AZCOM Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its not a rejection, its a hold. They do reject so its not the worst that can happen. If you like AZCOM, send them update letters and letters of interest.

I definitely agree. I was put on a pre-interview hold but sent a letter of intent in December and received an interview after that. It's definitely not a guarantee that you'll get an interview with letters of interest and updates but it's far better than just waiting to hear back after that.

Members don't see this ad.

would I be super late if I submitted my AAMCAS this week?

I assume you're saying AACOMAS?

Based on your stats and info from previous posts, I recommend going ahead and applying. You have a great shot at MD, but you're best off guaranteeing some more interviews rather than potentially having to reapply next year. I think AZCOM will very likely give you an interview. It may be later in the season, but who cares. $200 - $400 extra to apply DO, even if you only app to schools in and near AZ, will give you a great backup. Just get it all done quickly, including your LORs!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to reschedule my Oct 13 interview for a later date. If someone acts fast they might be able to grab it.

I had to reschedule my Oct 13 interview for a later date. If someone acts fast they might be able to grab it.

Thanks for the update, I just rescheduled my interview from the Oct. 20 to Oct. 13.

If anyone is looking to change , there is now an open spot on Oct. 20.

Is it too late for me to add this school to my AACOMAS now so I can do a secondary?
Stats are 30O, 3.4 sGPA, OOS
Thanks!!

Is it too late for me to add this school to my AACOMAS now so I can do a secondary?
Stats are 30O, 3.4 sGPA, OOS
Thanks!!

Not too late at all. Your stats are good, most students are OOS, and they interview into late-April or early-May.

So for my fellow 9/17 interviewees, I know BigBoosting's staying at the Drury, anyone else gonna be there with us?

Getting the ward-based rotations is dependent upon obtaining certain rotation regions from the lottery. The information out on the lottery presently is found in this pdf:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13795&d=1257963853
HOWEVER, the class of 2013 was told this past spring that the rotation regions were getting changed up (such as dropping year-round rural rotations, re-dividing the Phoenix-area, trying to drop the Ohio CORE rotations in lieu of Indiana ones, etc.) and that the lottery process itself was being amended a bit to hopefully ease things on the students when it comes to obtaining a rotation region and on the administration when it comes to assigning them. All of that being said, my class will also likely see some additional changes by the time we get to that point in our education.

I just want to clarify this, since our first spin comes Monday for locations and we pretty much know now what will happen.

There is a required CORE ward based IM rotation that will vary depending on your region. There are additional ward based rotations available based on region, and you will be told exactly what they have to offer.

In addition to this, there are ward based rotations in several specialties that are region independent. You will probably have to talk to the head of each department and get that set up. If there are too many people requesting these rotations, they will filter based on GPA, as they did for Peds in Phoenix Children's Hospital. I don't know if they will do this for all of these special rotations but it changes all the time.

There are also hybrid ward based and department based rotations. Department means just that; you won't be under a specific preceptor but merely a student for the entire department. Strangely, we found about this (or at least I did) from a surgery lecture in ICM so there's probably more I don't know.

After the spin for regions this Monday, we will have another spin for tracks. Tracks are the order in which we do our rotations. Like regions, these can be traded (at least for 2013) but if you wish to trade after the track spin, you must trade your region and your track as a package.

2014 will have to choose very soon. I believe it is next month, but they will essentially get all of the info I just typed out now and more, of course. Odds are it could completely change for 2015 and maybe even for 2014 by next year, so don't set any of this in stone.

EDIT - I just wanted to add the regions in case people were curious. The numbers indicate the max number of spots to each location as of today.

West Phoenix - 80
East Phoenix - 80
Tucson - 22
L.A. - 45
Modesto/Turlock, CA - 15
Ohio - 10
Champaign-Urbana, IL - 22

Last edited:
I just want to clarify this, since our first spin comes Monday for locations and we pretty much know now what will happen.

There is a required CORE ward based IM rotation that will vary depending on your region. There are additional ward based rotations available based on region, and you will be told exactly what they have to offer.

