2016-2017 Rutgers University - RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was marked as "competitive" whatever that means.

Members don't see this ad.

Got the waitlist email just now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
same here

unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there was much movement in the past years for the regular wait list

Last edited:
I was marked as "competitive" whatever that means.
HP waitlist most likely.

what are the wait list categories

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Regular WL and HP WL, based on previous years.

same here

unfortunately, it doesn't seem like there was much movement in the past years for the regular wait list

Regular WL little movement but HP WL gets movement once people start dropping their acceptances for other schools. Unless they overbooked again this year.

I got "alternate list". I'm assuming that's the low priority waitlist?

I think someone got accepted who interviewed on 12/12 if you scroll back a page or two.

It was me and I know at least one other person in my interview group from the same day that was also accepted. Don't know their stats though.

Hey everyone, latecomer to posting here! Acceptance last Thursday, interviewed 12/12 -- happy to answer questions!

Also, +1 to the question on an accepted students facebook page??

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Has this school sent any rejections pre-II?

Got a II! I'm so stoked!! I saw that the first wave of acceptances was 150 calls so I'm guessing 150 acceptances? Does anyone know how many spots that leaves left lol. And the second wave is sometime in March?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a II! I'm so stoked!! I saw that the first wave of acceptances was 150 calls so I'm guessing 150 acceptances? Does anyone know how many spots that leaves left lol. And the second wave is sometime in March?
When did you get the II? When were you complete, stats and IS or OOS?

What dates were available?

I think the second wave is around 100. I'm still hoping for some IS love

I also got an II a few days ago, They e-mailed me 2 available dates near the end of the February (i think 24th and 27th)

When did you get the II? When were you complete, stats and IS or OOS?

this past week, IS, complete sometime in Sept/Oct (can't remember)

They gave me two late February dates, like within the last week. Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Can anyone help me out with these rather basic questions/concerns...my med school advisor has been MIA for all of December!!

1. If I accept an offer from one school, does that affect my eligibility at other institutions that I am still in the application process with?
2. Am I allowed to still interview at other schools if I have accepted an offer at Rutgers?
3. Can I rescind my acceptance of their offer at any point before the end of the application cycle if I receive good news from other schools?

Can anyone help me out with these rather basic questions/concerns...my med school advisor has been MIA for all of December!!

1. If I accept an offer from one school, does that affect my eligibility at other institutions that I am still in the application process with?
2. Am I allowed to still interview at other schools if I have accepted an offer at Rutgers?
3. Can I rescind my acceptance of their offer at any point before the end of the application cycle if I receive good news from other schools?

1. It does not impact your eligibility.
2. You are still allowed to interview.
3. You can hold multiple acceptances until a certain day in April where you have to commit to one school only.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Hey so if you're interviewing for the second wave of seats, do you think its harder to get accepted post interview? I would believe so since theyve already had so many acceptances

Hey so if you're interviewing for the second wave of seats, do you think its harder to get accepted post interview? I would believe so since theyve already had so many acceptances
i think its pointless asking questions like this but id say your shot is just as good as the first round. you can do the math if youd like to settle your nerves. but your much better off just practicing a few scenarios/prompts with some friends and learning how long/short 5-7 minutes is for the mmi.

So, like I'm IS and still no news (no rejection or II) from this school. Why no IS love?

Reactions: 2 users
Anybody who spoke with admissions have any idea how late interviews run until in the cycle? How late invites are offered? How many acceptances left to send out?

I'm sure this is a stretch but maybe someone can offer some insight

I was just accepted and I'm fairly positive I'm going to attend RWJ. I have a question for current/previous students regarding living situations off campus...

me and my partner work in NYC right now and she will have to commute to the city from wherever we live. where is the furthest we could live from campus where it wouldn't be an inconvenience? or maybe a better question is, do you know of anyone who lives with a partner who commutes to the city? I don't want to live in Jersey City but want to be understanding to her situation as she just got a new job. I have a car and am wondering if we could get a place where I could be close to campus but she could commute as well...

thanks!

