2022-2023 Florida State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @xxxyyyzzzaaabbbccc for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 Florida State Secondary Essay Prompts (500 word limit each)

1. Please provide a description of your family. (Optional)

2. Please provide a description of where you grew up (i.e. rural area, large city, etc.) (Optional)

3. Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.). (Optional)

4. What is a unique trait, experience, or interest that we would not normally learn about you? (Optional)

5. If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you are comfortable voluntarily sharing with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. (Optional)

6. Why are you choosing to apply to the FSU College of Medicine? Please be specific describing what is particularly attractive about FSU COM.

7. What do you feel are your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine? (Optional)

8. How do you feel you will contribute to the success of the FSU College of Medicine and our unique mission? (Optional)

9. If you have previously interviewed or applied to the College of Medicine, what steps have you taken to improve your application? (Optional)

10. In what field/specialty of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? Please list no more than three (3) specialties.

11. Write a short statement describing how you envision using the specialty/ies you listed above to advance our mission.

12. COVID-19: The Admissions Committee understands that the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted applicants in various ways. If you wish to inform the committee as to how these events have affected you and have not already done so elsewhere in your application, please use this space to do so. (Optional)

13. If FL has previously been your state of residence but it is not your current state of residence, explain (Optional)

14. If you were never a FL resident, explain ties to FL (Optional)

15. Criminal/academic discipline question (Optional)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:
Florida State University College of Medicine Interview Feedback

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IS secondary received @wysdoc

500 words for all

Please provide a description of your family. (Optional)

Please provide a description of where you grew up (i.e. rural area, large city, etc.) (Optional)

Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.). (Optional)

What is a unique trait, experience, or interest that we would not normally learn about you? (Optional)

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you are comfortable voluntarily sharing with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. (Optional)

Why are you choosing to apply to the FSU College of Medicine? Please be specific describing what is particularly attractive about FSU COM.

What do you feel are your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine? (Optional)

How do you feel you will contribute to the success of the FSU College of Medicine and our unique mission? (Optional)

If you have previously interviewed or applied to the College of Medicine, what steps have you taken to improve your application? (Optional)

In what field/specialty of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? Please list no more than three (3) specialties.

Write a short statement describing how you envision using the specialty/ies you listed above to advance our mission.

COVID-19: The Admissions Committee understands that the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted applicants in various ways. If you wish to inform the committee as to how these events have affected you and have not already done so elsewhere in your application, please use this space to do so. (Optional)

If FL has previously been your state of residence but it is not your current state of residence, explain (Optional)

If you were never a FL resident, explain ties to FL (Optional)

Criminal/academic discipline question (Optional)

Reactions: 1 user
IS secondary received @wysdoc

500 words for all

Please provide a description of your family. (Optional)

Please provide a description of where you grew up (i.e. rural area, large city, etc.) (Optional)

Indicate what you do for fun and diversion (hobbies, special interests, etc.). (Optional)

What is a unique trait, experience, or interest that we would not normally learn about you? (Optional)

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you are comfortable voluntarily sharing with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Many applicants will not need to answer this question. Examples might include significant challenges in access to education, unusual socioeconomic factors, identification with a minority culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. (Optional)

Why are you choosing to apply to the FSU College of Medicine? Please be specific describing what is particularly attractive about FSU COM.

What do you feel are your personal and scholastic qualifications for the study of medicine? (Optional)

How do you feel you will contribute to the success of the FSU College of Medicine and our unique mission? (Optional)

If you have previously interviewed or applied to the College of Medicine, what steps have you taken to improve your application? (Optional)

In what field/specialty of medicine do you envision yourself working ten years from now? Please list no more than three (3) specialties.

Write a short statement describing how you envision using the specialty/ies you listed above to advance our mission.

COVID-19: The Admissions Committee understands that the COVID-19 pandemic has impacted applicants in various ways. If you wish to inform the committee as to how these events have affected you and have not already done so elsewhere in your application, please use this space to do so. (Optional)

If FL has previously been your state of residence but it is not your current state of residence, explain (Optional)

If you were never a FL resident, explain ties to FL (Optional)

Criminal/academic discipline question (Optional)
I'm tired of these FL secondaries man.
GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone get the payment email yet?

I got one saying fee waiver was applied basically

oof it has been more than 5 days. Im gonna call them
I would give them 7 days minimum before calling them. I think they even said that in their email regarding how long they anticipate sending out a payment notification email or fee waiver email (if you apply to the fee assistant thing).

I would give them 7 days minimum before calling them. I think they even said that in their email regarding how long they anticipate sending out a payment notification email or fee waiver email (if you apply to the fee assistant thing).
I think it has been 7 days exactly, I'll call next week :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Early Decision Here... Received Secondary and Received Confirmation Email yesterday...

