2014-2015 New York University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm relatively sure (don't take this as guaranteed truth) they either consider you for both or only consider you if you would be accepted for MD anyways. That's how most schools do it anyways.

Awesome, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know what the character limit is/if there is a character limit for the essays on Page 1 of the Secondary Application portion?

Im not sure that there is one? Please tell me if im wrong though!

For people who have gotten to the tertiary - can you post the essay prompts? Or say what it asks of you?

NYU is on the top of my list because of the three year program!

Members don't see this ad :)
For people who have gotten to the tertiary - can you post the essay prompts? Or say what it asks of you?

NYU is on the top of my list because of the three year program!
if you've gotten the secondary you can look at them already... otherwise

1.) Please select the residency program you wish to apply to:
2.) Please describe your motivation for pursuing a residency, detailing how past experiences have shaped your desire to pursue this career path.
3.) What do you believe the three most important qualities are that make for not only a successful resident, but ultimately an ideal physician in this field?

if you've gotten the secondary you can look at them already... otherwise

1.) Please select the residency program you wish to apply to:
2.) Please describe your motivation for pursuing a residency, detailing how past experiences have shaped your desire to pursue this career path.
3.) What do you believe the three most important qualities are that make for not only a successful resident, but ultimately an ideal physician in this field?

Sorry, I missed that. Thank you for sharing!

EDIT: Follow-up question - How are you all differentiating your answer to the secondary question about your future medical career and the tertiary question about your motivation for pursuing a residency? I explained why I want to go into emergency medicine in my future career essay, so explaining it again in the tertiary essay seems redundant. Advice?

The future medical career question was more along the lines of what type of medicine you want to practice, ie research heavy, academic (which also involves research with more teaching involved), heavy clinical, etc.

The motivation for pursuing the residency question, although similar, should focus more on field specific attraction, ie I love the rush of emergency medicine.

best of luck

Reactions: 1 user
Finally submitted! Now on to the Tertiary :yeahright:

I assume that like most schools NYU will automatically get LORs from AMCAS.
AMCAS has my letters but it says that NYU hasn't received any of them... does anyone else have this? Is there something more we're supposed to do for NYU in terms of LORs or do they request them later? I submitted my secondary and that didn't solve it...!
Thanks

AMCAS has my letters but it says that NYU hasn't received any of them... does anyone else have this? Is there something more we're supposed to do for NYU in terms of LORs or do they request them later? I submitted my secondary and that didn't solve it...!
Thanks
I've found that it takes most schools a few days to download the letters after submission of the secondary.

Thanks

Just give it a couple days. They'll get them

Does the school review your primary and secondary, and THEN if accepted, the residency director reviews your tertiary?

I ask because I just submitted my secondary, but I am so backed up with other secondaries I am wondering if I should take the time now to submit the tertiary? I am extremely interested in NYU's 3 year program, so I don't want to mess myself up by not submitting...but will waiting a week to do the tertiary kill me?

You can wait until you're accepted to the 4 year track before filling it out if you wanted. No need to rush it! They won't consider it until you're accepted to NYU first.

Reactions: 1 users
Submitting my Secondary today. 38 MCAT not too much volunteer/shadow experience, decent research experience.

Any thoughts on my chances?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Complete on the 11th....huge reach...show me some love NYU definitely top 2/3

Are all essays that GTLO posted limited to 2500 characters including the pick 1 of 3 question?

Anyone have experience with how long NYU takes to refresh your letter status? Uploaded mine 4 days ago but still shows as missing on my account.

Anyone have experience with how long NYU takes to refresh your letter status? Uploaded mine 4 days ago but still shows as missing on my account.

They said they are having technical difficulties with uploading the letters. I've been waiting a week since submitting my secondary and it still hasn't updated...
Concerning, but admissions office said not be worried. Guess there isn't much we can do!

Hey yo!

I have a couple of questions that I hope you don't mind answering.

When did you submit your secondary and when did you hear back for an interview? What was the MMI like?

NYU's secondary seriously emphasizes evaluating their applicants with a holistic view, do you think that's genuinely true or are they paying lip service?

Lastly, this may sound silly but I copy/pasted my essays into the secondary app. I know last year and the year before anyone who did that didn't know their essay was going to get botched up and when they submitted they saw how funky it got. This time, though, I did copy/paste my essay (I really should've scrolled down the WHOLE email rather than just looking for my log-in info), but my formatting after submission was completely fine.

On last year's secondary, NYU put at the end of each essay question, "Do not copy and paste, please type." But this year that clause was removed. So assuming my formatting didn't appear like junk after submission (unlike previous year's applicants who did this accidentally) + that clause being removed from the secondary entirely (but not in their email) -- can I assume that formatting won't be an issue?

:oops:

Thank you!

Would also like to know about the formatting!

Hey yo!

