2019-2020 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone else on the waitlist (1st tier especially) just receive the interest survey?

Members don't see this ad.

• Hmm
Reactions: 7 users
Anyone else on the waitlist (1st tier especially) just receive the interest survey?
Yes received it about 15 minutes ago as well (I'm on the 1st tier waitlist too). Is this serving a similar purpose as a "Letter of Interest"?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes received it about 15 minutes ago as well (I'm on the 1st tier waitlist too). Is this serving a similar purpose as a "Letter of Interest"?

That's what I'm thinking. I was planning on sending one but now I'm glad I waited, hahaha.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one who thinks the interest survey is a little weird...? I know the Choose Your Medical School Tool purposefully keeps your identity hidden and only tells schools how many people selected plan to enroll. I've been accepted but I'm honestly torn between this and another school. If I fill out their interest survey they can see exactly what I selected and it's not anonymous right? Could this hurt me at all if I say "plan to enroll elsewhere?" I'm also uncomfortable listing the other schools I have acceptances at...

Does anyone know more about how they use the information we provide in this survey if we've been accepted?

Reactions: 4 users
Am I the only one who thinks the interest survey is a little weird...? I know the Choose Your Medical School Tool purposefully keeps your identity hidden and only tells schools how many people selected plan to enroll. I've been accepted but I'm honestly torn between this and another school. If I fill out their interest survey they can see exactly what I selected and it's not anonymous right? Could this hurt me at all if I say "plan to enroll elsewhere?"
If you have been accepted, I can't see how filling out the survey would hurt you in any way. I think it's just a way for them to gauge interest on how many students are strongly considering matriculating.

Reactions: 1 users
I am accepted and definitely not filling that out, I'll let them know on April 30th.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I'm accepted and filled it out in case it affects financial aid in any way. Figure it can't hurt, at least.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm accepted and filled it out in case it affects financial aid in any way. Figure it can't hurt, at least.
The thing is, regardless of how someone responds to the survey, it should have no impact on the financial aid offer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one who thinks the interest survey is a little weird...? I know the Choose Your Medical School Tool purposefully keeps your identity hidden and only tells schools how many people selected plan to enroll. I've been accepted but I'm honestly torn between this and another school. If I fill out their interest survey they can see exactly what I selected and it's not anonymous right? Could this hurt me at all if I say "plan to enroll elsewhere?" I'm also uncomfortable listing the other schools I have acceptances at...

Does anyone know more about how they use the information we provide in this survey if we've been accepted?

I agree....it's pretty weird for them to ask for that information. Maybe their yield is bad from the Choose Your Medical School tool.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
is waitlist an offer though? I would think other acceptances would be offers

"Please list the schools where you currently hold spots."

that's it
1582394408526.png

• Wow
The thing is, regardless of how someone responds to the survey, it should have no impact on the financial aid offer.

The problem is idk if they are less likely to give you a scholarship if you have more offers/ are thinking of going elsewhere or if they are more likely to give it to try to convince you to go. I don't think it will affect need-based aid.

how much did you all write for the 1500 characters for what type of med school you're looking for

do we have to tell them which other schools have waitlisted us? and do we have to tell them which other schools have given us offers? like is there actually any way for them to verify this information? i got the survey a few days ago and haven’t filled it out yet

do you guys know if we have to fill out fin aid for merit scholarship consideration?

how much did you all write for the 1500 characters for what type of med school you're looking for

I used all 1500 characters and incorporated stuff about Hofstra into each of my paragraphs.

all january interviewees should hear by the end of this week right??

did anyone not receive this survey? I was deferred a month or so ago and didn't get any sort of email with it

did anyone not receive this survey? I was deferred a month or so ago and didn't get any sort of email with it

It probably just went out to people with As or to people on the WL. You probably didn’t get it since you are still waiting on the final decision.

I wish Hofstra would tell me if I got that A or not already. The suspense is killing me!

Been thinking a little bit, but how do you guys think Hofstra will be affected by the Step 1 P/F change? I know it's a sore topic at this point, but I'm hoping that getting into good specialties/residencies won't be an issue from here.

Been thinking a little bit, but how do you guys think Hofstra will be affected by the Step 1 P/F change? I know it's a sore topic at this point, but I'm hoping that getting into good specialties/residencies won't be an issue from here.
I've been thinking about this a lot actually. Hofstra's strong emphasis on clinical exposure from day 1 will certainly prepare students to do well in step 2. But, Hofstra's somewhat low ranking worries me. I'm not sure how much ranking will affect residency apps... And, that's the big question that's affecting my decision in where to enroll

1st tier waitlist, interview 1/24. Anyone know how much movement 1st tier sees?

If I interviewed 1/23 and have not heard anything...what the heck is going on lol?

I
I've been thinking about this a lot actually. Hofstra's strong emphasis on clinical exposure from day 1 will certainly prepare students to do well in step 2. But, Hofstra's somewhat low ranking worries me. I'm not sure how much ranking will affect residency apps... And, that's the big question that's affecting my decision in where to enroll

I don’t think their ranking reflects their reputation. The match list is pretty top tier heavy. MGH/Brigham...

Reactions: 3 users
Just got placed on 1st tier waitlist. Interviewed in early September, deferred in January.

+1 first tier waitlist. Debating whether to accept because not sure if I'll get any merit aid if I get off the waitlist. Interviewed December, deferred January

1st tier as well. Anyone know if historically that affects our financial package (of course if we manage to get in?). AKA, does this mean we would get less merit aid.

1st tier waitlist. Interviewed early Jan. Withdrawing. Good luck everyone!

1st tier waitlist today! Interviewed Dec deferred in Jan!!!! Anyone knows how many ppl are there in each tier?