AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a call from the dean of AZCOM telling me that I have been accepted into the class of 2015! I'm super excited!! I thought they told us Friday that it would take a few weeks but I guess not. She asked which 3rd year rotation location I would like, I told her and she said it was mine. We'll see how the rest of the interviews go but so far this my top choice!

Members don't see this ad.

i just finished my interview day and i'm chilling at the airport now. overall i share the same opinions as bigboosting and sedaniel, they really presented themselves very well and i personally think its an awesome school. this is probably going to end up being like my top choice i think. the interviews it seemed went pretty well and pretty relaxed. for those interviewing in the future, i wouldnt be too stressed out about the interviews.

Just got a call from the dean of AZCOM telling me that I have been accepted into the class of 2015! I'm super excited!! I thought they told us Friday that it would take a few weeks but I guess not. She asked which 3rd year rotation location I would like, I told her and she said it was mine. We'll see how the rest of the interviews go but so far this my top choice!

Was any more info given about the rotation sites other than what they gave us the other day? And congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)

Same here, I was happy that they let us pick the site. Has your portal in mwu.net changed yet, because mine still hasn't?

Was any more info given about the rotation sites other than what they gave us the other day? And congrats!

Nope... she just repeated the sites and then asked which one i preferred and i told her and that was about it.

At the Comfort Inn right now just chilling...there are apparently 4 other AZCOM people here tonight so far. If anyone of you wanna split a pizza or something for dinner since there's nothing in walking distance shoot me a PM!

Nope... she just repeated the sites and then asked which one i preferred and i told her and that was about it.

do they give you a list of rotation sites at the interview? can i take a look at them online (if it's posted somewhere) by any chance?

when did you have the interview?

Hello everyone,

Where can I find out more information about clinical rotation site of Midwestern? They went very briefly about the rotation site in the interview today. Thanks and good luck everyone.

I think i'm staying there too! We should meet up for dinner or somthing.

Interviewing the 24th... Anyone else on the same day book their hotel yet? I'm looking at the drury deal Midwestern offered and it actually looks pretty legit.

Interviewing the 24th... Anyone else on the same day book their hotel yet? I'm looking at the drury deal Midwestern offered and it actually looks pretty legit.

I pricelined a hotel, I'm ~15 minutes from campus but it only cost me 40 after taxes.

Members don't see this ad :)

They are having you pick your 3/4th year rotation sites when you get accepted!? That is kinda cool actually. I'd love to be able to know where my 3rd/4th years will be before 2nd year so I wouldn't have to stress.

They are having you pick your 3/4th year rotation sites when you get accepted!? That is kinda cool actually. I'd love to be able to know where my 3rd/4th years will be before 2nd year so I wouldn't have to stress.

Yes but it isn't really that you get to pick wherever you want, you are assigned a location (I believe if you want to request a different one for family reasons or something like that they will work with you).

I find it odd that the committee would meet during the second day of interviews and only one person was called regarding their acceptance...

Yes but it isn't really that you get to pick wherever you want, you are assigned a location (I believe if you want to request a different one for family reasons or something like that they will work with you).

I find it odd that the committee would meet during the second day of interviews and only one person was called regarding their acceptance...

There have been two of us that have commented on here that have received the call so far and I'm sure the other one(s) just haven't commented. She said that they asked each of the 3 committees to rank their top candidate from their group that day and then those are the ones that she called.

Interesting. I'll have to figure out the rotation thing after they talk to us about it on Friday. Pretty stoked about the interview, I am driving out there in 2 days. Hopefully this one goes better than Bradenton :laugh:

I also find it kind of odd that only 2 people were called and both have <10 posts. Also that they'd meet with so few people to review. Then again, LECOM met after only 3 interview days so its entirely possible.

Interview went great, at the airport now waiting for my flight :thumbup:

I also find it kind of odd that only 2 people were called and both have <10 posts. Also that they'd meet with so few people to review. Then again, LECOM met after only 3 interview days so its entirely possible.

You guys are so SDN jaded... I am going to believe the hype and say congrats to those of you that got acceptances already! :)

Hopefully mine will be coming soon, though I am sad to know that my interview wasn't the best out of my group :laugh: But I should have realized that when one of the interviewers asked me if I was controlling after one of my replies! Ouch. The question was "what is the most selfish part of medicine for you" and I said that I like the decision making part of medicine, making medical decisions for my patients is something that I will enjoy... Should have worded that differently it seems...

