2020-2021 Lincoln Memorial University DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine (LMU-DCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Just withdrew my acceptance to Knoxville, hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 7 users
Waitlisted in October. Just got the call with acceptance an hour ago!

Reactions: 10 users
Waitlisted in February and got the call with an acceptance just over an hour ago!

Reactions: 11 users
To everyone that was pulled off the WL, did you send a letter of intent? Thank you.

Reactions: 1 user
I got an acceptance call from the waitlist! I am attending my in-state school, so I hope my seat here goes to one of you all!! :)

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! First-time poster! I got accepted to LMU-DCOM yesterday, and I have been super excited, and I am super grateful! But now I am spiraling and reading into reddit, and SDN and now I am truly worried that LMU-DCOM is the worst medical school in the US. WIll that really limit us in residency? Will it look bad for future work? Also just to say again I am super grateful for this acceptance, but I would honestly love any positive and negative info about the school from current or past students? Thanks everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
WIll that really limit us in residency? Will it look bad for future work?
it wouldn't look bad, but keep in mind they have an 80% match rate into primary care specialties (FM, IM, Peds), which is extremely high even for a DO school.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone! First-time poster! I got accepted to LMU-DCOM yesterday, and I have been super excited, and I am super grateful! But now I am spiraling and reading into reddit, and SDN and now I am truly worried that LMU-DCOM is the worst medical school in the US. WIll that really limit us in residency? Will it look bad for future work? Also just to say again I am super grateful for this acceptance, but I would honestly love any positive and negative info about the school from current or past students? Thanks everyone!
Don’t believe in everything you read on SDN. DCOM is a great school, if you go to their website you’ll see the COMLEX scores and the % match rate, which is fairly good. EVERYONE that I have spoken to in person (FACE TO FACE) only have good things to talk about the school. I have spoken to graduate students who are now doing their general surgery/ emergency medicine/ pediatrics/ internal medicine residency (yes, I spoke to that many DCOM graduates). All of them said great things about the school.
Again, DCOM has it’s problems like any other school would have, but nothing crazy like these people described here.
If you don’t believe what I just said, search for their graduates on social media, and ask them yourself!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
First year student here at DCOM harrogate . You can dm me if you have any specific questions. Honestly the school isn’t that bad . It has its issues yes but at the end of the day the goal is match which is what lmu does. And the fact that most people match into primary care fields isn’t all that surprising considering that LMU is a rural Do school. But even this year we had some pretty good matches that weren’t primary care. Is LMU the worse school in the world ... no . Is it the best ??? ... of course not. But I came here with a goal of becoming a doctor and LMU will help me achieve that goal.

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t believe in everything you read on SDN. DCOM is a great school, if you go to their website you’ll see the COMLEX scores and the % match rate, which is fairly good. EVERYONE that I have spoken to in person (FACE TO FACE) only have good things to talk about the school. I have spoken to graduate students who are now doing their general surgery/ emergency medicine/ pediatrics/ internal medicine residency (yes, I spoke to that many DCOM graduates). All of them said great things about the school.
Again, DCOM has it’s problems like any other school would have, but nothing crazy like these people described here.
If you don’t believe what I just said, search for their graduates on social media, and ask them yourself!!!
Thank you so much for your response!

First year student here at DCOM harrogate . You can dm me if you have any specific questions. Honestly the school isn’t that bad . It has its issues yes but at the end of the day the goal is match which is what lmu does. And the fact that most people match into primary care fields isn’t all that surprising considering that LMU is a rural Do school. But even this year we had some pretty good matches that weren’t primary care. Is LMU the worse school in the world ... no . Is it the best ??? ... of course not. But I came here with a goal of becoming a doctor and LMU will help me achieve that goal.
Thank you! I will def dm you thank you!

Every now and then I get messages from SDN and end up perusing this thread. I am also a first year student here in Harrogate and have seen a lot of negative posts on here about this school. Here is my advice; it is what you make of it. From my experience, the ones with the most negative things to say are the ones that are not doing well here. I know some of them personally. But the reality is I have not had many issues with the curriculum or how its presented. Some professors are not clear with what they expect you to know, but the overwhelming majority go out of their way to make sure you're set up for success. Review sessions, tutoring, marking high yield slides, you name it they do it because they want us to do well.

I read the same things you have before coming here and reached out to some alums/current students that I know and all of them had nice things to say about this place. Now I'm here and I can tell you for a fact they weren't wrong. I'm happy with my decision to come here. Like everyone else is saying, they have their issues just like every other school. But these issues have not hindered me from being successful. Always listen to both the positives and negatives you hear before making your judgement, just keep in mind that SDN is anonymous and those who have had mostly good experiences are less likely to spend their time on here. Unless you're like me and keep getting emails after not being active on here for over a year and being curious lol.

Please feel free to DM me as well! I'm always happy to share my experience both good and bad!

The number in primary care also includes OB/GYN and EM, for those interested in those. It does tend to wander between 60-80% for primary care.