In addition to this, there are ward based rotations in several specialties that are region independent. You will probably have to talk to the head of each department and get that set up. If there are too many people requesting these rotations, they will filter based on GPA, as they did for Peds in Phoenix Children's Hospital. I don't know if they will do this for all of these special rotations but it changes all the time.

There are also hybrid ward based and department based rotations. Department means just that; you won't be under a specific preceptor but merely a student for the entire department. Strangely, we found about this (or at least I did) from a surgery lecture in ICM so there's probably more I don't know.

After the spin for regions this Monday, we will have another spin for tracks. Tracks are the order in which we do our rotations. Like regions, these can be traded (at least for 2013) but if you wish to trade after the track spin, you must trade your region and your track as a package.

2014 will have to choose very soon. I believe it is next month, but they will essentially get all of the info I just typed out now and more, of course. Odds are it could completely change for 2015 and maybe even for 2014 by next year, so don't set any of this in stone.

EDIT - I just wanted to add the regions in case people were curious. The numbers indicate the max number of spots to each location as of today.

West Phoenix - 80
East Phoenix - 80
Tucson - 22
L.A. - 45
Modesto/Turlock, CA - 15
Ohio - 10
Champaign-Urbana, IL - 22

Hello everyone,

I wanted to take a moment to introduce myself as well as put in my two cents on this topic, as it seems to come up frequently. My name is Max Braverman and I am the AZCOM Student Government Association President. The information Flushot posted above is pretty darn accurate with the exception of the Class of 2014 info. Ward based rotations, with the exception of IM, are given out by the department heads. If you want one, and you qualify, you go talk to them and chances are you will get one. Like nearly every other DO school (and increasingly more MD schools), we do have a great deal of department based/preceptor based learning experiences but if you want ward they are definitely available. For IM ward - everyone gets an IM ward rotation (required). Our class (2013) completed the first round of the rotation lottery this morning (choice submission closed at 5 AM local time today) so we excitedly await those results.

As for 2014 - their rotation lottery will be later on next month but having the rotation spin in first year is not common practice here. Changes are being made to the rotation management software used by the administration and rather than having to do the 2014 rotation lottery during that time, it is being done sooner for their convenience. They will also be given a different timeline for trading regions and such because it will be the better part of a year (from right now) before they actually hit rotations.

For you guys, all information on rotations, when you choose, how you choose and what is available will be provided at your interview (and I am sure I will be on here sharing it as well). Good luck to all of you and I look forward to meeting those of you who have the good fortune of interviewing.

And Flushot (whoever you are): Good luck on the Path exam this morning!

Maxwell A. Braverman, OMS-II
Student Government Association President
Midwestern University - Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine

I just checked the AZCOM portal and it looks like there are now open interview slots on 9/20 and 9/27. If someone acts fast they might be able to snag an earlier interview date.

I would've taken one but I've already booked my flight :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had to reschedule my interview and now a 9/21 date is available as well

I just had to reschedule my interview and now a 9/21 date is available as well

Thank you, I scooped up that date and now my Oct. 13th date is open for anybody.

Hey maxmann77, I think you suffered on the wait list with me over the summer. Good luck this year.

I've got nothing but sympathy for anybody who has been waitlisted, it can be tough sledding.

Blah. Im at the airport now waiting to go to Phoenix and my flight is delayed due to mechanical problems. I'm really bored so people better start posting. :). This is a pretty boring airport without even a bar, but I can get $5 beers at the snack bar. Too bad I don't really like beer.

Other problem is I hope enterprise doesnt close before I get there.

Sorry if any typos or poor puncuation. I'm using my husbands iPod touch for Internet since I dont have a laptop.

Can't wait to see everyone interviewing Friday. There will be quite a few sdners there.

Last edited:
Leaving tomorrow morning...I'll be in Phoenix around 3

Can't wait!!

Blah. Im at the airport now waiting to go to Phoenix and my flight is delayed due to mechanical problems. I'm really bored so people better start posting. :). This is a pretty boring airport without even a bar, but I can get $5 beers at the snack bar. Too bad I don't really like beer.

Other problem is I hope enterprise doesnt close before I get there.

