2014-2015 APPIC (internship) interview thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Invite
Yale School of Medicine, The Consultation Center
Personal email on 11/20
Interview date: 1/5

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
was mt. washington's invitation individualized?

Members don't see this ad :)
Our university actually had a lottery. You are forbidden to apply to those sites unless you "win" the lottery, to minimize the that your school's interns get kicked out of consideration.

Imagine similar scenario occuring in any other contexts. "We will only consider 6 individuals from (insert town name here, insert race here, insert religius affilated here, insert hair color here). If you violate this, you will ALL be disqualified." The media and EEO attourneys would have a field day!

Discrimination is alive and well. The current climate has only taught us there are some things you can get sued for in you say/write it overtly.

Central Alabama Veterans Healthcare System (CAVHCS) mass email invitation sent on 11/20/14. General track. Interview dates offered on the following Thursdays: December 11, January 8, January 15, January 22, and January 29.

Also rejected by Western State Hospital. Is it too early to ask for feedback about rejected apps from sites?

VA Puget Sound - Seattle via mass email, just now (11/20). Open house (not a formal interview) is on 1/6. HOWEVER, the email states "we have some additional reviews and notifications to complete," so don't despair if you haven't heard yet!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
has anyone received a rejection from mt. washington?. I havent heard anything yet and i know the invitations have been sent already.

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone received a rejection from mt. washington?. I havent heard anything yet and i know the invitations have been sent already.

I haven't received a rejection or invitation.. curious.

I got an email saying I will be invited for an interview soon from the Nebraska Internship Consortium, BSDC, on Tuesday. Looked like a mass email. :)

I got an email saying I will be invited for an interview soon from the Nebraska Internship Consortium, BSDC, on Tuesday. Looked like a mass email. :)

Congrats! Any other tracks hear back from Nebraska Consortium?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to multiple tracks, but only heard from BSDC.
--edit: extra post but it won't let me delete. Sorry.

Interview invite 11/20 Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital (general track) - personalized email - dates of the interviews are January 6, January 13 and January 20. Excited! :woot:

congrats to the Mt Washington ppl! Wonder if I should consider myself informally rejected if I didn't get Invite today...thought I was a good fit too. Oh well +pity+

"Due to increasing numbers of applications, we limit the number of applications we will consider from any one program or school to no more than six (6). We are relying on the graduate programs’ faculty and Training Directors to discuss these issues with their students and encourage only those who are competitive and truly interested in our program to apply. If we receive more than six (6) applicants from any one school/program, we will not consider ANY applicant from that school/program. For institutions that have both Ph.D. and Psy.D. programs in the same department, we will consider a total of only six (6) in any combination from that school. For schools that have different departments offering doctoral level professional training (e.g., a university offering a Ph.D. in counseling psychology out of the Education Department and a Ph.D. in clinical psychology out of the Psychology Department) we will consider up to six (6) applications from each of the different departments."

Why should this be? What exactly is the problem here, and who benefits from the stated policy?[/QUOTE]

Think about where they are. I can imagine they do this to limit getting about 40 applications from one school in particular.

Has anyone received a rejection from FCC Petersberg? I know that the BOP invitations went out to fill out the federal employment application so I am assuming not hearing by now means rejection?
I don't think anyone who hasn't heard from a BOP is applicable as a candidate anymore. The federal employment application was only open online from Nov. 10-18, so now that that window is closed, I don't think anyone can proceed with applying if they didn't fill it out, and you couldn't fill it out without a direct invite. I suppose it never hurts to contact them, but I'm not sure it's even a possibility just with the government red tape technicality. :/

I haven't received anything.

Interview invite 11/20 Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital (general track) - personalized email - dates of the interviews are January 6, January 13 and January 20. Excited! :woot:
Yes congrats to those who had invites but i have given up

Yes congrats to those who had invites but i have given up
This process is nerve-racking. In fact, everyone I have talked to who has gone through the match process has experienced some level of doubt. However, it is still early. Do not give up yet!

Hi all,

I decided to help out and start the thread for interviews. I copied @futureapppsy2's text from last year because it was so well-organized, so thanks and credit to her!

This post will be a running list of which internship sites have notified applicants (either interview invites or rejections). When you get a notification from a site, please either post it within this thread or PM to it me (click my username and then "start conversation") if you wish to remain anonymous. I'll update the list often!

