2014-2015 Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, this was someone's idea of a prank. Yay.
Nice friends...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, I had some folks I've known rather peripherally for a couple of years drop my FB last night, so I have some suspects. It's easy enough to get my phone number since I have been a TA and it was in my syllabus in case anyone needed help or pointers. That's typical practice at my school for the TAs and lab classroom assistants. So I know where to start but really, I just want them far away from me at this point. Best place for them.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
4 IIs, 1 rejection, 3 waitlisted - I just want to know if I need to reapply. This waiting is killing me.

Reactions: 6 users
It stinks, it does. But if it is those people, well, I'm tons better off.

...it still stinks.

I actually fantasized about this happening to me on April Fools day. Even came up with some identity-verifying questions to ask that only someone at the medical school would be able to answer. Alas, no calls were received last night :rolleyes:

I might've indulged in some minor fantasies about this situation last night but they don't reflect well on me, necessarily, for all they might be understandable in my position. One thing I do hate is that I skipped recording this week's podcast because I was so down. That annoys me a lot. I might still record and just post late.:eggface: (Possibly I like smilies too much but I am unrepentant.)

I might've indulged in some minor fantasies about this situation last night but they don't reflect well on me, necessarily, for all they might be understandable in my position. One thing I do hate is that I skipped recording this week's podcast because I was so down. That annoys me a lot. I might still record and just post late.:eggface: (Possibly I like smilies too much but I am unrepentant.)

Heh. I am an emoji fiend :vamp: Wish I had this set on my phone, there are so many quirky fun ones.

What do you podcast about?

What do you podcast about?

Largely about being a non-traditional premed in a reapplication cycle while being a crafty/making person. It's a vlog I started mostly for me to keep up with what I'm doing right now and to help me stay motivated to get through the sloggy, less interesting parts of projects. Sort of embarrassing if you have a week where you have nothing to talk about, you know? I'm going to be changing it around a bit or I'd just stick a link in my sig here after review of the TOS. (I think the parts where I talk about premed stuff are lecture-y, they bore even me to tears, and I get better/longer views when I talk about the projects at the beginning, so that tells me that yes, in fact, I am boring more people than me with that part.)

Largely about being a non-traditional premed in a reapplication cycle while being a crafty/making person. It's a vlog I started mostly for me to keep up with what I'm doing right now and to help me stay motivated to get through the sloggy, less interesting parts of projects. Sort of embarrassing if you have a week where you have nothing to talk about, you know? I'm going to be changing it around a bit or I'd just stick a link in my sig here after review of the TOS. (I think the parts where I talk about premed stuff are lecture-y, they bore even me to tears, and I get better/longer views when I talk about the projects at the beginning, so that tells me that yes, in fact, I am boring more people than me with that part.)

Why does it matter if you're boring people? I think that it's cool that you do a podcast and as long as it's therapeutic for you then it's all good. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Why not talk about these experiences in your podcast? It's very honest and open and will provide a look at the anxiety and hope that those on waitlists experience.

Why does it matter if you're boring people? I think that it's cool that you do a podcast and as long as it's therapeutic for you then it's all good. :)

Heh, thanks but if *I'm* the one skipping that material when I go back, well, there's no need to post that to the 'Net, you know? I can just make a password-protected video diary and store it on the cloud or something.

Heh, thanks but if *I'm* the one skipping that material when I go back, well, there's no need to post that to the 'Net, you know? I can just make a password-protected video diary and store it on the cloud or something.
I guess you're right. I just thought maybe the idea that someone is hearing your thoughts is comforting too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not talk about these experiences in your podcast? It's very honest and open and will provide a look at the anxiety and hope that those on waitlists experience.

Well, that's one of the changes I'll be making. I've been really... lecture-y, instead of talking about what I do/feel. It's still going to be navelgaze-y but at least I'll be able to better tolerate the result! :playful::D:panda:

I guess you're right. I just thought maybe the idea that someone is hearing your thoughts is comforting too.

I think I know where you're coming from and agree about that; there are lots of forms of support, after all, and one of them is talking with like-minded folks about things in common. I just don't think that's what I've been doing, and I think it would be more productive if I were.

Does that mean that it will rain memories?

Reactions: 6 users
Just started reading this. Only 1 II and it got me wait listed. Didn't apply to many schools.
On the wait list for my school of choice, just heard yesterday.
Thinking about sending extra letters of recs and update letter. Anyone have a suggestion if I should wait closer to May 15?

