2020-2021 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anybody have insight on post-II decision releases? I was expecting decisions last friday or this monday, but now I am confused if I misheard when the admissions folks were telling us we would hear back? does anybody know?
I had generally really good interactions with the admissions office so just give them a call!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Could anyone give insight in regards to the interview day? By groups, is it a group interview? I know the website says it's essentially a 1 on 1 (or 2) but the "group" part is throwing me off.

Gave up my acceptance here at Harrogate. Hope it goes to someone waiting for good news.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gave up my A at Harrogate last week. Hope it goes to one of you. Good luck.

Reactions: 4 users
Could anyone give insight in regards to the interview day? By groups, is it a group interview? I know the website says it's essentially a 1 on 1 (or 2) but the "group" part is throwing me off.
Interview is two faculty members and and interviewee. Super low key blind interview, nothing much to do to prepare, just come ready to answer questions! It was a great experience, you will be fine.

There are a whole bunch of negative nancys on this thread...just some thoughts:

I am a first-year in Harrogate, I have had a great time. Of course there are people that have had to remediate or have failed. It happens, it is medical school and it is hard. Getting in is only a fraction of what is to come, but that is what you signed up for. If you treat it like a full-time job and work your hardest you will be okay. And if you struggle you get help. I by no means am a 4.0 student but I am doing very well, a lot of people are. There are hard classes and exams but that is just the way it is, if that makes LMU "terrible" then you won't like any medical school curriculum.

As for COMLEX scores, they prepare students well for exams. All of our exams are set up like COMLEX questions, very very similar to something you would see on UWORLD. So, if a student doesn't do well on their COMLEX it is not the school's problem. Personal accountability is key. In the future you aren't going to walk into a surgery, perform poorly in surgery and then blame administration for it. They also did great for residency matches this year. Overall DCOM is a great school, everyone who got in should be very proud and not let toxic people on this threat discourage them. You will be great!

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 9 users

I am a first-year in Harrogate, I have had a great time. Of course there are people that have had to remediate or have failed. It happens, it is medical school and it is hard. Getting in is only a fraction of what is to come, but that is what you signed up for. If you treat it like a full-time job and work your hardest you will be okay. And if you struggle you get help. I by no means am a 4.0 student but I am doing very well, a lot of people are. There are hard classes and exams but that is just the way it is, if that makes LMU "terrible" then you won't like any medical school curriculum.

As for COMLEX scores, they prepare students well for exams. All of our exams are set up like COMLEX questions, very very similar to something you would see on UWORLD. So, if a student doesn't do well on their COMLEX it is not the school's problem. Personal accountability is key. In the future you aren't going to walk into a surgery, perform poorly in surgery and then blame administration for it. They also did great for residency matches this year. Overall DCOM is a great school, everyone who got in should be very proud and not let toxic people on this threat discourage them. You will be great!
👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

Reactions: 1 users

Negative Nancy or realistic? No offense but you literally have no idea. First year was an absolute breeze compared to second year, and most upperclassmen would agree (just material in general aside from the school issues). Refer to previous post when I said I felt the same as you last year, but that mentality can only go so far when the school continually screws you over. First year professors were great, and did everything they could to help. I won’t argue there- but second year is where it goes off the rails and based off what I’ve read from previous threads it’s not just my class who feels this way. Again, I sincerely hope it’s COVID but don’t call us negative nancies when you literally have zero experience. Also, I am close to faculty and there were more people in 2024 failing this semester than we had all first year. So even your comment about “a lot “ of people doing well isn’t accurate.. though that likely is COVID related.
sure only a small portion of current students are on SDN still, but I know a ton of 2,3 and 4 years and 9/10 of them will tell you this school sucks and most of them came here bc it was the only choice they had. I’m not trying to be a jerk I just don’t want people to have this false sense of hope that I had coming in. Realistic.

