AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am a current AZCOM student and I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the clinical rotations at AZCOM. There are a lot of issues with getting ward based rotations. If this is a priority for you I would seriously consider attending a different medical school. I'm not saying that you shouldn't attend AZCOM if they are your only acceptance, but I am suggesting that you strongly consider other schools if you have other acceptances. The rotations have been a total headache and it will only get more complicated because we have a smaller group of students needing rotations compared to the 250+ that future classes will need. We were told that they were prepared for the increased class size, but they did not obtain proportional increases in ward based slots for our class. Make sure to do your homework and ask questions at your interviews about the rotations.

I understand that MWU looks pretty and has a wonderful facility for your first 2 years, but it is your last 2 years that are the most important.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current AZCOM student and I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about the clinical rotations at AZCOM. There are a lot of issues with getting ward based rotations. If this is a priority for you I would seriously consider attending a different medical school. I'm not saying that you shouldn't attend AZCOM if they are your only acceptance, but I am suggesting that you strongly consider other schools if you have other acceptances. The rotations have been a total headache and it will only get more complicated because we have a smaller group of students needing rotations compared to the 250+ that future classes will need. We were told that they were prepared for the increased class size, but they did not obtain proportional increases in ward based slots for our class. Make sure to do your homework and ask questions at your interviews about the rotations.

I understand that MWU looks pretty and has a wonderful facility for your first 2 years, but it is your last 2 years that are the most important.

so how do they decide who gets the ward-based rotations? i will definitely ask them during interview..cuz i cant find much information aobut their clinical rotations online..thanks for the heads-up

so how do they decide who gets the ward-based rotations? i will definitely ask them during interview..cuz i cant find much information aobut their clinical rotations online..thanks for the heads-up

Getting the ward-based rotations is dependent upon obtaining certain rotation regions from the lottery. The information out on the lottery presently is found in this pdf:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13795&d=1257963853
HOWEVER, the class of 2013 was told this past spring that the rotation regions were getting changed up (such as dropping year-round rural rotations, re-dividing the Phoenix-area, trying to drop the Ohio CORE rotations in lieu of Indiana ones, etc.) and that the lottery process itself was being amended a bit to hopefully ease things on the students when it comes to obtaining a rotation region and on the administration when it comes to assigning them. All of that being said, my class will also likely see some additional changes by the time we get to that point in our education.

Members don't see this ad :)
Out of curiosity, did you try this at any other schools? My husband and I are trying to get in the same medical school this cycle, so just wondering what schools are couple friendly if one of us gets accepted to a school and the other doesn't/is on hold/has an interview/waitlist. Would love to hear you whole experience on applying together.

We actually didn't do this at any other school. My MCAT was well below stellar so I only ended up getting an interview at DCOM and then AZCOM after I sent a letter of intent. My husband had also gotten an interview at DCOM but decided not to attend due to several reasons. So he actually dropped that interview even though I had been accepted there and didn't even have an interview at AZCOM yet. We really took a chance on that one. Have you and your husband received interviews at some of the same schools yet?

There are also chances to get ward based rotations based on your area of interest. For example I want to do OB/Gyn so our head of that department will be setting up a time(s) to speak with all of us who are interested in OB and students will potentially get to do a rotation either at Banner Good Samaritan or Maricopa.

Obviously she is going to have better first hand experience but if you were to get a hold/waitlist and your husband gets an acceptance or vice-versa I would 100% write a letter to the school re-expressing your interest. A husband attending is an absolute reason to attend a school and unlike people writing random letters of intent they will know that if accepted you WILL attend. I hope it works out for you :thumbup:

I definitely agree with this! The letter I sent to AZCOM was a letter of intent, so stating I would absolutely attend if granted and interview and accepted. If you end up in the situation where one of you is accepted and the other waitlisted at more than one school I would send letters of interest, and possibly a letter of intent if you absolutely know which school you want to attend. I would only send a letter of intent to one school because it just seems like bad form to me to do otherwise.

