2016 PHAP (Public Health Associate Program) application - General discussion thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The person that interviewed me didn't ask for regional preference. Anyone else that was interviewed experience this as well?

Members don't see this ad.

hhsregions.jpg
This map is a little off too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to bring up regional preference at the end of my interview anyway. My situation regarding my ability to relocate has changed since we submitted the personal statements. If anyone brings this up in the interview let me know how they responded and if changing preferences is even possible

For those who have interviewed already. Did you receive a confirmation email of your interview time and that they received your skype information within the deadline? I haven't heard anything since the doodle poll

do you remember what's off about this map? I was pretty sure this was what was on the application, at least for the 3 regions I selected

My bad, I think that map is correct actually.

I think I'm going to bring up regional preference at the end of my interview anyway. My situation regarding my ability to relocate has changed since we submitted the personal statements. If anyone brings this up in the interview let me know how they responded and if changing preferences is even possible
They basically said that they know what our geographical preference is based on our answers on the application and that they will take it into consideration. However, in the end, they will place us where they need us. You could try emailing the PHAP email to see if they would be willing to change your selection or not.

For those who have interviewed already. Did you receive a confirmation email of your interview time and that they received your skype information within the deadline? I haven't heard anything since the doodle poll
Nope nothing. Just got a skype call at my time.

Hey Sheiks23,

Did your interviewer add you on Skype at the time of your interview? And was it an actual Skype video call?
It was an actual Skype video call; I didn't receive a notification stating that the interviewer wanted to connect with me or add me; she just called lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum. I just had my interview for phap and I thought better to wait it out with those who are going through the same thing.

Hey Sheiks23,

Did your interviewer add you on Skype at the time of your interview? And was it an actual Skype video call?
My interview added me the day before the interview which freaked me out because I thought I missed it lol. And it was an actual skype video

Hey guys! I just finished my interview this morning (like most people said, it was mostly situational questions, nothing too crazy!) and I wanted to reach out to my interviewer to send a follow up thank you email. However, I can't find any individual emails regarding this program, only the PHAP emails that they have sent out about advancing to the next stages of the application process. Does anyone have any ideas on how to reach my interviewer, or even where to send a follow up email to? Thanks and good luck to everyone interviewing these next few weeks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The interview was mostly behavioral questions, with only one situational question. There is difference.

Hey guys! I just finished my interview this morning (like most people said, it was mostly situational questions, nothing too crazy!) and I wanted to reach out to my interviewer to send a follow up thank you email. However, I can't find any individual emails regarding this program, only the PHAP emails that they have sent out about advancing to the next stages of the application process. Does anyone have any ideas on how to reach my interviewer, or even where to send a follow up email to? Thanks and good luck to everyone interviewing these next few weeks!
They don't like individual emails because there are so many of us. That's why they only give out the PHAP email.

Just had my interview! Nothing too scary, just have to wait. I almost laughed at the situation question because it was so unexpected lol. Also I was told there are 185 positions this year

Just had my interview! Nothing too scary, just have to wait. I almost laughed at the situation question because it was so unexpected lol. Also I was told there are 185 positions this year
I did too earlier today and that situational question got me too :rolleyes:. But overall I believe it went well. My interviewer informed me that they are only interviewing up until the 29th of this month, and apparently each questions that we answered is scored (not sure how) but to my understanding they utilize that scoring system to weed out the top scorers.

Hi all,

I need some advice! My interview was scheduled to begin 15 minutes ago. I have yet to be contacted and am still waiting for a Skype call. I tried calling the Bridge Line, but have been on hold... What should I do?

Interviews are in eastern daylight time if that helps...maybe your interview starts at a different time for you than what you signed up for?

All of you who scheduled an interview - you didn't get a confirmation email with your date and time did you? I'm pretty positive I wrote my day and time down correctly, but I'm a little worried...

All of you who scheduled an interview - you didn't get a confirmation email with your date and time did you? I'm pretty positive I wrote my day and time down correctly, but I'm a little worried...
Never got a confirmation email but I was able to go back to the old Doodle link last night and confirm my time. The doodle is "closed" but you can still see what time you signed up for.

Hi all,

Turns out that my something was wrong with either my Skype or my interviewers. The call and add request never went through. Ended up doing a phone interview.
Also, I never received a confirmation email with my interview time and date. And I wasn't able to access my old Doodle link -- so yeah, for awhile I thought that I forgot my time/date lol. Glad it all worked out.

