2019-2020 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are so many people on the first tier lmfao

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users
was placed on 2nd tier waitlist yesterday. Interviewed 10/21. More than likely will not be accepted.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users
There are so many people on the first tier lmfao
Yeah I feel like 1st tier is an actual waitlist seeing normal WL movement, not high priority at all. And 2nd tier feels like a soft R

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if we can keep sending updates if placed on WL?

I feel like most movement in 1st tier WL won't happen until April 15-30th when the choose your medical tool has to be narrowed down

Hey anyone who was A get a financial aid package yet? Or know when ?

any waitlist movement? im sitting on the 2nd - still hopeful lol

Hey everyone! I'm a current student posting on behalf of Admissions. As you know, Second Look has been cancelled due to COVID-19. Hofstra will be offering an online experience in lieu of an in-person event. Thank you for understanding, and stay safe!

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hi @kbac13 thanks for the update! I heard that Hofstra med is still conducting in person classes during this COVID-19 outbreak even though there are so many cases on LI...this makes me worry a bit about how much the school’s administration cares about the students’ wellbeings. Any insight into this?

Was really hoping to go to second-look to get another feel for the school in person...

Hi @kbac13 thanks for the update! I heard that Hofstra med is still conducting in person classes during this COVID-19 outbreak even though there are so many cases on LI...this makes me worry a bit about how much the school’s administration cares about the students’ wellbeings. Any insight into this?
They cancelled standardized patient encounters, and the next block after our upcoming spring break will be conducted remotely.

Also, since 2nd look is cancelled, if any admitted students have any questions about the school, feel free to message me here.

They cancelled standardized patient encounters, and the next block after our upcoming spring break will be conducted remotely.

Also, since 2nd look is cancelled, if any admitted students have any questions about the school, feel free to message me here.
Doesn’t seem to let me start a message chat with u, any chance u can start one I have a few questions

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed on 12/20, was placed on 2nd tier WL 2/5. Also sent a Letter of Intent last week. What do you think are my rough chances of getting in? Don't have any other offers, so even just a general thought would be helpful for me to plan out what to do next.

I interviewed on 12/20, was placed on 2nd tier WL 2/5. Also sent a Letter of Intent last week. What do you think are my rough chances of getting in? Don't have any other offers, so even just a general thought would be helpful for me to plan out what to do next.

I also got placed on the 2nd tier waitlist around the same time as you, and according to past threads, a 2nd tier WL is essentially a soft rejection. The first tier WL works more like a real waitlist. I'm really sorry to say this, but it might be time to look into reapplying.

Thanks for the info! I'm an admitted student and I was wondering how the school is handling anatomy lab and small group sessions remotely?

Has anyone heard from here about financial aid?

Can someone please post the newest match list? Need something to obsess over during mandatory 14 day isolation post-COVID positive exposure.

Can someone please post the newest match list? Need something to obsess over during mandatory 14 day isolation post-COVID positive exposure.
1585436067235.png

Stay healthy!

Just checked the portal and I received the financial aid email last night. Financial aid was posted- somewhat underwhelming lol :meh:

Anyone know if there is a deadline to accept the offer of financial aid

Where did it say in the portal? Checked under financial aid services but don’t see anything, could be not up yet but they said before April...

Where did it say in the portal? Checked under financial aid services but don’t see anything, could be not up yet but they said before April...
If you scroll all the way down the hofstra portal, you see your Hofstra email inbox. If there is one from financial aid, then it was posted. Mine wasn’t up when some earlier people’s were up so I think it’s not a mass update, they might be doing it in waves. It would be under financial services award overview.

Is this merit aid/award? Also when were you admitted?
I got both merit and loan offers, admitted first wave back in December. And yeah to echo some other posts it was a tad underwhelming for me given what I heard from the medical students, but great nonetheless

So sorry for asking again, but now that it is April did anybody else not receive any fin aid information? just tryna gauge if i should write to them yet.

Did you have to submit a fin aid application to receive notice of merit
The only thing you have to do to be considered for merit or need grants is submit parent information in fafsa as well. But there's not separate notification, it is just in the financial aid tab or your new hofstra email.

Does Hofstra tend to give out more aid closer to April? As in they'll give you more money on top of the scholarships they already gave you? I got maybe $2k more from another private school and was wondering if I should email them to ask them to match or just wait to see how much they're willing to give out still?

I got the "Zucker SOM Scholarship" from Hofstra yesterday/today (and very grateful for it) -- however, because it won't show me anything other than the 2020-2021 aid year, I cannot tell if this scholarship is applicable all 4 years or just for the first year of medical school? Any ideas?

I got the "Zucker SOM Scholarship" from Hofstra yesterday/today (and very grateful for it) -- however, because it won't show me anything other than the 2020-2021 aid year, I cannot tell if this scholarship is applicable all 4 years or just for the first year of medical school? Any ideas?
The Zucker scholarship and the NS/LIJ loan are automatically renewed all 4 years.

I just got an email invite to the virtual waitlist wellness seminar. Do they do this every year?

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
is the ZOM scholarship amount the same for all?
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm relatively sure that they can vary (however, not by much, I don't think they are handing out, for example, ZSOM full-tuition scholarships).