You guys are so SDN jaded... I am going to believe the hype and say congrats to those of you that got acceptances already! :)

Hopefully mine will be coming soon, though I am sad to know that my interview wasn't the best out of my group :laugh: But I should have realized that when one of the interviewers asked me if I was controlling after one of my replies! Ouch. The question was "what is the most selfish part of medicine for you" and I said that I like the decision making part of medicine, making medical decisions for my patients is something that I will enjoy... Should have worded that differently it seems...

Meh, I'm always skeptical of anything online. :laugh: I don't trust anything I read really, its not just SDN jaded, its just internet jaded. Until I see more people acknowledging something I don't normally believe it haha

Your answer seems honest and well intentioned, they may have just asked that in order to see how you would react. Did you make one of your fun lists of interview questions for this one? if so wanna e-mail me it ;) haha

I don't really know how I'd respond to that question, I would want to steer clear of the money issue, prestige may be my answer. People, including myself, hold doctors in high regard. I dunno... could be interpretted negatively too. I'll have to think about that one :laugh:

I am interviewing at AZCOM this Thursday. Anyone else interviewing this Thursday? If so I'll see you there! Personal message me if you'd like! And congrats to those who got called with acceptances! That is awesome and really amazing they called so fast! Congrats!

Any advice? Interesting questions? reviews? Get asked what kitchen appliance you'd be and why? :laugh:

All the questions they asked were pretty much on their interview feedback so there weren't any surprises. Seriously, if people read the old feedback they'd see that kitchen appliance question is on there like 5 times.

The interview's okay, not as laidback as people say it is, but still comfortable. My advice would be to be really comfortable just answering questions one after another, have someone close to you interview you as much as possible so that you have quick responses ready on the tip of your tongue. That will help with the stuttering or aimless wandering that happens sometimes.

Other than that the school itself is very good but I'm a bit bummed we didn't get to see the anatomy lab.

Meh, I'm always skeptical of anything online. :laugh: I don't trust anything I read really, its not just SDN jaded, its just internet jaded. Until I see more people acknowledging something I don't normally believe it haha

Your answer seems honest and well intentioned, they may have just asked that in order to see how you would react. Did you make one of your fun lists of interview questions for this one? if so wanna e-mail me it ;) haha

I don't really know how I'd respond to that question, I would want to steer clear of the money issue, prestige may be my answer. People, including myself, hold doctors in high regard. I dunno... could be interpretted negatively too. I'll have to think about that one :laugh:

For me it's just that they told us what would happen from this point forward, so why would they randomly call people up so early? They told us the committee wouldn't be meeting until next week. That and the fact that it happened DURING only their second day of interviews makes me wonder.

Other than that the school itself is very good but I'm a bit bummed we didn't get to see the anatomy lab.

We got to see the anatomy lab! Sucks for you! Haha. It was ok, just a bunch of cadavers laying around... You know, the normal cold sterile feeling with the oh so awesome chemical smell...

Brought to you by popular demand, my fun list of questions... :) You're welcome. :laugh: I highlighted the ones they asked me in red...

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine

About you

1.Have you ever failed in life?
2.Give me a biographical summary of yourself.
3.What do you do to relieve stress?
4.Who is your role model? In and out of medicine?
5.What was your favorite activity and why?
6.Are you self gratifying or self deprecating?
7.What is the single greatest act of kindness in your life?
8.How will you as a married student adjust to life at AZCOM?
9.If you have one redo in your life, what would it be and why?
10.What is your most difficult experience?
11.What is your pet peeve?
12.What is your least favorite class?
13.What is the most intense emotion you have ever had?
14.What makes you different than the rest of our applicants?
15.Who is your mentor and what is one thing that they said that shaped your life?
16.What qualities does your best friend have that you admire?
17.Top 3 movies of all time?
18.Besides friends and family, what makes you happy?
19.Tell me about your research.
20.What is your favorite book?
About medicine and DO
21.Why do you want to be a doctor?
22.What was the specific moment that made you want to become a physician?
23.Why DO?
24.What is your exposure to osteopathic medicine and OMM?
25.What would you do if you didn't get into med school this year?
26.What positive attributes will make you a good doctor? What weakness do you have that can affect your career? How have you improved in this area?
27.What is a selfish part of medicine that draws you to it?
28.Did you apply to MD schools? Why?
29.What is the difference between MD and DO?
30.What were you thinking on the way to the interview?
31.If you got into your top DO and top MD school, how would you choose?
32.How will you do in med school?
33.What doubts do you think you will have about practicing osteopathic medicine?
34.If healthcare was off the table, what profession would you choose?
35.what criteria will you use to pick your top school?
36.How do you see yourself interacting with the class?
About AZCOM
37.Why AZCOM?
38.What did you choose to come all the way to phoenix?
Ethical and hypothetical questions
39.If you could go anywhere after this interview with just the items you packed in your suitcase, where would you go?
40.What three people would you invite to dinner? One is a scientist, one is a political figure and one is an artist
41.When was the last time you cried? Is it ok to cry in front of a patient or not?
42.Lets say for whatever reason you are against abortion and your hospital tells you that you have to put your profession above your morals and perform one. What would you do?
43.Research versus patient care. Which would you choose?
44.What is your position on stem cell research?
45.What is an ethical dilemma you faced and how did you deal with it?
46.If you had a 14 year old boy in your office with his parents requesting you to give him growth hormones to make him bigger, what would you do?
47.What would you do if you caught someone cheating?
48.What is the biggest problem in healthcare today and what would you do to fix it?
49.If you had a superpower, what would it be?
50.What is the difference between empathy and sympathy? And can it be taught?
51.A patient researches a treatment that is not normal and wants it, but other physicians within your practice advise you not to use the treatment because of legal liability. How would you handle this situation?
52.What makes a successful person?
53.Is leadership the most important quality for an individual?
54.What rule have you ever broken in your life?
55.What is the greatest thing you can ever do for another human being as a doctor?
56.Should everyone have healthcare?
57.What is the hardest question you have received in an interview?
58.Do you know any jokes?
59.What would your ideal patient be like?
60.What do you do when a patient refuses to follow your advice?
61.At what point does determination become stubbornness?
62.What is an ethical issue that faces physicians today? How will you handle this situation?

