ATSU-KCOM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got the interview e-mail! scheduled for 10-22

Members don't see this ad.

All my clinical experience has been volunteering and shadowing. The whole section is blank. Also, I have some volunteering that can be verified, but most of my volunteering (Ronald McDonald House, I take meals to up to four families each week, etc) are on my primary. Will they not even look at that?

Help!

All my clinical experience has been volunteering and shadowing. The whole section is blank. Also, I have some volunteering that can be verified, but most of my volunteering (Ronald McDonald House, I take meals to up to four families each week, etc) are on my primary. Will they not even look at that?

Help!
Just remember, the good thing about Osteopathic Schools is that they look at your whole picture. Any deficiencies you have in one section of the supplemental can be easily corrected by positives in another. Don't worry...Get your interview, and WOW them there...

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else interviewing on the 9th planning on flying?
I am planning into flying into STL on the 8th, renting a car to drive north to arrive in Kirksville in the afternoon. Then leaving for STL after the interview. If anyone wants to plan on flying into STL as well and riding up together to split the costs of the rental, let me know.

Just got an interview email. I'll be scheduling it shortly! Pretty excited since this is my first of the cycle. Good luck to everyone!

I've got a 23 MCAT, ~3.5GPA overall and ~3.4 Science GPA...SHould I even bother applying?

I was wondering if anyone here is interviewing with me on Oct 2.

I'm on the 15th, anyone else? Did that so I dont have to miss class and all.

I've got a 23 MCAT, ~3.5GPA overall and ~3.4 Science GPA...SHould I even bother applying?
Absolutely, I was told once by an admissions councillor that ATSU will offer interviews with a 23 or better...

I'm interviewing on October 22nd. Where is everyone planning to stay or where have you stayed during prior interviews? I was thinking either Super 8 or Comfort Inn.

Take this data with a grain of salt, but I wanted to know what SDNers recieved interview invites to KCOM last year, and how many of them got accepted. So I looked at last years KCOM thread and this is what I compiled. . .yes, a bit dorky of me I know!

68 interview invites

27 acceptances
2 rejected
3 withdrawn
5 accepted pending seat waitlist
2 alternate waitlist
29 no response

Again, I probably would not look into these numbers too much. . .ahhh, I am so excited for this interview though! I hate that it is still just over a month away!

Take this data with a grain of salt, but I wanted to know what SDNers recieved interview invites to KCOM last year, and how many of them got accepted. So I looked at last years KCOM thread and this is what I compiled. . .yes, a bit dorky of me I know!

68 interview invites

27 acceptances
2 rejected
3 withdrawn
5 accepted pending seat waitlist
2 alternate waitlist
29 no response

Again, I probably would not look into these numbers too much. . .ahhh, I am so excited for this interview though! I hate that it is still just over a month away!
woo hoo

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so anyone book flights yet? my interviews on the 19th monday and i tried booking a flight for the 18th and... no matches came up. is this my worst nightmare? is kirksville that small of a town that its airport doesnt have any flights on that day? OH NO!! wtf am i gunna do? book a flight for two days earlier and do WHAT? IN KIRKSVILLE? walk around? (sorry no offensive to kirks-villains).

ok so anyone book flights yet? my interviews on the 19th monday and i tried booking a flight for the 18th and... no matches came up. is this my worst nightmare? is kirksville that small of a town that its airport doesnt have any flights on that day? OH NO!! wtf am i gunna do? book a flight for two days earlier and do WHAT? IN KIRKSVILLE? walk around? (sorry no offensive to kirks-villains).

I'll be there on Friday, though I opted to fly into Kansas City and drive to Kirksville. It's funny that Kirksville is almost equidistant from three major cities/airports. Either way, it's going to be a three hour drive. Also, when I looked, flying directly into Kirksville was going to be a bit more expensive.

you're going to rent a car? how much does that cost?

For those who have attended interviews already and those who have an interview scheduled here in the near future, what hotel did you stay at or do you plan to stay?

I'd fly into the closest (cheapest) big airport and rent a car. It always makes me comfortable to know I have a car so I can get where I need to go when I need to be there.

i don't know if someone has said this already, but you can book a flight from STL or (i think) Kansas City to the Kirksville Airport. Info is on the ATSU website. it's not too cheap, but i, for one, don't want to rent a car, so it's worth it for convienance sake to look into

Had an interview earlier today thought it went well... posted feedback. I really liked the OMT lab. Since OMT is pushed very hard at KCOM they said they have higher COMLEX scores because all the OMT questions are written by the professors from Kirksville. The A.T. Still museum inside of the school was really cool.

i don't know if someone has said this already, but you can book a flight from STL or (i think) Kansas City to the Kirksville Airport. Info is on the ATSU website. it's not too cheap, but i, for one, don't want to rent a car, so it's worth it for convienance sake to look into

You can book a flight from STL (St. Louis) and fly into Kirksville directly (IRK is the Regional Airport there). It is about $100 round trip through Air Choice One, but if you have issues with flying in a tiny 6-seater plane, then maybe you should rent a car. The flight is only about an hour. The airport is about a 10-minute drive from the campus. The taxi charges $13 PER PERSON, not per trip to/from the airport. Fortunately for me my student ambassador picked me up from the airport, but couldn't take me the day I left. The closest large airport is in Columbia, which according to the students there, is 90 miles away.

