2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
All of your questions are mentioned in this thread already. I guarantee you’ll find your answers quicker by performing a search as compared to waiting for someone with a lot less time on their hands to answer you.

You’ve been accepted to medical school and will one day be a doctor. I have faith you can do it!
Thanks, I have faith in you too! I’ll go on my laptop and scroll through everything.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I love you all, asking for an updated rank tomorrow 🤞🏽
rank #16 now, Soon™

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
@Ellesandra319 do you have a weekly schedule breakdown? Ik you said classes are recorded so we don't have to attend in person correct unless stated
This was our Fall 2022 weekly schedule. Your guy's schedule should be similar unless they drastically change things this year (very unlikely). Classes that were non-mandatory attendance were biochem, physiology, genetics, and histology. Clinical skills (CPC), OPP, and Anatomy have mandatory attendance. Public health (BSPH) attendance is mandatory depending on if you have a guest lecturer that week (instructor will let you know in advance). I think @Ellesandra319 already did a weekly schedule breakdown in an earlier post. Forgive me if I misremember anything, 1st semester was a long time ago and i'm still mentally recovering from 2nd semester :rofl:.

Attachments

• OMS1 Weekly Schedule Fall 2022 PUBLIC 2022-11-08.pdf
    429.1 KB · Views: 127
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
This was our Fall 2022 weekly schedule. Your guy's schedule should be similar unless they drastically change things this year (very unlikely). Classes that were non-mandatory attendance were biochem, physiology, genetics, and histology. Clinical skills (CPC), OPP, and Anatomy have mandatory attendance. Public health (BSPH) attendance is mandatory depending on if you have a guest lecturer that week (instructor will let you know in advance). I think @Ellesandra319 already did a weekly schedule breakdown in an earlier post. Forgive me if I misremember anything, 1st semester was a long time ago and i'm still mentally recovering from 2nd semester :rofl:.
i pmed you!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Got accepted yesterday after being told I was #42 on 4/26/23. Been checking this page 5 times a day every day and my email 40 times a day for that A lol. @drthedude seriously been rooting for you, don't give up!! I lost hope in the last couple days and that's when I finally saw the email I'd been waiting for. Can't wait to see it happen for you, because it will!

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I interviewed on 5/16/23, and was told I should hear something soon during the interview. Should I call the admissions office?

I interviewed on 5/16/23, and was told I should hear something soon during the interview. Should I call the admissions office?
hey I also interviewed same day. Still waiting to hear my decision. If you do call please let me know what they say!

Hi also on the alternate list #23. I had a question in general for any students. WCU is accredited with heightened monitoring. How big of a red flag is that? Im not sure what that means but can someone chime in.

Hi also on the alternate list #23. I had a question in general for any students. WCU is accredited with heightened monitoring. How big of a red flag is that? Im not sure what that means but can someone chime in.
Heightened monitoring WAS due to a lack of research. WCU has since been working to add more research opportunities.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
Heightened monitoring WAS due to a lack of research. WCU has since been working to add more research opportunities.
yeah i think we're all expecting this to be removed when the review period comes up again. i personally don't know anyone who's wanted research opportunities that haven't been able to find them through the school or through school provided resources... maybe not necessarily the exact kind of research people want but people are def finding opportunities!

yeah i think we're all expecting this to be removed when the review period comes up again. i personally don't know anyone who's wanted research opportunities that haven't been able to find them through the school or through school provided resources... maybe not necessarily the exact kind of research people want but people are def finding opportunities!
great to hear! I wasnt sure but thank you for clarifying

Are research opportunities hard to come by here or DO schools in general? Like, publications? I’m just thinking ahead for residency competitiveness - If I need to network with my uni professors or start looking for outside opportunities.

Are research opportunities hard to come by here or DO schools in general? Like, publications? I’m just thinking ahead for residency competitiveness - If I need to network with my uni professors or start looking for outside opportunities.
my general take is whether you’re at MD or DO you are NOT just going to be handed research and certainly not publications. either type of program, you need to be networking and maintaining the. ridges you’ve built. my experience is the students who are most successful explore the opportunities offered through the school and also work to leveragd their outside connections!

@Ellesandra319 do students who live close by/same apartment often carpool?
they do, but generally as a back up, not as a primary plan. my general advice is unless you’re living on campus, you should explore all possible avenues to have a car. simply because you don’t know if your lab schedules will align with the people you want to carpool with, and i can tell you there will be zero mercy if you’re late to a lab or an exam because your carpool backed out or your uber was late, etc.

they do, but generally as a back up, not as a primary plan. my general advice is unless you’re living on campus, you should explore all possible avenues to having a car. simply because you don’t know if your lab schedules will align with the people you want to carpool with, and i can tell you there will be zero mercy if you’re late to a lab or an exam because your carpool backed out or your uber was late, etc.
Damn, ok! Any tips on getting a car in Hattiesburg? and btw you're so patient and understanding with everyone's questions, you're gonna be a great doctor!

Reactions: 1 users
Damn, ok! Any tips on getting a car in Hattiesburg? and btw you're so patient and understanding with everyone's questions, you're gonna be a great doctor!
well thank you! i would say it kind of just depends on your budget/finance situation, but my best advice would be

1) if you have a larger budget, fly into Nola 2-3 weeks before classes start, 1-2 days before you’re planning to move in, spend the night in Nola, find the dealership of your choice (there is CarMax in Nola too) and drive a car off the lot.

2) if you have a more limited budget and don’t care about the car type, try to get maybe $1-2K to put as a down payment and buy a used car from one of the reputable dealerships in hattie!

