2019-2020 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interviewed on Wednesday. This school honestly blew me away.
That’s awesome! What did you like about it?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s awesome! What did you like about it?

For me it was all about the curriculum and school culture. The curriculum approach is definitely very unique but I can see that both the faculty and student body buy into it very much. I can see their curriculum structure being a turn off for other people, but for me that was a huge plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it ok if the photo has a garden/floral background? Or would that seem unprofessional?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it ok if the photo has a garden/floral background? Or would that seem unprofessional?
All my schools received a face photo of me in front of a farm, wearing a leather jacket. I've received 4 interviews. I don't think it really matters all that much.

do you guys know if there is a way to see who we will be interviewed by?

edit: like their names specifically, or no because this is all MMI?

II today; complete mid to late July

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewing tomorrow -- will update y'all on how it went. So so excited.

Reactions: 8 users
Loved the school! I think there are aspects that you need to wrap your mind around since the school seems to do things very different from others. You either really liked the way things are done or don't at all. The students genuinely seem so happy there, though, and that alone sold me on the school. Very close community and great faculty. Interview was very chill and well run. Very typical MMI questions. Overall they did a good job showing you all the school has to offer in the short time you were there.

Loved the school! I think there are aspects that you need to wrap your mind around since the school seems to do things very different from others. You either really liked the way things are done or don't at all. The students genuinely seem so happy there, though, and that alone sold me on the school. Very close community and great faculty. Interview was very chill and well run. Very typical MMI questions. Overall they did a good job showing you all the school has to offer in the short time you were there.
Hey! Just wondering, if you stayed at the hotel, how did you get the the school without having a car?

Hey! Just wondering, if you stayed at the hotel, how did you get the the school without having a car?

Obviously not imaweisted, but I got to my place via Uber. The hotel I stayed at also had cabs available.

Members don't see this ad :)

Pro tip I stayed at the la Quinta and they had a shuttle you could schedule that would take you to the campus!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Pro tip I stayed at the la Quinta and they had a shuttle you could schedule that would take you to the campus!
Looking at booking.com, the hotels cost almost $170/night at the cheapest.. is this about how much you paid?

Protip for those interviewing: There are some AirBnb's close to the school for around $50 a night. Hofstra also has some student hosting but it's very limited, so they don't generally advertise it.

awesome, thank you!
how do you like the curriculum? i know most of it is self-direct, do you feel like it actually achieves that goal? do you feel like it makes things easier or harder? how are the tests? i've heard lectures aren't recorded, is that still true? how diverse is the school? that's another complaint I saw on SDN that the school lacks diversity? do we need a car? and are there real dissections in anatomy lab? how do you feel about the whole EMT thing?

awesome, thank you!
how do you like the curriculum? i know most of it is self-direct, do you feel like it actually achieves that goal? do you feel like it makes things easier or harder? how are the tests? i've heard lectures aren't recorded, is that still true? how diverse is the school? that's another complaint I saw on SDN that the school lacks diversity? do we need a car? and are there real dissections in anatomy lab? how do you feel about the whole EMT thing?

That's a lot of questions! Here are my best attempts to answer them:

Curriculum: Can't speak for anyone else, but I personally love the curriculum here. It's "self-directed" in the sense that most of the initial learning is through your own research, but the school makes it as easy as possible. You get a list of bite-sized learning objectives before each structure lab session or "lecture," along with suggested textbook chapter(s) or online resources that will answer them. You're free to use whatever resources you want - I personally detest videos and will read a chapter or two, whereas some of my classmates swear by Boards and Beyond/Pathoma videos. You also make a list of learning objectives for each case in the PBL sessions, and do your own research based on those. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I was a pretty terrible student in undergrad so I'm used to looking stuff up on my own, and I'm enjoying it a lot.
Lectures: The large-group sessions are not recorded. However, they're usually less of a lecture than an interactive discussion, and the lecture halls have microphones between every seat. Sometimes, the professors might use only a 4-5 slide presentation for the entire session, because of how much discussion is going on.
Exams: The essay exams are less "essay" and more "short answer" - each response is something like 3-5 sentences. IMO, it's nice because even if you are wrong in your ultimate assessment, you can still get a lot of partial credit if you justify your answer correctly. The exam is also not graded numerically - you get a green/yellow/red light for the written exam based on your responses, and if all the block components are green/yellow (including anatomy assessment, professionalism, PBL evaluation, etc), you pass the block. It's pass/fail in the truest sense.
Diversity: I personally can't speak much to this, other than the class composition seems to vary somewhat from year-to-year. For my class, there's not really anything that strikes me as "this school isn't very diverse."
Car: You are essentially required to have a car, since Nassau County is pretty much just suburbia without good public transport. Additionally, your initial clinical sites in M1/M2 could be as far as 15-20 miles away.
Dissections: There are some dissections, especially in your second year as you go more in-depth in the musculoskeletal system. However, the primary objective of the sessions is for you to learn what a given structure "looks like" in a radiograph/on histology/in a diseased patient/in a healthy patient/etc. For example, in a week on lung pathology, you might have a station showing what a pleural effusion looks like on CT and X-ray, a histology station showing bronchial epithelium damage due to smoking, a station with a prosected pathological lung, and a station with a prosected normal lung. You rotate among the various stations in small groups, and discuss aspects of the anatomy with the preceptors (e.g. how do we know it's a pleural effusion and not pneumonia on this x-ray?).
EMT: For me, the EMT portion of the curriculum was mostly background noise. You basically spend 1 day a week on this material during the first 7 weeks, and do the minimum required for an EMT-B license. Most of us spent very little time on this portion, other than cursorily reviewing question banks each week to be able to pass the weekly online unit exams. You do get very early clinical experience during your 2 ambulance rotations though - one of my classmates ended up performing chest compressions on 4 cardiac arrest patients during her first rotation, just 2 weeks into school.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
That's a lot of questions! Here are my best attempts to answer them:

Curriculum: Can't speak for anyone else, but I personally love the curriculum here. It's "self-directed" in the sense that most of the initial learning is through your own research, but the school makes it as easy as possible. You get a list of bite-sized learning objectives before each structure lab session or "lecture," along with suggested textbook chapter(s) or online resources that will answer them. You're free to use whatever resources you want - I personally detest videos and will read a chapter or two, whereas some of my classmates swear by Boards and Beyond/Pathoma videos. You also make a list of learning objectives for each case in the PBL sessions, and do your own research based on those. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I was a pretty terrible student in undergrad so I'm used to looking stuff up on my own, and I'm enjoying it a lot.
Lectures: The large-group sessions are not recorded. However, they're usually less of a lecture than an interactive discussion, and the lecture halls have microphones between every seat. Sometimes, the professors might use only a 4-5 slide presentation for the entire session, because of how much discussion is going on.
Exams: The essay exams are less "essay" and more "short answer" - each response is something like 3-5 sentences. IMO, it's nice because even if you are wrong in your ultimate assessment, you can still get a lot of partial credit if you justify your answer correctly. The exam is also not graded numerically - you get a green/yellow/red light for the written exam based on your responses, and if all the block components are green/yellow (including anatomy assessment, professionalism, PBL evaluation, etc), you pass the block. It's pass/fail in the truest sense.
Diversity: I personally can't speak much to this, other than the class composition seems to vary somewhat from year-to-year. For my class, there's not really anything that strikes me as "this school isn't very diverse."
Car: You are essentially required to have a car, since Nassau County is pretty much just suburbia without good public transport. Additionally, your initial clinical sites in M1/M2 could be as far as 15-20 miles away.
Dissections: There are some dissections, especially in your second year as you go more in-depth in the musculoskeletal system. However, the primary objective of the sessions is for you to learn what a given structure "looks like" in a radiograph/on histology/in a diseased patient/in a healthy patient/etc. For example, in a week on lung pathology, you might have a station showing what a pleural effusion looks like on CT and X-ray, a histology station showing bronchial epithelium damage due to smoking, a station with a prosected pathological lung, and a station with a prosected normal lung. You rotate among the various stations in small groups, and discuss aspects of the anatomy with the preceptors (e.g. how do we know it's a pleural effusion and not pneumonia on this x-ray?).
EMT: For me, the EMT portion of the curriculum was mostly background noise. You basically spend 1 day a week on this material during the first 7 weeks, and do the minimum required for an EMT-B license. Most of us spent very little time on this portion, other than cursorily reviewing question banks each week to be able to pass the weekly online unit exams. You do get very early clinical experience during your 2 ambulance rotations though - one of my classmates ended up performing chest compressions on 4 cardiac arrest patients during her first rotation, just 2 weeks into school.
4 cardiac arrest called in one rotation? That's insanely lucky lol... I have around 1000 hours of 911 EMT experience and I've only done CPR a couple dozen times.

For those of you that have already interviewed here, did you upload separate thank you letters for each interviewer? Just the traditional interviews? I was thinking of maybe creating one document that is addressed to everyone? I want it to be an genuine as possible, and I think it would be difficult to do that for each and every person individually since many of the interactions were so short.

For those of you that have already interviewed here, did you upload separate thank you letters for each interviewer? Just the traditional interviews? I was thinking of maybe creating one document that is addressed to everyone? I want it to be an genuine as possible, and I think it would be difficult to do that for each and every person individually since many of the interactions were so short.
I didn't. The admissions dean said it's not recommended. It really will not make a difference and tbh the interviewers don't care either way; they don't remember you.

Reactions: 3 users
II just now!
OOS LM 75 Complete 7/23

Just wondering - is it bad if I schedule in Dec if there are earlier dates available? Would that look bad?

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
II earlier :) OOS and complete 8/3. Wohoo im excited!
earliest dates for me to schedule were in Nov.

• Love
II just now!
OOS LM 75 Complete 7/23

Just wondering - is it bad if I schedule in Dec if there are earlier dates available? Would that look bad?

i did the same thing when i got an II from here a few weeks ago (scheduled in dec. even though there were earlier dates were available.) I really doubt they’re going to look too much into it!

Reactions: 1 users
if you've already interviewed here, when did you get out? i am trying to make it to a class the night of my interview and i really can't miss it...i know the website says around 2, but just wanted to ask on here

thanks guys!

if you've already interviewed here, when did you get out? i am trying to make it to a class the night of my interview and i really can't miss it...i know the website says around 2, but just wanted to ask on here

thanks guys!
We were done around 1:45!

thanks guys!

We were done around 1:45!

Just to piggyback, at mine they were also done at around 1:50ish. They were really really good about sticking to times and making sure everything was done in an orderly fashion.

II today. Oos, orm, lm 76, complete 7/29

Confirmed not a casper psychopath

Reactions: 10 users
For those of y'all who already interviewed, did they say how long it would take before you hear back? Anxiety levels are getting higher as Oct 15 gets closer :eek:

For those of y'all who already interviewed, did they say how long it would take before you hear back? Anxiety levels are getting higher as Oct 15 gets closer :eek:

Oof, don't get too excited. Earliest they said was mid-December, regardless of when you interviewed.