Last edited:
Just started reading this. Only 1 II and it got me wait listed. Didn't apply to many schools.
On the wait list for my school of choice, just heard yesterday.
Thinking about sending extra letters of recs and update letter. Anyone have a suggestion if I should wait closer to May 15?
At least wait until you see waitlist movement on the school specific thread.
Frankly, if you are holding no acceptances, they already know you will come, even without the update.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, if you are holding no acceptances, they already know you will come, even without the update.

I'm planning on sending an update/letter of interest to a school i'm waitlisted at during the timeframe that they will be asking for them (though there's already waitlist movement apparently).

I understand that it'll be best to make it 1 page? but what if it goes over a page? i have lots of things to update the school on (they haven't accept any updates since primaries) about what i've done during the gap year and since it's also my alma mater and my current employer, I also have tons of things to say about why I want to continue my education here.

Any other advice on writing the letter in general?

Thats true. I guess they would see if their applicants hold other acceptances. Thanks.
Frankly, if you are holding no acceptances, they already know you will come, even without the update.[/Q

I understand that it'll be best to make it 1 page? but what if it goes over a page? i have lots of things to update the school on (they haven't accept any updates since primaries) about what i've done during the gap year and since it's also my alma mater and my current employer, I also have tons of things to say about why I want to continue my education here.
?
There is nothing they want to read that is more than a page!
Make it short and clear.

About one month until things get rolling. You guys maintaining your thing threads of sanity??

Reactions: 2 users
I really think Emory does the waitlist and LoI/ updates right. For the entire cycle, they specifically say they only accept very short, concise updates through their portal (if you must) and absolutely no emails/regular mail. At first I thought this was harsh, but in their waitlist email I received last Thursday, they ask for why you're interested in Emory if you wish to remain on the list. This removes all the worries an applicant might have about bothering the adcoms, and the adcoms only get swamped right after they waitlist applicants. Kudos!

I'm in a relatively interesting position in that my application has matured greatly since I interviewed and I hope it shows. I would love to attend Emory!

2 IIs, one waitlist, still waiting to hear back from the other. Anxiety central all day, erryday. :nailbiting:

This right here is why I really hate April Fool's. It isn't a joke if both sides don't laugh wholeheartedly. It's just cruel. I'm willing to bet no one makes the calls for those offers on April 1 for just this reason.

MCG made scholarship calls on April 1 apparently.

In the update letter are we supposed to say that we haven't had any acceptances?

10 MD apps
3 II: 2 Waitlists, 1 Pending Decision (will hear back this Wednesday?)

:|

No. We can already see that.

For current waitlisted applicants: you see # of acceptances? # of waitlist? Do you know where? Come April 30, what additional information do you get regarding waitlisted applicants?

Would it be looked down upon to mention acceptances to DO schools in LOIs/update letters to MD schools?

For current waitlisted applicants: you see # of acceptances? # of waitlist? Do you know where? Come April 30, what additional information do you get regarding waitlisted applicants?
We have been able to see where our accepted students are holding other acceptances since February.
We have been able to see where our waitlisted candidates are holding acceptances since April 1.
We can never see where you are waitlisted.

Reactions: 4 users
5 IIs: 1 post interview rejection, 2 waitlist, waiting to hear back from 2

Just to make sure, If you have been accepted, but are on waitlists, will you have to inform the waitlist schools that you are interested in order to possibly get off their waitlists? Also, concerning narrowing down to one school by April 30th, I am assuming this will not affect getting off of a waitlist?

Thanks! and goodluck everyone!

Just to make sure, If you have been accepted, but are on waitlists, will you have to inform the waitlist schools that you are interested in order to possibly get off their waitlists? Also, concerning narrowing down to one school by April 30th, I am assuming this will not affect getting off of a waitlist?
The only situation in which a quick email to a school where you are waitlisted might be in order is if you are accepted to a "better" or cheaper school.

Following traffic rules by reducing to one school by May 1 increases your odds of being lifted from a waitlist, if anything. Nobody wants a scofflaw.

Following traffic rules by reducing to one school by May 1 increases your odds of being lifted from a waitlist, if anything. Nobody wants a scofflaw.

This is a silly question and one I *think* I've asked before, but what about schools who have still not released their Accept, WL, Reject for their post-interview applicants? Some schools are not following traffic rules I suspect.

This is a silly question and one I *think* I've asked before, but what about schools who have still not released their Accept, WL, Reject for their post-interview applicants? Some schools are not following traffic rules I suspect.
I'm not in this situation but I've wondered about this. I can't find anything in the traffic rules that says that an initial decision on an application must be communicated by April 30. Schools are supposed to accept at least as many people as there are seats in the class by March 15, but that's it.