Now the waiting game begins. Good luck to everyone who has their interviews coming up!

No I didn't receive anything and I didn't write it down for some reason so I just turned my laptop on a couple hours early and waited.

No I didn't receive anything and I didn't write it down for some reason so I just turned my laptop on a couple hours early and waited.
I may have to do that...I'm almost 100% positive I wrote the correct date and time down but I'd like to be sure, especially with the time difference. I wonder if it would be possible to contact them and certify my time/date.

Never got a confirmation email but I was able to go back to the old Doodle link last night and confirm my time. The doodle is "closed" but you can still see what time you signed up for.
it says mine was deleted :(

Hey y'all!

I had my interview on Tuesday. The questions were very broad situational/behavioral questions like everyone said. I'm not really a fan of Skype interviews because the connection was in and out! Good luck to everyone :)

I never received confirmation e-mail or a friend request from my interviewer...he just called a few minutes before my time. So be ready and logged on early!

Hi all,

I had my interview on yesterday and as others have stated it was a behavioral/situational interview. There were nine questions 8 behavioral/1 situational. The person that interviewed me was very nice! The interview was nothing stressful. Just relax and put some thought into your answers! Good luck :)

Hi there, that is weird how alot of you guys never received a notification for your interview. I received one I think the day of that stated the time and day as well as the name of my interviewer. Also I was told they they will be choosing 200 new candidates this year and hear back from them mid July early august.

Hi All!

I'm one of those that have stalked the forums for awhile but never posted. Just wanted to wish everyone the best of luck! I was also told that they will be selecting 200 of the 500 interviewed. *fingers crossed*

Hi everyone,
I just finished my interview.It seems tricky though,just because you don't know what the interviewers perception is.my eyes are wide open and I was told results will be out by july.

Also have been looking at this forum, but not posting! Had my interview on Tuesday and thought it went fairly well, though it's always challenging to recall specific times/situations that match their questions.

My interviewer told me offers will go out July-August, but I know people have gotten offers in past years in June. Maybe they just say July/August as the latest and shoot for earlier?

Good luck to those who are still interviewing!

Ok, ready to cry. Just missed my interview because Skype started acting up and not responding when I tried to sign in. I tried everything to get it working. Finally I saw on my phone an email from my interviewer and I quickly replied. He told me to call in to the Bridge number which worked but we did not have enough time to do the interview. Seriously upset as I prepped for this big time. Luckily, he was so nice he found me an alternate interview time with another interviewer as his schedule is too packed next week. I just hope this did not X me out of the running.

Ok, ready to cry. Just missed my interview because Skype started acting up and not responding when I tried to sign in. I tried everything to get it working. Finally I saw on my phone an email from my interviewer and I quickly replied. He told me to call in to the Bridge number which worked but we did not have enough time to do the interview. Seriously upset as I prepped for this big time. Luckily, he was so nice he found me an alternate interview time with another interviewer as his schedule is too packed next week. I just hope this did not X me out of the running.

I know that must be really really upsetting!! hang in there. If they realized there were technical issues and reschedule it, I am confident it wouldn't impact your chances. :) Glad you go to reschedule it! There is still hope!

I'm really sorry to hear this, I almost missed mine too because of a bad connection. I hope it works out for the best :) On a positive note, you have some extra time to prepare.

I just finished my interview! My interviewer was kind and enthusiastic. She made me feel really comfortable. Once again, 9 behavioral questions and 1 situational. She also mentioned that more than 3000 people applied and that we should expect to hear back sometime during the end of June/mid-July to August.

Hi! I have my interview today. I just wanted to check, the interview times reflected our time zone, correct? or are all times EST. Thanks!

Hi all. Congratulations to all who have made it to the interview process and good luck to those still waiting to hear back. Does anyone have any idea about life after the PHAP program especially in terms of future prospects of employment with CDC perhaps as PHA? I've an MPH and a few years of PH work experience and I'm kind of G5 salary is way too low! Please advise. Thank you.
Bariyow.

