A.T. Still University Kirksville (ATSU-KCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was just hoping to get more guidance in what I am suppose to be doing right now. I did my FAFSA last month and have started getting my immunizations. I don't really know what else I should be doing in preparation. I have logged into my portal and don't really see much of anything.

I think your on track. I already have all my immunization records but I plan to get a recent sign off on them (old documentation, and to ensure no updates are necessary.) My guess is next month we will register for classes considering the April 15tj registration fee

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your on track. I already have all my immunization records but I plan to get a recent sign off on them. My guess is next month we will register for classes considering the April 15tj registration fee
That would be nice! I tried to do the proof of insurance and it won't allow me to access the page yet.

That would be nice! I tried to do the proof of insurance and it won't allow me to access the page yet.
They said they will send more information for immunization a and stuff end of March or beginning of April

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just hoping to get more guidance in what I am suppose to be doing right now.

You are supposed to be doing a lot of fun things right now because beginning in July there will be notably less time for those.;)

Has anyone received any updates from the accepted pending seat yet or a ranking on the list?

Yes there is movement. I interviewed 2/22, put on the accepted pending availability of a seat on 2/29. Got the call this morning confirming availability of a seat to start in July, 2016. Now I can just say that I am accepted!

Reactions: 4 users
You are supposed to be doing a lot of fun things right now because beginning in July there will be notably less time for those.;)

Agreed. The only other thing you should be doing is finding housing. Don't wait until the last minute.

Other than that, just enjoy life.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

just declined my II here - decision not to go nearly killed me but after 4 other IIs and 3 acceptances I think I'm done. loved the program not a fan of kirksville/midwest and travel costs. hope someone else gets it... best y'all

Reactions: 1 user
Yes there is movement. I interviewed 2/22, put on the accepted pending availability of a seat on 2/29. Got the call this morning confirming availability of a seat to start in July, 2016. Now I can just say that I am accepted!

So If I interviewed on the 2/5/16 and got accepted 2/10/16 how is it that you would get the call first? Its not like this is a wait list. We are all technically "accepted". Or is the list tiered as well? I'm confused.

So If I interviewed on the 2/5/16 and got accepted 2/10/16 how is it that you would get the call first? Its not like this is a wait list. We are all technically "accepted". Or is the list tiered as well? I'm confused.
I would say there is a ranking within the list (i was accepted pending availability back in Feb as well and nothing)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I would say there is a ranking within the list (i was accepted pending availability back in Feb as well and nothing)

Same. But in January. Obviously that guy outclasses us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Declined my II from 2/3. If the plane ticket weren't $700, I would've loved to check out this wonderful program!

I got an acceptance somewhere else but wondering if they're still sending out II? Is it too late? how late into the spring do they interview?

Does "accepted pending open seat" mean if you don't get in this cycle, you are guaranteed next cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anybody else access the April 2016 pre-registration fee page? I see the page, but the selections to pay the pre-registration fee aren't visible

Wow, I was complete around New Year's but just got "put on hold" (II waitlist). I was quite surprised that they would update my status like that so late in the cycle. Having already been accepted at ACOM, I had been planning on traveling in May, but now...is there any chance of my actually being interviewed at KCOM? And if so, do interviews go as late as May?

Quick question - Would it be possible to use a Surface instead of an iPad for the books/tests/other content? Or is it all Apple-based apps? I have an iPad, but have been itching for an excuse to get a Surface haha

Quick question - Would it be possible to use a Surface instead of an iPad for the books/tests/other content? Or is it all Apple-based apps? I have an iPad, but have been itching for an excuse to get a Surface haha
No they require an iPad and other tablets are not acceptable. Sorry that is just part of what the technical requirements we received. You can get whatever kind of computer you want though but the iPad is required.

iPad is required for all exams so a Surface would not suffice.

iPad is required for all exams so a Surface would not suffice.

I'm still on the "pending Seat" list so i'm curious about this. Do they provide you with an ipad? Or do you go out and buy one and they reimburse you? If thats the case I might not even get a computer and just buy the IPAD pro with the keyboard. (If I get in of course :) )

With an upcoming interview this month, am I at a disadvantage of getting a "pending seat" than I would have before the new year?

I'm still on the "pending Seat" list so i'm curious about this. Do they provide you with an ipad? Or do you go out and buy one and they reimburse you? If thats the case I might not even get a computer and just buy the IPAD pro with the keyboard. (If I get in of course :) )

The iPad, Apple Care, and required app costs are budgeted into your cost of attendance, so you go out and buy your own prior to orientation; at least that is how it worked last year. I have a keyboard case for my iPad and it is good for many things (like lecture notes, etc...) , although I do still tend to use my laptop for more extensive typing and working with Google Docs (because the iPad app is terrible). We do these team-based learning things in pharmacology that require the whole group to work on a Google Doc and we all for the most part bring laptops because the iPad isn't sufficient to complete the task. If memory serves me correctly last year it was a requirement to have a laptop and an iPad.

