2022-2023 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Elmira, NY)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got AL in the mail.

2/3 session

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Portal update. Says I'll receive smtg in the mail within 14 days. Hope the WL letter looks pretty.

Interviewed 2/3.
The letter was alright, it was in color which was nice. You can also see the decision they made through the letter with decent light lol

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like the post II acceptance rate is a lot higher for in state applicants at the Erie campus. Does anyone know if this holds true for the Elmira campus as well (Is the post-II acceptance higher for New York applicants)?

Did anyone from the waitlist get A this week or last week?

Got an email. They said they haven’t received a waitlist form. I never got anything besides the 30 day notice on portal. Is the form online? I’m out of town for work at the moment, but coming back today. Going to try and call admissions but was wondering if you guys know if the form is online as well?

They said it’s due today! Talk about stress inducing.

Got an email. They said they haven’t received a waitlist form. I never got anything besides the 30 day notice on portal. Is the form online? I’m out of town for work at the moment, but coming back today. Going to try and call admissions but was wondering if you guys know if the form is online as well?

They said it’s due today! Talk about stress inducing.

Edit: They were able to accept the email I sent back to them as confirmation. Thank god.

2/3 session.

2/24 session, 30-day notice on 3/22, got a cool WL letter in the mail on 3/25
Just received a call from Elmira asking if I'd be able to pay 2k within a week if they were to extend an offer. They said they'd keep my decision in mind when they review WLs in the coming days. Anyone else get the call?

2/24 session, 30-day notice on 3/22, got a cool WL letter in the mail on 3/25
Just received a call from Elmira asking if I'd be able to pay 2k within a week if they were to extend an offer. They said they'd keep my decision in mind when they review WLs in the coming days. Anyone else get the call?
ditto

That is great for you both! Any chance you'd share your stats? I'm trying to figure how far down this waitlist I am. I'm guessing pretty far. :cryi:
i'm a low-stat applicant but i suppose i got the geographic advantage. also consider how your interview video was received. all that to say, it's impossible to gauge who's high or low on the WL based on stats alone

Reactions: 1 users
i'm a low-stat applicant but i suppose i got the geographic advantage. also consider how your interview video was received. all that to say, it's impossible to gauge who's high or low on the WL based on stats alone
That is so fortunate that you live in the state. Yay! Hope you get that A soon!

I'm at a geographic disadvantage as all the schools in my state require much higher LM scores which forced me to apply OOS. Right now, for us OOS applicants, LM score of 64 is the lowest I've seen this cycle, at least for the schools I stalk on sdn. If anyone else gets accepted with a lower LM please post to give the rest of us hope. 🙏

Members don't see this ad :)
That is great for you both! Any chance you'd share your stats? I'm trying to figure how far down this waitlist I am. I'm guessing pretty far. :cryi:
I'm a low-stat applicant as well (LM: 63), but I have plentiful experiences (6000+ hrs clinical / 5000+ hrs nonclinical) that I feel helped me stand out. NY resident, first-gen highschool, low-income, application centralized on a specific social determinant of health, on my 2nd/3rd gap year, marked complete late January, and felt semi-confident about my interview video - if that helps.

Last edited:
I'm a low-stat applicant as well (LM: 63), but I have plentiful experiences (6000+ hrs clinical / 5000+ hrs nonclinical) that I feel helped me stand out. NY resident, first-gen highschool, low-income, application centralized on a specific social determinant of health, on my 2nd/3rd gap year, marked complete late January, and felt semi-confident about my interview video - if that helps.
Oh wow! You deserve to be on the top of the 63 LM pile. Your extras are outstanding. Thanks for sharing!

So I interviewed 12/9 and haven't heard anything. I just got a phone call from them asking if I still want to be considered and I said yes and they said it would go to committee review on Wednesday. I asked if there was any particular reason for the hold up and they said they've been very short staffed. Has anyone else had a similar experience? I'm trying not to get my hopes up because it seems unlikely to get accepted this late if they haven't reviewed it yet.

Is there an A Group Me for Elmira?

A, pulled off WL

Got the A earlier this morning! Pulled off the waitlist as well

Congrats on your As! You were all in the WL right? not AL?
Thank you. I am not sure about this whole WL/AL distinguishing. I saw the word WL for me and I was put on it back around late fall.

Did anyone who received an email about LECOM'S MMS session while waiting for their decision receive an acceptance later?