I have a couple of questions that I hope you don't mind answering.

When did you submit your secondary and when did you hear back for an interview?

I submitted my secondary and was complete mid-August and got an interview invite in mid-September.

What was the MMI like?

MMI was interesting....This was my only MMI during my interview cycle so I don't have any other MMIs to compare it to. I feel that I prefer the traditional interviews more because I can have an actual conversation with the interviewer and make a connection with them. A couple people in my interview group enjoyed it though.

NYU's secondary seriously emphasizes evaluating their applicants with a holistic view, do you think that's genuinely true or are they paying lip service?

I would say they do, granted I don't know much about the selection process apart from my own experiences. Of course, it's still important to be around their median MCAT and GPAs, but they definitely look at more than stats.

Lastly, this may sound silly but I copy/pasted my essays into the secondary app. I know last year and the year before anyone who did that didn't know their essay was going to get botched up and when they submitted they saw how funky it got. This time, though, I did copy/paste my essay (I really should've scrolled down the WHOLE email rather than just looking for my log-in info), but my formatting after submission was completely fine. On last year's secondary, NYU put at the end of each essay question, "Do not copy and paste, please type." But this year that clause was removed. So assuming my formatting didn't appear like junk after submission (unlike previous year's applicants who did this accidentally) + that clause being removed from the secondary entirely (but not in their email) -- can I assume that formatting won't be an issue?

Last year I copied and pasted (...not accidentally though oops haha) and it seemed like the formatting turned out fine after submitting. I did make sure I changed the apostrophes and quotation marks once it was in the secondary since those are the ones most likely to get weird formatting.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
II SO EXCITED OH MY GOSH I'M SO EXCITED

Reactions: 5 users
II SO EXCITED OH MY GOSH I'M SO EXCITED

wow, you are making out like a bandit with all these II's, every school-specific thread i've been going to, I see your name. It must be a great feeling, congrats to you! Crossing my fingers over here for just 1

Reactions: 2 users
wow, you are making out like a bandit with all these II's, every school-specific thread i've been going to, I see your name. It must be a great feeling, congrats to you! Crossing my fingers over here for just 1
There is some major X factor going on here. Congrats!

FIRST II beyond excited!

Last edited:

There is some major X factor going on here. Congrats!

Thank you so much you guys. I went into this interview cycle with very very low expectations, and I feel like my application must have gotten mixed up with someone else's. Either that or I've just been really really lucky. I'm sure you guys will get some amazing invites and acceptances really soon here!

II!

I'll actually be out of the country for the entire next academic year, so I'll be flying back to the states for this. Definitely want to do an in-the-area email for the other NYC schools, but is it too early now since they haven't really begun to send out IIs? I looked at least year's threads, and the ones I have applied to sent their IIs out later, but the available dates were around the same.

Thank you so much you guys. I went into this interview cycle with very very low expectations, and I feel like my application must have gotten mixed up with someone else's. Either that or I've just been really really lucky. I'm sure you guys will get some amazing invites and acceptances really soon here!
Or like maybe there was a typo in your mcat and it's +10.. Lol

Congrats to all the interview invites! Still waiting for NYU to mark my LORs as received, even if they were sent in last week :(

II!

I'll actually be out of the country for the entire next academic year, so I'll be flying back to the states for this. Definitely want to do an in-the-area email for the other NYC schools, but is it too early now since they haven't really begun to send out IIs? I looked at least year's threads, and the ones I have applied to sent their IIs out later, but the available dates were around the same.
I was actually thinking of doing the same thing. But I'm not sure on the etiquette regarding in the area emails.

Congrats to all the interview invites! Still waiting for NYU to mark my LORs as received, even if they were sent in last week :(
Same! My letters were sent by amcas on 7/18 and my status still says they haven't received them :(

Jumping Jellyfish!! Interview invite!! ... This just made my week!!

Reactions: 4 users
II here: hoping to find an interview date that will work in concert with the 3 other NYC schools I applied to since I have to fly to the northeast. Hopefully I can wait a bit then send them emails when they start with their own interview invitations.

oh how i wish they held interviews on fridays...

Congrats to all the II's! On a less exciting note... I just logged in and it says I was Rejected on 1/3/2014? Does this mean they've rejected me and just messed up the date? Given how NYU has handled rejections in the past (they email everyone who wasn't granted an interview after their season has ended), I'm wondering if this is worth contacting them about.
SMq2DrJ.png

Last edited:
well eff ... accidentally pressed the withdraw button on the portal .................. -_________________-

Emailed the office. Hopefully they understand ... How do you have a button without confirmation either?

Reactions: 6 users
well eff ... accidentally pressed the withdraw button on the portal .................. -_________________-

Emailed the office. Hopefully they understand ... How do you have a button without confirmation either?
I wondered how that worked. Good to know! Hope it's nbd