2020-2021 Hofstra (Zucker)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just wanna clarify - the interviews are traditional 1-on-1 format right? No MMIs this year?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
So if you are on the wait list is it basically expected that you have to send a LOI to get off?

thank you! your insights give me the hope I need right now :)
I know you've probably seen people say this earlier, but keep trying for earlier spots that may open up! I got the II in December and couldn't get an interview until 2/26. I tried to reschedule for an earlier spot so many times (and probably spammed the admissions office's email by doing that lol) that admissions called about an hour ago to tell me that a spot just opened for an interview TOMORROW. Spots will open as people hear from other schools! Keep trying!!

Reactions: 1 user
Received notice of 2nd Tier waitlist today

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I know you've probably seen people say this earlier, but keep trying for earlier spots that may open up! I got the II in December and couldn't get an interview until 2/26. I tried to reschedule for an earlier spot so many times (and probably spammed the admissions office's email by doing that lol) that admissions called about an hour ago to tell me that a spot just opened for an interview TOMORROW. Spots will open as people hear from other schools! Keep trying!!
Yes they also called me because I too was spamming the interview portal hahaha, they said if they have any earlier openings they'd let me know which was very nice!

They also reassured me I would still definitely have a shot of a straight up acceptance even thought its last week of interviews so convo made me feel a lot less stressed :)

• Care
So should we assume that no II yet means we should give up hope? Not trying to be neurotic or anything, but just want to gauge realistic chances (plus so I can stop following this thread if there's truly no hope)

Reactions: 4 users
Hello everyone!

Just wanted to jump in and ask a quick question. With interview day being so jam-packed I wasn't able to catch the name of my second interviewer to write a Thank You note directly to him.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? Is calling the admissions office and asking a bad idea? Did this happen to anyone else (or is it just me who got lost in the sauce :lol:)?
You could just also just not write a thank you...

I think admissions would be annoyed if you called them. I didn't send any thankyous and got accepted.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
You could just also just not write a thank you...

I think admissions would be annoyed if you called them. I didn't send any thankyous and got accepted.
Thank you for the response!

It's been hard not to overthink the small stuff, but I'll just leave it as it is. I know it really isn't necessary.

Also congrats on your acceptance!!!

Last edited:
Came here to share my interview experience

Interview day was overall pretty good, lots of breaks spaced out which was nice.

Interviewer 1 - honestly threw me off because they just were reading down a list of questions. No reaction after each answer, no clarifying questions, just nothing.

Interviewer 2 - super conversational, just talked about hobbies and stuff like that, was very weird though because the sudden change in moods threw me off

Interview day was overall pretty good, lots of breaks spaced out which was nice.

Interviewer 1 - honestly threw me off because they just were reading down a list of questions. No reaction after each answer, no clarifying questions, just nothing.

Interviewer 2 - super conversational, just talked about hobbies and stuff like that, was very weird though because the sudden change in moods threw me off
Lol I think we may have had the same interviewer (your interviewer 1). Was pretty unsettling

Lol I think we may have had the same interviewer (your interviewer 1). Was pretty unsettling

I interviewed a few weeks back but I had the same experience.

Mine as well several months back. I imagine the first interviewer is forced to read off certain questions which makes it quite a bit more awkward.

Mine as well several months back. I imagine the first interviewer is forced to read off certain questions which makes it quite a bit more awkward.

Don't worry! Exact same experience as all of you and was accepted. Congrats on finishing your interview!

Reactions: 1 users

Omg, that is totally what happened to me. My first interviewer was super serious and then my second one was super nice.

Reactions: 1 users
I am interviewing here next week! It was the earliest date available when I got my invite on 10/28. I didn't try to reschedule because, frankly, I wanted more time to prepare and get used to interviewing. I hope I have an equal shot at acceptance because I'm excited about this school and the chance to return to NYC.

Jumping on the thank you note letter train. I know that technically they're not required but gosh dang it I was raised to always write a thank you note!

I also didn't get a chance to jot down 1 interviewer's name. Do we know if all of their interviewers are one of the assistance deans? Because I know my interviewer was a pediatrician and she had an Italian sounding name that started with a C and there *is* a woman on that list who fits those specifications. So do we know if they only use assistant deans to interview? How bad would it be if I guessed wrong?