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy for everyone getting accepted off the waitlist! I just am confused why I had my info session 3/3 and have heard nothing since and they are pulling off the waitlist when I haven't yet heard back from my interview?? Haven't even had portal update.

Don't get me wrong, I'm super happy for everyone getting accepted off the waitlist! I just am confused why I had my info session 3/3 and have heard nothing since and they are pulling off the waitlist when I haven't yet heard back from my interview?? Haven't even had portal update.
had my info session on 2/17 and haven't heard anything either and no portal change.

Hey guys! I also am elated for anyone who has gotten in haha but I am apart of the confused group. I interviewed and had my info session on 2/10 and haven’t heard ANYTHING since then. No portal update or emails or physical mail. All my required letters and pre-recs were even put in before my info session started cuz I checked then so they’ve had that for a long time too.

I really don’t understand and it’s very disappointing because I have to make decisions on applying to the Caribbean or waiting for the next cycle to happen since this is the only school I have to hear back from still.

I called spoke to Suzanne. She told me they just finished their interview cycle and are finishing sending/making sure Erie has everything for the files cuz that’s where they make our decision. She also said that they (at Elmira) apparently just make recommendations to the admissions committee on who they want but have no real say. The only person who can override the decisions made is I believe she said the Provost so I really don’t know what to make of it. I also got told by her 60-90 days is the general timeline for people hearing back so maybe the people who heard really quick have just amazing resumes and stats.

Let me know what you guys think about the info I got from them at Elmira! I hope we all hear soon
pls don't go to the carribean!! take your shot to reapply!

Hey guys! I also am elated for anyone who has gotten in haha but I am apart of the confused group. I interviewed and had my info session on 2/10 and haven’t heard ANYTHING since then. No portal update or emails or physical mail. All my required letters and pre-recs were even put in before my info session started cuz I checked then so they’ve had that for a long time too.

I really don’t understand and it’s very disappointing because I have to make decisions on applying to the Caribbean or waiting for the next cycle to happen since this is the only school I have to hear back from still.

I called spoke to Suzanne. She told me they just finished their interview cycle and are finishing sending/making sure Erie has everything for the files cuz that’s where they make our decision. She also said that they (at Elmira) apparently just make recommendations to the admissions committee on who they want but have no real say. The only person who can override the decisions made is I believe she said the Provost so I really don’t know what to make of it. I also got told by her 60-90 days is the general timeline for people hearing back so maybe the people who heard really quick have just amazing resumes and stats.

Let me know what you guys think about the info I got from them at Elmira! I hope we all hear soon
would calling them get anyone anywhere?

😭😭 trust me I want to stay in the US so badly but I would probably have so many regrets pushing off medical school for a year, especially since if I do wait for the next cycle I’ll have to retake my MCAT since my score is what kills my application (and if I don’t do better the Caribbean is prob my only option sadly). If you have any advice/comments on this let me know! I am very against a masters program (I really can’t afford much more debt before medical school) and I really don’t want to do a full gap year cuz I finished my bachelors early so I’ll just have a weird 4-5 month gap that I just worked for (at a hospital of course) since I didn’t have a Spring semester for my senior year of college (Fall 2022 instead of May 2023)
whats your MCAT?

😭😭 trust me I want to stay in the US so badly but I would probably have so many regrets pushing off medical school for a year, especially since if I do wait for the next cycle I’ll have to retake my MCAT since my score is what kills my application (and if I don’t do better the Caribbean is prob my only option sadly). If you have any advice/comments on this let me know! I am very against a masters program (I really can’t afford much more debt before medical school) and I really don’t want to do a full gap year cuz I finished my bachelors early so I’ll just have a weird 4-5 month gap that I just worked for (at a hospital of course) since I didn’t have a Spring semester for my senior year of college (Fall 2022 instead of May 2023)
I'm sorry to hear it! I will say, it is possible that the spring interviews were for the waitlist to begin with. but i'll add in that even back in the fall, the school took way longer than the given estimate time to give a decision and i had applied early decision and i feel it was the case with many applicants.

some schools still pull from waitlist until June/July so keep hope up.

i would also echo to not do the carib route. if you're a traditional college student straight from high school, then you are still young and you can give it another shot before considering other alternatives.

Half this thread is gonna laugh at me for even trying to apply with this MCAT but I come from an area where education is NOT top tier. Unfortunately I stand at a 497 but my GPA was pretty good with a 3.65 science GPA and a 3.7 overall GPA. I could go into my whole resume which is where I flex my real qualifications besides school but sadly I feel like my mass of 1000+ clinical hours of bedside patient care or all the lab work I did in college barely matter cuz of that stain of a score.
DM me if you need, I had a 496 and 498 MCAT and received 6 DO II and an A (one still pending) and would love to help!

Please don’t roast me over this decision btw lol!! I am very much a might as well try person rather than a sit back and wait (if you can’t tell by my posts) 🤣
This was my 4th time apply to medical schools, and after all this time and 5 MCATs later (ended with 504), I'm in an American school. Graduated 2019

There were times I questioned my life choices, if medicine even wanted me. A lot of dark nights and seeing everyone in my I know move on destroyed me.

Don't let family pressure tell you to go carribean cuz they want you to become a doctor asap.

Everyone has there own pace on their journey, and there are factors we can't control.

But if you preserve and make it, you one will be one of the best cuz you showed resilience.

Reactions: 3 users
Please don’t roast me over this decision btw lol!! I am very much a might as well try person rather than a sit back and wait (if you can’t tell by my posts) 🤣
no roasting at all here.

Sometimes the best course of action is to "sit back and wait" and see when the right time is to strike so to speak. and of course, you'd be actively improving your app whether it be with a mcat retake or whatever is needed.

i had a roommate and a coworker. each went to a carib school (both went to Big 4 for reference). they both matched thankfully but a big fraction of their cohort either failed out of school or didn't match. they both would not recommend the route. it's not impossible but it's immensely more difficult. you're young and an adult. don't rush the process. many people reapply for things like grad school, law school, etc, it's just a part of the game. just my unrequested advice is all lol

I love ALL the advice anyone can give.

I also have that mindset with sitting and waiting sometimes! I certainly need to be proactive with my application strengthening though hehe.

On your point about the MCAT retake being a way to strengthen my application, do you think that schools would really accept that as a true reason for a full gap year?? Im afraid that if I don’t do a masters or something while trying to get my MCAT up again that it’ll be looked at poorly instead of positively especially if I just jump up into the 500+ range since that wouldn’t be considered a “significant” increase by schools.

I basically have 0 plan besides working as a PCT as of right now and maybe getting some more medical certifications through my work and retaking the MCAT which is a big reason I’m so nervous over a gap year.
working as a PCT while doing mcat prep is totally ok. you've done the application round already so you can testify that nobody is asking how long you've studied for the mcat or what else you were doing alongside prepping. you just need a score to beat the competition. again, just part of the game.

@Pre-Med-PCT

Hey there;

You should give this a read if you’re thinking of going to an international medical school. Some of the most compassionate and prestigious physicians trained in Europe, Mexico, Grenada - you name it.

My only piece of advice is to be kind to yourself. This may mean clearing the old schedule and going for a walk. It might also mean taking two to three years OFF before studying for the MCAT and successfully reapplying to a T20. Yes. But if I’ve learned anything, it pays to be kind TO YOURSELF above anyone else. This system does not encourage such a virtue, but you will look back on this process and regret not being kinder to those who matter. Patients. Family. But most of all, you. Promise.

I am a traditional college student straight from high school! I graduated early (Fall 2022 instead of May 2023). I always have had my doubts about the Carib route but it’s so hard cuz ppl say don’t do it and doctors who work at my hospital are like do it we loved it (and now they’re residents at my dream job lol!!). Such a toss up cuz I know I have time but I am sooo uninterested in Masters programs which seem like my only option if I wait. Any advice on what I could do besides a Masters, especially since I really would have to retake MCAT if I do reapply next cycle
I did an accelerated nursing program because I did not want to do a Master's just to have more debt and no job. Still haven't gotten into med school but in the meantime I can make and save a lot of money and get a ton of hands on clinical knowledge. And if I never get in, at least I have a career that pays well, has tons of options, and is in the field I am interested in even if it's not what I planned on. I've learned so much being a nurse and honestly, looking back, I'm glad things worked out the way it did so that I got the chance to do it

Last edited:
I sent an update letter to them through the link they send after the info session but never got confirmation that it was received... should I email them as well or just let it be?

Haven't heard a thing since the 2/17 info session. Not even a portal update. Anyone else?

I received a phone call today from someone in admissions. I haven't called them back yet but did anyone else receive one? It was a very vague VM, basically just telling me to call them back. Do you think it could be regarding an A off the alternate list?