2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks!
I received a generic rejection from Albany Psych Internship Consortium this afternoon.
Also heard from Baylor Med College- Ben Taub track today. They are requesting we rank our top 3 dates from: January 4, 7, 11, 14, & 25

Was the email from Baylor personalized? Congrats on the interview! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sorry to hear that. My advise is to focus much less on bolstering hours if you have to do this again. I think it's one of the less important areas. Once you have the minimum a site is looking for it isn't much of a consideration. If you're a PsyD perhaps these sites are looking for a demonstration that you are a competent consumer of literature (evidence based practice is such a big thing). Also, who are you letter writers and what kind of job did they do? Sometimes someone will think they wrote you an excellent letter but will not have enough experience with it to hit the marks that need to be hit. I would ask successful applicants to let you look at their applications! In and outside of your area.

AND You DO have a good chance at matching at your one interview! Focus on that. Good luck!

So I just noticed that the APPIC page for Rapp. Community Area Service Board was modified today (12/17) and the training director has changed...maybe this is why the news is taking longer to get out there?

Anybody email them yet?

Non personalized email rejection from Rapp. Community Area Service Board...

Members don't see this ad :)
Iron Mountain VA (Michigan) notification date is 1/10
Sioux Falls VA notification date is 12/28

So I wouldn't be expecting either of those for a while. I haven't heard from Indianapolis either, though they did send out invitations earlier according to this forum so I'm expecting a no-go from there.
I e-mailed the Indy VA yesterday and received an apology e-mail for not informing me, but it was a rejection. Just FYI

I posted this before, but does anyone know if you can get a refund for a site dropping out of the internship process? I just received an email from one site that stated they are no longer providing training.

I posted this before, but does anyone know if you can get a refund for a site dropping out of the internship process? I just received an email from one site that stated they are no longer providing training.

I had two sites drop out last year as well and my training director told me the fees were nonrefundable once you hit submit. That being said, I did not pursue the matter with APPIC and it seems absolutely ridiculous that we wouldn't receive refunds if it was the site's lack of communication or last minute withdrawal that was to blame. I'd be interested in hearing what APPIC says if you choose to pursue the matter!

Anyone heard from The Children's Assessment Center in Houston yet?

I think their interview notification deadline is Friday...but I'm getting anxious. I only have 4 interviews and 4 sites left to hear from.

At least the 4 interviews I have are 4 solid sites that I know I am a good fit for.

I have my first interview today and I am super excited! Thank you all for posting on here your experiences and questions.

Sorry! They do not appear to be organized as I received an email stating:

"My apologies for the confusion in notification. I am sorry to inform you that we are not able to offer you an interview for the 2013-2014 internship year. We received a very large number of applications and were not able to offer interviews to many excellent applicants like you. Thank you for applying to our program, and I wish you the best of luck."

Meanwhile this was the first communication I had received - seems like they accidentally invited their no invite list... these sites appear to be VERY unorganized this year! :smuggrin:

Ditto. Yeah... :laugh:

One of my sites did that too well past the application deadline :( I asked APPIC about a refund but have not received a reply. Please let us know if you do find out the answer and I'll do the same!

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone heard from Dakota Counseling? I've called, but still have not heard anything and it's a few days past their notification date.

Interview---LA County Dept of MH--please remind me that "it only takes one"!!!

Personalized email invite this morning for Temple's CORE track (Jan 17 and 21)--my last notification! I'm so relieved that I can stop checking this thread every 3 seconds. Thanks to everyone, and a special thanks to NYPrincess for her diligence and tremendous effort!

I wish you all the very best! I'm sure I'll be back here soon to see what people post about interviews.

Personalized email invite this morning for Temple's CORE track (Jan 17 and 21)--my last notification! I'm so relieved that I can stop checking this thread every 3 seconds. Thanks to everyone, and a special thanks to NYPrincess for her diligence and tremendous effort!

I wish you all the very best! I'm sure I'll be back here soon to see what people post about interviews.

Congratulations!! Has anyone heard from Temple's child anxiety track?

