ATSU/KCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I understand, and I agree with you. Only if you truly have clinical experience should it be listed. I just wanted to point out that it is possible to have a job which is clerical in nature, but that would also be noteworthy as clinical experience.

I agree. I was just taking a jab at those who try to spin their experiences as clinical when its very obviously not. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my KCOM secondary! and first secondary for DO schools!

Questions -- is it OK if I don't give the evaluation forms to my recommenders? They seemed... pretty silly. And i didn't really like the questions.

And can I only send it two recommendations? Is a recommendation from an MD that I did research for academic credit with OK? Or should I send in a old recommendation from a former employer (and also an MD)

thanks!! :D

... and why I can explain why DO... I have no really "experience/exposures" for why DO -- outside of some shadowing... which didn't seem all that special. this is going to be tricky.

This seems like a long shot seeing as I was told by the admissions office that last year only 5 people applied for the early admission program but is there anyone else on here that applied for the early admissions program this year? I'm feeling pretty lonely! :rolleyes: If so, have you heard back about an interview yet? Still kinda early but you never know...

Members don't see this ad :)

Questions -- is it OK if I don't give the evaluation forms to my recommenders? They seemed... pretty silly. And i didn't really like the questions.

And can I only send it two recommendations? Is a recommendation from an MD that I did research for academic credit with OK? Or should I send in a old recommendation from a former employer (and also an MD)

I don't think the evaluation form is required. I never use them at any school (only school I was going to do it at was MSUCOM because they require it, but I'm no longer applying there).

Also, I definitely sent more than 2... I sent 5 letters to pretty much everywhere because mine are sent out from my undergrad university's Reference Letter Service in a letter packet, so it's kind of hard to send individual letters. If they don't read all of them... so be it. lol.

... and why I can explain why DO... I have no really "experience/exposures" for why DO -- outside of some shadowing... which didn't seem all that special. this is going to be tricky.

I don't have much either: I wrote about my experience working with a DO on a one-week medical mission trip and then about the fact that my primary care doc is a DO because I've discussed osteopathic medicine with her a few times. I talked about these experiences being the ones that introduced me to osteopathic medicine and led me to research the profession more.

I heard back about the early admission program interviews! So normal admission should be hearing back soon if they didn't hear today... Good luck to all!:D

Did they send an email that specifically said something about being complete?

Kind of. They sent an email that said they've received my secondary application and materials. And then they provided a link and a confirmation code for me to check my status, which marked as received (dates).

I need a little advice, please. I am just now wrapping up my secondary essays for KCOM, but don't have a DO LOR yet. However, I do have 1 science professor and 1 employer already verified in Interfolio. Should I go ahead and submit with these two letters or wait until I get my DO letter (who happens to be a KCOM alum with a family friend on the admissions committee)?

I need a little advice, please. I am just now wrapping up my secondary essays for KCOM, but don't have a DO LOR yet. However, I do have 1 science professor and 1 employer already verified in Interfolio. Should I go ahead and submit with these two letters or wait until I get my DO letter (who happens to be a KCOM alum with a family friend on the admissions committee)?

I would wait for the DO letter if your going to send them electronically, that way the doctor only needs to send the letter once. Otherwise he would need to personally send it to every school himself and I wouldn't trust one person to do that on time.

I would wait for the DO letter if your going to send them electronically, that way the doctor only needs to send the letter once. Otherwise he would need to personally send it to every school himself and I wouldn't trust one person to do that on time.

:confused: You can send the first letters, have the DO send to interfolio and then send an update letter via interfolio... it will just come in two deliveries and cost extra....

My secondary has been submitted for over a month, and I called 2 weeks ago to confirm that my application was complete. The woman I spoke with told me that they had everything they needed from me. My online status still shows that they haven't received everything but I'm not worried about it.

My secondary has been submitted for over a month, and I called 2 weeks ago to confirm that my application was complete. The woman I spoke with told me that they had everything they needed from me. My online status still shows that they haven't received everything but I'm not worried about it.

Shows they haven't received everything even after putting in your confirmation code thing that allows you to view? I'd call again just to follow up, but thats just me.

Members don't see this ad :)
So just to confirm...
The way people are finding out they are complete at KCOM is by the status check and seeing everything marked as "received"...as opposed to a "you are complete" email from admissions...?

That's correct!

Shows they haven't received everything even after putting in your confirmation code thing that allows you to view? I'd call again just to follow up, but thats just me.

When I enter my confirmation code I receive an error message which says, "IE cannot display this page at the moment." I have been getting this same error message for the last 2 weeks on various computers.

