2022-2023 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-II R, OOS, LM 80.

Weird since I had a rural health research pub and have strong ties to rural America. Thought I fit the mission perfectly. My being transgender was also a big part of my application, though; I'm not sure what the climate is like at UNC.

I also took psychology (the only prereq I needed for UNC) over the summer, but didn't submit my completed transcript yet. It shows up on a prior transcript as in-progress. Maybe this was the reason?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Pre-II R, OOS, LM 80.

Weird since I had a rural health research pub and have strong ties to rural America. Thought I fit the mission perfectly. My being transgender was also a big part of my application, though; I'm not sure what the climate is like at UNC.

I also took psychology (the only prereq I needed for UNC) over the summer, but didn't submit my completed transcript yet. It shows up on a prior transcript as in-progress. Maybe this was the reason?
They don’t check for completed pre reqs until after making decisions from what i was told by admissions

I'm sorry to everyone who got bad news today. I know a lot of you are probably wondering what it was about your app that wasn't enough, but the truth is that they all were much more than enough. You will all make incredible physicians. But we get so many amazing applications every year and some very difficult decisions are made. For every IS spot we receive about 6 applications. For every OOS spot, we receive about 300 apps. I don't want any of you believing that this means you aren't good enough. To be a doctor or to be a UNC medical student. You absolutely are good enough. A lot of you will have some amazing choices at the end of this cycle and I wish UNC were one of them. And for those of you who have followed the dream this far- if this is still your dream, it will be here next year. One more year will absolutely not derail your future. By the time you get to the end, no one will even notice one more year. Honestly, speaking from experience, one more year might be a gift, though I know it won't feel that way now.
I obviously can't comment on why adcomm made the decision they did because I wasn't involved, but if you would like an impartial person to talk to about where you might improve your app for re-applying, please feel free to reach out to me.

ETA- My wording may not be the best at 1am lol. My view is impartial in that I will have no stakes in your future admission here, but it is very much a UNC view of your app, because this is the only place I know. Not every program will look for the same things.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R, OOS, LM 80.

Please let me reassure you that being transgender is absolutely not why you were not accepted for an interview this year. I can understand why that might be a concern, but I have seen how supportive UNC has been towards our transgender and other LGBTQ+ students and I can guarantee that is never a reason students are not accepted. We are in the south, but UNC is the liberal heart of NC and our medical students are very active in making sure everyone- students, patients, and everyone else- are included and welcomed here.
ETA- If anyone has more questions on this front or on the culture at UNC, please feel free to reach out to me.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry to everyone who got bad news today. I know a lot of you are probably wondering what it was about your app that wasn't enough, but the truth is that they all were much more than enough. You will all make incredible physicians. But we get so many amazing applications every year and some very difficult decisions are made. For every IS spot we receive about 6 applications. For every OOS spot, we receive about 300 apps. I don't want any of you believing that this means you aren't good enough. To be a doctor or to be a UNC medical student. You absolutely are good enough. A lot of you will have some amazing choices at the end of this cycle and I wish UNC were one of them. And for those of you who have followed the dream this far- if this is still your dream, it will be here next year. One more year will absolutely not derail your future. By the time you get to the end, no one will even notice one more year. Honestly, speaking from experience, one more year might be a gift, though I know it won't feel that way now.
I obviously can't comment on why adcomm made the decision they did because I wasn't involved, but if you would like an impartial person to talk to about where you might improve your app for re-applying, please feel free to reach out to me.

ETA- My wording may not be the best at 1am lol. My view is impartial in that I will have no stakes in your future admission here, but it is very much a UNC view of your app, because this is the only place I know. Not every program will look for the same things.
Do you happen to know the post interview acceptance rate for IS?

Anyone who submitted on 08/12 still not hear anything yet???

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone who submitted on 08/12 still not hear anything yet???

Members don't see this ad :)
II OOS just now lmao. LM 73. URM. No Ties to NC at all. Very surprised.

