2022-2023 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y’all kind of a logistical question here: I was blessed to have been accepted here and signed the admission offer today 4/2/23. My deadline for the deposit is 4/5/23 and was wondering how soon after signing the offer letter do you have access to the student portal to make the online deposit. Any help would be appreciated as I’m starting to stress since it’s cutting it close to the deadline? Thanks everyone!
Congrats!!

24 hours, I signed my offer the same day and got my student portal the next day. To take some stress off of you the deposit has to be postmarked or electronically sent the date of the deadline. I saved money by sending it via mail as that was the cheaper option, just saying.

Edit: to add because I'm neurotic and I did call with my tracking number and let then know I mailed it but the letter is clear about postmarked being acceptable.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure if this has been asked before, but what’s the exam schedule like for the first 2 years? How many exams per week/month?

Not sure if this has been asked before, but what’s the exam schedule like for the first 2 years? How many exams per week/month?
Varies block to block. Most often every 2 weeks, however, there are blocks where you have quizzes at the end of every week followed by a cummulative exam and there are blocks where you have an OMM exam in-between your didactic exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone get interviewed after a “continued application review” email?

Waitlisted last night. Interview 3/16. Anyone know how the waitlist process moves along at BCOM? Interview went fantastic so I am assuming it might just be a full class already. Seems like there was a lot of movement in past years.

Waitlisted last night. Interview 3/16. Anyone know how the waitlist process moves along at BCOM? Interview went fantastic so I am assuming it might just be a full class already. Seems like there was a lot of movement in past years.
There's always a ton of movement starting in May so it's not over yet. I've had classmates that were accepted off the waitlist as late as the week before orientation

Reactions: 2 users
The waitlist is ranked however they do not disclose your position. The last interview date is April 26 and final decision will likely not come out until end of May. There should be some movement closer to the end of this month.

@WizardOfBones & @manifestingdoctor I appreciate the responses! Hopefully there will be some movement. I received a very positive response to my thank-you email from my interviewers so I know at least I didn't blow that. My MCAT was low so that probably has something to do with it. Looking to burn some Southwest points so I will likely come for a campus visit/some trail running in the Organs in the coming weeks.

Anyone know how many students they accept off of the waitlist?
I remember checking these numbers for class of 2024 and 2025 and based off info from facebook and sdn i think it was around 40-50 students per year were accepted off the waitlist. But I am not 100% sure

Reactions: 1 users
I remember checking these numbers for class of 2024 and 2025 and based off info from facebook and sdn i think it was around 40-50 students per year were accepted off the waitlist. But I am not 100% sure
I wonder how many there are on the waitlist in general.

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems like 300-400 to me😅
I mean there are only 280 in the FB group and 80 or so are current students. I know that not everyone uses facebook but I cant imagine its at that level.

Are there any calendar dates in April that we should be mindful of for any movement on the waitlist (i.e. AACOMAS asks students to finalize their decisions, etc)? I'm just a bit anxious and haven't quite decided on whether I should schedule to retake the MCAT or wait...

Are there any calendar dates in April that we should be mindful of for any movement on the waitlist (i.e. AACOMAS asks students to finalize their decisions, etc)? I'm just a bit anxious and haven't quite decided on whether I should schedule to retake the MCAT or wait...
I looked at last years app cycle and it seemed that people start moving off WL late April all the way through june

@jaggabrotha Hey! I have a question about clinical rotations. So I am from Houston Texas and have heard a possibility of a previous student getting some clinical rotations in Houston. Is this possible as I would love for my last 2 years to be in my hometown.

@jaggabrotha Hey! I have a question about clinical rotations. So I am from Houston Texas and have heard a possibility of a previous student getting some clinical rotations in Houston. Is this possible as I would love for my last 2 years to be in my hometown
Likewise interested as a Texas resident wanting to come home, but I think they automatically ship our butts to El Paso the last two years.

Likewise interested as a Texas resident wanting to come home, but I think they automatically ship our butts to El Paso the last two years.
Hoping they automatically send us Florida residents home too 🤞🏻

I’m goin to admitted student day on Friday and I’ll ask around and see what I can find out

Hoping they automatically send us Florida residents home too 🤞🏻
To my knowledge, the El Paso RAC requires 90% of the students to be from Texas. So if you're from there you most likely will end up in El Paso. During your 3rd year you have 3 elective rotations that can be done anywhere in the country (as long is it meets certain requirements). During 4th year you can do up to 8 elective I believe. Same rules as the 3rd year. As of right now Florida residents can go anywhere but you can always fill out a special request to be sent to a specific RAC.

@jaggabrotha Hey! I have a question about clinical rotations. So I am from Houston Texas and have heard a possibility of a previous student getting some clinical rotations in Houston. Is this possible as I would love for my last 2 years to be in my hometown.
Apologies for the late response. Pretty much what @WizardOfBones said above.

Omg - got the call this morning. Interviewed 3/10 and waitlisted 4/6. I had signed up to retake the MCAT and was going to re-apply. It's been an extremely long journey as a non-trad and I genuinely wish everyone the best of luck. If I can get in with my stats, so can you. I know it's easier said than done, but don't give up if this is your dream.

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Omg - got the call this morning. Interviewed 3/10 and waitlisted 4/6. I had signed up to retake the MCAT and was going to re-apply. It's been an extremely long journey as a non-trad and I genuinely wish everyone the best of luck. If I can get in with my stats, so can you. I know it's easier said than done, but don't give up if this is your dream.
Congrats! Waitlisted the same day as you. Long non trad journey as well. Hoping they can see past my garbage MCAT, this gives me hope!

• Care
I withdrew my acceptance to Burrell -- got accepted into my M.D. in-state school :) hope my seat goes to one of you deserving folks!

What does it say in the email? I was waitlisted too but haven’t heard anything.
if I understood it correctly it says that if a spot opens up, those on the priority waitlist will be offered the seat first. and anyone remaining on this waitlist at the end of the cycle will be guaranteed admission next year.

Reactions: 3 users
if I understood it correctly it says that if a spot opens up, those on the priority waitlist will be offered the seat first. and anyone remaining on this waitlist at the end of the cycle will be guaranteed admission next year.
Not to be strange but we were on a few shared threads and I’m happy for you! The HPWL is a great thing! Way to go!!

• Love
Thats how I understand it. Either way its good news. Just might have a year to do stuff that makes you happy is the way I see it!

got into an in-state school, so I withdrew my seat. GOOD LUCK everyone <3

Got the call today! Was high priority WL. WL 3/10

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Got in this past Tuesday! WL somewhere in April and then got high WL last Thursday. Very excited to start attending and meet everyone!

got in off the priority waitlist earlier today. wishing everyone still waiting good luck!