Hi

So I just got an email from Citrus Health Network (as it was one of the programs that I was waiting to receive a response from).

They wrote the following: This year is a very competitive year. We have begun a waiting list as we are pending response of several candidates to determine their availability for interviews. Your application was rated as a potentially strong candidate in our program and we would like to make you aware that although we did not send you an immediate notice for interviews, we may contact you in the near future to offer you an available slot.

Anyone who applied to Citrus received a similar email?

Also this can go out to anyone. Has anyone ever been wait listed and then later contacted you to invite you for an interview.I am just wondering what are the chances of them actually contacting you for an interview.

It isnt bad news but not the news that I was expecting as I have to do more waiting for them to tell me whether slots become open. :eek:

Hi

So I just got an email from Citrus Health Network (as it was one of the programs that I was waiting to receive a response from).

They wrote the following: This year is a very competitive year. We have begun a waiting list as we are pending response of several candidates to determine their availability for interviews. Your application was rated as a potentially strong candidate in our program and we would like to make you aware that although we did not send you an immediate notice for interviews, we may contact you in the near future to offer you an available slot.

Anyone who applied to Citrus received a similar email?

Also this can go out to anyone. Has anyone ever been wait listed and then later contacted you to invite you for an interview.I am just wondering what are the chances of them actually contacting you for an interview.

It isnt bad news but not the news that I was expecting as I have to do more waiting for them to tell me whether slots become open. :eek:

I am still waiting to hear from them. I even emailed them in question yesterday but my email was ignored.

Hey, at least you are on their waiting list! Good luck!

I am still waiting to hear from them. I even emailed them in question yesterday but my email was ignored.

Hey, at least you are on their waiting list! Good luck!

Thanks, I also emailed the DCT but she never responded to my email. I got an email today around 2 from someone else (guessing it was a faculty member) regarding my status. Hopefully they will let you know soon. the waiting game is really annoying.

But you should try checking your SPAM mail just in case. I actually received a notification from a site not too long in my SPAM mail box.

Anyone else wait listed at Citrus??

Or heard of waited listed students being invited for interviews later on?

I did not know that they actually put people on the waiting this. This is my second attempt applying to internships and I thought either they invited you for an interview or rejected you.

I finally got a generic email rejection from Lincoln Hospital earlier. About time!

Has anyone heard from I Ola Lahui Rural Behavioral Health either way? It's a few days past their notification deadline and I have not heard a response after emailing them. I'm wondering if it's appropriate to call so I can start making travel arrangements for my confirmed interviews?

Has anyone received an invitation for the following?
- Friends Hospital
- Temple University- MAD track
- Franciscan Hospital for Children

I appreciate your time posting updates about notifications! Thanks and good luck!

I just had to turn down an interview because all their dates conflicted with other interviews. Should I still rank the site? Is it even possible to match at your 10th or 11th site? People on here were talking about ranking sites where they didn't even interview but I was under the impression that you could really only match at your top 3 or MAYBE 4 sites. Any insight into this? I just don't want to screw up my chances just based on how I rank...

I just had to turn down an interview because all their dates conflicted with other interviews. Should I still rank the site? Is it even possible to match at your 10th or 11th site? People on here were talking about ranking sites where they didn't even interview but I was under the impression that you could really only match at your top 3 or MAYBE 4 sites. Any insight into this? I just don't want to screw up my chances just based on how I rank...

You theoretically could match anywhere you rank, as long as they rank you. I know a couple people who matched at their 4th or 5th site and one who matched at her 7th. If you decline an interview, though, the site may not rank you, so it would be worth clarifying with the program about their policies.

You theoretically could match anywhere you rank, as long as they rank you. I know a couple people who matched at their 4th or 5th site and one who matched at her 7th. If you decline an interview, though, the site may not rank you, so it would be worth clarifying with the program about their policies.