I just had my interview on Thursday. I highly recommend staying with a student ambassador, either the night before or the night after your interview, or even both if they let you. They are GREAT about answering questions and giving you an idea of what it's like being a student there. Strong academics, emphasis on OMM/OTM/OMT (they use all of these acronyms), and there is an emphasis on health and wellness for oneself (intramurals, fitness facilities, clubs, support systems). Cost of living is extremely affordable, and Kirksville is clean and safe, though quite small (note: not for everyone). Remember that you are only there for two years, unless you choose to stay for all four. They have agreements with numerous cities which allow you to finish your final clerkship years somewhere else.

My interview was very positive, and involved two hour-long one-on-one interviews, and a 15-minute interview with an admissions officer. My interviewers were friendly and conversational, and I had a strong feeling that they were really interested in getting to know me, not grill me under pressure by firing questions for the entire hour. The tour afterwards was excellent, given by more student ambassadors who were awesome. I highly recommend this school!

Last edited:
I have my interview on Nov. 23. What's the weather like then? Would I have to drive in the snow if I rent a car?

Why not, who's to say they won't like you. KCOM is known for looking at students for who they are and not the numbers that make the student. GOod luck

Has anyone who has had an interview thus far, flown into Columbia instead of St. Louis or Kansas City and driven to Kirksville? It's a shorter drive on paper, but from what I can tell, most people who drive, tend to do so from St. Louis.

Has anyone who has had an interview thus far, flown into Columbia instead of St. Louis or Kansas City and driven to Kirksville? It's a shorter drive on paper, but from what I can tell, most people who drive, tend to do so from St. Louis.

I am from St. Louis and of course drove... and there is only one route to the school and its through Columbia. (Stl west to columbia north and east to kirksville) if u can fly in to Columbia it will save you 2 hrs of driving.

I am from St. Louis and of course drove... and there is only one route to the school and its through Columbia. (Stl west to columbia north and east to kirksville) if u can fly in to Columbia it will save you 2 hrs of driving.

thanks!!

Just got my invite for December 7th!

Travel arrangements are going to be interesting...

is anyone going to take the train by any chance? im flying in on the 18th hoping to use amtrak to get as opposed to renting a car.

kayla- I interviewed on 10/1. The interview day seemed so long, and be ready to do a lot of walking. The interviews themselves are laid back and conversational. The other interviewees I talked to had the same type of experience. You have two 1-hr interviews with faculty (I had one with an Anesthesiologist and a Biochemistry professor) and a 30 min interview with an admissions officer. I was surprised how well each one of my interviewers knew my file. The M.D. quoted a few lines from an LOR from the top of his head so I was impressed by his prep work. The first 2 interviews were very conversational, and my M.D. interview just felt like I was having a casual talk with someone. The interview with the admissions officer is a bit more formal, bu still pretty relaxed. Have good reason as to why you want to be a D.O. and why KCOM. They have nice facilities and a lot of resources for the students, but I don't know if this school is for me. One thing that is nice is that you don't have to worry about setting up rotations, but some people like the flexibility in doing it on their own tho. but overall, I'd say relax, be yourself, know your application well, have a few questions prepared for the Dean and your interviewers, have solid reasons for why KCOM, and don't be afraid to express your concerns for living in Kirksville. They are very good at selling Kirksville to those who are apprehensive about living in the middle of nowhere.

Well, ladies and gentlemen, interviewed Friday 10/2 and accepted Wednesday 10/7!

Just got "the call" from Donna Sparks in admissions.

Good luck to the rest of you!:thumbup:

Congrats Roberie! I called after I saw your post and found that I am rejected! I am surprised because my interviews went well...I'm not crushed but being my first rejection, it does sting a little. It's a good school, but I didn't get the same feeling I got when I interviewed at LECOM-Bradenton. I think I'm going to cancel all but 1 interview now. Visiting KCOM helped me realize how much more I like LECOM-B. Good luck to all of you!

Congrats Roberie! I called after I saw your post and found that I am rejected! I am surprised because my interviews went well...I'm not crushed but being my first rejection, it does sting a little. It's a good school, but I didn't get the same feeling I got when I interviewed at LECOM-Bradenton. I think I'm going to cancel all but 1 interview now. Visiting KCOM helped me realize how much more I like LECOM-B. Good luck to all of you!

Sorry to hear about KCOM. At least it seems to have worked out for the best anyhow.

Got the call from Lauren in admissions around 1 today.

If you join Hertz #1 Club, which is free, you can WAIVE THE UNDERAGE FEE with PC# 136776 through November 30, 2009. You can also add the AAA CDP for a nice discount. Right now Hertz also offers free #1 Gold with no underage fee included in the CDP. This means you can also use a different coupon (PC) for even better value.

Hello all!

I'm currently a first year student at KCOM and I would be willing to answer any questions you guys may have. I might not be able to answer everything, but I'll do my best!

is anybody else having a hard time getting a flight out the day of the interview? i am coming from salt lake city, utah and the latest flight the day of the interview (26th) from kansas city is at 6:58pm, but the interview day is supposed to last until 3 pm. anybody else in the same situation?

is anybody else having a hard time getting a flight out the day of the interview? i am coming from salt lake city, utah and the latest flight the day of the interview (26th) from kansas city is at 6:58pm, but the interview day is supposed to last until 3 pm. anybody else in the same situation?

hey! yea!! i had the same problem. i ended up deciding to stay the night and leave the next morning. figured it was better than running like a banshee to the airport and risk not making it. too stressful. but now i have figure out hotel arrangements for the night...so yea...that's the down side.

accepted earlier today. interviewed monday.

great turnaround.