2022-2023 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Perhaps today is the day my fellow alternate list peeps!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Any news yet my fellow alt list friends? Would be very surprised as they haven't sent any A's out since last Wed

Reactions: 1 user
Just got the A, but will be withdrawing my seat! I was number 66 on the alt list. Best of luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
random q do any of you know if WL movement at other schools will continue in June? edit: asking for lease signing purposes before i commit as I am WLed at program closer to home.

Reactions: 2 users
random q do any of you know if WL movement at other schools will continue in June? edit: asking for lease signing purposes before i commit as I am WLed at program closer to home.
I think June is historically like THE month movement goes from 100 to 1000 bc everyone’s done interviewing

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I am still waiting on my rank. Placed on the alternate list last week. Hoping to get accepted soon since I already feel like a part of WCUCOM community 🙂

• Care
Did you guys enter your parents info for FAFSA? It said I could or I could skip it on FAFSA, filed independent 2021/2022 tax returns

Sorry if this was discussed already but does anyone know what’s common for dress code for M1 and M2 years? Do most students just end up wearing scrubs to lecture and such? I’m thinking of wearing scrubs and switching out with polo/khaki combination if I need to.

Sorry if this was discussed already but does anyone know what’s common for dress code for M1 and M2 years? Do most students just end up wearing scrubs to lecture and such? I’m thinking of wearing scrubs and switching out with polo/khaki combination if I need to.
99.99999% of people wear scrubs 100% of the time. People will wear dress clothes to like IPE days we have with the pharmacy and PT program when we have to wear white coats, but other than that its seriously 100% scrubs all the time. Obviously you can do what you want, but that's kind of what's standard! We have maybe 5-6 people in our class of 200 that will occasionally wear dress clothes but that's personal preference!

ETA: for orientation its def professional dress (at least day 1... suit + tie or blouse) unless they tell you otherwise... i think for later orientation days they may have you wear scrubs but I don't know those details!

Reactions: 3 users
I usually wore comfortable pants and a t shirt. I don’t think I ever wore the WCU scrubs I purchased.

99.99999% of people wear scrubs 100% of the time. People will wear dress clothes to like IPE days we have with the pharmacy and PT program when we have to wear white coats, but other than that its seriously 100% scrubs all the time. Obviously you can do what you want, but that's kind of what's standard! We have maybe 5-6 people in our class of 200 that will occasionally wear dress clothes but that's personal preference!

ETA: for orientation its def professional dress (at least day 1... suit + tie or blouse) unless they tell you otherwise... i think for later orientation days they may have you wear scrubs but I don't know those details!
Hi Ellesandra, I know this might be an annoying question but I'm wondering if there's anyway that we can get access to the old lecture slides? The timetables look really overwhelming to me so I really want to take a look ahead of time lol. Is there a dropbox that we can get access to? Feel free to PM me if you feel like to

Does anyone know if WCUCOM allows you to rotate back home for your fourth year?

Hi Ellesandra, I know this might be an annoying question but I'm wondering if there's anyway that we can get access to the old lecture slides? The timetables look really overwhelming to me so I really want to take a look ahead of time lol. Is there a dropbox that we can get access to? Feel free to PM me if you feel like to
have y’all gotten your weekly schedule yet?just wanting to know which timetable you’re talking about!!

Does anyone know if WCUCOM allows you to rotate back home for your fourth year?
i’ll defer to 3rd and 4th years for more detail but my understanding g is yep fourth year you can pretty much choose wherever you go as long as it’s meeting the elective requirements!

As much as I would love to share this stuff with you, I absolutely will defer to the tried and true statement: DON'T PRE STUDY. lolol I know that's the last thing you want to hear, and trust me i felt the EXACT same way last year when we got our schedules, but I can tell you:

1) Don't panic by how much you see on the schedule; you will adapt quickly.
2) Trying to pre-study now will do zero good because so much of how you study and how you "learn how to learn" needs the pace of having all your classes combined.

The panic you feel right now is really just EXTREMELY normal. I hated when people told me don't pre-study, and if you look back I'm sure there's some post I made trying to get old lecture sides. BUT in retrospect i'm SO glad I just enjoyed by summer and got all my ducks in a row (health stuff/mental stuff/purchases/etc.)!!!