In addition, they asked me specifically:
What is something that we dont know about you? I said that I like to bake and cook...

What will you do about patients not being able to pay for their services or what will you do about not being able to make enough money due to the insurance companies not paying you what you ask for? This was HARD. They wanted a solution from me, and all I could say was that not all people have insurance, and as a physician I would not refuse care to anyone, even if they can't pay. I also said there was really nothing I could do about insurance companies giving me what they want to, if I didnt want to deal with it I could be in a specialty that takes only cash for services, but I would never want to do that. My solution was that all physicians should work in some type of free clinic maybe once a month, this would cut down on many patients in your area coming to your office who are not able to pay for services... Sucky answer...

We see you have a lot of research experience, how will research play a role in your life as a physician? I said that I want to work on a campus and teach, do research and practice medicine when I become a physician... I also mentioned that DOs dont normally do research after they enter the real world of medicine, so this is something that is unique about me... Im sorry, but its true... I backed it up with my past experiences at TCOM...

Last edited:
For me it's just that they told us what would happen from this point forward, so why would they randomly call people up so early? They told us the committee wouldn't be meeting until next week. That and the fact that it happened DURING only their second day of interviews makes me wonder.

haha... be as skeptical as you'd like but we are both accepted. dbdan, i didn't realize you had to have 1500 posts in order to be legit on sdn. some of us had other things to focus on over the years.

i'm sure you'll both say i made this myself but it was a cut and paste job. This is what my portal changed to yesterday:

Accepted Student Checklist [ - ] [ + ]
AZ: Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Needed
    • Deposit - $0.00, Due:
    • Matriculation Agreement
    • Technical Standards Form
    • Organic Chemistry - 2.00 Semester Hours
    • English - 3.00 Semester Hours

haha... be as skeptical as you'd like but we are both accepted. dbdan, i didn't realize you had to have 1500 posts in order to be legit on sdn. some of us had other things to focus on over the years.

i'm sure you'll both say i made this myself but it was a cut and paste job. This is what my portal changed to yesterday:

Accepted Student Checklist [ - ] [ + ]
AZ: Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine

• Needed
    • Deposit - $0.00, Due:
    • Matriculation Agreement
    • Technical Standards Form
    • Organic Chemistry - 2.00 Semester Hours
    • English - 3.00 Semester Hours

May I ask which group/panel you were in? I just wonder because you said it was the best out of each group, and I am curious to see who was the best out of my group... I am going to guess that your name is Bradley... but I don't see that name on the list!

I noticed that Jskinny was from MI, so not in my group for sure... Hmm...

Last edited:
May I ask which group/panel you were in? I just wonder because you said it was the best out of each group, and I am curious to see who was the best out of my group... I am going to guess that your name is Bradley... but I don't see that name on the list!

I noticed that Jskinny was from MI, so not in my group for sure... Hmm...

That's just what the dean told me. and i don't know if that means 6 total were called from that day (3 from the first session and 3 from the second) or just 3, one from each panel. and no my name's not bradley... i just like To Kill a Mockingbird! haha

That's just what the dean told me. and i don't know if that means 6 total were called from that day (3 from the first session and 3 from the second) or just 3, one from each panel. and no my name's not bradley... i just like To Kill a Mockingbird! haha

I think it would be 3 people... If there were 6 then that would be a lot of quick acceptances for a group of 17! Where would that leave the rest of us! Eeek!