KCOM 2016 Match List

Anesthesia

Oklahoma State University
Des Peres Hospital
Riverside Medical Center
St. Louis University
Cleveland Clinic
University of Chicago
St. Louis University
Northeast Regional Medical Center

Derm

Botsford Hospital
SAUSHEC

Emergency Med

Inspira Health Network
Arrowhead Regional Medical Ctr
Allegiance Health
Madigan Army Medical Center
Botsford Hospital
Central Michigan University
Akron City Hospital (NEOMED/Summa)
University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics
New York Methodist Hospital
Texas Tech
Univ. California Davis
University of Texas - Dell SOM
Geisinger Medical Center
Akron General Hospital

Family Med

Offutt AFB
Sparrow Hospital
Metro Health
McLaren Macomb
Lakeland Regional Medical Center
SIU Quincy Family Medicine
St. John Macomb-Oakland
St. John Medical Center
Forbes Hospital Allegheny Health Network
UP Health System - Marquette
Community Westview Hospital
Munson Medical Center
Genesys Regional Medical Center
Heart of Lancaster Regional Med Center
University of Wyoming
Medical College of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
Medical College of Wisconsin - Fox Valley
McLaren Macomb
Valley Medical Center
The Wright Center
Community Westview Hospital
McLaren Oakland
Northeast Regional Medical Center
United Memorial Medical Center
University of Wisconsin: Wausau
St. Mary Corwin
Palm Springs General Hospital
Center For Family Medicine/SIU Springfield
Danville Regional Medical Center
SIU Quincy Family Medicine
Corpus Christi Medical Center
Center For Family Medicine/SIU Springfield
Community Health Care
Integris Bass Baptist Health Center
Truman Medical Center- Lakewood
Mercy Hospital-St. Louis
HonorHealth Scottsdale Osborn
Idaho State University
UMKC/Truman Medical Center-Lakewood
TriHealth Bethesda Family Practice
University of Maryland Medical Center
Duke University
Mizzou

Family Med/NMM

Florida Hospital - East Orlando
Southampton Hospital

General Surgery

Doctors Hospital
Good Samaritan Regional Medical Center
Henry Ford Macomb
Beaumont-Trenton
Genesys
St. John's Episcopal
St. John's Episcopal
Geisinger Wyoming Valley

Internal Medicine

Naval Medical Center San Diego
Allegheny General Hospital
St. John Macomb-Oakland
Freeman Health System
Largo Medical Center
Lakeland Regional Medical Ceter
Wright Patterson AFB/Miami Valley
Freeman Health System
Oklahoma State University/OMECO
Unity Health
Corpus Christi Medical Center
VA Medical Center
Maricopa Medical Center
U Arizona COM-Phoenix
Hennepin County Medical Center
Loyola University
University of Kansas

NMM

Michigan State University

Neurology

Garden City
Southern Illinois Univeristy

OB/GYN

Genesys Regional Medical Center
Henry Ford Macomb
Grandview Hospital
St. John Macomb-Oakland
Presence St. Francis Hospital
Mercy Hospital

Ophtho

SAUSHEC
Grandview

Orthopedics

McLaren Greater Lansing
Western Reserve Hospital
McLaren Greater Lansing
Mayo Clinic

Pathology

SAMMC

Pediatrics

Dayton Children's Hospital / Wright Patterson Air Force Base
OSU/OMECO
Oklahoma State/OMECO
Childrens Regional/Cooper University Hospital
MU Women's & Children's Hospital
St. Louis University
University of New Mexico SOM
University of Illinois-OSF
Crozer Chester Medical Center/DuPont Hospital for Children
University of Iowa Children's Hospital
University of South Dakota Sanford Children's Hospital
Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent

Psychiatry

Naval Medical Center San Diego
MSUCOM/Detroit Wayne County Health Authority
JPS
Mayo

Radiology

McLaren Oakland
University of Texas Med School-Houston
University of Louisville
University of Missouri
Maricopa County Hospital

Transitional Year

PGY1-Gen Surg-Civilian Deferred
Weatherford Regional Medical Center
Botsford Hospital
Capital Region Medical Center
Bayonne Medical Center
Beaumont-Trenton
Palisades Medical Center

Vascular Surgery

Charleston Area Medical Center/West Virginia University

Reactions: 1 users
edit. sorry. thinking of different school.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I have an interview on Monday. Do you have recommendations on any (cheap) places to stay? Unfortunately they didn't have any more current students offering a place to stay.