edit to add: also food for thought- have you been on any other school thread with this many current and past students slamming the school? I’m willing to bet not, because I didn’t come across any when I applied- and that alone should be a red flag.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
  • Okay...
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
False hope is absolutely not my intention. But despite flaws, the reality is the majority will end up being doctors, placing in residencies, and doing just fine.
I just do not think it appropriate to come into a thread with students who are thrilled to have just been accepted and crap on the school they may have gotten their one acceptance to...I don’t get what the goal is? I really don’t understand why current students are hanging out on SDN and discouraging students who were just accepted.
I remember being so discouraged after coming on here when I was accepted, and it’s been just fine. And many of my friends that are second years are just fine and headed to rotations.
So everyone who got in, do with that what you will. You are going to be just fine, seriously.

False hope is absolutely not my intention. But despite flaws, the reality is the majority will end up being doctors, placing in residencies, and doing just fine.
I just do not think it appropriate to come into a thread with students who are thrilled to have just been accepted and crap on the school they may have gotten their one acceptance to...I don’t get what the goal is? I really don’t understand why current students are hanging out on SDN and discouraging students who were just accepted.
I remember being so discouraged after coming on here when I was accepted, and it’s been just fine. And many of my friends that are second years are just fine and headed to rotations.
So everyone who got in, do with that what you will. You are going to be just fine, seriously.
I’ve made my motive known multiple times. It doesn’t take much for anyone to find this info elsewhere either. If it’s an only acceptance than yeah, they should take it for sure.
And honestly.. the worst thing I’ve said is they don’t care about you so..

• Haha
I’ve made my motive known multiple times. It doesn’t take much for anyone to find this info elsewhere either. If it’s an only acceptance than yeah, they should take it for sure.
And honestly.. the worst thing I’ve said is they don’t care about you so..
Everyone that I have spoken to, either in person or through social medial, said good things about the school. First-year students, second years students, students who have graduated already, etc....everyone would basically only said positive things about LMU. The ONLY people who I have EVER seen talking bad about the school are here on SDN.
People who already graduated and are now on their residency would have no reason to "lie" to me and say so many positive things if it wasn't true. So again, most of the negative things I hear are here of this forum.
This does not mean the school doesn't have its problems, it does. It's just that overall, most people don't have so many issues besides SDN students.
So yeah.... I am open to new points of view and comments, BUT every time I hear something "bad" is through this anonymous forum. NEVER someone I actually spoke to said such things. In reality, when I asked alumni docs from LMU why so much "hate" on SDN, they usually just said that people who are succeeding usually don't spend their time on this thread, but the people who are USUALLY struggling and having trouble are the ones coming here as their only way to "spit" what they have inside.
Again, not saying your experience isn't valid or what you are saying is a lie, just stating the fact that the people "in real life", face to face, that I have spoken to NEVER said anything even close to what it has been said in this forum...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Negative Nancy or realistic? No offense but you literally have no idea. First year was an absolute breeze compared to second year, and most upperclassmen would agree (just material in general aside from the school issues). Refer to previous post when I said I felt the same as you last year, but that mentality can only go so far when the school continually screws you over. First year professors were great, and did everything they could to help. I won’t argue there- but second year is where it goes off the rails and based off what I’ve read from previous threads it’s not just my class who feels this way. Again, I sincerely hope it’s COVID but don’t call us negative nancies when you literally have zero experience. Also, I am close to faculty and there were more people in 2024 failing this semester than we had all first year. So even your comment about “a lot “ of people doing well isn’t accurate.. though that likely is COVID related.
sure only a small portion of current students are on SDN still, but I know a ton of 2,3 and 4 years and 9/10 of them will tell you this school sucks and most of them came here bc it was the only choice they had. I’m not trying to be a jerk I just don’t want people to have this false sense of hope that I had coming in. Realistic.

edit to add: also food for thought- have you been on any other school thread with this many current and past students slamming the school? I’m willing to bet not, because I didn’t come across any when I applied- and that alone should be a red flag.
Thank you for speaking the truth .... Those that have are now banned from this site .