IS RD Submitted secondary 7/15 and got complete/ review email today 7/28.

Anyone get an email from FSU about licensing today? I'm assuming it's a mistake...

I got that last week or two weeks ago, it must be an email to let people know about the various changes medical schools are experiencing or at least to address the issues lately with a few schools having probation or whatnot.

I got that last week or two weeks ago, it must be an email to let people know about the various changes medical schools are experiencing or at least to address the issues lately with a few schools having probation or whatnot.
What is the issue with FSU tho? Are they having licensing issues?

What is the issue with FSU tho? Are they having licensing issues?
nothing wrong with FSU in particular, they just want to make sure students are aware that the licensure must be different in the State of Florida vs other states.

Reactions: 1 users
Can you please share the email?

Does anyone know how OOS friendly FSU is?
Like not at all. Unless you have very strong ties to Florida, it’s not looking good I’m afraid.
Yeah, FSU is very IS heavy. They have a specific mission to meet the demands of rural physicians in the State of Florida. However, if you have a strong desire to be a primary care physician or rural physician, then they can consider OOS applicants. But overall, they just want more people who live in Florida and already have the feel for the Florida State's population lol. I am IS and it is very unique compared to many other states, although some states are more rural than Florida haha

You should have received an email for invitation to complete the secondary if you're ED and all of your primary material is submitted. I received a secondary email the same day as my MCAT score uploaded into AMCAS. Double check all of your emails
He was talking about an II = interview invite.

I imagine II’s will come out following the ED deadline Monday. ED II’s will come out Probably the end of next week fingers crossed. Anyone else here ED? (Early Decision)

Reactions: 1 users
I imagine II’s will come out following the ED deadline Monday. ED II’s will come out Probably the end of next week fingers crossed. Anyone else here ED? (Early Decision)
I wonder how many applied ED last cycle. I know a MS2 at FSU COM and he said it was something in the 20s. Seemed low

I wonder how many applied ED last cycle. I know a MS2 at FSU COM and he said it was something in the 20s. Seemed low
I have the MSAR. It was 21 in 2021-2022 cycle ED Applicants. My guess is that this trend will continue into 2022-2023. 235 in total were interviewed. There are 13 current bridge students so my guess is that there are 107 seats in the upcoming class for the entire pool of applicants.

ED, in-state. Anyone else nervous about still waiting for application payment today on the ED deadline date?

ED, in-state. Anyone else nervous about still waiting for application payment today on the ED deadline date?
Wouldn't be nervous, their website specifically says August 22 11:59 pm is "Deadline for Early Decision applicants to submit all secondary materials". Not for payment. As long as you have the confirmation email from the COM that your secondary has been received you should be good. I'm still waiting on the payment email, but I'm not worried

Wouldn't be nervous, their website specifically says August 22 11:59 pm is "Deadline for Early Decision applicants to submit all secondary materials". Not for payment. As long as you have the confirmation email from the COM that your secondary has been received you should be good. I'm still waiting on the payment email, but I'm not worried
Im nervous too because I just saw the email sent out last week that the deadline includes having the payment made by August 22 11:59 pm.

Im nervous too because I just saw the email sent out last week that the deadline includes having the payment made by August 22 11:59 pm.
I just reread my email and saw that line. Now I am sufficiently nervous lol. Sent the office of admissions and email, I’ll post and hear what they reply. Hoping for the best for all of us early decision applicants

“Good morning FSU College of Medicine Early Decision Applicants,

We understand that many of you are still awaiting the necessary information to complete the payment. This email serves as your official notification of the deadline extension or "grace period" for the $30 application fee. You have until midnight on Sunday, August, 28th to complete the payment and still be considered for Early Decision. If you participate in the FAP, your waiver will automatically be applied; this notification will also come in an email.

Please remember to check your spam folder in the next couple of days for the email. We will reach out again with any appropriate updates.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions

FSU College of Medicine”

Got this at 9:40. Good thing lol

“Good morning FSU College of Medicine Early Decision Applicants,

We understand that many of you are still awaiting the necessary information to complete the payment. This email serves as your official notification of the deadline extension or "grace period" for the $30 application fee. You have until midnight on Sunday, August, 28th to complete the payment and still be considered for Early Decision. If you participate in the FAP, your waiver will automatically be applied; this notification will also come in an email.

Please remember to check your spam folder in the next couple of days for the email. We will reach out again with any appropriate updates.

Sincerely,

Office of Admissions

FSU College of Medicine”

Got this at 9:40. Good thing lol
Anybody else get this email? Or only you?

Just received payment email. Hope the same for the rest of the pending ED applicants

Is FSU not requiring/ asking for a photo with secondary submission? My laptop was being glitchy when I submitted, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss it.

When I submitted, there was no place to insert a photo. I was marked as complete a while ago.

Did anyone else still not get the email to pay?