Sorry if any typos or poor puncuation. I'm using my husbands iPod touch for Internet since I dont have a laptop.

Can't wait to see everyone interviewing Friday. There will be quite a few sdners there.

No bar? That is lame! That's my favorite part of the airport haha. See you tomorrow!

Wish I could get out there earlier! I have to work in the morning and then my flight leaves at 12pm... I also have a layover and won't get to AZ until 5:30pm... Lame. Can't wait to meet you guys!

just rescheduled my interview for nov. if anyone wants it, my original date was thurs sept 23rd.

good luck to all those interviewing!!

I'm excited for all you early azcomians, can't wait to get there on Monday :thumbup:

Good luck to all interviewees.

Also, One800 and maxxman, where you two in last year's thread?

One800 and me were both in last year's thread. I think we both interviewed around the same time and both got waitlisted.

I learned my lesson last year, this year I applied early and the process has been a whole lot less stressful.

Good luck to everyone interviewing :luck:

Hey guys and gals,

I'm a first year and just wanted to wish you all good luck tomorrow! It's gonna be hot but should be pretty nice in the morning (I'm assuming your interviews are around 8am). My advice would be to try your best to relax and really take in your surroundings. Do like the atmosphere? When you walk around campus, ask yourself "could I see myself coming here, or living here?" I found all the schools I interviewed at similarly appealing on an objective level and really made my decision subjectively on where I felt "comfortable."

Also, if anyone wants to talk with some first years about our experiences so far please let me know. I know a bunch of people who would be eager to share stories and insight, myself included. Just send me a PM.

Congrats guys, getting the interview is the 2nd hardest part (next to signing the master promissory note before taking out your first loan :laugh:)

Good luck!

Congrats guys, getting the interview is the 2nd hardest part (next to signing the master promissory note before taking out your first loan :laugh:)

Good luck!

Very, very accurate words. So far it's definitely been worth it though. As bcgans has said, just relax and take everything in as well as you can. The interview should be really relaxed, so as cliche as it is to say, just be yourself because at this point it's no longer a numbers game but a personality game.

Best of luck to all of y'all!

Back at the hotel from the AZCOM interview. The school was so amazing! It's definitely my top choice now and I hope I get accepted because I could definitely see myself being there :luck:

There were 17 of us interviewing (but I think 18 were supposed to be there). The day started with an informal breakfast with current students answering questions, followed by talks about financial aid and the program. Then they split us up into two groups - the first group interviewed and the second group went on a walking tour.

I was in the first group and they split us up into 3 groups of 3. Each interview with 3 people (I had 3 professors) lasted 30 minutes and was very relaxed and nice. I was asked some health care questions and some people said they got random questions - sdaniel got the best one, I'll let her share :laugh: But mostly there were questions from my CV. It was closed file except the CV, secondary, and list of ECs from AACOMAS. I think they said they had everything except grades and MCAT. I don't know if they had LORs.

Then our group went on the tour and saw everything but the anatomy lab and patient simulation building. It lasted about 30 minutes. Then we ate lunch at the cafeteria, which was nice (buffet just for the interviewees), and then went to see the anatomy lab and patient sim building before a quick wrap up. They told us the committee is meeting sometime during the last week in September and the fastest way to know of an acceptance is to check the online portal.

Ultimately it was a fantastic day. There were student ambassadors constantly around for us to ask questions...they were so great. Everyone seemed so happy and down to earth at the school. It was such a great atmosphere. The admissions office staff at AZCOM was also amazing today, down to the details (fancy name badges instead of paper stickers!). I couldn't have expected anything better. If I don't get in, I'll still feel like I got my $600's worth for the trip. But I better get in or I'll be devastated :laugh:

Oh lord, I just got nervous :scared: Let the waiting game begin...
:xf:

EDIT: Oh! And they said starting with our class, they're going to assign you your 3rd and 4th year rotation spot at the time you're accepted so you know going in where you'll be. I think they said if you're from that area that's where you're assigned, otherwise I think you can pick. They had Phoenix, Los Angeles, Modesto, Ohio, Champagne/Urbana....might be missing some.