We actually didn't do this at any other school. My MCAT was well below stellar so I only ended up getting an interview at DCOM and then AZCOM after I sent a letter of intent. My husband had also gotten an interview at DCOM but decided not to attend due to several reasons. So he actually dropped that interview even though I had been accepted there and didn't even have an interview at AZCOM yet. We really took a chance on that one. Have you and your husband received interviews at some of the same schools yet?

So far I have interviews at LECOM-B and AZCOM. He took his MCAT a little later than I did so he just got his secondaries submitted about two weeks ago. We applied to 10 of the same schools. So hopefully he'll get some of the same interviews and we can pick from there.

I definitely agree with this! The letter I sent to AZCOM was a letter of intent, so stating I would absolutely attend if granted and interview and accepted. If you end up in the situation where one of you is accepted and the other waitlisted at more than one school I would send letters of interest, and possibly a letter of intent if you absolutely know which school you want to attend. I would only send a letter of intent to one school because it just seems like bad form to me to do otherwise.

We'll definitely do this, thanks for the advice about it.

how strict do you think both the midwestern schools are for the prereqs to be atleast a C and not a C-. I have a C- in orgo I, but everything else is fine. I got an A in orgo II

how strict do you think both the midwestern schools are for the prereqs to be atleast a C and not a C-. I have a C- in orgo I, but everything else is fine. I got an A in orgo II

AACOMAS doesn't verify C- coursework so unless you have other Ochem classes you are going to show as deficient in that aspect. Check your AACOMAS application, if you are deficient you may still get an interview but acceptance may be conditional on retaking and passing orgo I

Members don't see this ad :)
Wooohooo congratulations, me too!! The email came in at like 3 A.M. this morning, lol. Check your inboxes!

Are you going on 10/19 tiger?
Yep. I scheduled for that date. It's during my fall break -- otherwise I would have gone on a Monday. Very excited though! I don't think my parents are thrilled about the $400+ cost for the flight... but medical school in Arizona would be soooo nice.

Congrats!! Wow I didn't know they work on the weekend

As far as I know, they don't, but the portal probably indicated an interview invite yesterday and the automated emails never go out until the early-AM the following day once some status on the portal has been updated (and that's also why y'all should be checking the portal and not waiting for an email [more importantly because the email doesn't always come...]).

Last edited:
it'd be nice if i could actually schedule my interview AZCOM, how long does the portal need to be down?? :(

How long did it take for you guys to get an interview invite after you were complete?

I have a couple other interviews the first week of October in Arizona. Has anyone tried changing the date of their interview at all yet and if so how willing was admissions to help?

Last edited:
I have a couple other interviews the first week of October in Arizona. Has anyone tried changing the date of their interview at all yet and if so how willing was admissions willing help?

i used the online scheduler to change my interview, and it was pretty straightforward. they just cancel your previous interview and schedule you into the new date.

What a bummer. The website is finally back up and working but when I login to pick a date and what does it tell me? "No dates available. You will be notified when more dates are made available." :cry:

How long did it take for you guys to get an interview invite after you were complete?

3 days...... It all depends when the committee meets, also I have a feeling there are some auto-invites based purely on numbers. I for one have a bad GPA but great MCAT......... Good luck

:D:D:D:D

I'm interviewing on Oct 20, was complete on August 2. October 20th was the last date available for October and I believe they had 4 more dates available in November.

Thanks!! That means my October 18th one is now free.

It's what I do.

I think I'll mention this story about my altruistic nature at one of my interviews. That combined with my good looks should wow any admissions committee sufficiently.

I just cancelled a sept 17th interview so it might be open for somebody else now.

Why did you cancel your interview? What happened? I am like dying to receive an invitation from AZCOM....

How do we know when we were officially complete? the day it says supplemental received or when the letters were received also? Cuz all of mine was finally received by july 30. So does that mean i was overlooked? :/ Kinda worried now.

How do we know when we were officially complete? the day it says supplemental received or when the letters were received also? Cuz all of mine was finally received by july 30. So does that mean i was overlooked? :/ Kinda worried now.

The day you have all green checks on the application checklist.

Why did you cancel your interview? What happened? I am like dying to receive an invitation from AZCOM....

I got my interview the first day they were given out. I had to cancel because I just have too many interviews at this point (I'm back home at one point for only 12 hours between flights).