Jumping on the thank you note letter train. I know that technically they're not required but gosh dang it I was raised to always write a thank you note!

I also didn't get a chance to jot down 1 interviewer's name. Do we know if all of their interviewers are one of the assistance deans? Because I know my interviewer was a pediatrician and she had an Italian sounding name that started with a C and there *is* a woman on that list who fits those specifications. So do we know if they only use assistant deans to interview? How bad would it be if I guessed wrong?
I totally agree that while thank you’s aren’t required, they’re a nice gesture!

I don’t think emailing admissions to say that you’d like to thank one of your interviewers but missed their name in the heat of interview day would be the end of the world. Probably better than guessing wrong IMO - but even that likely wouldn’t be terrible. Adcomms know interviews are stressful

I don’t believe all interviewers are assistant deans (neither of mine were)

Anyone know if the waitlist survey is mandatory? Does it show up on everyone waitlisted on the waitlist tab on the application portal?

When do they start pulling students off of the 1st tier waitlist? Is it rolling or does it begin starting april?

Reactions: 2 users
Got 1st tier waitlisted today, super disappointed although I know this is better than rejected. If I put that I have other offers on the survey, am I less likely to get an acceptance off the waitlist? Also, is there usually any movement on the 1st tier waitlist?

• Care
Kinda messed up of them to deliberately ask students where else they got accepted to. Seems dishonest of them to base decisions off of this.

Reactions: 10 users
Yeah I feel really weird answering that question. Does it make it less likely to get off the waiting list if I list other offers? Ugh, the mind games begin.

Reactions: 3 users
Got 1st tier waitlisted today, super disappointed although I know this is better than rejected. If I put that I have other offers on the survey, am I less likely to get an acceptance off the waitlist? Also, is there usually any movement on the 1st tier waitlist?
when did you interview, if you don't mind me asking?

Unbelievable. Got an A after interviewing on 1/27
LM 70.5 ORM, botched CASPER and VITA (had to retake this one)

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I have no other offers; I'm scared they may not take me off the WL if I indicate I have no other options cause they might think I can wait longer since I have no offers. :sour: :(

• Care
Very sad, placed on 2nd tier WL :( Interviewed on 1/29. My first interviewer was tough but I loved my second interview!
Anyone have any idea on movement on 2nd tier? From previous threads it seems like a good amount from 1st tier but unclear about 2nd tier

• Care
I received an email today that my "application remains under review and will continue to be considered for a position in our next class", I interviewed in mid-January. does anyone know what this means? is it like a deferral or something?

Any current students that could talk about tier 1 WL movement?

Withdrew my t1 waitlist today. Didn't gel with this school at all. Hope someone gets an A due to this! Also, what is with them asking me to disclose my acceptances/offers?

Reactions: 4 users
I have no other offers; I'm scared they may not take me off the WL if I indicate I have no other options cause they might think I can wait longer since I have no offers. :sour: :(
I really think that there will be tons of waitlist movement this cycle. Many places that I interviewed at from late January to early February seemed to still be in the relatively early stage of their admissions cycle. Most of the schools (out of the 8 that I got II from) were at least 6-8 weeks behind.

I didn't send anyone thank you notes, especially since they didn't give me their email address-- but we were cut short because the 30-minute session really wasn't very long. But I made it a point to really thank them for their time before the interview ended. I think that's good enough.

I received an email today that my "application remains under review and will continue to be considered for a position in our next class", I interviewed in mid-January. does anyone know what this means? is it like a deferral or something?
Don't quote me on this, but I think on previous threads students have gotten this and it basically means you're destined for either an A or 1st Tier Waitlist.

Pre-II R email, complete sometime in August, OOS, LM ~70.

• Care
pre-II R, first time getting two in one day :wacky:

Pre-II R. Complete 9/15.

• Care
one of the nicest rejections ive gotten i think ("this decision in no way reflects upon your ability to succeed in your future medical career")

seeing that you got rejected here somehow makes me feel better about this R lol
lmao I know this is a lighthearted comment, but this is why is important to share our "failures" too. Sometimes only seeing acceptances and success stories make us feel inadequate and give us a wrong perception of reality because ppl are less likely to share when they didn't accomplish a goal. Cheers!

• Care
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users