Thank you for speaking the truth .... Those that have are now banned from this site .
Those who were banned were literally spreading lies about the program. For goodness sake one user came on her complaining that LMU is horrible program because they basically gave him too many chances and he failed 3 classes and had repeat because of them. Many complaints about LMUDCOM has been fair and I agree with some. However these issues constantly being said on the thread is not out of the ordinary and I’ve heard the same complaints at other DO programs from students I know in person .

Members don't see this ad :)
If there’s anything consistent about DCOM, it’s that a selection of current students will self-identify themselves on an anonymous page for pre-meds and fight with each other on an exam weekend rather than study.

• Haha
  • Okay...
If there’s anything consistent about DCOM, it’s that a selection of current students will self-identify themselves on an anonymous page for pre-meds and fight with each other on an exam weekend rather than study.
Almost as bad as someone who isn’t even a student trolling the page, no?

I forgot med school means you study every second of your life, and can’t do anything else 🤣🤣

Last edited:
I interviewed here and the interviewer asked “how do I know around 3rd or 4th year you won’t say I’m sick of this and quit?”
How was I suppose to answer that lol

• Haha
  • Wow
I interviewed here and the interviewer asked “how do I know around 3rd or 4th year you won’t say I’m sick of this and quit?”
How was I suppose to answer that lol
Well, you could have answered in many ways. In my case, for example, I would have said that during my undergraduate I have extensively volunteered in positions that directly exposed me to medicine. I have volunteered at hospitals and shadowed many doctors for years, which gave me a broad understanding of the field I was interested in. After many years working closely with physicians and patients, I was just more certain of my decision to become a physician and of my desire to give it back to my community. I know for a fact that after facing all the challenges to get where I am today, I am even more certain and passionate about the field I have chosen. If I am giving the opportunity to come to medical school here and after facing all the challenges I had to face in order to get here, I would never give up on my decision and opportunity to become a physician.

I would have said something along those lines...

Well, you could have answered in many ways. In my case, for example, I would have said that during my undergraduate I have extensively volunteered in positions that directly exposed me to medicine. I have volunteered at hospitals and shadowed many doctors for years, which gave me a broad understanding of the field I was interested in. After many years working closely with physicians and patients, I was just more certain of my decision to become a physician and of my desire to give it back to my community. I know for a fact that after facing all the challenges to get where I am today, I am even more certain and passionate about the field I have chosen. If I am giving the opportunity to come to medical school here and after facing all the challenges I had to face in order to get here, I would never give up on my decision and opportunity to become a physician.

I would have said something along those lines...
I said something very similar to that! then he followed up with "They said that to me 3 years ago" and I said "listen i cant promise you anything because they promised you the same thing and look. All I can say is im not naive to the process of being a doc. It would be naive of me to say with 100% percent certainty what the future will be. All I know if I have been through many obstacles and seen and spoke with medical students and I know despite the obstacles needed to be a doctor its a passion and its in my heart." It was probably wrong but idc anymore. I keep rethinking it all over and over again.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Still a weird question from LMU tbh. Unless phrasing "students leaving" is a way to mask their attrition rate?
There is so much debt involved that the sunk cost fallacy already exists.

Still a weird question from LMU tbh. Unless phrasing "students leaving" is a way to mask their attrition rate?
There is so much debt involved that the sunk cost fallacy already exists.
I was annoyed when I was asked that... like get to know me. Ask me ethical questions. Not that. Like did he want me to say i never dropped out of anything in my life?? I prob got rejected

• Care
I said something very similar to that! then he followed up with "They said that to me 3 years ago" and I said "listen i cant promise you anything because they promised you the same thing and look. All I can say is im not naive to the process of being a doc. It would be naive of me to say with 100% percent certainty what the future will be. All I know if I have been through many obstacles and seen and spoke with medical students and I know despite the obstacles needed to be a doctor its a passion and its in my heart." It was probably wrong but idc anymore. I keep rethinking it all over and over again.

lol i got a similar question during my interview a while back. I think your answer is realistic and that's good. I usually have thought that using "100%" words like 'never', 'always', etc made me seem unrealistic for some odd reason.