Just hang in there and get ready for the ride of your life!

are nose rings allowed at wcu??
i don't remember if there is a specific policy, but you should be fine... you'll just probably have to take it out for standardized patient encounters unless its for a religious reason, which if it is, def just shoot a quick email to Dr Smith Trigg and make sure they're aware!

i’ll defer to 3rd and 4th years for more detail but my understanding g is yep fourth year you can pretty much choose wherever you go as long as it’s meeting the elective requirements!

I could be wrong, but we would be allowed to rotate back during third year too right?

I could be wrong, but we would be allowed to rotate back during third year too right?
actually no. unless something drastic changes in the next 2 years, you’ll be assigned a rotation site! there may be 1-2 electives (though I don’t think so) but for sure by in large you’ll be at your assigned hub site!

I was reading the dress code for the school and it says that girls have to wear a shirt with a collar, tailored pants and socks with shoes. I have heard they are pretty strict on dress code, but how strict are they with this? Are girls not allowed to wear blouses with dress pants or flats for shoes?

I was reading the dress code for the school and it says that girls have to wear a shirt with a collar, tailored pants and socks with shoes. I have heard they are pretty strict on dress code, but how strict are they with this? Are girls not allowed to wear blouses with dress pants or flats for shoes?
This is screenshot from our 2022-2023 Handbook which my class signed. Feel free to cross reference with yours!

SO by the letter of the law, for non-Labs, you have 2 options:

1) Men + Women: Assigned color scrub shirt with scrub pants

2) Professional Dress:
Men: Slacks + Shirt with Collar, Dress Shoes/Athletic Shoes w/ Socks
Women: Slacks or Skirts + Blouse (the collar thing is a non-thing lol), Flats

Day to day, 99% of students simply wear assigned color scrubs. Remember, for OPP Lab you have to have sports bra for women and athletic shorts (or option of biker shorts for women) underneath your scrubs. For Anatomy Lab, you just wear any color junk scrubs you want (I stole some from the OR I worked in prior to school lol).

The only time they will be strict with the dress code is if/when you are required to dress professionally for what will most likely be (1) standardized patient encounters second semester (though subject to change). You'll have other STP enoucnters where you'll just wear scrubs, but for your last one they'll most likely have you dress professionally. They will send out a whole dress code for that which is kind of its own separate thing.

I remember feeling super uptight about the dress code too, but just plan on wearing scrubs day to day, with some professional clothes in your closet for IPE days and any standardized patient encounters you might need them for. And if they're going to be strict about your STP dress code, they'll tell you I promise!

And again, unless otherwise indicated by any materials you receive from admin, I would personally plan on wearing a suit and tie for the men + dress shoes, and suit and blouse for the women + dress shoes for orientation.

1685897718965.png

Anyone heard any waitlist movement the past week? Was mid twenties on the alt list on may 26th. When I talked to someone at the school they made it sound like the situation was good, but haven't heard since and have been feeling anxious.

Anyone heard any waitlist movement the past week? Was mid twenties on the alt list on may 26th. When I talked to someone at the school they made it sound like the situation was good, but haven't heard since and have been feeling anxious.
i bet this week is your week!

I was #16 and got off this past Wednesday

I’m number 13 on the alternate list. We’ll both get in soon!

Anyone know how many more people are on the alternate list? I’m wondering if they are going to move to the deferred list anytime soon. Trying to keep my hopes up, thanks!

I was #16 and got off this past Wednesday
I’m number 13 on the alternate list. We’ll both get in soon!
I’m new here and wanted to share my alternate list position to give y’all some hope. I am #18. We are all getting through this list! I would love to meet everyone here in the fall.

Last edited:
If anyone’s looking for a male roommate, feel free to DM! Looking for one :)

Today was the day I was accepted! The day after I first decided to post something here too! Excited to meet you all come fall.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Today was the day I was accepted! The day after I first decided to post something here too! Excited to meet you all come fall.
welcome! can't wait to meet you!!