Please include the following information

-Site name

-Date notified

-Invite or rejection

-Track (please specify even for general tracks)

-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone)

-Interview dates offered

Thanks and good luck!

===================================================================

Invitations (updated 11/20; new listings in bold with updated information for a site in blue)

Baruch College CC--received 11/17 via personalized email (General); interviews on 12/12.

Baylor College of Medicine--received 11/19 via email (Geriatric Mental Health Research); interviews on 1/12, 1/16, 1/26, 1/30.

Boston University Center for Multicultural Training--received 11/17 via mass email (General); interviews on 11/20.

Children's Hospital of Michigan--received 11/20 via personalized email (Pediatric Neuro); interviews on 12/8, 12/10, 12/16, 1/7, 1/10, 1/12, 1/14.

Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota--received 11/13 via personalized email (General); interviews on 12/15, 12/18, 12/19.

Children's National (D.C.)--received 11/20 via phone call (General); interviews on 1/7, 1/14

Cincinnati Children's Hospital--received 11/11 via phone call (Child Clinical); interviews on 12/19, 1/9. Received 11/17 via phone call (Behavioral Medicine); interviews on 12/18.

Community Healthlink--received 11/18 via personalized email (General); interviews on 12/22, 1/5, 1/7

Connecticut VA--received 11/19 via personalized email (SMI); interviews on 12/18, 1/8, 1/15.

FCC Butner-- invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/10 via mass email (Inpatient Forensic); interview dates to be given after application is completed.

FCC Petersburg--invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/7 via personalized email (General).

FCI Fort Worth--invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/10 via mass email (General).

FCI Terminal Island--invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/6 via mass email (General).

Florida State University Goldhagen Multidisciplinary Evaluation Center--received 11/18 via personalized email (General); interviews on 12/15, 12/17, 12/18.

FMC Carswell--invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/7 via personalized email (General).

FMC Devens--invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/10 via personalized email (General).

FMC Lexington--invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/10 via mass email (General); interview dates to be given after application is completed.

Geisinger Medical Center--received 11/12 via phone call (Adult); interviews on 12/12, 12/15, 12/18, 12/19, 1/5, 1/9. Received 11/14 via mass email (Child Clinical/Pediatric ); interviews on 12/1, 12/4, 12/10, 1/5, 1/14, 1/22, 1/23, 1/26.

Greater Hartford Clinical Psychology Internship Consortium/Newington CT--received 11/19 via mass email (General); interviews on 12/5, 12/12, 12/19, 1/9, 1/16.

Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation (Minneapolis, MN)--received 11/12 via personalized email (Adult); interviews on 12/19, 1/5.

Hennepin County Medical Center--received 11/14 via personalized email; interviews on 1/5, 1/9.

Henry Ford Health Sciences Center--received 11/17 (rolling invites) via mass email (Consultation-Liaison/Medically Complex); interviews on 12/19, 1/9, 1/16, 1/23, 1/30.

James H. Quillen VA (Mountain Home, TN)--received 11/18 via phone call (General); interviews on 12/8,
12/12, 12/15.

Kings County Hospital Center--received 11/7 via personalized email (Adult); interview 11/18. Received 11/17 via personalized email (Child/Adolescent); interviews on 12/9, 12/19.

Lancaster General Health--received 11/20 via mass email (Neuro); interviews on 1/8.

Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital at Stanford/Children's Health Council--received 11/19 via personalized email (General); interviews on 1/7, 1/8, 1/12, 1/15.

McGaw School of Medicine, Northwestern--received 11/4 via phone call (LGBT); interviews on 1/14, 1/15.

Massachusetts Mental Health Center/Beth Israel/Harvard Medical--received 11/20 via mass email (General); interviews on 12/15.

Mercy Children's Hospital--received 11/14 via phone call (Clinical Child); interviews on 1/12, 1/13.
Received 11/14 via phone call (Pediatrics); interviews on 1/12, 1/13

Nationwide Children's Hospital--received 11/19 via mass and personalized emails (IDD/DD); interviews on 12/11, 1/8 1/22. Received 11/20 via phone call (Pediatrics); interviews on 12/15, 12/16, 12/19, 1/5.