Reactions: 3 users
II!!!!!!!!! IS reapp. Do we get a confirmation email when we schedule the interview? I'm pretty sure I did it right but I'm not sure lmao 😅

edit: I did it wrong, someone snatched up a date right as I was scheduling 💀

Last edited:
II received on Friday - all glory to God! IS reapplicant with secondary complete 8/31, LM 71

Is the portal just Application Management ?
I interviewed 10/15 but my status on there is still "submitted". Does this mean they probably haven't even looked at my application post interview? Does anyone have "awaiting decision"?

Reactions: 5 users
I interviewed 10/15 but my status on there is still "submitted". Does this mean they probably haven't even looked at my application post interview? Does anyone have "awaiting decision"?
Interviewed 10/4 and says the same! Sigh, waiting and hoping isn’t fun but it’s the name of the game right now. Hoping the best for us all :)

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewed 10/4 and says the same! Sigh, waiting and hoping isn’t fun but it’s the name of the game right now. Hoping the best for us all :)
yeah, not getting II is one thing but dreading the R after II is another miserable feeling.

• Care
Reactions: 7 users

My portal says the same thing. I interviewed 11/7. I’m assuming this is what it shows for most people.

Can’t find any info on this (so I’m assuming it’s a no), but anyone know if they accept post-interview updates?

sorry what do you mean tuesday was the target?
I looked back at last year's thread too, and i think they mean that a lot of acceptances came out on Tuesdays last year due to the committee meeting on Mondays!

Reactions: 1 users
sorry what do you mean tuesday was the target?
If you look back even on this thread, it seems most people reported Acceptances and Rejections on Tuesday as well. So it seems the admissions committee does likely meet on Mondays

Reactions: 2 users
If you look back even on this thread, it seems most people reported Acceptances and Rejections on Tuesday as well. So it seems the admissions committee does likely meet on Mondays
oh wow okay good to know!! here i was getting all nervous every friday lol (because of this graph which someone made from aggregated data from CycleTrack.org). btw forgot to update, but:
complete 7/28, II received 9/10, interviewed 9/26, haven’t heard back yet. MCAT 522, cGPA 3.7 (after post-bacc), LM 76, WARS 85

Attachments

• B59D63BA-2FBA-4016-9509-610998C35A4B.png
    B59D63BA-2FBA-4016-9509-610998C35A4B.png
    240.9 KB · Views: 186
I looked back at last year's thread too, and i think they mean that a lot of acceptances came out on Tuesdays last year due to the committee meeting on Mondays!

oh wow okay good to know!! here i was getting all nervous every friday lol (because of this graph which someone made from aggregated data from CycleTrack.org). btw forgot to update, but:
complete 7/28, II received 9/10, interviewed 9/26, haven’t heard back yet. MCAT 522, cGPA 3.7 (after post-bacc), LM 76, WARS 85
Killer stats, my friend!!! Good luck to you!

Last edited:
No II yet...

OOS

Should I give up on this school at this point?

No II yet...

OOS

Should I give up on this school at this point?
During today's meet & greet, the admissions officer said that our group was the last one for December. It made it sound like there will be some IIs in January or February. Don't give up hope!

Anyone have an idea of when the last interview date is for here this year?

Do they send rejections to those who interviewed already or is it silence until the WL is made? Also when do they notify applicants about being on the WL?

Waiting ever so patiently for an II, got one around this time of year the last time I applied...

Last edited:
  • Care
Do they send rejections to those who interviewed already or is it silence until the WL is made? Also when do they notify applicants about being on the WL?
From past years, it looks like all of the post-interview Rs and the WL come out in mid-March.

Last edited:
I am so nervous for tomorrow, good luck everyone waiting for a decision

Reactions: 6 users
Just sitting here refreshing SDN and my applicant portal every five minutes like that's going to change anything lol

Just sitting here refreshing SDN and my applicant portal every five minutes like that's going to change anything lol
WHY ARE YOU ME?!!!!!!! My phone is on loud, SDN is open, refreshing my email every 2 seconds, checking my applicant portal like if I don't already know nothing is going to change there... AND I have an exam tomorrow to be studying for lol

• Haha