Comfort Inn was pretty cheap. Days Inn is also pretty cheap I believe. I have stayed at the Comfort Inn and the Holiday Inn Express, both were okay, but the HI:E was more expensive.

Definitely recommend staying south of town at a place called Depot Inn & Suites. I only found this place after hotels.com screwed up my Holiday Inn Express booking but it made for a much more enjoyable experience. It was half the price of HIE and suprisingly way nicer than any of the places in Kirksville. I believe it is a train themed Inn because of the tracks passing right next to it. The only downside was that it was about 12 minutes outside of town but it was definitely worth it for me. If you tell them you are interviewing, it was like $79. I have also heard recommendations of Air B&B. Hope this helps!

At my interview, admissions said it would take 1-3 weeks for a decision. Looking at previous posts on this thread, it looks like it's been 1 week to get a decision. Is that true for most of you who interviewed?

At my interview, admissions said it would take 1-3 weeks for a decision. Looking at previous posts on this thread, it looks like it's been 1 week to get a decision. Is that true for most of you who interviewed?

It varies. I know last year they said 1-3 weeks also. I heard back in about 5 days but some groups didn't hear for 2-3 weeks.

I heard back 4-5 days after my interview

To first or second years with families:

Where do you live? Most of the places I'm finding that are big enough and pet friendly are 600-700+ per month. How is that affordable on the ~7400/year they allot in loans for housing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember my interview being at the beginning of the week. I heard back at the end of the week.

Yeah, that was how it worked for me too.

Anybody from 3/25 interview date hear anything yet?

Officially declined my acceptance peding a seat. While this does not open a spot per se, it should shorting the wait for others. Best of luck guys! Kcom is a great school

Officially declined my acceptance peding a seat. While this does not open a spot per se, it should shorting the wait for others. Best of luck guys! Kcom is a great school

Did you receive the acceptance today?

I got it 2 and a half months ago

Okay, cool. They must not have sent any decisions today or maybe no one who was actually accepted today post on these forums.

Accepted pending an open seat! Do we have to pay deposit or do we wait until actual acceptance for this years class comes?

Accepted pending an open seat! Do we have to pay deposit or do we wait until actual acceptance for this years class comes?

You wait for the actual acceptance, but considering how late it is in the cycle, it will probably all be due at once

Hey guys- 1st year here just about to finish up with second semester and the dreadful cardiology blocks. Boy oh boy has it been fun... :dead:

Had an applicant ask me about remediation policies and what tests are like and figured the answer could be useful to everyone. PM me if you guys have any questions about the school. See ya later!

"The remediation policy is: the first time you take an exam for a course you can remediate it up to 70%. Mind you this is only applicable towards the first test of a course (most courses are 4 semesters long, so just the 1st test, the 1st semester). With that being said, I'm pretty sure 95-99% of the class has failed at least sections of an exam. The tests are usually on 6-8 different subjects (histology, biochem, anat, phys, pathology, internal medicine, pharmacology, micro, surgery, peds, etc.) and the questions are mixed together. So you basically sit down and take a test for 2-4 hours that is 150 or 200 questions long with all the subjects jumbled. Semester one isn't hard. It might seem really hard but I doubt many had a hard time passing. If you do fail (get under a 70%), you have to go before a board and they decide what to do (look at all your grades, you can explain yourself, etc.). This is really rare. I'm assuming <5% of the class faces this situation. Now to be real, 5 students from last years class failed out and are retaking the year with our class. I think 1 failed 1st semester and 4 failed the 2nd semester. The second semester is ridiculously hard just because of one class- internal medicine. There are no wrong answers per se, it's knowing what's best given a situation, etc. Now our last exam the internal med average was 66% which meant 60-70% of the class failed it. I have friends who got high grades on it- it's just cause it's a different way of testing. Scoring low on internal med tho the first time around is normal (every year the average on the first cardio internal med exam is 60-70%). It does become straightforward and I'd say very few are worried about failing now that we've gotten used to it.