3) if you’re in canada or US, buy a car where you’re located and spend a couple days driving down. i know some folks from Canada have driven down in caravans from places like Toronto, Vancouver, etc. Of note, you don’t need to worry about changing your registration or licensing in MS since we’re technically considered temporary residents!

well thank you! i would say it kind of just depends on your budget/finance situation, but my best advice would be

1) if you have a larger budget, fly into Nola 2-3 weeks before classes start, 1-2 days before you’re planning to move in, spend the night in Nola, find the dealership of your choice (there is CarMax in Nola too) and drive a car off the lot.

2) if you have a more limited budget and don’t care about the car type, try to get maybe $1-2K to put as a down payment and buy a used car from one of the reputable dealerships in hattie!

3) if you’re in canada or US, buy a car where you’re located and spend a couple days driving down. i know some folks from Canada have driven down in caravans from places like Toronto, Vancouver, etc. Of note, you don’t need to worry about changing your registration or licensing in MS since we’re technically considered temporary residents!
also make sure you check your credit beforehand! check your FICO score as leasing/loaning is heavily dependent on that!

my general take is whether you’re at MD or DO you are NOT just going to be handed research and certainly not publications. either type of program, you need to be networking and maintaining the. ridges you’ve built. my experience is the students who are most successful explore the opportunities offered through the school and also work to leveragd their outside connections!
Time to hit up my old professors. lol.

Time to hit up my old professors. lol.
i’ll say at this point you’re def gonna want to focus more on clinical research as much as you can, which may lend itself networking with physicians you may know, as opposed to bench research you may have done in undergrad!

i’ll say at this point you’re def gonna want to focus more on clinical research as much as you can, which may lend itself networking with physicians you may know, as opposed to bench research you may have done in undergrad!
Yes! I did clinical research at Mayo for a summer internship. I really liked it, and how it was patient outcomes focused.

Do residency programs care that much if you are published or types of clinical research? I’ve heard people applying for say derm, should have derm research, but not sure how true that is.

For OOS US students, did y’all change your license plates and drivers license to Mississippi or can we keep our home state?

For OOS US students, did y’all change your license plates and drivers license to Mississippi or can we keep our home state?
You can keep your home state license plate and drivers license (that's what I did). For reference, I see a bunch of Texas license plates every time I drive around campus. Just make sure you let your local DMV know that you are operating your vehicle outside your home state (at least that is what I had to do as a CA resident).

You can keep your home state license plate and drivers license (that's what I did). For reference, I see a bunch of Texas license plates every time I drive around campus. Just make sure you let your local DMV know that you are operating your vehicle outside your home state (at least that is what I had to do as a CA resident).
Thank you

Fr tho, how can we do this?
We may not have Patagonia, but clubs will be offering school merch throughout the school year. There is one club that offered Port Authority embroidered jackets and vests and I have to say they were quite the hit (you'll probably see a few of us 2nd years and even faculty rocking them every now and then). Who knows, maybe y'all might be the year we finally get the Patagonia sponsor ;).

Yes! I did clinical research at Mayo for a summer internship. I really liked it, and how it was patient outcomes focused.

Do residency programs care that much if you are published or types of clinical research? I’ve heard people applying for say derm, should have derm research, but not sure how true that is.

Lol, Jesus no.

• Haha

Last I talked with Dr. Smith, he said they hired a research coordinator to work with students for placing them in clinical research. That person could probably help tailor the type of research to specialty, but keeping it real, a 1st year student probably wont know what it would be yet lol until rotations. I think once I enroll, Ill meet them to set up a timeline I could possibly do research during my 4 years at WCUCOM and start reaching out to connections proactively for that timeline like @Ellesandra319 advised. As I get closer to choosing a specialty, try to find clinical research toward it.

Last edited:
@Ellesandra319 how did you go about getting your scrubs embroidered with your name and patch? how do we get the patch? sorry if you’ve answered this before!

@Ellesandra319 how did you go about getting your scrubs embroidered with your name and patch? how do we get the patch? sorry if you’ve answered this before!
you can get yours embroidered at scrubs n more in hattiesburg or the embroidery hut in hattiesburg! they have the file for the embroidery on their system and just embroider it on with your name! I have experiences with both and they both do a great job! I would personally just take your scrubs in when you move (ideally 2-3 weeks before classes begin) and for 2-3 tops they should be done in a week or so!

you can supposedly buy the patch at the bookstore and iron it on, but again would NOT reccomend this because the bookstore has a track record of being unreliable, and the people with the ironed on patches have had to redo theirs a few times!

Do we think they sent out more A’s on Thursday/Friday? Didn’t see any posts here

✨This week is THE week✨

🤞🏽🙏🏻

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone heard anything about the Chelsea apartment complex?

(Sorry in advance if this has already been answered) Does anyone happen to know if the WCU bookstore or Scrubs n more is cheaper for scrubs and embroidery?

(Sorry in advance if this has already been answered) Does anyone happen to know if the WCU bookstore or Scrubs n more is cheaper for scrubs and embroidery?
you can get yours embroidered at scrubs n more in hattiesburg or the embroidery hut in hattiesburg! they have the file for the embroidery on their system and just embroider it on with your name! I have experiences with both and they both do a great job! I would personally just take your scrubs in when you move (ideally 2-3 weeks before classes begin) and for 2-3 tops they should be done in a week or so!

you can supposedly buy the patch at the bookstore and iron it on, but again would NOT reccomend this because the bookstore has a track record of being unreliable, and the people with the ironed on patches have had to redo theirs a few times!

• Love
I posted this also in the group me, but If you have an ID.me account from checking your taxes, VA, or using a government website, you can log in to ID.me website and click that your a student for a 15% student discount code for Figs Scrubs. They also have student discounts for shoes, computers, smart watches, and more. I'm getting Figs scrubs so I used it lol.