2022-2023 Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine (BCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is that the original class size? Or the current graduating class size šŸ˜…šŸ˜…
You asked the class size for the class of 2023! They entered in 2019 and their class size was 162. 2022ā€™s entering class (class of 26) was 195. This makes the match rate today an 82% with 133/162

You asked the class size for the class of 2023! They entered in 2019 and their class size was 162. 2022ā€™s entering class (class of 26) was 195. This makes the match rate today an 82% with 133/162
Yea sorry my question wasnā€™t worded great. The class of 2019, according to a BCOM PDF, has an 87% retention rate (lower than the other cohorts), meaning likely 140 students made it to match day. So their match data will say 133/140 (95%) students matched but obviously that doesnā€™t include attrition (~22 students [87% of 162]).

Some likely accurate numbers for my fellow prospective students. Think Iā€™m looking at it all correctly

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea sorry my question wasnā€™t worded great. The class of 2019, according to a BCOM PDF, has an 87% retention rate (lower than the other cohorts), meaning likely 140 students made it to match day. So their match data will say 133/140 (95%) students matched but obviously that doesnā€™t include attrition (~22 students [87% of 162]).

Some likely accurate numbers for my fellow prospective students. Think Iā€™m looking at it all correctly
yea I'd say a 94-95% match rate in that case!

Reactions: 1 user
That's one thing that scares me about this school. As pro-profit, I feel like the admin has some sense of indifference/lack of support. I don't think they cared or offered a second chance to those 30 or so that left the program. it was probably like 'oh well' thanks for the $

Late night trolling here, and just throwing this out there as food for thought as someone highly thinking of attending. According to this residency director source, they have Burrell as the top 3 worst medical schools in the nation lol. My question is think that standing will improve when I graduate in 2027, and by how much realistically? And is that a reflection of the student's work, or the direction the higher-heads and administration take?

• Wow
Late night trolling here, and just throwing this out there as food for thought as someone highly thinking of attending. According to this residency director source, they have Burrell as the top 3 worst medical schools in the nation lol. My question is think that standing will improve when I graduate in 2027, and by how much realistically? And is that a reflection of the student's work, or the direction the higher-heads and administration take?

I would take these with a grain of salt, Iā€™m not sure if thereā€™s really some internal ranking that directors have but then again Iā€™m not a director

That's one thing that scares me about this school. As pro-profit, I feel like the admin has some sense of indifference/lack of support. I don't think they cared or offered a second chance to those 30 or so that left the program. it was probably like 'oh well' thanks for the $
I honestly don't know what the class size is for the class of 2023 is right now. I will say its not that 30 students left the program. Some of those students had to take leaves of absences for various reasons that literally had nothing to do with the school and are in the class below. Some students did leave the school because they realized medical school is not for them. And ya, some had to repeat a year because they failed a remediation. So yes, we dont have the original 162 in the class but its not cuz we had 30 students fail and get kicked out or anything like that haha life happens. I almost had to take a LOA myself due to medical reasons but then decided not to, but I was very very close to doing so.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey everyone, hope everyone is coping decently with the admissions process. I was in your shoes not long ago and I realize how anxiety-inducing and terrifying it is, so I have a great deal of sympathy for you.

I am a 1st year student currently over halfway done with the 2nd semester. I'm currently on spring break and am just relaxing, so if f anyone would like to ask any questions about BCOM, I'd love to help. You can PM me if you are comfortable that way, as well. Good luck!

Hey everyone, hope everyone is coping decently with the admissions process. I was in your shoes not long ago and I realize how anxiety-inducing and terrifying it is, so I have a great deal of sympathy for you.

