BCOM vs MUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, allow me to apply your logic to this situation: New Mexico is ranked second to last in physician shortage and nearly just as low on the poverty ranking. Also, nearly 75% of all physicians in New Mexico are over the age of 60 which easily represents an even greater threat to healthcare for the next few years to come. We could open a medical school to help battle these problems and create a much better and more promising future for our residents here in New Mexico, but since I think for-profit schools are an abomination I think I would rather the problem grow rapidly out of hand and risk the future of New Mexico's healthcare for the benefit of feeling better about myself....

That is what you sound like. The dean is no more of a hypocrite than a person changing his mind about being hungry..he had a political stance, a firm one at that, but recognized and expressed publicly to others that he learned of ways for which for-profit was a blessing. The funny thing about this whole argument is that the student nor anyone else for that matter would know the difference between a for-profit or NFP unless it was disclosed to them to begin with. BCOM's tuition competes with all private osteopathic and allopathic schools for lowest cost. So, really, the only thing you could even POSSIBLY argue is the principle behind the schooling for which even then I say you have no argument. Like I said earlier your opinion is yours to keep, but you share nothing worth noting as far as evidence to back up your vivid claim that for-profit schools are terrible.

Lol. First of all opening up a medical school doesn't help physician shortages in a state. Second of all its gonna be ten years till the first class is doctors. I rather spend the 15 to do it right. Third of all for profit medical schools are under pressure to make money above all else. They aren't indistinguishable.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly @OrdinaryDO and @Dustbowl12 were not getting anywhere with this. We disagree on fp and nfp medical education. I think we both expressed our view points and should just leave it.

Reactions: 1 user
Everyone has made some good points here.

There's bias in this thread because there are people matriculating into BCOM to defend it, and there are others who are biased against new for profit schools.

There's never going to be an end, and it really depends on your own gut feeling. People know that usually, a school with a good reputation is a safer bet than a school with no reputation. If the new school offers a lot more than another more established school, then I can see why someone would want to go attend the new school.

I work with many postdocs and PIs who graduated from Harvard Medical School and went to other top residencies and fellowships in MGH, and I will leave with this. Both @OrdinaryDO and @DoctorSynthesis are correct. You have to be really intelligent to get into these residencies. However, many of them are also good manipulators and will do anything they can to better themselves. That's what generally happens when you are highly intelligent and are competing all the way to the top. If they have to be hypocritical, then they would. I can say that some will leave a bad taste in other people's mouths. Others may be discreet about it and you would never know. There are always exceptions, of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user