It's a great school. I hope to interview there later in the year.

yeah, technically you are completed when you see all the green checks. they didn't send me the "complete" email. but i would call them and ask if you want to make sure

:D:D:D:D

I'm interviewing on Oct 20, was complete on August 2. October 20th was the last date available for October and I believe they had 4 more dates available in November.

Congrats man, I'm interviewing on the 20th too! :D Pretty exciting huh? You have any other interviews yet?

I currently have an interview scheduled for Sept. 17th but I'd like to change it to Sept. 30th, Oct. 1st, or even Oct. 5th. It would save me a lot of money not having to fly out there twice. If anyone currently has an interview scheduled for one of those dates and would like to bump theirs up a few weeks, let me know!

I'll be there 10/20!!

Submitted secondary 7/26
File Complete 8/24ish
Received Invite 8/27!!!

I currently have an interview scheduled for Sept. 17th but I'd like to change it to Sept. 30th, Oct. 1st, or even Oct. 5th. It would save me a lot of money not having to fly out there twice. If anyone currently has an interview scheduled for one of those dates and would like to bump theirs up a few weeks, let me know!

I'll switch you for October 13th.

I got a letter from AZCOM today, looks like an early rejection. It says due to so many applicants etc etc, we will be putting you on hold for a possible future interview invitation. Kinda bummed about it. :/ Any one else receive this type of letter?

I got a letter from AZCOM today, looks like an early rejection. It says due to so many applicants etc etc, we will be putting you on hold for a possible future interview invitation. Kinda bummed about it. :/ Any one else receive this type of letter?

Its not a rejection, its a hold. They do reject so its not the worst that can happen. If you like AZCOM, send them update letters and letters of interest.

For those of you interviewing on Friday, 9/17...

I just booked all my junk. If you're staying at Drury Inn & Suites Pinnacle Peak or somewhere close to there my flight arrives early afternoon Thursday 9/16. I reserved a rental car if anyone wants to share or needs a ride. I'm 27 so I didn't have to pay extra fees. I'm also staying til Saturday at 9-10am if anyone wants to do anything Friday night. I think the Drury supplies booze.

For those of you interviewing on Friday, 9/17...

I just booked all my junk. If you're staying at Drury Inn & Suites Pinnacle Peak or somewhere close to there my flight arrives early afternoon Thursday 9/16. I reserved a rental car if anyone wants to share or needs a ride. I'm 27 so I didn't have to pay extra fees. I'm also staying til Saturday at 9-10am if anyone wants to do anything Friday night. I think the Drury supplies booze.

Haha, I'm totally staying there too. Unfortunately I'll be flying out Friday evening, so now free booze for me!

I got one of those last year...it's probably not a good sign. I didn't hear from them again after the letter until the end of the season where they send out the "so many applications and not enough interviews" rejection letter. So I wouldn't expect to hear back from them without doing some legwork on your part ie: update letter, new grades, new MCAT's, etc...

I got one of those last year...it's probably not a good sign. I didn't hear from them again after the letter until the end of the season where they send out the "so many applications and not enough interviews" rejection letter. So I wouldn't expect to hear back from them without doing some legwork on your part ie: update letter, new grades, new MCAT's, etc...

I got one too. Exactly why I said to make sure to update them. I didn't last year and it just sat until April or whenever they sent me the rejection letter.

It seems like AZCOM is pretty quick with their interview invites, but I haven't heard anything after being complete for two weeks. I'm expecting a hold/rejection letter in the mail when I get back home tomorrow :(

It seems like AZCOM is pretty quick with their interview invites, but I haven't heard anything after being complete for two weeks. I'm expecting a hold/rejection letter in the mail when I get back home tomorrow :(

not necessarily. Stay confident. If its a hold just keep updating them.

+1 for a hold letter. I also got one last year and had the same results as Will...didn't hear nada until the reject on the spring. I also did not put much effort into it last year either though. I'll probably send an update letter once when I have something to update them on I suppose...although I'm not too sure it'll really help too much since this is the second time they think I'm good enough to keep in the pile, but not good enough to take off the pile.