A.T. Still University Kirksville (KCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Per the header above, anyone else going to be in K-town this week for interviews? I'm so excited! I must peruse this "pool" they speak of (longtime swimmer, and in the middle of MO....I'm all the more intrigued).

There's a pool people talk about?!? Also a long-time swimmer - could be a selling point for me :) ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's included in your tuition, the aquatic center and the Truman gym. I could be wrong.

so does the admissions committee only meet on Tuesdays to decide on interview invites? It seems like that would be a long meeting? I'm just a little confused on how that would work, does anyone know?:confused:

question: how did you guys get from the hotel to the school on interview day? taxi, rental car, shuttle service (if so, what hotel)?

question: how did you guys get from the hotel to the school on interview day? taxi, rental car, shuttle service (if so, what hotel)?

I stayed at Days inn and had a rental car. The hotel was about a 5-7 mins drive to school.

I stayed at Days inn and had a rental car. The hotel was about a 5-7 mins drive to school.

I stayed at Holiday inn and had a rental car. They might have a shuttle, I would call an check. 5min drive to the school.

thanks for the quick response, guys! called 2 hotels they all said to take a taxi lol. the problem is that I am looking at flights into kirksville and don't want to pay the extra $100 to connect from st. louis if im going to rent a car anyway, then i would just rent one in st. louis and drive to kirksville. what do you guys think? or take the taxis around? i kinda wanna explore the town some too

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the quick response, guys! called 2 hotels they all said to take a taxi lol. the problem is that I am looking at flights into kirksville and don't want to pay the extra $100 to connect from st. louis if im going to rent a car anyway, then i would just rent one in st. louis and drive to kirksville. what do you guys think? or take the taxis around? i kinda wanna explore the town some too

if you want to explore the town, then you should rent a car. I had back to back interviews at KCUMB and KCOM. I flew into Kansas city, drove to kirksville, then drove back to kansas to catch my returning flight and return my car. The flights in Kirksville were much more expensive than they were in Kansas city. Also, there were hardly any rental car companies at the airport in Kirksville.

if im going to rent a car anyway, then i would just rent one in st. louis and drive to kirksville. what do you guys think? or take the taxis around? i kinda wanna explore the town some too

this is exactly what i did :thumbup:

I am terrified of flying in the first place to I wanted to completely avoid flying in to Kirksville directly on that prop plane. Luckily I had an interview at DMU the day before and was able to just drive from DM (3 hours)

Wherever it is cheapest for you to fly in to KC, STL or DM I would go there, Kirksville is about a 3 hour drive from all of them.

Did anyone get to stay with a student ambassador on the night before the interview? How is the school going to let us know whether they were able to match the interviewee with a student? Any feedback would be appreciated.

The student ambassador will contact you directly to make arrangements. It is a great option because it is free and you get an in depth look at student life. The student ambassadors are only meant to act like a hotel- but many of them (if they are able) are more than happy to pick you up from the Kirksville airport, take you around town, feed you, and get you to your interview in the morning. The only catch is that the student ambassador housing is only for the interviewing student- not for friends/family- so if its just you coming out to Kirksville, this is a fun option!

The student ambassador will contact you directly to make arrangements. It is a great option because it is free and you get an in depth look at student life. The student ambassadors are only meant to act like a hotel- but many of them (if they are able) are more than happy to pick you up from the Kirksville airport, take you around town, feed you, and get you to your interview in the morning. The only catch is that the student ambassador housing is only for the interviewing student- not for friends/family- so if its just you coming out to Kirksville, this is a fun option!

Thank you, cowspot83. I was little bit worried since my ii is soon approaching but I guess I will wait for the call.

Thank you, cowspot83. I was little bit worried since my ii is soon approaching but I guess I will wait for the call.

I never got a call so this isn't something that is 100%. Plan out staying at a hotel just in case.

When is your interview? I heard from a student a week before mine. If you still haven't heard anything and it's coming up really soon email Angela James, application coordinator: [email protected]

So all we need to secure our seat as of December 15th is the deposit and the agreement they mailed right?

Sent from my iPhone via SDN App
If I do recall that is correct, but also get the background check done.