I added by telling them I welcomed alternative professions, but have ended up convincing myself that I don't want the alternatives. I also compared it to my favorite sport. I was telling them how I even get tired of playing my sport sometimes because I'm worn out, have bad days etc., but I still continue to have that desire to play because of how interested I'm in the sport and how I want to get better. I told them I may end up having bad days that don't go my way in medical school, but I still have a similar desire like the one for the sport. There were other specifics because they bounced questions off what I was telling them but that's the summary. Personally, it's not that easy to put into words. Wish you the best tho.

Wow. I would love to know who this was? That’s awful I’m sorry

lol i got a similar question during my interview a while back. I think your answer is realistic and that's good. I usually have thought that using "100%" words like 'never', 'always', etc made me seem unrealistic for some odd reason.

I added by telling them I welcomed alternative professions, but have ended up convincing myself that I don't want the alternatives. I also compared it to my favorite sport. I was telling them how I even get tired of playing my sport sometimes because I'm worn out, have bad days etc., but I still continue to have that desire to play because of how interested I'm in the sport and how I want to get better. I told them I may end up having bad days that don't go my way in medical school, but I still have a similar desire like the one for the sport. There were other specifics because they bounced questions off what I was telling them but that's the summary. Personally, it's not that easy to put into words. Wish you the best tho.
Ya I felt too attacked to even bring in personal situations or hobbies. When I tried to bring in hobbies and that stuff he called me boring lol. Did you get accepted?

• Wow
Ya I felt too attacked to even bring in personal situations or hobbies. When I tried to bring in hobbies and that stuff he called me boring lol. Did you get accepted?
yes im a first year. and your interviewer just sounds harsh, sorry about that

Welllll i was waitlisted lol. I thought id be rejected after that interview

Has anybody received anymore interview invites this month?

Has anybody received anymore interview invites this month?
I know there was one for today but it may have been the last one for this cycle. Don't quote me on that though!

Do any accepted students know how strict the May 1st deadline is to commit? Is it just to pay the deposit? I am still holding out for some other offers from MD schools and the deadline for those is later. I am just trying to figure out if I can make the decision a little later if I need to.

Do any accepted students know how strict the May 1st deadline is to commit? Is it just to pay the deposit? I am still holding out for some other offers from MD schools and the deadline for those is later. I am just trying to figure out if I can make the decision a little later if I need to.
Couldn't hurt to email Robin Mace at DCOM and ask. I wouldn't risk losing your only spot if you hold no other acceptances though... but feel free to wait another week and maybe you'll get lucky and save some money.

Unless it’s changed, it’s just to pay the deposit and hold your seat. You won’t get the money back.

You can pay your deposit to save your seat. If the day before classes start you decide that you won't be attending the school anymore, then you will just lose your deposit money. Other than that, you are fine. Although, I would hope that you won't do that because there are thousands of people dying for one seat and you are "throwing it away" last minute. If you decided to not attend the school, at least give it some time before the begging of classes. This way you are giving the opportunity for someone to be pulled out of the waitlist in a timely manner.
Also, keep in mind your loans....if you sign your loans to go to a specific school and you already went through the whole paperwork, it will be hard to switch schools last minute.
Bottle line, plan ahead. If you are waiting for another school to give you a decision, don't wait until the LAST minute.

Withdrawing my seat here for the Knoxville campus, hope it goes to one of you here on the WL!

Reactions: 8 users
Gave up my seat today (Knoxville), and I hope it goes to one of you.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
A new spot in Harrogate just opened up for one of you. Good luck y'all.

Reactions: 5 users
Do yall think that we have to pay our second deposit by the end of today or the end of tm?