

At my interview, I was told that all acceptances would now go out via e-mail. Do you know if this is accurate? If so, I would expect we would receive them more quickly than last year's class did.

I was told still snail mail for decision letters by the first years at my interview. They were wrong about some other info though, so it's anyone's guess. I wouldn't be opposed to e-mail if it meant finding-out sooner!

I was told still snail mail for decision letters by the first years at my interview. They were wrong about some other info though, so it's anyone's guess. I wouldn't be opposed to e-mail if it meant finding-out sooner!

I found this on UND's website: http://www.med.und.edu/student-affairs-admissions/application-process.cfm
All interviews will be completed before acceptances are offered. E-mails are sent out after the final interview weekend. It is not possible to let applicants know until the interviews are completed.

Accepted students are expected to respond via e-mail as to the applicant intent to accept or reject the offer. The applicant e-mail accepting the position at the School must be accompanied by a $100 deposit (to be applied to the first semester tuition).

• Information on how to pay the deposit electronically (credit card or web check) will accompany the acceptance e-mail from the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions.
  • The deposit may be refundable if the applicant submits an e-mail to the Office of Student Affairs and Admissions.

The non-INMED acceptance/wait list letters have always come out before INMED interviews have started, so I don't know why they would suddenly change. I do know that the committee has voted and all the interviewees have been ranked so I would still expect notifications next week based on past years.

The non-INMED acceptance/wait list letters have always come out before INMED interviews have started, so I don't know why they would suddenly change. I do know that the committee has voted and all the interviewees have been ranked so I would still expect notifications next week based on past years.

WillburrCobb, can't you tell them to hit send!!! ;)