They told us that the committee meets Fridays (not necessarily that their first meeting was this Friday) and not to expect anything until next Friday or the one after, but I was in the second interview group, so I assume if you were in the first, they may have had some time to meet last Friday. They also mentioned that they review on a case by case basis, so everyone from one day of interviews might not be admitted/declined on the same Friday.

I'm internet jaded as well but if someone is taking the time and effort to make all of these replies, they deserve to troll me :)

Good luck everybody and congrats on the acceptances. I hope to be in your position in the next few days.

@ noshie: wow.... thats a lot of questions they ask. how long was the interview?? sounds like it was a pretty tough. i have an answer to some of those tougher questions but i think id prolly get caught off guard on some

@ noshie: wow.... thats a lot of questions they ask. how long was the interview?? sounds like it was a pretty tough. i have an answer to some of those tougher questions but i think id prolly get caught off guard on some

The interview was around 30 min... Some of those questions were follow up questions and just an off shoot of a larger question. There are 3 interviewers and the style is like a round robin type thing. Each interviewer probably asked me at least 5 questions, then there were some other questions thrown in. A TON of healthcare questions by the way... More than I was expecting. Tough ones too.

The more I think about this interview, the worse I think I did. This is my top DO school, and I went all out to make sure they knew that during my interview. They kept asking me what I would do if I got into AZCOM and TCOM, which would I choose... I told them it would be AZCOM, and I wasn't lying. I really like AZCOM, and if I get in then I will drop all of my other out of state interviews in a hot second and throw down a $1000 deposit without thinking twice! I will be super disappointed if I don't get an acceptance... :'( That's my sad face.

Last edited:
i think its natural to second guess yourself but dont let it get to u. i definitely felt that way coming out of my lecom interview. the more i thought about it, the more i kept thinking how bad i did.

but being your top school, it sounds like u really prepared for this interview and went over a lot of the questions. so im sure u did better than u think ;)

those are some tough questions and i dont think they really expect someone to have all the answers. especially in regards to "the biggest problem in health care and how would you fix it." i really hope u get in!

I have my interview in 3 weeks, and I am so exited as I consider it a top school for me!

Is it 30 minutes with each of the 3 interviews or is it one interview for 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance!

The more I think about this interview, the worse I think I did. This is my top DO school, and I went all out to make sure they knew that during my interview. They kept asking me what I would do if I got into AZCOM and TCOM, which would I choose... I told them it would be AZCOM, and I wasn't lying. I really like AZCOM, and if I get in then I will drop all of my other out of state interviews in a hot second and throw down a $1000 deposit without thinking twice! I will be super disappointed if I don't get an acceptance... :'( That's my sad face.

I'm going through the same thing. Right when I got out of the interview I texted my husband and said I thought I did fantastic. Each day of not hearing anything, I keep feeling less and less confident about it. Yesterday I was "they might let me in" and today I'm more "I don't think they'd ever let me in." But I'm right there with you...I want AZCOM, it's my top choice. So if I don't get in either, I'm going to be super bummed out. :(

I have my interview in 3 weeks, and I am so exited as I consider it a top school for me!

Is it 30 minutes with each of the 3 interviews or is it one interview for 30 minutes?

Thanks in advance!

One 30 min interview, but with 3 interviewers sitting across the table staring at you... They ask questions in order. Like interviewer one will ask a question, you answer, then interviewer two asks a question, you answer, and so on... But then ever so often after one of the interviewers question, another interviewer would ask a follow up question in response to your reply... It was a little intimidating at first, and they all have little laptops in front of them that they type on throughout the interview... But you get used to it...

i think its natural to second guess yourself but dont let it get to u. i definitely felt that way coming out of my lecom interview. the more i thought about it, the more i kept thinking how bad i did.

but being your top school, it sounds like u really prepared for this interview and went over a lot of the questions. so im sure u did better than u think ;)

those are some tough questions and i dont think they really expect someone to have all the answers. especially in regards to "the biggest problem in health care and how would you fix it." i really hope u get in!

I'm going through the same thing. Right when I got out of the interview I texted my husband and said I thought I did fantastic. Each day of not hearing anything, I keep feeling less and less confident about it. Yesterday I was "they might let me in" and today I'm more "I don't think they'd ever let me in." But I'm right there with you...I want AZCOM, it's my top choice. So if I don't get in either, I'm going to be super bummed out. :(

Thanks Traitor... :) You already have an acceptance, can't wait to be on your side of the fence soon! I hope! I'm glad I am not the only one that feels this way... It seems like it will be such a short wait, but I am feeling tortured right now.

