Campbell University (CUSOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait. What? They are now offering wait listed spots? As well as acceptances?

I would like to know this as well, does that mean there are not any more spots open? Or does it mean they will be offering wait lists in addition to acceptances? I have an interview in 5 day and that would be a huge bummer if they are out of spots.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I would like to know this as well, does that mean there are not any more spots open? Or does it mean they will be offering wait lists in addition to acceptances? I have an interview in 5 day and that would be a huge bummer if they are out of spots.

Joy told us the date I interviewed which was the 13 is the last day for acceptances or rejections. Next interviews are for waitlist or rejections. I was lucky enough to squueze in. But only 8/16 ppl showed up for the interview. So maybe more ppl will deny their acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
Joy told us the date I interviewed which was the 13 is the last day for acceptances or rejections. Next interviews are for waitlist or rejections. I was lucky enough to squueze in. But only 8/16 ppl showed up for the interview. So maybe more ppl will deny their acceptances.
Ouch. Feeling less excited about my Feb 13th interview. :(

I called someone from admissions and asked. She said that there are still seats available and odds are next week's interviewers will get them. Also, she mentioned that the previous round of acceptances haven't responded yet, and they have had acceptances withdrawn recently. Bottom line, she said they haven't put an official date on 'yes' or 'no' vs. 'wait listed.'

Reactions: 2 users
I called someone from admissions and asked. She said that there are still seats available and odds are next week's interviewers will get them. Also, she mentioned that the previous round of acceptances haven't responded yet, and they have had acceptances withdrawn recently. Bottom line, she said they haven't put an official date on 'yes' or 'no' vs. 'wait listed.'
Good to hear then, I was just passing on the news that I heard. It makes sense because what if the students that interview my day didn't match with CUSOM's mission, so there is still a possibility seats are still available.

Question about the school though, how do you guys feel that the school is still provisional accredited? Do you think that will effect the students at all and if so how?

Question about the school though, how do you guys feel that the school is still provisional accredited? Do you think that will effect the students at all and if so how?
All schools stay provisional until their first class graduates, that's not an issue

What SB (I imagine it's Silent Bob) said. I'm fairly confident that Campbell graduate stats are gonna skyrocket Campbell's priority in people's school lists. These people are planning only for success and have left very little room for anything else.
At least that's what my proud mom says.

Reactions: 4 users

Thanks for sharing this bit of info. Fingers crossed for next week!

Staying at the Microtel, interviewing the 20th! If anyone will be around and wants to grab dinner, let me know :)

Staying at the Microtel, interviewing the 20th! If anyone will be around and wants to grab dinner, let me know :)

I just got into town today, shoot me a PM if you're still wanting to do dinner.

Members don't see this ad :)
ii 1/26/2015 let me know if anyone else is this day :)

Guys, anybody received interview invitation today? Any idea when the next round of invitations will be sent out?

Hopefully next week so that my application will be considered :)

Wait-listed :banana::xf::xf::xf:. Huge sigh of relief from what Joy told me about this position yesterday. CUSOM is where I belong <3! One step closer to being a Camel!!!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
BTW --> HAPPY HUMP DAY (insert camel emoji here)

Wait-listed :banana::xf::xf::xf:. Huge sigh of relief from what Joy told me about this position yesterday. CUSOM is where I belong <3! One step closer to being a Camel!!!!!!!

What does Joy tell you about this position? Would you mind telling us? Does that mean you will be accepted once a spot becomes available?

"The wait list is a good place to be. It means we've accepted you, but don't have a seat."
Every student of CUSOM that I spoke with on my interview day was wait-listed before he/she was accepted. Some huge number like 60-70 calls were made last year to pull people off the wait-list. Begins about March... up until the first week of classes. I've heard if people don't show up to the first day of classes... calls go out after that too (mind = blown).

Maybe that's why the white coat ceremony is in October?

"The wait list is a good place to be. It means we've accepted you, but don't have a seat."
Every student of CUSOM that I spoke with on my interview day was wait-listed before he/she was accepted. Some huge number like 60-70 calls were made last year to pull people off the wait-list. Begins about March... up until the first week of classes. I've heard if people don't show up to the first day of classes... calls go out after that too (mind = blown).
I only know a handful of people that got in off the waitlist within a month of school starting, certainly not the majority by any means. Like any medical school there is a chance you will get in off the waitlist, but I find it really odd she would make it seem like a guarantee. Also, by time orientation began every seat was filled and nobody was brought in off the waitlist. Just thought I would clear that up for you. Good luck!

Yes, it HAS happened :slap:. My cousin goes to school here and has told me it's happened to her classmates... and I found one of the students that got the call AFTER the first day last year :pompous:.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 1.27.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 1.27.19 AM.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 97
sighs. you dont have the full story on that person from your sdn screenshot, students on here however do have a good idea of what happened. there were no phone calls after orientation started in the 2018 class. for 2017 class there was a deferment but nobody came in after orientation started.

good luck on the wait list, but it would be foolish to think its a good place to be and like @jaguar33 said - I highly doubt anybody from admissions intentionally implied otherwise. Its rather easy to confuse words of encouragement. You should stay hopeful and keep in touch with them but nobody would expect as many students to come off the waitlist as you are implying.

EDIT: easy on the smileys..

I was at this interview and can confirm that it was said that "The wait list is a good place to be." There was no room for interpretation, it was most definitely spoken of in a positive way. I think why some people might find this hard to believe is because they don't have all of the information. We were told at the interview that we could be a mix of acceptances and wait lists due to a low number of spots available at the time. Because CUSOM doesn't start a wait list until their class is filled, this leads me to believe that people from our interview were the first on the wait list, so they won't need a large number of people to drop to gain an acceptance. I think that's why admissions were so positive about wait list.

Reactions: 1 users
I was at this interview and can confirm that it was said that "The wait list is a good place to be." There was no room for interpretation, it was most definitely spoken of in a positive way. I think why some people might find this hard to believe is because they don't have all of the information. We were told at the interview that we could be a mix of acceptances and wait lists due to a low number of spots available at the time. Because CUSOM doesn't start a wait list until their class is filled, this leads me to believe that people from our interview were the first on the wait list, so they won't need a large number of people to drop to gain an acceptance. I think that's why admissions were so positive about wait list.
and january is still early in the year...a number of applicants will have multiple acceptances that they haven't chosen from yet....movement will happen

Reactions: 3 users
and january is still early in the year...a number of applicants will have multiple acceptances that they haven't chosen from yet....movement will happen

Exactly, that's why its not "foolish" to think wait list this early is a good place to be.

sighs. you dont have the full story on that person from your sdn screenshot, students on here however do have a good idea of what happened. there were no phone calls after orientation started in the 2018 class. for 2017 class there was a deferment but nobody came in after orientation started.

good luck on the wait list, but it would be foolish to think its a good place to be and like @jaguar33 said - I highly doubt anybody from admissions intentionally implied otherwise. Its rather easy to confuse words of encouragement. You should stay hopeful and keep in touch with them but nobody would expect as many students to come off the waitlist as you are implying.

EDIT: easy on the smileys..

I am in the 2017 class, and there was one person who was accepted off the wait list after orientation during the first week of our actual classes.

I agree that the waitlist better than a rejection. I just found it a little hard to believe that she would say "it means we have accepted you but you dont have a seat." If you were accepted you would have recieved an acceptance packet, not a waitlist letter. There will absolutely be a lot of movement from people who put down a deposit and decided to attend another school, but there will always be people left on the waitlist when everything is said and done. How else would they be able to pull all those people off the wait list during orientation/first week of school so that CUSOM can have a white coat ceremony;)

I agree that the waitlist better than a rejection. I just found it a little hard to believe that she would say "it means we have accepted you but you dont have a seat." If you were accepted you would have recieved an acceptance packet, not a waitlist letter. There will absolutely be a lot of movement from people who put down a deposit and decided to attend another school, but there will always be people left on the waitlist when everything is said and done. How else would they be able to pull all those people off the wait list during orientation/first week of school so that CUSOM can have a white coat ceremony;)

I thought CUSOM can't/doesn't give out acceptances unless they have an open spot (they don't over accept)? Which if true, makes sense why someone would be given a wait list letter instead of an acceptance packet at this point in the cycle and be told they have been accepted but that there just isn't a seat for them yet.

So...I just got an invite for a secondary from CUSOM. Thats right, Secondary. Any feedback on whether its even worth it at this point?

Have four II's but no acceptances as of yet.

So...I just got an invite for a secondary from CUSOM. Thats right, Secondary. Any feedback on whether its even worth it at this point?

Have four II's but no acceptances as of yet.

Are those II's in the future? Or have you been waiting to hear / waitlisted?

I never sent in my secondary to CUSOM but I wrote really good responses to their questions and oddly enough just recently felt the desire to finish my app. But like you, I'm weary about the timeline. My two cents: it really depends on your stats, because honestly I've found this whole process to be a crap shoot. There have been people who submitted their secondary in mid December and landed an early January interview. So with strong stats you may not wait very long to be reviewed. Only my opinion..

I just submitted my secondary last week! My stats aren't amazing, but I'm hoping for a miracle!

Last edited:
Dean's update today.....over 500 spaces arranged so far for rotating 3rd/4th year students and 160+residency slots signed and approved with discussions for a significant additional amount in process

Reactions: 2 users
I would love to see them establish a General Surgery residency. I know that NC and Rural NC is down on General Surgeons so it's seem like a great opportunity for filling the need in under served areas

Dean's update today.....over 500 spaces arranged so far for rotating 3rd/4th year students and 160+residency slots signed and approved with discussions for a significant additional amount in process
Any word on where those 3rd/4th year rotation spots will be and/or how they'll be doled out?

Interviewed today and was impressed. Kinda sucks it's wait list only at this point :p

Any word on where those 3rd/4th year rotation spots will be and/or how they'll be doled out?
So far they had deals with wakemed and places in Charlotte and Fayetteville and Raleigh as well as some community/rural places and you sign up and request a spot in some region where'd you'd stay for years 3 and 4 and do all your rotations there and basically they said after you sign up they try to give you your first or second choice

So far they had deals with wakemed and places in Charlotte and Fayetteville and Raleigh as well as some community/rural places and you sign up and request a spot in some region where'd you'd stay for years 3 and 4 and do all your rotations there and basically they said after you sign up they try to give you your first or second choice
Yes, and Lumberton. There are currently five areas from which to choose.