Last edited:
Back at the hotel from the AZCOM interview. The school was so amazing! It's definitely my top choice now and I hope I get accepted because I could definitely see myself being there :luck:

There were 17 of us interviewing (but I think 18 were supposed to be there). The day started with an informal breakfast with current students answering questions, followed by talks about financial aid and the program. Then they split us up into two groups - the first group interviewed and the second group went on a walking tour.

I was in the first group and they split us up into 3 groups of 3. Each interview with 3 people (I had 3 professors) lasted 30 minutes and was very relaxed and nice. I was asked some health care questions and some people said they got random questions - sdaniel got the best one, I'll let her share :laugh: But mostly there were questions from my CV. It was closed file except the CV, secondary, and list of ECs from AACOMAS. I think they said they had everything except grades and MCAT. I don't know if they had LORs.

Then our group went on the tour and saw everything but the anatomy lab and patient simulation building. It lasted about 30 minutes. Then we ate lunch at the cafeteria, which was nice (buffet just for the interviewees), and then went to see the anatomy lab and patient sim building before a quick wrap up. They told us the committee is meeting sometime during the last week in September and the fastest way to know of an acceptance is to check the online portal.

Ultimately it was a fantastic day. There were student ambassadors constantly around for us to ask questions...they were so great. Everyone seemed so happy and down to earth at the school. It was such a great atmosphere. The admissions office staff at AZCOM was also amazing today, down to the details (fancy name badges instead of paper stickers!). I couldn't have expected anything better. If I don't get in, I'll still feel like I got my $600's worth for the trip. But I better get in or I'll be devastated :laugh:

Awesome write up! Best of luck, I'll be flying out on Monday and can't wait to be where you are right now (post-interview). Seems like all of us interviewing through next week will hear back after the first adcom meeting :xf:

Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

Can anyone discuss a few of the things that they have written to this question and or recommendations?

EDIT: Oh! And they said starting with our class, they're going to assign you your 3rd and 4th year rotation spot at the time you're accepted so you know going in where you'll be. I think they said if you're from that area that's where you're assigned, otherwise I think you can pick. They had Phoenix, Los Angeles, Modesto, Ohio, Champagne/Urbana....might be missing some.

I'm a current AZCOM student and I saw you guys in the cafeteria today. I wansn't sure if you were interviewees, what with the fancy name tags and all:rolleyes:

You're absolutely right about the students and the climate here. My classmates are fantastic! Really smart and hardworking but also very down to earth. We help one another out, study and hang out together. The faculty is also top notch and you will get an amazing basic science educaton here. Best of luck to you! Maybe we'll see you at the Big Sib/Little Sib event next fall:luck:

Why do (!@#$%^[{YOU}]^%$#@!) believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?

Can anyone discuss a few of the things that they have written to this question and or recommendations?

This is essentially the part where you kiss the school's butt, to put it plainly. I'd suggest going through the online catalog (http://www.midwestern.edu/Documents/Catalog/AZCatalog2010-2011(1).pdf) at least once and finding some things mentioned in the AZCOM portion that seem like good aspects of the educational experience you'll obtain here. They're really into the whole biopsychosocial medical approach here (the Human Behavior class first years take has really stressed this so far, and it's been touched upon by various other faculty and administrators in some capacity, and we're not even two months into the game). They also love to talk about how students do well on the boards, a lot (which is understandable because they have been doing quite well the past several years). Personally, I found the fact that they are always changing the curriculum (which is also a classical curriculum and not a systems-based) in order to better student outcomes to be a big plus, because there's always room for improvement.

That being said, that's just my two cents, it really boils down to what YOU think would make AZCOM a great place to learn how to become a physician (it really is something you should put thought into because no two medical schools are alike- they all have their own bells and whistles, shortcomings, etc.).

BigBoosting has a great review of how the day went! I just want to reiterate what she said about the student ambassadors, they were soooo helpful and realistic about everything so ask them questions! One of them at lunch was even in HPSP so that was great because I got to ask him all about it since I have read such mixed information about the program online lol :)

The interview was really chill, I think I got a great group: I had a DO, MS, and a 4th year student (they told us they try to get 1 student per group but it doesn't always work out; my group was the only one of the three to have a student I think). The greatest question of all time:

"If you could be any kitchen appliance, what would you be?"