Another thing- 30 on MCAT and 4.0 GPA.. all of that stuff doesn't matter. Everyone here works hard... really hard. Like studying all day every day hard. It's different than undergrad. I mean sure there are a few people who get 100%s on everything and probably got a 38 on the mcat (we have a few who did and are from ivy league schools). But for the average 3.7~ gpa 30~ MCAT person (which is the majority), expect to work super hard and study smart. If you put in the time, watch lectures enough, etc., you will pass, and yes passing is all you should be worrying about. Grades here are almost irrelevant. Your board score makes up 75% of what residencies take into consideration when applying. Also, to put things in perspective, my GPA for the 1st semester was an 85% (had all As and Bs) and my class ranking was 40th percentile. Yeah.. I thought I was doing great cause I did well on all my block exams but everyone here is smart and you have to face reality that grades don't really matter, just do the time and you will be able to become whatever doctor you want to become (if you pass :p)."

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys- 1st year here just about to finish up with second semester and the dreadful cardiology blocks. Boy oh boy has it been fun... :dead:

Had an applicant ask me about remediation policies and what tests are like and figured the answer could be useful to everyone. PM me if you guys have any questions about the school. See ya later!

"The remediation policy is: the first time you take an exam for a course you can remediate it up to 70%. Mind you this is only applicable towards the first test of a course (most courses are 4 semesters long, so just the 1st test, the 1st semester). With that being said, I'm pretty sure 95-99% of the class has failed at least sections of an exam. The tests are usually on 6-8 different subjects (histology, biochem, anat, phys, pathology, internal medicine, pharmacology, micro, surgery, peds, etc.) and the questions are mixed together. So you basically sit down and take a test for 2-4 hours that is 150 or 200 questions long with all the subjects jumbled. Semester one isn't hard. It might seem really hard but I doubt many had a hard time passing. If you do fail (get under a 70%), you have to go before a board and they decide what to do (look at all your grades, you can explain yourself, etc.). This is really rare. I'm assuming <5% of the class faces this situation. Now to be real, 5 students from last years class failed out and are retaking the year with our class. I think 1 failed 1st semester and 4 failed the 2nd semester. The second semester is ridiculously hard just because of one class- internal medicine. There are no wrong answers per se, it's knowing what's best given a situation, etc. Now our last exam the internal med average was 66% which meant 60-70% of the class failed it. I have friends who got high grades on it- it's just cause it's a different way of testing. Scoring low on internal med tho the first time around is normal (every year the average on the first cardio internal med exam is 60-70%). It does become straightforward and I'd say very few are worried about failing now that we've gotten used to it.

Another thing- 30 on MCAT and 4.0 GPA.. all of that stuff doesn't matter. Everyone here works hard... really hard. Like studying all day every day hard. It's different than undergrad. I mean sure there are a few people who get 100%s on everything and probably got a 38 on the mcat (we have a few who did and are from ivy league schools). But for the average 3.7~ gpa 30~ MCAT person (which is the majority), expect to work super hard and study smart. If you put in the time, watch lectures enough, etc., you will pass, and yes passing is all you should be worrying about. Grades here are almost irrelevant. Your board score makes up 75% of what residencies take into consideration when applying. Also, to put things in perspective, my GPA for the 1st semester was an 85% (had all As and Bs) and my class ranking was 40th percentile. Yeah.. I thought I was doing great cause I did well on all my block exams but everyone here is smart and you have to face reality that grades don't really matter, just do the time and you will be able to become whatever doctor you want to become (if you pass :p)."

UPDATE

Thanks for the information, it clarified a lot! I also looked over the blog in your signature. So since 65% failed, does that mean that those 65% of students get like a week to retake the portion that they failed?

"No, unfortunately since it wasn't the first exam in that subject you are stuck with a 65% which means you have 4 more tests and final to get your grade over a 70% so it's not condemning by any means. It's your grade at the end of the semester that determines if you have to go to the board, etc."

Also for those that repeat first year, do they have to take everything over or only the parts they failed?

"You have to retake the entire year even if you just failed one class. Since that class is only taught once a year, also another year of tuition will have to be paid."

Does KCOM do a 3 year pre-clinical (like DMU) where if you fail then you can spread out the pre-clinicals into 3 years?

"Not sure what you're talking about with DMU - if you fail, you have to repeat that year all over again (aka join the next year's class) If you could get good grades in UG, then you can handle med school. It's more about how hard and persistent you are at studying. The material usually isn't hard to understand, it's just a lot of it. They beat it like a dead horse sometimes too. I mean this block (3 weeks) we have 20 hours+ of lecture just on internal medicine of the heart. The whole time in internal med they're talking about the anat, phys, pharm, etc. So it's like you're studying for all the subjects at the same time. So if you study cardiology for 3 weeks you'll know a lot and that's generally enough to get you a good grade."

Does anyone have a sample or full class schedule for this past year? I would just like to see how the day is set up for most students.