A.T. Still University (ATSU-SOMA) Arizona Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please explain this schools curriculum? I do not particualrly understand the 1 and 3 bull****

You do 1 year at the campus in Mesa. The following 3 years of medical school are done at one of multiple CHCs throughout the country (including sites in Hawaii, Chicago, New York, Oregon, Arizona, California, etc.). Each CHC has different rotation settings but the best advice is to choose somewhere you are comfortable with living for 3 years because the education will be somewhat the same at the sites (give or take a little). It is what you make of it. I for one am super excited to attend! Can it be July already??????

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Hawaii is no longer a CHC. I believe it stopped with class of 2017

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email from the office of diversity congratulating me on getting an interview. Only thing is I haven't received an interview offer....anyone else get this?
When were you complete?

I really really loved this school praying I get accepted. Interviewed on the 4th. Really a special program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really really loved this school praying I get accepted. Interviewed on the 4th. Really a special program.

What did you like best? Also, when were you complete?

What did you like best? Also, when were you complete?
The CHC program and the general attitude of the faculty and the students. The students seem like they love it. The area of the school, so many other little factors but the main is CHC. Also I'm not sure when I was complete id say maybe early October?

Just got an email from the office of diversity congratulating me on getting an interview. Only thing is I haven't received an interview offer....anyone else get this?

My sister just got this as well. What does it mean? lol the e-mail is definitely not a standard II e-mail, which you get from admissions...

My sister just got this as well. What does it mean? lol the e-mail is definitely not a standard II e-mail, which you get from admissions...

No clue, I remember my secondary invite was also from office of diversity. Might just be an automated email and we'll get the one from admissions soon? Really not sure, calling first thing tomorrow morning.

Members don't see this ad :)
No clue, I remember my secondary invite was also from office of diversity. Might just be an automated email and we'll get the one from admissions soon? Really not sure, calling first thing tomorrow morning.

I got the email too. It would be really cruel if this was not really an interview invite. There isn't a link to sign up for a date or any more details so I'm definitely skeptical...

People who interviewed: who did you get the invite from and what did the email look like?

Last edited:
I got accepted!! Time to pop champagne :nurse::nurse::nurse::nurse: but I don't know if going, too many choices :/
Best of luck to the rest of yous

I got the email too. It would be really cruel if this was not really an interview invite. There isn't a link to sign up for a date or any more details so I'm definitely skeptical...

People who interviewed: who did you get the invite from and what did the email look like?

Went back to the first few threads and looks like this email was sent before to people who hadn't even sent their secondaries. Most likely a glitch...:(

dude me too, it's a very strange email congratulating me accepting the interview offer. I never quite get the offer.....wah wah wah

Went back to the first few threads and looks like this email was sent before to people who hadn't even sent their secondaries. Most likely a glitch...:(

dude me too, it's a very strange email congratulating me accepting the interview offer. I never quite get the offer.....wah wah wah

I got an email at 4:30 AM PST with an interview invite today. It was in my spam. You guys should check to see if you got one too! I think they might have jumped the gun with this email from the Office of Diversity.

Interviewed on the 4th. Fingers crossed. Love this school.

Just received an interview invite this morning!! :soexcited: Scheduled for April 22... :(

um I believe very late Oct? Somewhere around there. Has been around 1.5 months I think.

I was complete mid October. I decided to add this school late and am totally regretting not applying earlier.

Interviewing March 4th. Excited! See y'all soon :D

Does anyone know if it's much harder to get in if you interview in march/april? It seems like most of the spots are already taken.

Anybody wanna share what to do after sending in the deposit and agreement?

Was interviewed here on November 20, and got rejected. Anyways, wasn't even slightly disappointed, as I didn't like the school, I didn't feel that connection with the school. It was my first interview and the interview was very different but very interesting ( I had interviews after and got acceptance!). I didn't like the 1+3 model, and Arizona, and the weather (I am from California). I didn't like the feedback I got from the school. They didn't tell me anything specific but that I need to work more on my interviewing skills, and they are looking for students with more practice in underserved communities and primary care ( but HELLO, you didn't need to invite me to an interview, you already knew my experiences). Another thing I didn't like is they give too many interview invitations and accept a few, for a very small class. Interview is the most expensive part of this process and they should be more understanding about this.
Good luck everyone!
When were you complete and stats/LizzyM? I agree with you on why they seemed to want more from you, but already knew of your stats/experiences..

