2022-2023 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you @FarmHand for sharing the questions!

2022-2023 Texas Tech El Paso (Foster) Secondary Essay Prompts: (unchanged from last year)

1. The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and region.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

2. The Foster SOM student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

3. Please describe any unique personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. (300 words or less)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Below are the prompts.

The mission of the Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso Paul L. Foster School of Medicine is to provide an outstanding education and development opportunities for a diverse group of students, residents, faculty, and staff; advance knowledge through innovation and research; and serve the needs of our socially and culturally diverse communities and region.” Recognizing the components of this mission and that PLFSOM is located on the US/Mexico border, please describe why you are interested in applying to our school. (300 words or less)

The Foster SOM student honor code states “In my capacity as a Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center El Paso School of Medicine medical student, I will uphold the dignity of the medical profession. I will, to the best of my ability, avoid actions which might result in harm to my patients. I will protect the dignity of my patients and the deceased and will protect their confidential information in accordance with the prevailing standards of medical practice. I will not lie, cheat, or steal. I will enter into professional relationships with my colleagues, teachers, and other health care professionals in a manner that is respectful and reflective of the high standards and expectations of my profession. I will not tolerate violations of this Code by others and will report such violations to the appropriate authorities.” Please describe past experiences or personal attributes that reflect your affinity with this honor code. (300 words or less)

Please describe any unique personal experiences or disadvantage (educational, financial or otherwise) and their significance to you in your pursuit of a medical degree. (300 words or less)

This one always cracks me up because their #2 prompt takes 150 words to ask for a 300 word essay. :whistle:

But anyhow, round up some nice words for your own 300.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This one always cracks me up because their #2 prompt takes 150 words to ask for a 300 word essay. :whistle:

But anyhow, round up some nice words for your own 300.
ability, dignity, profession(al), medicine, confidential, HIPAA, prevaricate, defraud, embezzle, authorities, violate, surveil, snoop, - rinse and repeat!

if my answer to #2 has nothing to do with medicine is that ok? as in my answer was about how I had to show integrity one time with money.

Saw on Reddit someone apparently already got an II, anyone on here get one 👀?

@Idkyet where did you see that?? link 👀
Nvm who ever posted it deleted it. The post on Reddit basically said they got an II from this school and asked if that is considered a good sign that they'll get in since they got the II very early.

Nvm who ever posted it deleted it. The post on Reddit basically said they got an II from this school and asked if that is considered a good sign that they'll get in since they got the II very early.
here:

• Wow
Some schools just send out early IIs to top picks (or to random deserving applicants before sending a huge wave. They do this to test their servers and make sure they are able to send invites without systemic failures).
EDIT: I'm a Tex Res and I haven't gotten a II from any other schools except TCOM and Sam Houston (withdrawn).

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools just send out early IIs to top picks (or to random deserving applicants before sending a huge wave. They do this to test their servers and make sure they are able to send invites without systemic failures).
EDIT: I'm a Tex Res and I haven't gotten a II from any other schools except TCOM and Sam Houston (withdrawn).
Does it matter when you get an interview? Do these applicants who interview early take up more of the pre-match spots?

how do you know this? just curious if you heard this directly from an adcom

Does it matter when you get an interview? Do these applicants who interview early take up more of the pre-match spots?
Interview invitations carry on through January so they definitely will not completely fill their class with pre-match offers.
Prematch offers go out as early as October 15th.

Also it's important to know that only 1 out of 7 students who gets any interviews will get a pre-match offer.
Last year for the first time TMDSAS analyses the statistics about numbers of applicants who interviewed and number of interviewees offered pre-match offers.
Mosey over here #46
to see my discussion of these stats, and somewhere around that page is a link to the online presentation by THES.

Last edited:
Expanding on [mention]satdixon [/mention] ‘s comment, but does being interviewed earlier increase your likelihood for being prematched? My question kind of falls into the same question the person on Reddit had. Does interviewing early (especially based on how someone earlier in the thread said this first interview round is a much smaller pool of the strongest applicants) increase your chances of getting prematched?
No because some strong applicants are also procrastinators and may apply or get interviewed later. Prematch offers can be made between Oct 15 and late January.

@wysdoc Do you know if this school is prematch heavy?

Have any other schools sent out interview invites?

Also received an II on 7/5 (IS, 511, 3.9, submitted 6/12)

Last edited:
General Q: So If I was complete 6/21 and 6/12 complete people have gotten interviews and I haven't, would that mean I'm essentially rejected? That would make most sense to me. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't. Thanks!