Northeastern Oklahoma Psychology Internship Program--received 11/18 via personalized email (Tulsa Center for Child Psychology); interviews on 1/13, 1/14

NYU-Bellevue--received 11/17 via personalized email (Adult); interviews on 12/12, 12/16; Received 11/17 via mass email (Forensic); interviews on 12/12. Received 11/17 via mass email (Child); interviews on 12/5.

Ohio State University--received 11/18 via mass email (Health); interviews on 1/9, 1/12.

Pittsburgh VA--received 11/17 via mass email (General); interviews on 12/8, 1/5, 1/12, 1/21.

Puget Sound, Seattle VA--received 11/17 (rolling invites) via personalized email (General); no interviews; open house held on 1/6.

Rush University Medical Center--received 11/7 via mass email (Neuropsych); interviews on 1/9, 1/12, 1/13, 1/15.

Rutgers Behavioral Health Care (Piscataway)--received 11/10 via personalized email; interviews on 12/19.

Spring Grove Hospital--received 11/18 via personalized email (General/Adult); interviews on 12/8, 12/10, 12/15, 12/17.

Syracuse VA Medical Center--received 11/7 via personalized email (General); interviews on 12/8, 12/19, 1/9, 1/12. Received 11/14 via personalized email; interviews on 12/8, 12/19, 1/9, 1/12

University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences--received 11/17 via personalized email (Adult); interviews on 12/17, 1/9. Received 11/17 via personalized email (Child); interviews on 12/8, 12/12, 1/12, 1/23.

University of Chicago Medicine--received 11/14 via personalized email (Adult Neuropsych); interviews on 1/9, 1/16/ 1/23, 1/30. Received 11/14 via mass email (Pediatric Neuropsych); interviews on 1/9, 1/16, 1/23, 1/30. Received 11/15 via mass email (Adult/Health); interviews on 1/9, 1/16, 1/23, 1/30.

University of Florida Health Sciences--received 11/18 via personalized email (Health); interviews on 1/9, 1/16, 1/23. Received personalized email (Child Clinical/Pediatric); interviews on 1/9, 1/16, 1/23.

University of North Carolina--invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/10 via mass email and 11/11 via personalized email (Clinical Forensic); interview dates to be given after application is completed.

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill UCC--received 11/14 via mass email (General); phone interviews on 12/8-12/15.

University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center--received 11/19 via mass email (General/Adult); interviews on 12/15, 12/22, 1/6, 1/12, 1/26; Received 11/19 via mass email (Pediatric/Child Clinical); interviews on 12/12, 12/19, 1/9, 1/16, 1/23. Received 11/20 via phone call (Neuro); interviews on (waiting to hear)

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine--received on 11/7 via personalized email (General); interviews on 12/17, 12/19, 1/5, 1/12, 1/21.

US Medical Center for Federal Prisoners--invite to complete temporary federal employment application received 11/6 via mass email (General); interview dates to be given in December.

Utah State Hospital--received 11/14 via personalized email (all tracks); interviews on 12/8, 12/9, 12/10, 12/11.

WellSpan Behavioral Health--received 11/15 via email (General); interviews on 12/4, 12/5, 12/11, 12/12.

Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center--received 10/31 via personalized email; open houses on 12/4, 12/5, 1/15, 1/16.

4givr, was the Connecticut VA West Haven or Newington?
That would be West Haven, SMI Track. They said that if I applied to any other tracks they will be making the decision separately.

South Texas VA interview invite. Seemed to be all tracks, but at least gero and trauma. Mass email on 11/21.

Interviews:
December 9, 10, 11, & 12, 2014 (8:00am-1:00pm)

January 7, 8, & 9, 2015 (8:00am-1:00pm)

January 14, 15, & 16, 2015 (8:00am-1:00pm)

Last edited:
For the Peds Psych people, it seems like this is a pretty tough year with a lot of very qualified applicants interested in competitive sites. I did receive an invite from Mt. Washington and the email asked me to inform them asap whether I would attend the interview and which day. I assume that rejections haven't been sent out because they are waiting for people to get back to them and will likely invite more applicants if others are unable to attend. I haven't received a rejection from Cincinnati, Children's Mercy, or Children's Hospital of Michigan yet even though they have invited their first wave of applicants so I am hoping the same goes for these sites. It isn't over until the rejection is in my inbox. Keep your head up and goodluck!

Invite at South Texas VHMC
South Texas VA gero and trauma tracks. Mass email on 11/21.