Noshie, thank you for the list of questions! This will be really helpful. I'm sure you did well on your interview. Don't worry!

Hello, this is my first post on SDN. Just spoke to AZCOM and was told that it takes a 27 to 28 MCAT score for them not to screen people out. Isn't this a little steep? Some M.D. schools ask for that score. English is not my first language and the verbal section is killing me. I'd pay $1,000s and do anything just to get over this hump on the road as everything else is unique on my app. Any thoughts are welcome. I respect you all very much.

Hello, this is my first post on SDN. Just spoke to AZCOM and was told that it takes a 27 to 28 MCAT score for them not to screen people out. Isn't this a little steep? Some M.D. schools ask for that score. English is not my first language and the verbal section is killing me. I'd pay $1,000s and do anything just to get over this hump on the road as everything else is unique on my app. Any thoughts are welcome. I respect you all very much.

Seeing as how the average is a 27, I'm guessing someone misinterpreted some information. Maybe they admissions person was talking about what a competitive score is. They definitely do not screen as high as a 27.

For verbal, I think the hardest part, especially for non english speakers, is reading into the prosody of the text. Hopefully a tutor can help there, but I would seriously consider reading a lot of poetry or emotional texts to help. The problem is, those kind of things take a long time to learn. There are some more basic strategies you can learn (very rarely is an always/never answer choice correct), but prosody imo is the biggie.

Hey guys.

I have an interview scheduled in January (I can make this date), but I was hoping for an earlier date. Should I just keep going back to the portal, clicking on "reschedule interview", and then seeing if earlier dates have opened up? Or do I need to contact someone in admissions to see if earlier dates have opened up? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Seeing as how the average is a 27, I'm guessing someone misinterpreted some information. Maybe they admissions person was talking about what a competitive score is. They definitely do not screen as high as a 27.

For verbal, I think the hardest part, especially for non english speakers, is reading into the prosody of the text. Hopefully a tutor can help there, but I would seriously consider reading a lot of poetry or emotional texts to help. The problem is, those kind of things take a long time to learn. There are some more basic strategies you can learn (very rarely is an always/never answer choice correct), but prosody imo is the biggie.

Yes, I just ment that is a high number to have a shot at an interview even if you were from AZ and everything else = a great candidate for a shot at it. It seems as if an applicant doesn't have a high MCAT they will not look at your file. Sure, they take the sup fee, but then I have a feeling nothing else is looked into. As far as their view of the applicant as a "whole", I think that's a little story we can tell our future kids. I could not get my verbal beyond a 6. And for that to be an automatic swat, and not look into the rest of my app is something that makes me question the whole aspect of "Let's diversify our pool of physicians".

waitlisted for interview...

the pessimist in me thinks this is just a kind way to reject me

however,

the optimist in me is really happy that it's NOT a rejection!

I interviewed yesterday and it went great. Just waiting for the portal to change!

As others have said, that's considered an average score. Although it is preferable to have this score, I do not think AZCOM has it set in stone. I had a friend get an interview in mid-October last year with a 26. I would not worry too much. Good luck!

So just logged on to portal and found that I had been offered an interview. The next available date was January 11th:eek:

Get used to it as it's the AZCOM modus operandi and it makes perfect sense. If they tell you it will take a couple of weeks to find out a decision and you find out just days later, you're super excited to find out so early. If you don't find out anything for a couple of weeks, it seems normal and it saves the school the hassle of having a bunch of interviewed applicants calling at the start of week 2 post-interview "because they were told the committee was meeting later that week or early next." It seems like in general, the committee's top 3-6 candidates from each pool find out significantly sooner than everybody else, which means that usually there seems to be some people from one interview pool finding out they got in a week or two before other people in the same pool.

They don't filter out based on anything <27 because there are a number of people in the 2014 class with MCATs below that. Perhaps what they meant was they typically filter out any applicants with sectional scores around 7/8, which is pretty much common practice at many schools.

Hey guys.

I have an interview scheduled in January (I can make this date), but I was hoping for an earlier date. Should I just keep going back to the portal, clicking on "reschedule interview", and then seeing if earlier dates have opened up? Or do I need to contact someone in admissions to see if earlier dates have opened up? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yes, check the portal and click reschedule interview if you want to see if there are earlier dates (and don't worry, you won't lose your current interview date if you click it). If you see one you like, go through the process of selecting it and you should receive an email confirming the switch.