Practice your answer to this, because it WILL be in your interview.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Food was okay BUT they were having an amazing-looking ice cream sundae bar that day that I was sad we could not partake in lol. The campus is amazing, it's really shocking going from Michigan weather to Arizona but I could totally get used to it :D Gym is nice, anatomy/OMM labs are great, and the patient simulation center was amazing, it's totally new so everything is nice and state-of-the-art it seems.

Tuition is kind of high, but their financial aid department seems very helpful, and the cost-of-living seems very low (2-bedroom apartments starting at like $500-600 off campus, I couldn't believe it).

Overall I like the school a lot more than I thought I would, and I'm glad I finally have something to compare LECOM-B to! I really like that AZCOM has such a community/campus atmosphere since there are about a dozen graduate programs on campus, as opposed to LECOM-B who only has DO and like one other program (I'm blanking on what it is at the moment because it is 2:35am and I just had a 4 hour flight lol). Here's hoping I get an acceptance because I'm ranking this higher than LECOM now.

Good luck to you Monday interviewees, I hope that you have as many students come and talk to you as we did because I guess Monday is going to be a big test day on campus for 1st and 2nd years.

P.S. BigBoosting, you'd better not be at Applebee's.

EDIT: Ladies, wear comfy heels :D you do a lot of walking. They said that in the afternoon we would take a bus to go see the anatomy/OMM labs and simulation center but we only took a bus on the way back, we had to walk on the way there. So it's basically like walking around campus twice. Also, I highly recommend the skirt-suit. :D

Last edited:
Oh man, with those two AWSOME reviews, now I want that AZCOM interview even more! Kitchen Appliance? (WTF) I had never heard that one before! and Man a 2 bed room apt for 600$, I pay 650 to share a room with someone! I'm sure you guys rocked that interview!

"If you could be any kitchen appliance, what would you be?"

Practice your answer to this, because it WILL be in your interview.

:laugh: "I'd be a refrigerator because I'm soooooo coooooool" :rofl:

Overall I like the school a lot more than I thought I would, and I'm glad I finally have something to compare LECOM-B to! I really like that AZCOM has such a community/campus atmosphere since there are about a dozen graduate programs on campus, as opposed to LECOM-B who only has DO and like one other program (I'm blanking on what it is at the moment because it is 2:35am and I just had a 4 hour flight lol). Here's hoping I get an acceptance because I'm ranking this higher than LECOM now.

Yep! I personally like it miles above LECOM-B so I'm kinda glad I was waitlisted there so I don't have to worry about the deposit. I hope you hear from AZCOM before it's due. Good luck, but I know you did great :)

P.S. BigBoosting, you'd better not be at Applebee's.

hahaha! I found some awesome sushi place right next to campus. It was good. If I get in to AZCOM, it will definitely be my new sake bomb supplier.

Ditto what sdaniel said about heels and a skirt suit...be prepared to walk outside! I guess it wasn't toooooo bad, but I have blisters today. :thumbdown:

And for anyone who hasn't booked a hotel yet, the Drury is good. Their 5:30 Kickback thing had meatballs, chicken fingers and wings, hot dogs, and some other random stuff. You also have a card for 3 free alcoholic beverages each night you stay. They have wine, Bud Light on tap for beer, and an ok selection of liquor. sdaniel and I went down 17 to 101 to 59th to get to the school in the morning, but later in the day when I went back, I found that the Drury is essentially a straight shot to the school. W Pinnacle Peak turns into 59th (bear left when you get to the 59th fork), which goes right by the school. And it's a very pretty scenic route, definitely check it out.

wow...this is exactly what I was afraid of! i really liked lecom and the weather was great but in the back of my mind, i kept wondering about AZCOM especially since i didnt have any other schools to compare lecom to. i kept thinking about how the azcom campus looks amazing and you can't beat the weather. my only question was in regards to rotation sites but it sounds like its pretty organized. im kicking myself now for pushing my AZCOM interview back from sept 23rd all the way to nov 4th.

