2020-2021 Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MU-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think this is very unique to Marian. I asked every other school I interviewed with (2 DO and 1 MD) and all of them said we would be responsible for our housing while on clinical rotations. Marian tries to keep all of your rotations within 60 mi, which is quite easy because of its location. I assume there would be very few rotations outside the 60 mi mark.
How do students find housing 4-8 weeks at a time for other DO schools? Do they just crash with a resident or do the rotations have housing setup? Do the students have to pay double rent in some instances?

I guess that's where I'm confused, thanks for anyone's help, I appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Just to update anyone else who was placed on a pre-II hold too. I was on Jan 6th and got an II today. So don't lose hope if you are placed on the pre-II hold!!!
Congrats!!!

When were you complete?

Congrats!!!

When were you complete?
I submitted my secondary on 8/24 but I wasn't marked complete until the middle of December. Then placed on hold at the beginning of January, and the II was sent on Jan 15th. The interview isn't until 3/26

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh jeez, idk anymore haha because what you're saying would make sense... Hopefully someone else in the thread can shed a lil more light
current 4th year here. So basically, any rotation you're placed on, meaning one that the school set up, there will be housing provided in both 3rd and 4th year if it is >60 miles from school. The housing can range from pretty sketchy (janky old houses with mouse traps etc) to normal apartments, to hotels. I got lucky and only had 1 away rotation and was put up in the janky old house I mentioned lol. But it was about a 1 hour commute and the doc only worked 3x a week so I commuted unless there was a snowstorm predicted. So unless you choose to pick somewhere far away, the school provides it at no additional cost to you and no extra work is required.

current 4th year here. So basically, any rotation you're placed on, meaning one that the school set up, there will be housing provided in both 3rd and 4th year if it is >60 miles from school. The housing can range from pretty sketchy (janky old houses with mouse traps etc) to normal apartments, to hotels. I got lucky and only had 1 away rotation and was put up in the janky old house I mentioned lol. But it was about a 1 hour commute and the doc only worked 3x a week so I commuted unless there was a snowstorm predicted. So unless you choose to pick somewhere far away, the school provides it at no additional cost to you and no extra work is required.
Thank you for answering my question! I was actually just accepted yesterday so your response is well-timed.

That seems like a huge advantage to going to the school, it seems like most other schools don't promise that, you have to find housing yourself.

So your core clerkships can be at a variety of hospitals, you aren't assigned a single spot for your entire 3rd year, is that right?

I was recently accepted here, but it says that I am missing a pre-req English class. I already graduated but I guess I can sign up as a guest and take one more class. Do y’all think I will still have time to take it? I’m a bit worried!
My prereqs are incorrect too, for classes that I definitely took. I wouldn't sign up for anything especially if you know you already did it. I think its a matter of reaching out and setting the classes straight. I'm assuming it has to do with course descriptions or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
My prereqs are incorrect too, for classes that I definitely took. I wouldn't sign up for anything especially if you know you already did it. I think its a matter of reaching out and setting the classes straight. I'm assuming it has to do with course descriptions or something like that.
Thank you!! ❤️

pre-ii rejection, kinda scratching my head at it, but it is what it is, good luck to y’all lot of time left in the cycle!

pre-ii rejection, kinda scratching my head at it, but it is what it is, good luck to y’all lot of time left in the cycle!
Rip my friend.

can you tell us when you were complete and stats?

II today! Complete on 1/3. IS, LM 67

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for answering my question! I was actually just accepted yesterday so your response is well-timed.

That seems like a huge advantage to going to the school, it seems like most other schools don't promise that, you have to find housing yourself.

So your core clerkships can be at a variety of hospitals, you aren't assigned a single spot for your entire 3rd year, is that right?
yes! they can be all over the place, you dont have a "base hospital"

Members don't see this ad :)
yes! they can be all over the place, you dont have a "base hospital"
What is your favorite thing about the school? What pushed you to decide for Marian? If you don't mind me asking.

I am going to have to make a decision eventually and trying to get as many perspectives as possible.

Thank you!

What is your favorite thing about the school? What pushed you to decide for Marian? If you don't mind me asking.

I am going to have to make a decision eventually and trying to get as many perspectives as possible.

Thank you!
I liked that it was a DO school that had the small university feel so you could focus and study when you needed to, but was 15 minutes from a big downtown for when you wanted to go out and relax! on interview day the school was very supportive and you could tell that the general atmosphere was just chill and not cut throat. i thought the education they provided us with was great and prepared me for boards. they also handled the covid situation pretty well...they looked out for us a lot and worked out a lot of different options for us in regards to celebrating match day etc.

Received II on 12/31 and had it scheduled for 3/14 but will be declining. OOS, ORM, LM65. Hope it goes to one of you guys! Good Luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey all! I have an interview coming up with Marian and I was hoping to get some more info on other's interview experience. I know it's one 30 min interview but does anyone know if it is open or closed file?

Hey all! I have an interview coming up with Marian and I was hoping to get some more info on other's interview experience. I know it's one 30 min interview but does anyone know if it is open or closed file?
Hey! Hope you're doing well.
It's closed file, I think they said all they know is your name and the school you went to (or currently attending) for undergrad. My experience with MUCOM's interview was relaxed and more conversational, no questions that were totally out there. Hope that helps. Wish you the best!