Woohoo ditto! Congrats!

Official Rejection
Cincinnati Children's
Clinical Child and Bx Med
Personal Email on 11/21

For the Peds Psych people, it seems like this is a pretty tough year with a lot of very qualified applicants interested in competitive sites. I did receive an invite from Mt. Washington and the email asked me to inform them asap whether I would attend the interview and which day. I assume that rejections haven't been sent out because they are waiting for people to get back to them and will likely invite more applicants if others are unable to attend. I haven't received a rejection from Cincinnati, Children's Mercy, or Children's Hospital of Michigan yet even though they have invited their first wave of applicants so I am hoping the same goes for these sites. It isn't over until the rejection is in my inbox. Keep your head up and goodluck!

At least for Mercy, I believe their website said that invites would go out by 11/20 --- so I am logging that one as a big 'ol negative.

South Texas VA interview invite. Seemed to be all tracks, but at least gero and trauma. Mass email on 11/21.

Interviews:

I got an invite for the Primary Care/Health Psych track at STVHCS.

Same, but I like how nicely worded it was.

I'm so curious at what a nicely worded one sounds like.. Any chance you'd share some of it? Someone shared one I think last year that was just mean, would be kinda nice to see the opposite!

I'm so curious at what a nicely worded one sounds like.. Any chance you'd share some of it? Someone shared one I think last year that was just mean, would be kinda nice to see the opposite!
The faculty of the O'Grady Residency in Psychology Internship Program would like to thank you for your interest in our program. We were very pleased that our program continues to receive a large number of highly competitive applications for our internship positions.

After carefully reviewing of each of our applications, we have decided to conduct only a few personal interviews so that we can find the closest matches to our program and save expenses for those who have not been ranked as high. I regret to inform you that you were not selected to be among the applicants we will interview during our second stage of selection.

I wish you the best in locating a quality internship that provides a good fit with your background and interests. Please feel free to contact us in the future should you have an interest in one of our many postdoctoral training opportunities (website: http://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/education/clinical/fellowship/beh-med/contact/).

Reactions: 4 users
Interview notifications from Nebraska Internship Consortium have all gone out now. Personalized email going backward through the last name alphabet.

Has anyone else heard from Marcus? I saw one post on here about it but I was wondering if anyone else had heard from them.

Reading Hospital interview invite!
Personal email
Interviews are December 9, 15, and 16, 2014 and January 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, and 20, 2015

Reactions: 3 users

It should also be noted that they dont offer different dates --- they assign you a date.

Interview notifications from Nebraska Internship Consortium have all gone out now. Personalized email going backward through the last name alphabet.

Has anyone else heard from Marcus? I saw one post on here about it but I was wondering if anyone else had heard from them.

How do you know re: NICPP?

I haven't heard either way from Marcus.

Just got an interview invite (11/21) for the Psychology Internship at Children's Hospital of Michigan. Personal email, interview dates are the same as those noted in the master list.

Reactions: 3 users
I have friends who all applied to different tracks and we have all heard back.
Just found my interview invite in my spam folder! Oh my gosh. I'm so glad I've been checking.

NICPP Munroe Meyer (Autism Track)
Personalized email received today (11/21)
They assigned me to a specific interview date.

Just got an interview invite (11/21) for the Psychology Internship at Children's Hospital of Michigan. Personal email, interview dates are the same as those noted in the master list.

Congrats and goodluck! Nothing in my inbox...looks like I'm 1 for 4

Oh, darn! I applied there, too. Good luck with the interview!

Me too. I felt like it was a good match, but must admit that I was a bit nervous bc they tend to like PsyD students (only 1 out of 12 of their interns in the past three years was a PhD). :(

Phone call interview invite (just now) for DC VA (general)!!! Interviews on 1/8, 1/9, and 1/12.

Reactions: 4 users
Me too. I felt like it was a good match, but must admit that I was a bit nervous bc they tend to like PsyD students (only 1 out of 12 of their interns in the past three years was a PhD). :(

:( As another testament to my anxiety appeasing habits, I listed the percentage of applicants that each of my sites actually interviews- and Reading was one of the lowest at 21%. My very lowest was Denver Health Medical at 6%..

Interview invitation for Reading Hospital - semi-personalized email on 11/21. Interview dates =
December 9, 15, and 16, 2014 as well as January 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, and 20, 2015.