The school’s emphasis on underserved (rural, Appalachia) primary care is definitely not one to be overlooked. Many of their matriculants go in with an interest in primary care. A good number want to return to their small towns (Appalachia or not) and practice because they see the need. Like pretty much all DO programs, you’re fighting a steeper uphill to the more competitive specialties and programs. If you’re looking for that, you’ve got to work harder for it. But they do match competitive specialties every year, and their match lists (including this year’s) are all posted on their website. In the last couple of years graduates have matched ortho, radiology, derm, anesthesiology, gen surgery, etc etc.

Every now and then I get messages from SDN and end up perusing this thread. I am also a first year student here in Harrogate and have seen a lot of negative posts on here about this school. Here is my advice; it is what you make of it. From my experience, the ones with the most negative things to say are the ones that are not doing well here. I know some of them personally. But the reality is I have not had many issues with the curriculum or how its presented. Some professors are not clear with what they expect you to know, but the overwhelming majority go out of their way to make sure you're set up for success. Review sessions, tutoring, marking high yield slides, you name it they do it because they want us to do well.

I read the same things you have before coming here and reached out to some alums/current students that I know and all of them had nice things to say about this place. Now I'm here and I can tell you for a fact they weren't wrong. I'm happy with my decision to come here. Like everyone else is saying, they have their issues just like every other school. But these issues have not hindered me from being successful. Always listen to both the positives and negatives you hear before making your judgement, just keep in mind that SDN is anonymous and those who have had mostly good experiences are less likely to spend their time on here. Unless you're like me and keep getting emails after not being active on here for over a year and being curious lol.

Please feel free to DM me as well! I'm always happy to share my experience both good and bad!
Thank you so much for your response!

Does anyone know how many people are on the waitlist this year? Seems like there's been some movement and the rest of us should be hearing more in the coming weeks.

Has any pervious students taken the anatomy boot camp? I never took anatomy in undergrad and I am considering it.

Got the acceptance to Harrogate last week!
Applied in July, interviewed and waitlisted in Feb.
Out of state student, 3.64 GPA, 498 MCAT, EMT & ER nurse tech (3000 clinical hours), no research

Reactions: 5 users
I applied and interviewed for the Knoxville campus but my decision letter said that I was offered a position for the Harrogate campus. Has that happened for anyone else? I don’t know if that’s a mistake or if the committee thinks Harrogate is a better fit for me.

I applied and interviewed for the Knoxville campus but my decision letter said that I was offered a position for the Harrogate campus. Has that happened for anyone else? I don’t know if that’s a mistake or if the committee thinks Harrogate is a better fit for me.
I can't say with 100% certainty but probably means there are no open seats left at the Knoxville campus

Has any pervious students taken the anatomy boot camp? I never took anatomy in undergrad and I am considering it.
I didn't do the anatomy boot camp, but I can say with absolute certainty that if you've never had a single anatomy course before, you will benefit from it. Most students struggle with it because going from nothing to literally everything is intense. It is one of the hardest courses you will take first semester.

I believe this year the interview was for either campus unlike years past. There are more seats available at Harrogate so if Knoxville is full and they offer you an admissions offer it is usually for the Harrogate campus. I believe they also say they do their best to keep location preference in mind but can pick for you if needed.

Hello! I am wondering if there's anywhere I can see the concrete data on attrition? I know there's a lot of personal accounts from students but I didn't know if there was somewhere I could see the data on this?

Hello! I am wondering if there's anywhere I can see the concrete data on attrition? I know there's a lot of personal accounts from students but I didn't know if there was somewhere I could see the data on this?
I don’t think any medical school publishes detailed data on attrition. Some publish graduation rates, but usually they are six-year graduation rates.

AACOM published a special report on attrition that looked withdrawal/dismissal/leave of absence at each COM (anonymized) from 2014-2019. It showed an average attrition rate of ~12% over four years across COMs.

The closest you can probably get is pulling their total # of matriculants from AACOM’s yearly applicant & matriculant reports, and compare it to the graduation rates that LMU posts on their outcomes website.

Ie; AACOM shows that 241 students matriculated to DCOM in 2014, and LMU-DCOM reported that they had 215 eligible graduates in 2018. For the following year, 230 graduate in 2019 for 238 matriculants in 2015.

That still isn’t perfect, it doesn’t tell you whether students failed, repeated a year, joined the class from a previous year, took a leave of absence, stayed an extra year to be a scholar, etc., it tells you only that they had X fewer students graduate than they had enter four years earlier. Don’t trust my logic or math, but a quick calculation with that method shows a 4-year graduation rate at about ~89.5-90% for the years that DCOM has posted now (class of ‘16-‘20).

Is there an accepted students GroupMe? I was accepted back in October but never got an invite to a GroupMe. I'm on the facebook page already :)

Accepted off the waitlist last week for Harrogate! MCAT 509 GPA 3.97. Looking to switch to Knox if a spot opens up though!

got in today!! looking forward to harrogate anybody find a house around there?

I will be withdrawing my seat from Harrogate later today. I hope it goes to one of you!

Reactions: 3 users