Thanks, I have no idea if they would rank me. I asked that along with their willingness to give me a skype or telephone interview. With 11 interviews, I'm not super worried about it but I don't want to ruin my chances anywhere. It was pretty painful to turn it down :(

Has anyone heard from I Ola Lahui Rural Behavioral Health either way? It's a few days past their notification deadline and I have not heard a response after emailing them. I'm wondering if it's appropriate to call so I can start making travel arrangements for my confirmed interviews?

Hi, I received a rejection email from them on Monday.

- Friends Hospital

I received an invite to Friends, but I also applied to Temple and have heard nothing!

- Friends Hospital

I appreciate your time posting updates about notifications! Thanks and good luck!

I haven't heard anything from the MAD track yet.

I found out that some sites will let you know if they are even considering you in the ranking process in January. This might help you understand the process a little while. Having more locations on your ranking list might give you more of a chance to match. Who knows though. I had to stack 3 interviews on one day which will be interesting.

Thanks, I have no idea if they would rank me. I asked that along with their willingness to give me a skype or telephone interview. With 11 interviews, I'm not super worried about it but I don't want to ruin my chances anywhere. It was pretty painful to turn it down :(

Yea I just went through an interview where I learned something new. Getting ranked by a site is not a guarantee. I thought it was even if you were 25th on the list.

Hi, I received a rejection email from them on Monday.

Thank you for the quick response! It helps to know they are notifying people. I'll wait a couple more days to see if I get anything before calling.

Yea I just went through an interview where I learned something new. Getting ranked by a site is not a guarantee. I thought it was even if you were 25th on the list.

From what I understand, if you were 25th on their list, you'd match only if the 24 above you were all matched elsewhere (assuming the site had 1 slot).

Um wow. So even if you want them and they want you, you might not match. I'm speechless :confused: :scared: :thumbdown:

Um wow. So even if you want them and they want you, you might not match. I'm speechless :confused: :scared: :thumbdown:

If they chose not to rank you, then you cannot rank them. So you could interview at ___ and still not have the chance to match if they don't rank you.

From what I understand, if you were 25th on their list, you'd match only if the 24 above you were all matched elsewhere (assuming the site had 1 slot).

But at least you would have that option... If they don't rank you at all there is no hope.

Hi there, I got an invitation from there late last night. Interview dates 24 and 25 Jan :)

Oh ok. I thought you were saying EVEN if they rank you, you could not match. You may not if there are people they want more than you that also want the site but not if you rank them and there is a spot for you.

Oh ok. I thought you were saying EVEN if they rank you, you could not match. You may not if there are people they want more than you that also want the site but not if you rank them and there is a spot for you.

Yea. You are correct. If they want you and they rank you, you could match with them. But in the case the chose not to consider you in the running, you cannot rank them and be matched.

Gotcha. I was aware of that but thanks for clarifying. Hope your interview today went well!

Gotcha. I was aware of that but thanks for clarifying. Hope your interview today went well!

They are an amazing staff and their training seems like it would be a great fit :). I have 11 more to go but they moved further up on my list.

If they chose not to rank you, then you cannot rank them. So you could interview at ___ and still not have the chance to match if they don't rank you.

So will we know if they rank us?

p.s. Got a a generic rejection from Citrus today. Guess I'm focusing on the two interviews I got at great sites and give em hell during interviews.

So will we know if they rank us?

p.s. Got a a generic rejection from Citrus today. Guess I'm focusing on the two interviews I got at great sites and give em hell during interviews.

Good question. I had my first interview and they said they would let me know. I hope I get ranked by them because their program seems to be a very supportive place to transition from student to professional psychologist.

Good question. I had my first interview and they said they would let me know. I hope I get ranked by them because their program seems to be a very supportive place to transition from student to professional psychologist.

Is this the norm? Do sites let you know they will be ranking you post-interview or before match?

I'm guessing no one has heard from Ancora? And the person who emailed them didn't get a response either? Anyone? Bueller?

Is this the norm? Do sites let you know they will be ranking you post-interview or before match?

They will be letting us know whether or not we will still be considered. Unsure if it is the norm but at least they are kind enough so that way we aren't ranking them when there is no chance of placement.