2014-2015 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.
If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so.

The following questions are designed to assess ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit each answer to a maximum of 2500 characters.

The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.

What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.

Please answer only one of the following three questions:

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Applying OOS! I really like this program, and am very intrigued by the guaranteed specialty business. Anyone know how competitive that is, and what kind of applicants the residency programs accept?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here as well. I love the condensed curriculum.

Applying OOS! I really like this program, and am very intrigued by the guaranteed specialty business. Anyone know how competitive that is, and what kind of applicants the residency programs accept?

are you talking about the accelerated 3 year program?

I haven't delved into the numbers, so don't quote me! haha, but from what I recall reading its very competitive, as the residency spots they hold are 1-2 for each specialty I believe. You don't apply to it until after you hold their regular MD acceptance though.

Applying OOS. What a great-looking and flexible set of curricula NYU has!

I was just granted deferral after acceptance off of the waitlist this year. I look forward to meeting those who end up at NYU as well! Good luck to everyone!

Applying as a native New Yorker, but my stats make this a long shot. Fingers crossed, good luck everyone!

Correct me if I am wrong, but OOS and IS does not matter for NYU right?

Members don't see this ad :)
1)If applicable, please comment on significant fluctuations in your academic record which are not explained elsewhere on your application.

2)The following questions are designed to assess ways in which you embody our institution’s core values. Please limit each answer to a maximum of 2500 characters.

The Admissions Committee uses a holistic approach to evaluate a wide range of student qualities and life experiences that are complementary to demonstrated academic excellence, strong interpersonal skills and leadership potential.

What unique qualities or experiences do you possess that would contribute specifically to the NYU School of Medicine community?

3)The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.
4)
Please answer only one of the following three questions:

1. The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?
  2. Conflicts arise daily from differences in perspectives, priorities, worldviews and traditions. How do you define respect? Describe a situation in which you found it challenging to remain respectful while facing differences?
  3. Describe a situation in which working with a colleague, family member or friend has been challenging. How did you resolve, if at all, the situation as a team and what did you gain from the experience that will benefit you as a future health care provider?

Yup just got it too.

Just got it. Does NYU prescreen for secondaries?? :)

how do med students like this school? ?

Got the secondary earlier today :) I didn't get to pre-write this one but I've been able to use some essays that I used for other schools so I'm going to try to finish and submit by tonight. Seems like a great school!

Just submitted! I didn't realize the three-year MD pathway was part of this application - I just figured it was something you applied to once you were already accepted. Anyone else here applying to it?

Just submitted! I didn't realize the three-year MD pathway was part of this application - I just figured it was something you applied to once you were already accepted. Anyone else here applying to it?
I think it'd be a great opportunity, but I don't think I have compelling enough reasons to apply for it.

I'm applying to it as well. The 3 year program was probably the biggest draw for me to apply to NYU since it wasn't really on my radar before I saw that was an option.

for
The ultimate goal of our institution is to produce a population of physicians with a collective desire to improve health of all segments of our society through the outstanding patient care, research and education. In this context, where do you see your future medical career (academic medicine, research, public health, primary care, business/law, etc.) and why? Your answer need not be restricted to one category. If your plans require that you complete a dual degree program, please elaborate here.
what could be some categories in the "etc." part of the question?

In their email they state " DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ANYTHING"

Does it really matter? Why do they and other schools say this?

In their email they state " DO NOT COPY AND PASTE ANYTHING"

Does it really matter? Why do they and other schools say this?

I think it has to do with formatting. Copy and paste, and then proofread what you pasted to make sure it is what you intended it to be.

I think it has to do with formatting. Copy and paste, and then proofread what you pasted to make sure it is what you intended it to be.

This is what I figured. Med school admissions does funny things to the human brain. "Ahhh if I copy and paste they will know this and cancel my app even though its original work!?!?BLAHADHFDKAF" Stupid. Haha

Should i bother applying here?

OOS, cali resident, 31 MCAT, 3.7 MCAT, great research experience with multiple publications and presentations, i also am a nationally certified EMT, i started up a youth mentorship project in my community, it's really the MCAT that's holding me back. what do you guys think?

"If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so."

For those taking a gap year, did anyone interpret the last part as the specific reason they took a gap year? Or the reasons why we chose our activities during the gap year?

I applied last cycle and will be attending NYU this fall so if anyone has questions about the application process or interviews, feel free to ask! I'll have time to check often before orientation starts!

"If you have taken any time off from your studies, either during or after college, please describe what you have done during this time and your reasons for doing so."