Ambassadors sign up to host students when they can- and they have to host the same gender- so sometimes (rarely) there aren't enough ambassadors to host the number of student requests. The student ambassadors try really hard to make sure everyone has a place to stay if they asked, and they will let you know if they can't find a place for you. Be sure to check your emails and spam folder along with your voicemails- the student may contact you in a variety of ways :)

Does anyone know if the ADCOM met today? I was anxiously awaiting the phone call but didn't get any love... Any acceptances today?

Does anyone know if the ADCOM met today? I was anxiously awaiting the phone call but didn't get any love... Any acceptances today?

I'm pretty sure the ADCOM meets on Tuesdays if I'm not mistaken.

When is your interview? I heard from a student a week before mine. If you still haven't heard anything and it's coming up really soon email Angela James, application coordinator: [email protected]

@cowspot83 and @callmefanny - thanks again. ii is on dec 10. will wait few more days and will give her a call. alternatively, will make other plans too.

Interview tomorrow, I look forward to it tremendously.

I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel, from the holiday inn to the school, and back, and then took a taxi to the Amtrak station in La Plata. It probably cost about 45 dollars total. I called "Rite Away" Taxi and she (yes one person) was prompt and really cool. Set fares, no meter. PM me if you want her phone number.

The twin-prop cessna was awesome btw :p

Good luck tomorrow. Relax and be confident. Say hi to us in the anatomy lab when you tour.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using SDN Mobile

I just got an email from Donna Sparks. It said that the admin committee is withholding from making a decision until January 21st. This was not really the answer I was looking BUT it's not the worst thing that could happen. This was post-interview.

Is this the same thing as being on the wait list? Anybody know what the movement is like after the first deposit date? I loved the slow paced feel of Kirksville and would love to move my family there!

I just got an email from Donna Sparks. It said that the admin committee is withholding from making a decision until January 21st. This was not really the answer I was looking BUT it's not the worst thing that could happen. This was post-interview.

Is this the same thing as being on the wait list? Anybody know what the movement is like after the first deposit date? I loved the slow paced feel of Kirksville and would love to move my family there!
Most of the time when people got that e-mail last cycle they ended up being put on the "accepted pending seat" list, which meant that they could possibly get into the current class or the next. There is a good deal of movement between the 1st and 2nd deposits though, I don't know that it affects the accepted pending list though. Fingers crossed for you.

any interview invites lately? I was complete October 18th, and still waiting...anyone else complete around that time?:)

Most of the time when people got that e-mail last cycle they ended up being put on the "accepted pending seat" list, which meant that they could possibly get into the current class or the next. There is a good deal of movement between the 1st and 2nd deposits though, I don't know that it affects the accepted pending list though. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks dntke!! I hope there is enough movement to allow my butt to squeeze in!

I'm interviewing here on Thursday. My flight leaves Thursday at 3:50pm. Is this going to be enough time to get to the airport after the interview? Also, does the school have anywhere where we can put our luggage and stuff during the day?

Got a handwritten card from one of my interviewers congratulating me. Very cool.

What time of the does KCOM usually call for ii?

I got an email late at night, 12:30/1:00 ish

Me too, from the physician that interviewed me. Nice touch KCOM ;)

Even if i were to get in by some miracle, I doubt I'll get a letter from the doc who interviewed me since he insinuated I wasn't ready for the rigor of medical school :(

Even if i were to get in by some miracle, I doubt I'll get a letter from the doc who interviewed me since he insinuated I wasn't ready for the rigor of medical school :(

really? that's kind of rude/sad:( if you got an interview, obviously the admissions committee thought otherwise:)

I didn't receive a phone call. I got an email around 9 o'clock at night.

oh good point. I only got called because they saw I was in Missouri and had an interview slot open that week. the email showed up at night.

oh come on now, so did mine at one point. the very same one that wrote me this card lol.

really? that's kind of rude/sad:( if you got an interview, obviously the admissions committee thought otherwise:)

Yeah it was a little sad but I guess it's not uncommon for interviewers to point out faults in your application. Perhaps he was testing me. I wonder if I "passed" lol

oh come on now, so did mine at one point. the very same one that wrote me this card lol.

That's encouraging :)

The note was deft a nice touch. Made me feel warm and cuddly inside.