bigboosting and sedaniel with the great reviews :smuggrin:!

wow...this is exactly what I was afraid of! i really liked lecom and the weather was great but in the back of my mind, i kept wondering about AZCOM especially since i didnt have any other schools to compare lecom to. i kept thinking about how the azcom campus looks amazing and you can't beat the weather. my only question was in regards to rotation sites but it sounds like its pretty organized. im kicking myself now for pushing my AZCOM interview back from sept 23rd all the way to nov 4th.

bigboosting and sedaniel with the great reviews :smuggrin:!

I did the same thing and feel the same!

Instead of clowns everywhere like LECOM-B, AZCOM had candy everywhere. Big mistake guys!!

:laugh:

If you haven't booked your flights yet, keep checking the portal to wait for someone to drop a sooner interview

And for anyone who hasn't booked a hotel yet, the Drury is good. Their 5:30 Kickback thing had meatballs, chicken fingers and wings, hot dogs, and some other random stuff. You also have a card for 3 free alcoholic beverages each night you stay. They have wine, Bud Light on tap for beer, and an ok selection of liquor. sdaniel and I went down 17 to 101 to 59th to get to the school in the morning, but later in the day when I went back, I found that the Drury is essentially a straight shot to the school. W Pinnacle Peak turns into 59th (bear left when you get to the 59th fork), which goes right by the school. And it's a very pretty scenic route, definitely check it out.

Thanks for the advice. I just booked. $90 total for a room, free dinner, three free drinks. Not bad.

Thanks for the advice. I just booked. $90 total for a room, free dinner, three free drinks. Not bad.

If you didn't use the Midwestern corporate code, do so and that will get it down to $79. I stayed 2 nights and with all tax and fees it came out to be $181

If you didn't use the Midwestern corporate code, do so and that will get it down to $79. I stayed 2 nights and with all tax and fees it came out to be $181

Ha, no I did. 90 including taxes. Thanks again. I'm surprised it was so low. Cheapest place I found on Kayak nearby was $53 w.o taxes, and you get free dinner/drinks @ Drury.

FYI...I overlooked it, but there's also an Enterprise Rental Car code on the hotel guide too. I'm not sure what the price would come down to, but I wish I saw it before :)

Who's going on September 27th??? What's the CHEAPEST place to stay ? :)

Definitely. Interviewing Tuesday. Called and asked for feedback, they said my interview went great, it's just it was in April so very few spots left. I have a 35N, 2.8 undergrad GPA, and a 3.6 Grad GPA after two years. Hope the early application will get me over the hump. Just can't blow the interview :laugh:.

I did the same thing and feel the same!

hopefully it wont matter if we get that other interview we're waiting for!

Instead of clowns everywhere like LECOM-B, AZCOM had candy everywhere. Big mistake guys!!

:laugh:

lol that was DEFINITELY weird..haha i completely forgot all about those clowns!

Definitely. Interviewing Tuesday. Called and asked for feedback, they said my interview went great, it's just it was in April so very few spots left. I have a 35N, 2.8 undergrad GPA, and a 3.6 Grad GPA after two years. Hope the early application will get me over the hump. Just can't blow the interview :laugh:.

nice mcat! gl on ur interview

Anyone know the statistics on being interviewed and then being accepted? I'd like to see what my chances are...interviewing on Tuesday.

Anyone know the statistics on being interviewed and then being accepted? I'd like to see what my chances are...interviewing on Tuesday.

I don't have the stats, but I've searched through past threads and have heard they accept about 350 and interview 500. I think this may have been before the increase to 250 students, but I'd say a 60-70% shot is a good estimate.

But I wouldn't focus on numbers. See you tomorrow.

2009-2010 Forum, p.10, post by lentilfarm:
"The admissions director said that they interivew about 600 for the 250 seats. If I remember correctly, he said that they need to accept upwards of 400 to get all the seats filled. According to him, the hard part is getting the interview offer."

Take it for what it's worth.

Last edited: