2018-2019 Wayne State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you do the calling and spot reserving once you found out you got in or did you do it in advance so you had somewhere to go once you got Detroit?
Technically, if you have extra money saved up, you can do whatever. I unfortunately did not. Before I got it, the most I did was identify apartments I’d like to get in.

However, as soon as I got in, I literally put in the downpayment to reserve my apartment. Idk if you said if you were accepted or not, but if you are, I’d recommend you do this now. Apartments are going like crazy right now (by going, I mean there won’t be a lot of good, empty ones left).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Technically, if you have extra money saved up, you can do whatever. I unfortunately did not. Before I got it, the most I did was identify apartments I’d like to get in.

However, as soon as I got in, I literally put in the downpayment to reserve my apartment. Idk if you said if you were accepted or not, but if you are, I’d recommend you do this now. Apartments are going like crazy right now (by going, I mean there won’t be a lot of good, empty ones left).

So I should probably start researching and placing calls now, huh?

If you’re on the waitlist still, I would just passively scope out where you want to go and call asking for availabilities. Don’t put down any payments yet. I made that mistake and lost my entire $200 deposit

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you I would just wait and save your time and energy. The way Detroit works is basically all of the livable and safe and affordable housing is already taken up, not just by med students. What’s available now are luxury apartment complexes that usually start over $1,000 a month for a studio. So then you have to start looking at surrounding cities like Royal Oak, Ferndale, Grosse Pointe etc that obviously all require a car. Not sure if you have a reliable car but that would be somewhere to start first if you really want to start preparing. Especially because Wayne lost the DMC contract so all of your third and fourth year rotations will likely require traveling outside of Detroit.

If I were you I would just wait and save your time and energy. The way Detroit works is basically all of the livable and safe and affordable housing is already taken up, not just by med students. What’s available now are luxury apartment complexes that usually start over $1,000 a month for a studio. So then you have to start looking at surrounding cities like Royal Oak, Ferndale, Grosse Pointe etc that obviously all require a car. Not sure if you have a reliable car but that would be somewhere to start first if you really want to start preparing. Especially because Wayne lost the DMC contract so all of your third and fourth year rotations will likely require traveling outside of Detroit.

I second Grosse Pointe. My grandparents lived there for the longest time, it is an old but safe neighborhood. Also, there are several mom and pop style apartment complexes that offer discounts to Wayne State students and residents on top of affordable rent (unfurnished). The one I'm thinking about is just north of Lakeshore Park and about a block away from Mack so v. close to shop and play.

question: does anyone know when we can accept our financial aid award? i see on my academica the amount i was awarded, but it isn't allowing me to accept it (i completed all requirements)

question: does anyone know when we can accept our financial aid award? i see on my academica the amount i was awarded, but it isn't allowing me to accept it (i completed all requirements)
Are you sure you got an award already? They said they were sending them out on the 20th. When I look at mine, it tells me the estimated cost of attendance but not my actual award yet (I was able to compare this to when I received financial aid last year at wayne)

Are you sure you got an award already? They said they were sending them out on the 20th. When I look at mine, it tells me the estimated cost of attendance but not my actual award yet (I was able to compare this to when I received financial aid last year at wayne)

oop you're right lol. my b, yes it is just the COA. thanks! should prob work on my reading skills before i start med school o_O

Question: On the Waitlist Support Thread, someone recommended getting your immunizations up-to-date and even starting the FAFSA in case we gotta move fast. It's been FOREVER since I last had to do FAFSA so do I just do it on their main website or go on to Wayne's page?

Question: On the Waitlist Support Thread, someone recommended getting your immunizations up-to-date and even starting the FAFSA in case we gotta move fast. It's been FOREVER since I last had to do FAFSA so do I just do it on their main website or go on to Wayne's page?
Do it on their main website. I'm in the same situation, I did mine since April!

Since when did they lose their contract with DMC? Last time I heard rotations will still be held there

Wayne did not "lose" any DMC contract and nothing has changed from previous decades. This was overhyped speculation, the same happens every time contracts get renegotiated. Their new agreement is for 5 years years, no concern for starting M1's.

Reactions: 1 users
You will absolutely hate your life without one. If anyone on here tells you, you don’t need it, then they’re a sadist and truly don’t care for your mental health

Did you look on Craigslist, Carmax, etc. or just go straight to the dealership since it was on such short notice? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Wayne did not "lose" any DMC contract and nothing has changed from previous decades. This was overhyped speculation, the same happens every time contracts get renegotiated. Their new agreement is for 5 years years, no concern for starting M1's.
Well either way, a lot students rotate at Henry Ford West Bloomfield and other non convenient hospitals. Also, admissions claims they don’t send emails anymore for acceptances? Apparently the portal will be updated on Mondays by 5 PM if accepted. Who knows with this school though.

Well either way, a lot students rotate at Henry Ford West Bloomfield and other non convenient hospitals. Also, admissions claims they don’t send emails anymore for acceptances? Apparently the portal will be updated on Mondays by 5 PM if accepted. Who knows with this school though.

And that, ladies and germs, is my cue to send out the new cycle's application....see y'all again back here in a few months!!!

Anyone have some insight on re-applying after being waitlisted the previous cycle?

Anyone have some insight on re-applying after being waitlisted the previous cycle?
I've spoken to several adcom members from schools that rejected me. They said the biggest thing students need to fix is their GPA, MCAT, or clinical experience. Since I have an above average GPA and MCAT, they suggested I either get an MA certification (but that would require me taking 2 gap years, hell naw) or something similar. I've been working as a medical scribe for 2 months now, it's a very good gig. I'm also volunteering at CHM in Detroit, and both those things seem to be acceptable to most of the adcom members I've talked to.

At the end of the day, it seems as if it is coming down to experience. As an undergrad w/out a degree, my experiences were severely limited. If I had been told by adcom members beforehand that undergraduates don't have the experience they are looking for, I wouldn't have wasted my money applying this past cycle. But now that I have a job and a degree and more experience under my belt I am confident that I will be more successful this coming up cycle in fitting their ideal applicant profile.

And that is MY cue to be allowed to get ****-faced every Friday! Cheers!

They sent me an acceptance email a few days ago

And that is MY cue to be allowed to get ****-faced every Friday! Cheers!
Y’all need to chill lol I was asking a question. I never received an email for my interview so I’m thinking it’s just past Wayne students that aren’t getting emails. But the Monday thing is what they told me over the phone.

Lol those “non-convenient hospitals” also provide free meals and parking. Many students tend to honor too, so we’re definitely not complaining. Unfortunately students actually do get spread evenly between the hospitals. So as much as we’d all like to be placed at Henry Ford or St. John’s, a lot of students are placed at DMC

Y’all need to chill lol I was asking a question. I never received an email for my interview so I’m thinking it’s just past Wayne students that aren’t getting emails. But the Monday thing is what they told me over the phone.
Don’t believe anything they tell you over the phone. 5/5 times I’ve called with a question they’ve been wrong.

Some people use gallows humor to deal with distress. I congratulate you on your successful application, I wish I could say that to everyone here on this forum, but at the end of the day the cards don't fall the right way for most of us. Thank you for keeping us updated on the admissions, you're braver than most people here (including yours truly) for actually calling them, and I hope that next time you or any of us come across such a post in the future we laugh alongside the OP for their sarcastic jibes rather than accidentally misinterpreting their intentions. :) The weather is finally summertime here in Detroit, and I hope many of us are able to come out and enjoy it this weekend :)

Will be declining my waitlist offer soon. Hope it goes to one of you very deserving people. Best of luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Lol those “non-convenient hospitals” also provide free meals and parking. Many students tend to honor too, so we’re definitely not complaining. Unfortunately students actually do get spread evenly between the hospitals. So as much as we’d all like to be placed at Henry Ford or St. John’s, a lot of students are placed at DMC
I meant non convenient solely from the standpoint of needing a car or not