Does anyone know if this school allows you to rotate in michigan? On the website it mentions they are partners with Michigan State University and how they have a statewide campus system. Was just wondering if its possible to spend third and fourth year rotations in michigan?

Does anyone know if this school allows you to rotate in michigan? On the website it mentions they are partners with Michigan State University and how they have a statewide campus system. Was just wondering if its possible to spend third and fourth year rotations in michigan?
I tried to rotate in michigan and reached out to a couple places, not msu though, and they said they only take their base students for 3rd year core rotations. i think that will be the case for msu as well. we are affiliated with lots of different hospitals across the country but what that means is that there have been agreements set up with them so if you found a preceptor to take you, it would be quicker and faster to get the paperwork going. mucom doesn't send students there though and i really haven't heard of anyone doing all of their rotations there. like i said, typically reserved for their students and affiliated schools like a caribbean school etc.

Received the completion email today. However I have been complete on my end since late Aug :(

How long did it take to hear back after receiving the completion email?

Received the completion email today. However I have been complete on my end since late Aug :(

How long did it take to hear back after receiving the completion email?
Same I submitted all the required documents in late August and received the completion email couple of minutes ago

Got the complete email even though I thought I was complete months before. It hurt that the email started with "we are pleased to inform you.." and it wasn't an interview invite. lol, not expecting to get an II from here but that hurt a little

Got the complete email even though I thought I was complete months before. It hurt that the email started with "we are pleased to inform you.." and it wasn't an interview invite. lol, not expecting to get an II from here but that hurt a little
Still have not gotten a complete email and my portal showed completion of all my paperwork, etc. in like October haha

Interview invite today, but i will be declining it. Hope it goes to someone on this thread! Complete 9/8 OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Got an email saying my application was complete on 2/22 and then got the interview invite the next day. Any advice for the interview?

Uhhh I just got a secondary from this school out of the blue. Should I even do it at this point haha?
It sounds like you’re rather indifferent about the chance to advance your application standing. I’d say, given the lack of enthusiasm, you should pass. Save the money and time.

I never received a secondary (not in my inbox nor trash) but 2 days ago I received a reminder to submit my secondary. I’m wondering if it would even be worth completing this late in the cycle. Any thoughts? Im considered OOS but I was born and raised in Indiana. No direct ties though.

Does anyone know how full the class is? I am interviewing at the end of March (26th) and I'm worried that the class may already be very full and I'll just get stuck with a waitlist no matter how well I perform during the interview

Does anyone know how full the class is? I am interviewing at the end of March (26th) and I'm worried that the class may already be very full and I'll just get stuck with a waitlist no matter how well I perform during the interview
i am wondering how full the class is also. I did see earlier on this thread that someone got an ii and said the dates available were in late april... so i assume if they are interviewing people that late then the class must not be full yet? But I really have no idea.

i am wondering how full the class is also. I did see earlier on this thread that someone got an ii and said the dates available were in late april... so i assume if they are interviewing people that late then the class must not be full yet? But I really have no idea.
There's 68 people in the Facebook group for MUCOM Class of 2025 for what that's worth. Keep in mind obviously that this isn't completely reflective because not all accepted students join the FB group. Good luck with your interviews!

Does anyone know if there's a group chat or something for accepted students other than the class of 2025 facebook group?

Does anyone know if there's a group chat or something for accepted students other than the class of 2025 facebook group?
There's a group me! You can join here :)

Reactions: 1 users
Just got accepted! Interviewed 2/26!
Congrats! Did they happen to say how full their class is getting during your interview? My interview is on 3/26 and worried by that time I'll just be waitlisted no matter how well the interview goes

Congrats! Did they happen to say how full their class is getting during your interview? My interview is on 3/26 and worried by that time I'll just be waitlisted no matter how well the interview goes
Hey I’m sorry they did not mention seat availability. They said that may 1st is the deadline for the second deposit so they have a lot of movement on the waitlist on the 2nd if that were to be an issue. They are interviewing through April so I would be hopeful that they will still be offering outright acceptances.

Hey I’m sorry they did not mention seat availability. They said that may 1st is the deadline for the second deposit so they have a lot of movement on the waitlist on the 2nd if that were to be an issue. They are interviewing through April so I would be hopeful that they will still be offering outright acceptances.
That is definitely reassuring. Thank you very much and congrats again!

Placed on the alternate list today. Interviewed on 2/26. Email says the admissions committee ”views the alternate list as a group of applicants who have a very real likelihood to gain admission.” So that’s cool I guess lol!

Placed on the alternate list today. Interviewed on 2/26. Email says the admissions committee ”views the alternate list as a group of applicants who have a very real likelihood to gain admission.” So that’s cool I guess lol!
+1.... i really hope we get pulled off. Fingers crossed!!

Interview invite today! I’m surprised and nervous. Also shocked because I thought the cycle was over. Please send some advice

edit: applied september
Just saw that I was complete 2/22 I thought I was complete since September lol.

Last edited:
Interview invite today! I’m surprised and nervous. Also shocked because I thought the cycle was over. Please send some advice

edit: applied september
Just saw that I was complete 2/22 I thought I was complete since September lol.
Do you mind sharing your stats? OOS or IS? URM?