I am a 1st year student currently over halfway done with the 2nd semester. I'm currently on spring break and am just relaxing, so if f anyone would like to ask any questions about BCOM, I'd love to help. You can PM me if you are comfortable that way, as well. Good luck!
what are ur thoughts on the retention rate and somewhat low board scores? also i heard only 130 ish matched, and the class size is 160 ish?

what are ur thoughts on the retention rate and somewhat low board scores? also i heard only 130 ish matched, and the class size is 160 ish?
I think greenvsblack elaborated on that. The class of 2023 has an 87% retention, which leaves about 140 students graduating this year from the original 162 class size. So about 22 students didnā€™t make it to graduation. Couldā€™ve left BCOM a month after starting, couldā€™ve failed out, couldā€™ve decided medicine wasnā€™t for them. The attrition is kind of hard to decipher. But realistically 133 out of ~140 students (87% of 162) matched. Itā€™s not really an issue with matching, itā€™s more about making it through the 4 years without failing. The attrition scares me but the match doesnā€™t, the results seemed pretty strong. Even saw one matched urology.

I think greenvsblack elaborated on that. The class of 2023 has an 87% retention, which leaves about 140 students graduating this year from the original 162 class size. So about 22 students didnā€™t make it to graduation. Couldā€™ve left BCOM a month after starting, couldā€™ve failed out, couldā€™ve decided medicine wasnā€™t for them. The attrition is kind of hard to decipher. But realistically 133 out of ~140 students (87% of 162) matched. Itā€™s not really an issue with matching, itā€™s more about making it through the 4 years without failing. The attrition scares me but the match doesnā€™t, the results seemed pretty strong. Even saw one matched urology.
i wonder why there is a low retention rate

i wonder why there is a low retention rate
My theory is that BCOMā€™s start date adds to it. BCOM starts a week or two before most medical schools, including both DO schools that Iā€™m waitlisted at. So there are likely a few students who start at BCOM and then are accepted off a waitlist at a school they prefer more and starts later, and then leave BCOM for that school. Just something Iā€™ve noticed in regards to start dates. That definitely could contribute

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only a 1st year, but it's not something I would really worry much about. Some students fail blocks, which is usually due to a combo of outside circumstances, not knowing how to study, or bad time management. Other students simply take a leave of absence or drop out altogether, I know two personally who have done that. The vast and overwhelming majority of students are passing their blocks and classes.

I'm not going to let BCOM off the hook completely because I know they have a questionable history with retention rates, but if you are diligent in keeping up with the work, you should be fine.

Edit: also, some students are simply just repeating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
My theory is that BCOMā€™s start date adds to it. BCOM starts a week or two before most medical schools, including both DO schools that Iā€™m waitlisted at. So there are likely a few students who start at BCOM and then are accepted off a waitlist at a school they prefer more and starts later, and then leave BCOM for that school. Just something Iā€™ve noticed in regards to start dates. That definitely could contribute
I remember this definitely happened to at least 1 student my first year. Started at BCOM, got into another school off the waitlist that was closer to home that had a later start date, and left to go there instead. and this was someone that was considered in our original 162 class size. I can think of another 4 from the original class who realized medicine wasn't for them and decided to leave the school and pursue other things and at least 1 who took a medical LOA. So that's down to 156 already of the original class, before looking at any failures leading to repeated years.
Again I want to emphasize that ya there are concerns about the attrition rate and I get that, but there are sooooo many reasons why people do not end up graduating in 4 years that are OUTSIDE of school factors. Once you are all in medical school yourselves, you will see that life keeps going outside and sometimes you need to take a leave. you might get sick, your family might get sick and you need to go home for some time to help take care of them.
BCOM def shouldn't be left off the hook, I agree w/ ManicOperation in that regard. But I think so many people assume that the attrition rate is as high as it is because people are failing and repeating years, etc when that's really not the full story. Is that still a % of people? Absolutely. But life continues outside of medical school and some people have to delay graduation a year because they need to take care of themselves and their families.

I know about the FB group, but is there a GroupMe for accepted students this cycle?

Can any current students share the current school schedule? Like what times are lectures and labs for each day of the week? Also what is mandatory and what is recorded?

Reactions: 2 users
Didnā€™t expect to hear back today because I interviewed on 2/28, but just got the email that Iā€™m waitlisted šŸ˜­ Iā€™ve been waitlisted at all 3 schools I interviewed at so Iā€™m starting to think Iā€™m just a sucky interviewerā€¦ let the waiting games continue I guess!

• Care
Didnā€™t expect to hear back today because I interviewed on 2/28, but just got the email that Iā€™m waitlisted šŸ˜­ Iā€™ve been waitlisted at all 3 schools I interviewed at so Iā€™m starting to think Iā€™m just a sucky interviewerā€¦ let the waiting games continue I guess!
It's hard! I hope something changes in your favor!

• Care
Can any current students share the current school schedule? Like what times are lectures and labs for each day of the week? Also what is mandatory and what is recorded?
On average 3 lectures a day. Mandatory OMM on Tuesdays, mandatory PPH on Wednesdays, mandatory PCP on Thursdays, mandatory anatomy lab(s) are usually later in the week but they can also be scheduled on any other day, really.

Secondary submitted 1/8
Interview Invite 1/18
Interviewed 2/28
Acceptance 3/22 :)

Reactions: 5 users
On average 3 lectures a day. Mandatory OMM on Tuesdays, mandatory PPH on Wednesdays, mandatory PCP on Thursdays, mandatory anatomy lab(s) are usually later in the week but they can also be scheduled on any other day, really.
Thanks! What are the time frames for the labs and lectures?

Thanks! What are the time frames for the labs and lectures?
Lectures typically run from 8AM-12/1PM.

OMM is an 1 hour and 20 mins long and you have a fixed time for the semester depending what college you're in

PCP is an hour long but the times change weekly, same with anatomy

Lectures typically run from 8AM-12/1PM.

OMM is an 1 hour and 20 mins long and you have a fixed time for the semester depending what college you're in

PCP is an hour long but the times change weekly, same with anatomy
Thank you so much!

Is it pretty much all waitlist or an R from here on out? I interviewed 3/10.

Is it pretty much all waitlist or an R from here on out? I interviewed 3/10.
Have faith! Schools usually accept quite a few more than their class size bc ofc not everyone's gonna accept their offers and tons of students get accepted the last few months of the application cycle as well.

Haven't heard back, interviewed March 2nd. Do they send out physical mail or email because i haven't been at my home for a while

I interviewed 3/3 and got the WL email today. Iā€™m blessed enough to receive an A from somewhere else so Iā€™m probably gonna withdraw my WL spot

I was offered an interview on 3/27 (after receiving a continued application review email on 1/27/23). I decided to decline since i have been accepted else where. Hope it goes to anyone waiting for an interview!

N=1 but that was probably one of my hardest interviews so far. I'm not sure if it's just me but I had both interviewers that were bad cops and put in multiple stress situations/questions. I answered all of their questions but each answer gave them deeper questions to ask me. It didn't seem like a conversation but more like a grilling process. They didn't even ask me who I was either which ruined the mood for me to fully express who I am.
Lol I lowkey feel like I had a similar experience with one of the interviewers. Idk why it made me more nervous. Oh well.

What is the school stance on letter of interest or intent? Recently interviewed Havenā€™t heard back yet. Thinking about sending a LOI

What is the school stance on letter of interest or intent? Recently interviewed Havenā€™t heard back yet. Thinking about sending a LOI
Iā€™m not sure if mine had any effect on their decision. I had what felt like a wonderful interview but I still sent a LOI around week 3 and was accepted on week 4. Idk when you interviewed but their decisions are solidly made week 4.

Iā€™m not sure if mine had any effect on their decision. I had what felt like a wonderful interview but I still sent a LOI around week 3 and was accepted on week 4. Idk when you interviewed but their decisions are solidly made week 4.
What is an LOI?

Yes I felt like my interview was pretty good (could be completely wrong lol) and I quite like the school! Have begun drafting a LOI, just wasnā€™t sure if Burrell accepts them. Thanks and congrats!

Yes I felt like my interview was pretty good (could be completely wrong lol) and I quite like the school! Have begun drafting a LOI, just wasnā€™t sure if Burrell accepts them. Thanks and congrats!
Admissions was quick to reply they were adding it to my file. Goodluck!!

Hey yā€™all kind of a logistical question here: I was blessed to have been accepted here and signed the admission offer today 4/2/23. My deadline for the deposit is 4/5/23 and was wondering how soon after signing the offer letter do you have access to the student portal to make the online deposit. Any help would be appreciated as Iā€™m starting to stress since itā€™s cutting it close to the deadline? Thanks everyone!