For those taking a gap year, did anyone interpret the last part as the specific reason they took a gap year? Or the reasons why we chose our activities during the gap year?

I interpreted it as your latter reason and it worked out. But I think you can interpret it either way if you have an answer to both.

Reactions: 1 users
Is anyone else having a tremendously hard time with this secondary? I have been working on this one for days. It is my top choice, and NYU is my alma mater, AND I volunteered and did research in the NYU system. I guess it just feels like too much is on the line...

Is anyone else having a tremendously hard time with this secondary? I have been working on this one for days. It is my top choice, and NYU is my alma mater, AND I volunteered and did research in the NYU system. I guess it just feels like too much is on the line...

Totally empathize with you. I keep bouncing between all three of the extra prompts... and I haven't even written the first two essays.
Secondaries are stress-inducing because (like the PS) you never quite feel like you've achieved a perfect product. I could sink a full month of heavy writing and editing into a single secondary and not feel completely satisfied. :(

Reactions: 2 users
Totally empathize with you. I keep bouncing between all three of the extra prompts... and I haven't even written the first two essays.
Secondaries are stress-inducing because (like the PS) you never quite feel like you've achieved a perfect product. I could sink a full month of heavy writing and editing into a single secondary and not feel completely satisfied. :(

So glad I'm not alone! This is definitely the hardest one for me, that that includes the really long ones from UChicago lol. Putting it to sleep tonight and going to restart tomorrow, sigh.

finally submitted! definitely was one of my harder ones. top 3 choice for me though!

I applied last cycle and will be attending NYU this fall so if anyone has questions about the application process or interviews, feel free to ask! I'll have time to check often before orientation starts!

I interpreted it as your latter reason and it worked out. But I think you can interpret it either way if you have an answer to both.

Ah, thank you!

@starlight15 if you got into NYU you most likely got into other great schools. Why did this one stand out, was it the city, 3 year program, their prestige?

1. "The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?"
So I had a question regarding this question. I co-founded a tutoring company and wanted to discuss that as my proud personal accomplishment, but I am not sure if that counts as academic or not. Although the business revolves around education (academics), the personal accomplishment is more of the starting a business aspect. Anyone have ideas that could help me out? Thanks guys and good luck!

1. "The most meaningful achievements are often non-academic in nature. Describe the personal accomplishment that makes you most proud. Why is this important to you?"
So I had a question regarding this question. I co-founded a tutoring company and wanted to discuss that as my proud personal accomplishment, but I am not sure if that counts as academic or not. Although the business revolves around education (academics), the personal accomplishment is more of the starting a business aspect. Anyone have ideas that could help me out? Thanks guys and good luck!
in my opinion thats acceptable. It seems like what they are saying is talk about something besides "I got a 4.0, graduated magna cum laude, got a scholarship, etc..."

Doesn't academic medicine include research? What's their definition of academic medicine?

Did anybody else have a glitch where the space where you enter courses didn't show up on the application? i had to manually change the url because my application skipped from page 1 to page 3...

@starlight15 if you got into NYU you most likely got into other great schools. Why did this one stand out, was it the city, 3 year program, their prestige?

Financial aid was one of the top factors I took into consideration when deciding schools and I was fortunate to receive the most aid from NYU. BUT if money wasn't a factor, NYU would still have been my top choice. Some reasons, in no particular order:

1) P/F grading in preclinical years
2) 1.5 preclinical
3) training at Bellevue
4) global health opportunities- through their International Health Program or as an area of concentration in 3rd year
5) 4 or 5 year MPH program
6) living in NYC!

Is anyone else having trouble submitting the tertiary application?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the character limit is/if there is a character limit for the essays on Page 1 of the Secondary Application portion?

Did anyone upload anything under additional information? Is this intended for updates, a CV or...?

Also, does applying for a program like MD/MPA also consider you for MD alone? Like selecting MD/MPA won't make it harder to get accepted? Is this something you ultimately apply for/decide to do after getting accepted to the MD program?

Did anyone upload anything under additional information? Is this intended for updates, a CV or...?

Also, does applying for a program like MD/MPA also consider you for MD alone? Like selecting MD/MPA won't make it harder to get accepted? Is this something you ultimately apply for/decide to do after getting accepted to the MD program?

I'm relatively sure (don't take this as guaranteed truth) they either consider you for both or only consider you if you would be accepted for MD anyways. That's how most schools do it anyways.

Just added this school, I went here for work right after the hurricane a couple years ago. Amazing campus and doctors. I really need to get rid of my Visa credit card so that I cannot keep adding schools, it's bad!