Some people use gallows humor to deal with distress. I congratulate you on your successful application, I wish I could say that to everyone here on this forum, but at the end of the day the cards don't fall the right way for most of us. Thank you for keeping us updated on the admissions, you're braver than most people here (including yours truly) for actually calling them, and I hope that next time you or any of us come across such a post in the future we laugh alongside the OP for their sarcastic jibes rather than accidentally misinterpreting their intentions. :) The weather is finally summertime here in Detroit, and I hope many of us are able to come out and enjoy it this weekend :)
No I totally get it. Just stick to it and keep grinding. Wasn’t my first application believe me. Wayne is just a frustrating school with everything. There’s no way around it.

No I totally get it. Just stick to it and keep grinding. Wasn’t my first application believe me. Wayne is just a frustrating school with everything. There’s no way around it.

IKR Many of these schools have been around for over 100 years you'd think they would have this admissions thing down pat right :p

So, its after 5PM on a Monday. Anybody see their portal updated with an acceptance?

Different answer was given today. Apparently “ThE PoRtAl CaN bE uPdAtEd AnY dAy NoW fOr WaItLiStErS” so just enjoy your summer until July 15th
So, its after 5PM on a Monday. Anybody see their portal updated with an acceptance?

Different answer was given today. Apparently “ThE PoRtAl CaN bE uPdAtEd AnY dAy NoW fOr WaItLiStErS” so just enjoy your summer until July 15th
Im not even surprised anymore. We've been getting trolled this entire cycle

Accepted off waitlist today!!! First acceptance--so thankful!! OOS, interviewed late October, waitlisted December, no LOIs sent. Can't wait to meet my classmates :) Good luck to those still waiting! Hope those reapplying stay persistent and use this next year to grow, prepare, and charge up.

Reactions: 9 users
Accepted off waitlist today!!! First acceptance--so thankful!! OOS, interviewed late October, waitlisted December, no LOIs sent. Can't wait to meet my classmates :) Good luck to those still waiting! Hope those reapplying stay persistent and use this next year to grow, prepare, and charge up.

Congrats! Glad your wait was fruitful!

Did you get an email or was your portal updated?

at what time did you receive the email?

I got the email at 5:11 ET and my portal has already been updated.

I got an offer on Monday through an email sent exactly at 5:00pm. I'm an OOS student and interviewed February. My portal had been updated when I checked. Do not know if sending out decisions on Monday will be a trend or not. Good luck to everyone still on the Waitlist!

Accepted today !
University: UC Irvine
LizzyM: 75
Interview: 03/01/2019.
Acceptance: 06/14/2019.

Any of ya'll know how to accept the admissions offer. There is no information about it in the acceptance letter.

Edit: I figured it out. Go on to AMCAS and select commit to enroll. This might be a no-brainer to many of you, but I was so focused on reapplying for the next cycle (studying for CASPer, prewriting secondaries, etc... ), that I didn't think to review the AAMC protocol for accepting an offer. The thought of going to medical school this year was so far removed from my expectations that I didn't think to look over these guidelines ! WOW !! I am going to be an MD !!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
It pays to work hard. God bless you.
You took it the wrong way. I know it pays to work hard, we all have worked hard. I’m talking about the measuring contests that schools get in just to say how high their stats are. It’s a lot shadier than you might think.

Hey, did you guys already receive your financial aid award packages? I haven't received mine and have e-mailed the financial aid office--to no reply. I have completed fafsa and all the requirements. Thank you!

Hey, did you guys already receive your financial aid award packages? I haven't received mine and have e-mailed the financial aid office--to no reply. I have completed fafsa and all the requirements. Thank you!
Some students earlier said Wayne was 50-60 days late on the packages so nobody has received them. I think they said around the third week of June is the goal. Don’t hold your breath lol