Hey all! I've been reading the forum for a few months now, and I finally decided to make an account. I had my interview yesterday morning, so the waiting game begins! Good luck to those still waiting to interview xx

Hey guys, I'm a 2015 PHAP and they gave out some numbers on a OSTLTS call last week that I thought you might want to know, this year 3,371 people applied to be a PHAP, of those 1,168 were referred and moved on. They received 883 personal statements, and from that asked 582 people to interview. They have a goal of hiring approximately 185 PHAPs.

Good luck

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I'm a 2015 PHAP and they gave out some numbers on a OSTLTS call last week that I thought you might want to know, this year 3,371 people applied to be a PHAP, of those 1,168 were referred and moved on. They received 883 personal statements, and from that asked 582 people to interview. They have a goal of hiring approximately 185 PHAPs.

Good luck
Thanks for the info.

Good luck

My interviewer relayed pretty much the same information. Feel lucky if you've made it to the interview stage, that was a huge obstacle to make it through. I don't feel confident about my interview b/c I'm just horrible at the behavioral questions, but I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope to hear back this summer. Good luck to all :)

Good luck
Thanks so much for the information By the way what does OSTLTS mean?

Thanks so much for the information By the way what does OSTLTS mean?
Office of state, territorial, local, and tribal support, it's the office that PHAP is organized under. Get ready for lots of new acronyms with the CDC

DIS, FSO, DGMQ, NCEZID, CGH, DSLR, etc...

Office of state, territorial, local, and tribal support, it's the office that PHAP is organized under. Get ready for lots of new acronyms with the CDC

DIS, FSO, DGMQ, NCEZID, CGH, DSLR, etc...
:D haha good to know and thank you

Hi all. Congratulations to all who have made it to the interview process and good luck to those still waiting to hear back. Does anyone have any idea about life after the PHAP program especially in terms of future prospects of employment with CDC perhaps as PHA? I've an MPH and a few years of PH work experience and I'm kind of G5 salary is way too low! Please advise. Thank you.
Bariyow.

I mean, it's definitely possible to become a PHA after PHAP. In previous years about 50% of graduating PHAPs began working after the program was over. 50-75% of those working ended up with the CDC. The rest of the 50% ended up going back to school.

This is just anecdotal, but my friends who were excellent PHAPs and worked hard to get a job with CDC after the program had multiple offers to choose from.

Edit: of course this doesn't predict anything. Federal funding is fickle.

I had my interview today. I prepped really hard for behavioral type questions so crossing my fingers as well! At least I had an example for each and thought I was thorough. It's just hard not to get word-jumbled when nervous. Hopefully they don't hold that against me! Good luck everyone! :)

I had my interview today. I prepped really hard for behavioral type questions so crossing my fingers as well! At least I had an example for each and thought I was thorough. It's just hard not to get word-jumbled when nervous. Hopefully they don't hold that against me! Good luck everyone! :)
I had my interview today as well. Like you, I prepped for the questions ahead of time; however, I was so nervous that I could barely focus. I did my best and if it's God's will I'll be selected. I pray for the best for everyone!

Lurker, but first post. I have fairly incapacitating social-anxiety but am fine once I'm comfortable. I'll be medicated, but I'm not sure it'll be enough for my interview in a few hours. Anyone have any suggestions that aren't too revealing for what I should be prepping for with the behavioral questions? Like types of scenarios, or scope, or other things to that extent? This would be helpful in that the more prepared I feel the less anxious I'll physically appear. If you want to PM me or something, feel free. I've been preparing obviously, but behavioral questions are so broad and varied that I'm worried I won't have an example prepared. I understand if you guys don't want to share since it could give me a leg up, but it'd be greatly appreciated if you have any general suggestions. No need to get upset if you don't want to share anything. I totally understand. I figure asking couldn't hurt, worst everyone could say is, "no." Thanks.

Hi jsquared91,
Nice to see you here and thanks for the info. Actually If I'm not wrong, I remember chatting with you last year coz I was in the PHAP cohort of 2015 but unfortunately I didn't make it past the interview. Appreciated!

Hey kd05, I just had my interview today. I directly asked my interviewer for his personal email so I could send a thank you. He gladly gave it to me. However if you did not ask this question no problem. Just google CDC employee directory. This is the website I used: <http://directory.psc.gov/employee.htm> Just find your interviewers name and click on their last name it will give you some information about them including their personal CDC email. Good luck to all of you who made it this far!!!