I was just accepted and I'm fairly positive I'm going to attend RWJ. I have a question for current/previous students regarding living situations off campus...

me and my partner work in NYC right now and she will have to commute to the city from wherever we live. where is the furthest we could live from campus where it wouldn't be an inconvenience? or maybe a better question is, do you know of anyone who lives with a partner who commutes to the city? I don't want to live in Jersey City but want to be understanding to her situation as she just got a new job. I have a car and am wondering if we could get a place where I could be close to campus but she could commute as well...

thanks!
How about summit? Somewhere on the Gladstone line is near both

thanks!

If your partner does not mind using the train for her commute, you can always get an affordable place in New Brunswick. There is a NJ Transit train that leaves from New Brunswick train station that would get her to NY Penn (34th street) in about 1 hour and 10 minutes. The train route is called the Northeast Corridor.

also, the New Brunswick train station is literally half a block away from the RWJ Hospital, where you would be doing your rotations.

So, I am probably going to call tomorrow, but I wanted to ask you guys if the deadline for secondaries was dec 15...or jan 15? I just went through my email and saw an email from RWJMS on dec 1...the letter says have everything in by jan 15, but their website says dec 15...I really liked this school and am kinda nervous. So if the news is bad, give it to me nicely plz lol

Is placement in a competitive category the same as a high priority list?
If not which is more beneficial?
Sounds like competitive category is a 50/50 shot of acceptance again whereas the high priority list you wait until slots open up for a seat.

So, I am probably going to call tomorrow, but I wanted to ask you guys if the deadline for secondaries was dec 15...or jan 15? I just went through my email and saw an email from RWJMS on dec 1...the letter says have everything in by jan 15, but their website says dec 15...I really liked this school and am kinda nervous. So if the news is bad, give it to me nicely plz lol

Unfortunately, I think in either case your chances are extremely slim because you are applying so late. The easiest way to get a leg up in this application game is to apply early and return your secondaries in a very timely manner. I found Dec. 1st as the last filing date for the application (though it did not clarify whether that meant AMCAS or Secondary). AMCAS also lists the "Program Deadline" as Dec. 1st and the transcript deadline as Dec. 15th and the secondary application itself lists Jan. 5th as the deadline for CASPer scores and Jan. 15th as the deadline for letters of rec.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Unfortunately, I think in either case your chances are extremely slim because you are applying so late. The easiest way to get a leg up in this application game is to apply early and return your secondaries in a very timely manner. I found Dec. 1st as the last filing date for the application (though it did not clarify whether that meant AMCAS or Secondary). AMCAS also lists the "Program Deadline" as Dec. 1st and the transcript deadline as Dec. 15th and the secondary application itself lists Jan. 5th as the deadline for CASPer scores and Jan. 15th as the deadline for letters of rec.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Thank you! I called this morning and Marilyn stated that the deadline is January 15 so I'm still going to give it a shot! I've done everything (Casper/LORs/etc) just haven't emailed the app back or paid. So I'm gonna do that asap. :)

Secondary submitted on 9/25, application considered complete on 10/6 still nothing as of yet :( I hope I still have a decent shot

Anyone going to the winter reception this Friday?

thanks!
Were you accepted recently or on 12/15-12/16?

Does anyone know if they accept application updates pre II?

Does anyone know the chances of being accepted off the competitive category are?
Is the competitive category ranked?

Is there an email specifically for updates? Or just the admissions email?

Does anyone know if they are still extending IIs?

They are. The woman I spoke with from the admissions office told me that they are hoping to get interview invites out by the end of January. Soooo... there's still hope for those of us who are waiting! *fingers crossed*

Wonderful! Thanks for the info :)

They are. The woman I spoke with from the admissions office told me that they are hoping to get interview invites out by the end of January. Soooo... there's still hope for those of us who are waiting! *fingers crossed*

Is that going to be their last II batch?

When is their movement from the competitive waitlist into acceptance, if their is movement at all?
Thanks!