I called this morning and the woman I spoke with assured me that my application was complete in its entirety, even though their online system was not confirming this fact. She told me to sit back and wait =D

anyone knows when we will hear something from KCOM about interview invitation?

Am I the only one that feels like my answer to question #1 makes me look like an arrogant ass? It just seems like I'm boasting about myself. Are they looking for justification for your qualities? because that seems hard to provide.

How are you guys approaching questions like these. Are they looking for specific experiences?

anyone knows when we will hear something from KCOM about interview invitation?

If your secondary is all complete and submitted you should be hearing pretty soon. If im not mistaken, interviews start in September and they usually give you at least 2 weeks to arrange for travel depending on the date you select for your interview (I highly recommend the earliest date offered). Good luck

KCOM C/O 2014

If your secondary is all complete and submitted you should be hearing pretty soon. If im not mistaken, interviews start in September and they usually give you at least 2 weeks to arrange for travel depending on the date you select for your interview (I highly recommend the earliest date offered). Good luck

KCOM C/O 2014

Thank you, kopitar. I submitted the secondary + fee + LORs yesterday so I hope that my file is completed. Do they usually send out an email to tell you that yours are completed?

The ATStill SOMA just gave out interviews... I hope that Kirksville will soon do the same :D

The ATStill SOMA just gave out interviews... I hope that Kirksville will soon do the same :D

KCOM's first interviews take place the first week in October and they will have groups on Monday, Thursday, and Fridays. Good luck all.

Congrats!!! I read that you got the interview invite

(I posted this in the 2009-2010 thread because I am a silly person)

Interview invite today for sometime in October. I submitted my secondary 8/9. As an individual who doesn't really drive -- this is a rather tricky location to get to. I either convince my mom to go with me for a 6 hour drive OR try to get a pilot I know to fly me (much more expensive but he would be so happy). bah growing up in a city and never really needing to learn how to drive (and being too young to rent one for cheap)

thanks mdang86!

(I posted this in the 2009-2010 thread because I am a silly person)

Interview invite today for sometime in October. I submitted my secondary 8/9. As an individual who doesn't really drive -- this is a rather tricky location to get to. I either convince my mom to go with me for a 6 hour drive OR try to get a pilot I know to fly me (much more expensive but he would be so happy). bah growing up in a city and never really needing to learn how to drive (and being too young to rent one for cheap)

thanks mdang86!

Congrats!!!! Sucks that it is in October because until the end of September, AAA has coupons to waive the "under 25" fee for 21-24 year olds with Hertz rentals. That's what I'm using for most of my interview rental cars :)

EDIT: Also, did they call or email?

Congrats!!!! Sucks that it is in October because until the end of September, AAA has coupons to waive the "under 25" fee for 21-24 year olds with Hertz rentals. That's what I'm using for most of my interview rental cars :)

EDIT: Also, did they call or email?
They sent me an email.

They does suck about it being in October. I missed out on my first time to rent a car. :( It looks like my mom and me are driving out -- and KCOM asks if you are bringing guests, so she might even tag along (I totally feel like a lame high-schooler right now)

Just scheduled my interview for October 1st, super excited. Ps. Hertz is still dropping the under-25 fee into October if you ask so you don't have to worry about that if you're renting. Cheers :)

Can anybody give me a round about time it takes for them to confirm your secondary?

You guys are going to love it. KCOM is awesome. Let me know what days you're interviewing, any questions, etc.

Question...anyone who's letters were snail mailed...how long did it take for them to enter them into the system? I guess I should prob call them...

Hi, I have a question about the evaluation part...i clicked on the option "I voluntarily waive and relinquish my right of access to this evaluation"

than it shows forms to download and information about the ones that wrote your LORS...my LORS are at my undergrad in a file...so do i fill the information about the individuals or leave it blank and just sand all my LORS?

Can anybody give me a round about time it takes for them to confirm your secondary?

I called them the day after I submitted all my stuffs and they said it will take them roughly a week to send the confirm email.

Question...anyone who's letters were snail mailed...how long did it take for them to enter them into the system? I guess I should prob call them...

Forever!! Just kidding. Andrlynn said that she received my mailed letter on the 16th and she will input it into the computer today or tomorrow. She had told me on the phone that she is about a week behind. Interfolio is definitely the way to go, unless your evaluator was a graduate of said school (which mine was), then I think it is worth the wait.

Hi, I have a question about the evaluation part...i clicked on the option "I voluntarily waive and relinquish my right of access to this evaluation"

than it shows forms to download and information about the ones that wrote your LORS...my LORS are at my undergrad in a file...so do i fill the information about the individuals or leave it blank and just sand all my LORS?