When were you complete and stats/LizzyM? I agree with you on why they seemed to want more from you, but already knew of your stats/experiences..
I was complete in early september, got II in mid October. LizzyM 65, cGPA and sGPA 3.47. Uneven MCAT score though, high biological and physical science score (above 90%)

Last edited:
My interview invite was sent to my junk folder, and I almost missed the deadline! Interviewing Feb.

Last edited:
Darn I was complete mid October too.
@stumpedchick @nanac @unagidon007 what are your stats/LizzyM?

My LizzyM is 63 too. I called and they said there are 20 people on the waiting list for the January interview date. Oh my goodness..

This is so strange that their interviews have booked up so quickly. In previous years, there were still spots for January at this time of year.

Last edited:
I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my situation - I've been complete here since 11/1 and have heard absolutely nothing. Every day I wait for that snail mail rejection letter to no avail. Is it possible that I'm still in the running even those it's this late? I noticed those that gets II's usually hear back within the month and those that are rejected pre-II get it at the one month mark.

Someone also mentioned that there is a January interview waitlist. Does this mean that the last interview dates in January?
The school interviews until April. You can always call the school to verify where your application stands currently.

I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my situation - I've been complete here since 11/1 and have heard absolutely nothing. Every day I wait for that snail mail rejection letter to no avail. Is it possible that I'm still in the running even those it's this late? I noticed those that gets II's usually hear back within the month and those that are rejected pre-II get it at the one month mark.

Someone also mentioned that there is a January interview waitlist. Why would there be a waitlist - does this mean that the last interview dates are in January?

I got an II at about the 3 month mark and they scheduled me for February. So not hearing back by the end of 1 month isn't necessarily the kiss of death.

Reactions: 1 users
I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my situation - I've been complete here since 11/1 and have heard absolutely nothing. Every day I wait for that snail mail rejection letter to no avail. Is it possible that I'm still in the running even though it's this late? I noticed those that get II's usually hear back within the month and those that are rejected pre-II get it around the one month mark.

Someone also mentioned that there is a January interview waitlist. Why would there be a waitlist for interviews - does this mean that the last interview dates are in January?

They interview until April. However, if you want an earlier date, you can be put on the waitlist. They will notify you if a spot opens up.

Was interviewed here on November 20, and got rejected. Anyways, wasn't even slightly disappointed, as I didn't like the school, I didn't feel that connection with the school. It was my first interview and the interview was very different but very interesting ( I had interviews after and got acceptance!). I didn't like the 1+3 model, and Arizona, and the weather (I am from California). I didn't like the feedback I got from the school. They didn't tell me anything specific but that I need to work more on my interviewing skills, and they are looking for students with more practice in underserved communities and primary care ( but HELLO, you didn't need to invite me to an interview, you already knew my experiences). Another thing I didn't like is they give too many interview invitations and accept a few, for a very small class. Interview is the most expensive part of this process and they should be more understanding about this.
Good luck everyone!
Sorry to hear that but I can attest that SOMA has a really intense interview process for a reason. They have a really unique curriculum model that doesn't work for everyone so they want to make sure that you are the right fit. Personally I loved the interview process and the curriculum model and the CHC's and the campus and the faculty....anyways you get the idea. Good luck to you as well!

Reactions: 4 users
Just scheduled but for April 22nd. Do they let you reschedule if earlier dates open? Really interested in this school and would love to hear something quicker than that!

Just scheduled but for April 22nd. Do they let you reschedule if earlier dates open? Really interested in this school and would love to hear something quicker than that!

There are Jan, Feb, and March interview dates but they all have a wait list.