2020-2021 Boston University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anyone know how the waitlist movement is? esp if you write a letter of intent?
It’s pretty bad. Something like 5% on a good year.

Members don't see this ad.

Should waitlisted students submit MSR documentation? Or can we wait until after (if) we are accepted? Does the space run out quick?
I would if you wanted to live there. You'd have a decent chance of getting a spot even if you waited but things could change due to more people wanting an easier place to live due to Covid

Just received a financial aid package from another school that I can't turn down. I'll be withdrawing my acceptance and dean's scholarship here -- hope they go to someone on the WL!

• Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would if you wanted to live there. You'd have a decent chance of getting a spot even if you waited but things could change due to more people wanting an easier place to live due to Covid
did WL students receive an email to apply for MSR housing too? or where do WL students apply/submit documentation?

Reactions: 1 user
Just withdrew my acceptance and Dean's scholarship

Reactions: 6 users
did anyone contact Boston about how big their wait list is and if they anticipate any movement this year?
I doubt they would give this info out. In the past, they've had a large wait list (300) and not a lot of movement. But perhaps that will change this year because of covid. Maybe they gave more A's to people who will turn them down for an ivy because it was a more competitive cycle. Here's hoping:)

Last edited:
did anyone contact Boston about how big their wait list is and if they anticipate any movement this year?
MSAR says 300 WLs and 20 accepted from it in general. These numbers were true from the past MSAR (2018-2019) and the one just updated (2019-2020)

Did anyone from the March wave of A's get financial aid yet besides the Dean's Scholarship notification? I thought we were guaranteed this info before second look :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone from the March wave of A's get financial aid yet besides the Dean's Scholarship notification? I thought we were guaranteed this info before second look :(

I got my financial aid package yesterday (with acceptance in March)! Double check that they have your SSN or proof of citizenship, because that might be the hold up.

Also withdrew my acceptance lol, really loved my interviewer & the mission of this school & Boston, but can't afford it :(

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
I got my financial aid package yesterday (with acceptance in March)! Double check that they have your SSN or proof of citizenship, because that might be the hold up.

Also withdrew my acceptance lol, really loved my interviewer & the mission of this school & Boston, but can't afford it :(
Sorry to hear! Do you mind clarifying - I don't see a place to upload my SSN or citizenship proof anywhere. I know from earlier in this thread there was apparently a citizenship match item in the financial aid portal but I don't have that in mine.

Sorry to hear! Do you mind clarifying - I don't see a place to upload my SSN or citizenship proof anywhere. I know from earlier in this thread there was apparently a citizenship match item in the financial aid portal but I don't have that in mine.
I don't think I had to do this and recieved my financial aid. You can also email them to clarify if they are waiting on anything else, which is what I did and they had confirmed I just had to sit tight

• Care
I don't think I had to do this and recieved my financial aid. You can also email them to clarify if they are waiting on anything else, which is what I did and they had confirmed I just had to sit tight
Great thanks!!

On the financial aid portal, there's a list of documents that are required, and proof of citizenship showed up as missing for me. I also got an email notifying me. But if none of this happened for you, you should be fine!

• Care
is anyone here planning to withdraw? (just to give some hope to us waitlisted folks) :)
There has been a constant, but very slow trickle of people leaving the GroupMe. Unfortunately, judging from FB and the GroupMe, I think we're probably still a bit over the class size

is anyone here planning to withdraw? (just to give some hope to us waitlisted folks) :)

I'm planning on withdrawing my A either tomorrow or Tuesday. It's a tough choice for me, but I wish the best of luck to all those on the WL who have BUSM as their first choice.

Reactions: 4 users
Wow I didn't even get loans up to cost of attendance, so to cover full CoA I'd be forced to have my parents help. I thought we least got federal loans up to COA? I think it was the PLUS loans that I didn't get any of, but I got those at other schools

Last edited:
Wow I didn't even get loans up to cost of attendance, so to cover full CoA I'd be forced to have my parents help. I thought we least got federal loans up to COA? I think it was the PLUS loans that I didn't get any of, but I got those at other schools
PLUS loans are a separate app and not considered need-based aid, thus are not enumerated as part of the initial package. Some schools list it in their packages for illustrative purposes but you are still required to apply separately. That process begins late next month. There is a CoA gap for everyone as Direct Loans have a yearly limit on them. BUSM doesn't expect you to pay out of pocket and everyone (almost) can qualify for PLUS.

Last edited by a moderator:
Withdrew my WL position, good luck to everyone on the waitlist! hopefully there's some good movement this year.

Reactions: 7 users
Historically, when do they usually send out acceptances?

Historically, when do they usually send out acceptances?
So they said around June in the waitlist email, but last year's SDN had some movement starting this week (approximately). Not a lot of people posted about waitlist movement last year tbh, but people mentioned their friends who got in around the beginning of June. We'll see what happens this year- not sure if the increase in apps will make things move more or less.

I heard from my coworker that her cousin had received BU's acceptance call this Monday, 5/3. So I'm guessing they have already started to call some people, but no one is posting about it yet. Last year, my friend had also gotten off the waitlist and she said she received her acceptance call from BU the first week of May.

Reactions: 3 users
I guess if we don’t hear back this week, we’ll have a trickle of As as if somelme drops their spot

It looks like there has been an increase in the number of people in the FB group. Do you think this is due to WL movement?

It looks like there has been an increase in the number of people in the FB group. Do you think this is due to WL movement?
There have been recent joiners to the FB and GroupMe/Discord after a good amount of people dropped on April 30 so I imagine it's likely due to WL movement

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the GroupMe just admitted students that are incoming this year or is it also current students? Do we think the class is most likely full
GroupMe has admitted students and a limited handful of admissions ambassadors (current students)

did they send you something? i didn't get anything haha
Received an email saying the class is full, and to expect waitlist movement in June and July. Haven't they started accepting people off the waitlist already? Not sure what the increase in FB members mentioned above was about if not