2019-2020 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II this morning. IS, Complete 8/9.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
II today!! Complete 7/28
interviews available mid-Nov through January

Reactions: 11 users
For those who interviewed, how was the overall stress/difficulty? I've had some MMIs which were relatively chill and some more grilling. I can't really picture what a combo MMI with traditional one-on-one would be like. Any advice on prep?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who interviewed, how was the overall stress/difficulty? I've had some MMIs which were relatively chill and some more grilling. I can't really picture what a combo MMI with traditional one-on-one would be like. Any advice on prep?
The MMI was pretty fun to be honest. Very casual and more of a conversation than a one-way talk. The whole experience in general was very positive! No way to prep except maybe general traditional interview prepping for those 2 14 minute ones

Reactions: 2 users
II just now. :) OOS, complete 8/8.

• Love
Reactions: 13 users

This was my 5th MMI and by far the easiest/most relaxed. All the interviewers were super nice and conversational, seemed like they were really making an effort to make you feel comfortable (definitely unlike some MMI interviewers I've had). The traditional one-on-one were both open file, my interviewers had taken notes ahead of time about questions to ask. Again, very relaxed and conversational. In terms of prep, I would just look up common med school interview questions and know your application well. Nothing unexpected came up on interview day :)

II! deciding on whether or not to decline this interview since it will be costly to travel from west to east coast

can anyone share about Zucker's financial aid generosity? are they known to give grants/scholarships to students? thank you!

II! deciding on whether or not to decline this interview since it will be costly to travel from west to east coast

can anyone share about Zucker's financial aid generosity? are they known to give grants/scholarships to students? thank you!

If I remember right, they said the average student gets 50% of tuition covered in scholarships.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone who got interviews today happen to be at the uc Davis pre-health conference? Wondering if this had any factor in it

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who got interviews today happen to be at the uc Davis pre-health conference? Wondering if this had any factor in it
My guess is that if you got an II today, they already decided to interview you before the conference. Who knows, though! Regardless, congrats!

I am curious because we gave the adcom our contact info. Some schools said they will look at our app again after giving them our info. I guess we will never know.
I think it's too quick tbh. My friend who thinks they got iis from going didn't get them for a few weeks after.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Hofstra has a reputation for being pretty generous with financial aid. The average student gets at least ~$20,000 in scholarships IIRC, and they will generally match offers from other schools. They also can give you an interest-free institutional loan that covers a chunk of the CoA.

Unless you're swimming in II's or have an offer from a school you like it's probably worth it to fly out.

Reactions: 3 users
Hofstra has a reputation for being pretty generous with financial aid. The average student gets at least ~$20,000 in scholarships IIRC, and they will generally match offers from other schools. They also can give you an interest-free institutional loan that covers a chunk of the CoA.

Unless you're swimming in II's or have an offer from a school you like it's probably worth it to fly out.
Thank you!!

II! Complete 8/13. They're scheduling December/January

II LM75 Complete Mid-Late Aug

Got an II last week, scheduled for 12/9! Anyone here interviewing on the same date or going to be in that region? Would love to hang out and explore NY that weekend! I’m flying in Friday Dec. 6th and then leaving after the interview Dec. 9th evening.

Is Hofstra one of the schools that encourages post-interview update letters (aka does not submitting an update letter negatively impact your admissions decisions at all)?

Is Hofstra one of the schools that encourages post-interview update letters (aka does not submitting an update letter negatively impact your admissions decisions at all)?
I've never heard of a school outright expecting a post-interview acceptance letter. Doesn't mean it's not a thing I just haven't heard of it. Seems like if you don't have anything significant to report it shouldn't matter.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never heard of a school outright expecting a post-interview acceptance letter. Doesn't mean it's not a thing I just haven't heard of it. Seems like if you don't have anything significant to report it shouldn't matter.
Agreed. Schools may allow and accept update letters, but I doubt there are many (if any) that expect or encourage them

II! OOS. Complete 8/21

Last edited:
II today! SO EXCITED! OOS, complete 8/26

• Love
Reactions: 13 users
Forgot to post earlier but received an II on 10/23. OOS, ORM, LM 72. This was my first II (submitted secondaries in August).

Does anyone know if interviewing earlier would significantly improve my chances? I'm leaning toward choosing late December, but I could also make it to the one in late November.

Forgot to post earlier but received an II on 10/23. OOS, ORM, LM 72. This was my first II (submitted secondaries in August).

Does anyone know if interviewing earlier would significantly improve my chances? I'm leaning toward choosing late December, but I could also make it to the one in late November.
I am 90% sure they said decisions would begin going out in December. So it might be in your favor to schedule earlier when less A’s are given out. Then again a week or two difference in the interview date is probably negligible. A month may be a little more significant

Reactions: 5 users
I am 90% sure they said decisions would begin going out in December. So it might be in your favor to schedule earlier when less A’s are given out. Then again a week or two difference in the interview date is probably negligible. A month may be a little more significant
+1 they said early/mid December will be the first wave of As. Such a long wait from interviewing early sept

+1 they said early/mid December will be the first wave of As. Such a long wait from interviewing early sept

Do you know when the second wave of As would be? Or is it just rolling after that?

II today, submitted 10/17.

II today! Lots of dates available, and you can check a box for food restrictions!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
II today as well, submitted 8/26. There are slots available next week onwards (no time to prepare oof...) Is this what historic week feels like bros?
Can anybody speak to how they feel about the medical school, or link me somewhere? Curious about education and life here

Once again, i will hit the Hofstra gods with a

plz hofstra plz

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
II today too! OOS, LM 74, complete 7/19

Following the II wave here! :) It's also my first II so internally panicking a bit but I'm so excited!! Complete on 8/31!

Reactions: 6 users
What are the dates available?
I signed up later in the day yesterday and there were like 3 dates in December and a couple in January, I think 12/11, 12/19, 12/20, and I didn't pay especially close attention to the January dates sorry