I think when you deposited all of your letters into your undergraduate file, you signed a form relinquishing your rights to see the letters. I don't think you have to do anything (not even send the coversheets to your letter writers). I think by law they have to ask you to allow them to deny access to your letters so that they get an objective evaluation.

I think when you deposited all of your letters into your undergraduate file, you signed a form relinquishing your rights to see the letters. I don't think you have to do anything (not even send the coversheets to your letter writers). I think by law they have to ask you to allow them to deny access to your letters so that they get an objective evaluation.

Yeah, the same law that grants you privacy regarding your grades, etc also allows you access to letters of recommendation and other things regarding your file. To protect the integrity of the confidential letter of recommendation, the schools ask you to waive your rights to view the letters.

ok but in the secondary it asks information about your writers such as address etc...do i fill that out or leave it blank?

Forever!! Just kidding. Andrlynn said that she received my mailed letter on the 16th and she will input it into the computer today or tomorrow. She had told me on the phone that she is about a week behind. Interfolio is definitely the way to go, unless your evaluator was a graduate of said school (which mine was), then I think it is worth the wait.

Good...I guess I won't call and harass them quite yet because they probably got mine about the same time. Interfolio is the definitely the way to go...I went as far as to sign up and pay and then my undergrad pretty much refused to use it. They said that since they're a small school they prefer to mail them and personalize each letter. This sounds nice but it's been more of a pain getting everything where it has to be.

ok but in the secondary it asks information about your writers such as address etc...do i fill that out or leave it blank?

I would fill it in. I think this is more so that they know which letters are coming? That is just a guess. I would just fill it in. I had one of my letters sent via interfolio, and one sent via snail mail and when I called the other day, they didn't seem to care. Hope this helps.

Good...I guess I won't call and harass them quite yet because they probably got mine about the same time. Interfolio is the definitely the way to go...I went as far as to sign up and pay and then my undergrad pretty much refused to use it. They said that since they're a small school they prefer to mail them and personalize each letter. This sounds nice but it's been more of a pain getting everything where it has to be.

I've been out of undergrad for a few years, so I just avoided my pre-med office completely. It seems to be working out okay so far. That stinks that they want to send it all via the mail. I think now that interfolio has taken off, they are hiring less people to process the mail, which results in longer wait times. You can call her and ask if she has it, she is really nice. They will let you know either way.

I will let you know when my file actually comes complete (the lady told me that she had it and that it would be uploaded today or tomorrow), that way you know when it should appear for you...

Hey guys - My online status still does not show the receipt of my letters even though I have been complete for nearly a month. I called twice and both times they assured me I was complete. I also emailed admissions yesterday and got this reply:

"I assure you that I have complete your application. You can try viewing your status in a different web browser. Sorry that you are having trouble with the system."

So even if the status page doesn't show that your application is complete, it still may be. Just thought I would share. :D

Hey guys - My online status still does not show the receipt of my letters even though I have been complete for nearly a month. I called twice and both times they assured me I was complete. I also emailed admissions yesterday and got this reply:

"I assure you that I have complete your application. You can try viewing your status in a different web browser. Sorry that you are having trouble with the system."

So even if the status page doesn't show that your application is complete, it still may be. Just thought I would share. :D

Are you putting the pin number in that they gave you? When you put the pin in and submit it, the dates change to reflect the most recent status.

Are you putting the pin number in that they gave you? When you put the pin in and submit it, the dates change to reflect the most recent status.

the pin number is in the confirm email right?

I would fill it in. I think this is more so that they know which letters are coming? That is just a guess. I would just fill it in. I had one of my letters sent via interfolio, and one sent via snail mail and when I called the other day, they didn't seem to care. Hope this helps.

thank you, i will send all my letters hope they don't mind

When I put my PIN in I get an internal service error message. I've tried it on various browsers and I know I'm using the correct PIN. :confused: Oh well. Please interview me kcom!

Interview invite. Got the email at 12:17 AM my time, so 1:17 AM Kirksville time...a bit random.

Interview invite. Got the email at 12:17 AM my time, so 1:17 AM Kirksville time...a bit random.

:thumbup: Congrats. I want an interview at KCOM. Seems like such a good school and everyone that goes there seems to fall in love.

Hey, I just joined SDN but have been keeping up with it since last year because I actually applied last year. I was accepted to KCOM but the class was full so I have been guaranteed a seat in this class. I'm super excited and thought I would say hey to everyone. If you have any questions about interviewing, etc I have already done it so I will help ya if I can.