2022-2023 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got the call! Interviewed: 3/1 waitlisted 4/1!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all. I got an acceptance email around noon. I was hoping they would call in the evening. Has every accepted individual received a call? Makes a little anxious that I received the email only. I scavenged the internet to see if BCOM has over-accepted students beyond capacity and haven't anything. Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey y'all. I got an acceptance email around noon. I was hoping they would call in the evening. Has every accepted individual received a call? Makes a little anxious that I received the email only. I scavenged the internet to see if BCOM has over-accepted students beyond capacity and haven't anything. Any thoughts on this?
I got accepted after my interview and it was email only. So I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Also on the student portal it says there are 192 enrolled but it fluctuates daily based on withdrawals and acceptances but if I recall correctly (anyone can state if I’m wrong) but they are aiming for 195-200 this time around.

I got accepted after my interview and it was email only. So I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Also on the student portal it says there are 192 enrolled but it fluctuates daily based on withdrawals and acceptances but if I recall correctly (anyone can state if I’m wrong) but they are aiming for 195-200 this time around.
Thank you for providing this information

Is research hard to come by here or is it easier to get than some other schools? Just curious :)

Just got accepted! Cant believe it. Imma throw up hahaahha

Reactions: 2 users
May a current MS2 or MS3 student be of help?

There was a Reddit thread saying that although this school is P/F, if you are at the bottom of the average (let’s say the class average is 85% and you are at 72% average) they dismiss you from Burrell and you are not able to take the COMLEX.

Is this true?

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)

There was a Reddit thread saying that although this school is P/F, if you are at the bottom of the average (let’s say the class average is 85% and you are at 72% average) they dismiss you from Burrell and you are not able to take the COMLEX.

Is this true?
I wish someone would answer this because I saw a post saying they dismissed the bottom 25% of their students to boost their complex scores.

• Wow

Is this true?

I just finished my year 1 going into year 2, so I may not be the best person to answer, but are you saying that if someone gets a 72% average on a block and it's at the bottom of the average, they get dismissed?

That sounds like complete crap lmao, a 70% is a hard pass no matter the average - to assert that they would dismiss you for that is insane. BCOM is already not exactly reputable, dismissing students who get slightly above 70% (which would be a large % of the student body) is asinine. And again, a 70% is a hard pass no matter what.

Maybe someone else can provide more perspective but yeah

I just finished my year 1 going into year 2, so I may not be the best person to answer, but are you saying that if someone gets a 72% average on a block and it's at the bottom of the average, they get dismissed?

That sounds like complete crap lmao, a 70% is a hard pass no matter the average - to assert that they would dismiss you for that is insane. BCOM is already not exactly reputable, dismissing students who get slightly above 70% (which would be a large % of the student body) is asinine. And again, a 70% is a hard pass no matter what.

Is it difficult to get let’s say 72% average on a block?

Oh wow…so do a large portion of students fail multiple blocks? I’m assuming 70% is what you need to pass?
No, passing is determined by an average and being within a certain standard deviation from that average. A vast majority of students pass their blocks. There's no need to worry.

Lol I did get that information from a Reddit thread so that should have clued me in!

Thank you for the response.

Did anyone get a call asking how they were doing on the waitlist? my heart almost dropped.

Is this true?
Just finished second year. That is absolutely false. You are only in trouble if you fail 2 classes.

Failing a class only happens if you average below 70% AND you are more than 2 standard deviations away from the mean. There’s a gray area if you’re between 1.5 and 2 standard deviations where it can go either way depending on some other stats.

If you pass all of your classes, then we just have one practice Comlex exam in May where you need to get a certain score before you’re allowed to sit for Comlex, but it’s a really low score.

I know some classmates that statistically are the bottom of my class, but they have not had any issue with taking Comlex or being dismissed.

I was rejected after my interview 5 months ago and then today I received an acceptance email. Is this normal for this school ?

• Wow
withdrawing my acceptance - good luck to those on the waitlist! :)