General Q: So If I was complete 6/21 and 6/12 complete people have gotten interviews and I haven't, would that mean I'm essentially rejected? That would make most sense to me. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't. Thanks!
No, no, no.
This is the first TX MD school to even send out interview invitations this year.
They are reading hundreds of applications and deciding what to do with them, and somebody will get an invitation first.
There are many months to go in this cycle that just started, so keep on being your awesome busy self and check your emails weekly.

No, no, no.
This is the first TX MD school to even send out interview invitations this year.
They are reading hundreds of applications and deciding what to do with them, and somebody will get an invitation first.
There are many months to go in this cycle that just started, so keep on being your awesome busy self and check your emails weekly.
Just curious, do high stat applicants always get II first followed by mid-low stat applicants?

no, because who's to say that the high stat applicants are also the ones who turn in their applications early?
Are you implying that early interviews have no advantage at all?

no, because who's to say that the high stat applicants are also the ones who turn in their applications early?
well I'd assume my application has already been read? and I have not received an interview?

I am saying that not being first does not equate to being rejected
I’m just wondering in general, not for this school. Are early interviews advantageous?

well I'd assume my application has already been read? and I have not received an interview?

You don’t know how they’re sorting through applicants. Also, your application may be reviewed, but may be put into a pile of applications to re-review later.

This is my first cycle. Being this involved in the day-to-day of it shows me why they say pre-meds are so neurotic.

My fellow applicants, we're barely getting started. Try to relax, keep working on your other apps, and find activities to keep you balanced. It is going to play out how it plays out. Have some confidence in your application. We're going to be alright.

Reactions: 3 users
No, no, no.
Could you expand on this? Schools put applications on hold? and invite them later?

Could you expand on this? Schools put applications on hold? and invite them later?
I'll try to explain it better - each school is going to have some idea of how many interviews they have time to do.
Handing out all the interview invitations to the "first" people who turn in their applications would make them maybe miss out on some great applicants whose applications don't get to them until a couple months from now.
This is why I try to explain that if you turned yours in really early but don't get one of the really early interview invitations, it doesn't mean you are rejected or "passed over". It only means that the school wants to see the information from more of this year's applicant pool before they decide whom to invite for an interview.

I'll try to explain it better - each school is going to have some idea of how many interviews they have time to do.
Handing out all the interview invitations to the "first" people who turn in their applications would make them maybe miss out on some great applicants whose applications don't get to them until a couple months from now.
This is why I try to explain that if you turned yours in really early but don't get one of the really early interview invitations, it doesn't mean you are rejected of "passed over". It only means that the school wants to see the information from more of this year's applicant pool before they decide whom to invite for an interview.
I’m just wondering in general, not for this school. Are early interviews advantageous? @wysdoc

if you interview in January, there's a good change most of the class has been admitted though right?
TMDSAS Match Day isn't until March, and applicants who have interviewed at several schools will rank their schools in order of preference.
Maybe Texas Tech El Paso is not their favorite among their several schools, even though they interviewed in August.
Maybe it is absolutely your favorite though, so you will rank it #1.
Anyone who has interviewed and ranks a school has a chance of acceptance.
I'll do a more complete Match explanation in a few months on the official TMDSAS questions thread, or you can seek out the video on THES web page.

TMDSAS Match Day isn't until March, and applicants who have interviewed at several schools will rank their schools in order of preference.
Maybe Texas Tech El Paso is not their favorite among their several schools, even though they interviewed in August.
Maybe it is absolutely your favorite though, so you will rank it #1.
Anyone who has interviewed and ranks a school has a chance of acceptance.
I'll do a more complete Match explanation in a few months on the official TMDSAS questions thread, or you can seek out the video on THES web page.
That makes sense. I still feel like it matters maybe a LITTLE bit, considering a school can give so many pre-match offers. Anyway, thx for your help. u probably repeat yourself a lot on various threads hahah

There is a method to the madness for each school and it is incorrect to say someone interviewed in January does not have a shot while someone interviewed in July/August have a 90%+ shot of admission.

There are people who dont get admitted who interviewed in the first week of interviews and there are people who get admitted after January interviews. However, they can't review all applications in the first week and ensure everyone gets invited at the same time which is the reason it is a 6 month process. Things are a little more dire in December if no invite has been received from any school but in July people are still barely turning in their secondaries and just because some interviews have been issued, everyone else's shot at one has not evaporated.

I've just gotten the complete status. Am I too late?
Especially considering my mcat is not phenomenal: 505/4.0