I think it is quite unfriendly to applicants when schools do what you're describing, @familyaerospace. I mean, they can wait until your options are constrained before they tell you where you stand? Not cool if you ask me. But unless I'm wrong, it's not against the rules.

If I had to guess why, I can think of two possible explanations. One is if there were a crackdown on this behavior, schools could just auto-waitlist everyone they don't accept right away and dole out acceptances on their usual schedule afterward. (Also the AAMC probably doesn't track waitlists and wouldn't want to bother doing so.) Another possibility is that some schools just don't feel the need to notify people in a timely way and aren't going to change. Ugh, but I guess that's life.

At any rate, I am pulling for you and everyone else in this thread to hear good news soon. Good luck!

There is no rule that requires a decision by any date (except for a sufficient # to fill the class by 3/15).
We cannot see anything about your acceptances until we render a decision, though.

One is if there were a crackdown on this behavior, schools could just auto-waitlist everyone they don't accept right away and dole out acceptances on their usual schedule afterward. (Also the AAMC probably doesn't track waitlists and wouldn't want to bother doing so.) Another possibility is that some schools just don't feel the need to notify people in a timely way and aren't going to change. Ugh, but I guess that's life.
It would be actually more strategic to just waitlist everyone as you pointed out.
I never suspect malice when inefficiency is more likely!

There is no rule that requires a decision by any date (expect for a sufficient # to fill the class by 3/15).
We cannot see anything about your acceptances until we render a decision, though.
I realize I am not following your earlier advice to seek outside interests...but I have a question about that.

The traffic rules say this:
8. On or after May 15, any school that plans to make an acceptance offer to an applicant who has already been accepted to, or granted a deferral by, another school or program, must ensure that the other school or program is advised of this offer at the time it is issued (written or verbal) to the applicant.
If a school waits until after May 15 to render a decision, how would they know which school to contact when they "plan to make an acceptance offer" to someone who is holding elsewhere?

If a school waits until after May 15 to render a decision, how would they know which school to contact when they "plan to make an acceptance offer" to someone who is holding elsewhere?
We can see where waitlisted candidates are holding an acceptance after April Fool's day.
(You sure type fast).

We can see where waitlisted candidates are holding an acceptance after April Fool's day.
I am starting to get the sense that an applicant who has no decision on their application by late April is in a functional state equivalent to a waitlist. They have heard no definitive news; their other acceptances can be seen; and they have no timetable for when they might hear. I think this helps me understand--hopefully those in this thread will find it helpful too. If not the most pleasant state of being. (Edited to add: I wasn't quite right, see below.)
(You sure type fast).
I'm a product of my generation.

Last edited:
I am starting to get the sense that an applicant who has no decision on their application by late April is in a functional state equivalent to a waitlist. They have heard no definitive news; their other acceptances can be seen; and they have no timetable for when they might hear. I think this helps me understand--hopefully those in this thread will find it helpful too. If not the most pleasant state of being.

I'm a product of my generation.
Their acceptances cannot be seen until a decision is rendered.

Their acceptances cannot be seen until a decision is rendered.
Then I don't understand yet. So much still to learn. Per my earlier post, a school that offers an acceptance after 5/15, which they are within their rights to do without having first waitlisted the applicant, is supposed to first notify the school that the applicant is holding at, but because they haven't rendered a decision, they shouldn't know which school that is. Maybe the exact timing is flexible?

Then I don't understand yet. So much still to learn. Per my earlier post, a school that offers an acceptance after 5/15, which they are within their rights to do without having first waitlisted someone, is supposed to first notify the school that the applicant is holding at, but because they haven't rendered a decision, they shouldn't know which school that is. Maybe the exact timing is flexible?
You can make a primary offer, but you cannot draw from the waitlist without calling the school being poached!
There is really no good reason not to put everyone on the waitlist after May 15th.

You can make a primary offer, but you cannot draw from the waitlist without calling the school being poached!
There is really no good reason not to put everyone on the waitlist after May 15th.
I see. So the answer is that the case where a school hasn't officially waitlisted someone after May 15th is vanishingly rare, and pointless on their part to boot.

I do remember seeing an applicant who got a waitlist notification from Stanford in June last year, but that must be the product of an admissions office under a lot of stress and making unusual decisions.

Thanks for explaining all of this, I hope I haven't derailed the thread for those who need the support.

Much later edit: Now I understand why it would be more strategic to waitlist everyone rather than keep them in limbo. It allows the school to access the student's other acceptances sooner, as long as it's after April 1st. So schools that are letting people stay in no-decision limbo are truly just inefficient because they would have something to gain from making a decision.

Last edited: