Class of 2018...how you doin? ;)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I ran into this problem many, many times. Dobermans, no matter how well-behaved, were simply not allowed. I told them I was going to be a vet student, that he was older, that he was CGC-tested, and that I'd be happy to have a temperament exam done by a veterinarian...didn't matter. A lot of responses I received were that the management's insurance wouldn't cover the breed or if they allowed me to have a restricted breed, then they'd have to allow everyone a restricted breed...blegh. Sucks. :\ But I did finally find a nice place, so I'm sure you'll find something too!

Members don't see this ad.

I've only found two that accept both huskies and ferrets. I'm worried about the one because they said they won't know until 60 days prior to my move in date what will be available. The second has no waitlist, you just sign a lease and that seems odd to me.

I just want to graduate already. Then I can enjoy summer before VET SCHOOLL!!! Still excited. Can't stop the excitement.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Might just have a housing situation coming together perfectly - a nice 3BR with a fourth-year student living downstairs (and therefore a source of wisdom) and two other V'18's living with me upstairs. Now I have to go check the house out by myself, but one of the girls already said it looks great, plus rent is cheap!

Rabies vaccine series starting today! For some reason, that makes this whole thing so much more real! :soexcited:

I hope everyone enjoys this summer! Have fun, take a vacation, and see as many friends and family members that you can!

You might also want to practice living on a really small budget in preparation for vet school.

Learn to cook for the week and freeze meals so you won't have to live off ramen and fast food.

I highly recommend not getting a puppy. (I did and regretted it - she isn't very well behaved, and isn't super bonded to me because I was/am never home).

But most of all... get excited about SCHOOL SUPPLIES! That is the best part about starting a new year of school (for me).

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it - from your professors, your classmates, or people on SDN. We're here for you!

Reactions: 6 users
Rabies vaccine series starting today! For some reason, that makes this whole thing so much more real! :soexcited:
One of my lab members gave me the rabies inoculation thing from her cat's collar. I laughed so hard! I wear it on my employee ID chain now :D

Reactions: 1 user
We got an email from wisconsin saying we can enroll for our classes starting Monday. I'm pretty excited in a nerdy kind of way... Haha

I've heard nothing from my school... Just that I'm admitted, but no info about rabies vaccines, supplies, class enrollment... Do schools normally start sending out info around now?:confused: I feel like I've emailed the school so many times already asking questions.

I've heard nothing from my school... Just that I'm admitted, but no info about rabies vaccines, supplies, class enrollment... Do schools normally start sending out info around now?:confused: I feel like I've emailed the school so many times already asking questions.

I haven't heard anything either. I heard it's normal for most schools (maybe because they don't want to mass send out information when there are still people to call off the waitlist?), and I think for Mizzou we won't hear until summer sometime.

On another note... I was able to sign a lease for an apartment yesterday! I'm so excited to find a place, it was stressing me out more than I would like to admit. Now on to finishing the (last :eek:) semester of undergrad!

I haven't heard anything either, other than what was given in the admissions packet. I've already completed my vaccines and the only thing keeping me from being fully accepted is my spring transcript from A&M. Which I obviously have to wait a few more weeks for. I'd love to get more info on class schedule, supplies, orientation, etc. Hopefully soon!

Also, if anyone has BCBS, check to see what billing code they'll use for rabies. If it matches whatever the clinic uses, you'll get the vaccines completely covered. Saved me over $600!

I haven't heard anything either, other than what was given in the admissions packet. I've already completed my vaccines and the only thing keeping me from being fully accepted is my spring transcript from A&M. Which I obviously have to wait a few more weeks for. I'd love to get more info on class schedule, supplies, orientation, etc. Hopefully soon!

Also, if anyone has BCBS, check to see what billing code they'll use for rabies. If it matches whatever the clinic uses, you'll get the vaccines completely covered. Saved me over $600!
How do you check the billing code? I just had my last shot this morning and BCBS still hasn't told me if it will be covered or not...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah schools might not send stuff out until their class is much more finalized.

I don't think you really need much information for the rabies vaccine. What I did was call the Infectious Diseases clinic within my local hospital, where we set up a time and they had the rabies vaccine ordered. Since it's so uncommon, it will likely have to be ordered wherever you go - you could also try asking your GP. IMPORTANTLY, make sure you have a conversation where you have your insurance card in front of you so you know whether or not it'll be covered. If you're getting insurance through your school it'll likely be fully covered - I'm still on my parent's plan for another year so I had to check. The rabies vaccine is 3 injections over a month, and they should really be done timely, so make sure you're gonna be around for that month.

How do you check the billing code? I just had my last shot this morning and BCBS still hasn't told me if it will be covered or not...

I called and spoke with a rep at BCBS and she told me what billing/administration code they would accept as covered under "immunization/injectable medicine." I then called the student health center here on campus and asked what codes they would use to file a claim. And the codes matched! All three of my shots have been covered. I should note that I have BCBS-TX and I have the student insurance plan. Not sure if that'll make a difference or not.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, okay. I haven't gotten the vaccines yet because I've heard some schools don't require the vaccine until third year. If it only takes a month, i can wait a while before asking Oregon if they require it.

I'm getting so excited for September!!!! I keep alternating between being nervous and being really, really happy to be going to vet school soon.

One more presentation and final tomorrow and then I am DONE with my Master's :) I was ready for the semester to be over with since about 2 weeks in (that was really not a good sign). So close and the motivation is plummeting...

Not super related, but I JUST secured Beyonce & Jay Z tickets for their On the Run tour this summer... my treat to myself for getting into vet school!

Not super related, but I JUST secured Beyonce & Jay Z tickets for their On the Run tour this summer... my treat to myself for getting into vet school!

OMG ME TOO!!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Sooooo, I have a question for you all. What are you planning on taking notes with in vet school? Paper notes? Or are you thinking you'll take notes on a computer or tablet? I was just wondering what everyone thinks on this. I've just been wondering about it.

Also, if any upperclassmen see this, what kind of notes do you prefer, and why?

Sooooo, I have a question for you all. What are you planning on taking notes with in vet school? Paper notes? Or are you thinking you'll take notes on a computer or tablet? I was just wondering what everyone thinks on this. I've just been wondering about it.

I use a Surface and all my notes are digital and stored on a OneDrive. That way it's automatically synced with my desktop and my phone. I like having a keyboard for longer notes and then being able to scribble on the screen and circle stuff directly.

I use a Surface and all my notes are digital and stored on a OneDrive. That way it's automatically synced with my desktop and my phone. I like having a keyboard for longer notes and then being able to scribble on the screen and circle stuff directly.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking about getting a Yoga. I was reading on another thread some people talking about different computers.
Have you always taken notes electronically? Or just when you started vet school? I take only paper notes currently, and am wondering if I would have trouble getting used to electronic notes.

I got a tablet this year, and I'm planning to use that in vet school. It's an ipad, and I've used both Notability and One Note (I think that's the name). I like One Note better because it's more organized in my opinion, but for some reason mine doesn't allow me to draw anything on it, which I heard it's supposed to do. I got a free app, maybe there's a better version that's not free. I'm also planning to get a pen thing so I can draw on the lecture slides or my notes more neatly than with my finger, or handwrite stuff like equations. I have a little keyboard that attaches to it, so I can type faster.

My handwritten notes are terrible. Sometimes because the lecturer jumps around, but a lot of times it's just my brain jumping around and my notes get filled with arrows, unfinished thoughts, and crossing out and are a mess. Plus they tend to get lost, ripped, or otherwise destroyed.

Thanks. Yeah, I'm thinking about getting a Yoga. I was reading on another thread some people talking about different computers.
Have you always taken notes eleictronically? Or just when you started vet school? I take only paper notes currently, and am wondering if I would have trouble getting used to electronic notes.
I've taken electronic notes since undergrad. I have lousy handwriting and I'm horrible at organizing paper notes (I lose them or mean to put them in a binder right after class but it never happens). I'd say at least half our class uses electronic notes now.

ETA: @WillowLeaf I think we might be the same person...

I've always been a hand-written-notes-kind-of-person, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up/willing to print anything that isn't provided by the professors. There's just something about writing notes out that makes it stick better in my brain. I've heard from some of the 3VMs that a tablet will now be required, so I guess I'll have to get one...not sure if it'll be needed for first year or not...I was hoping to wait until Black Friday to snatch one up for cheaper. :\

I'm thinking about the same thing.. I have a lightweight HP laptop that I love, but I think I might want to get a tablet for taking notes in class so that I can draw/write but also type... my husband was looking at a Lenovo something or other.. One thing that I've heard people talk about is a program that will record while you are writing/typing and when you are reviewing your notes you can click on a part that you don't understand and it will start a playback of that part of the lecture... is that a mac only thing? I would really like a pc version..haha

I would say for the most part, it just isn't feasible to hand write notes in vet school... I used to be one to print out powerpoints and write notes... but I've adjusted to taking notes on my iPad and now sometimes even directly onto my laptop.

I've always been a hand-written-notes-kind-of-person, but I don't know if I'll be able to keep up/willing to print anything that isn't provided by the professors. There's just something about writing notes out that makes it stick better in my brain. I've heard from some of the 3VMs that a tablet will now be required, so I guess I'll have to get one...not sure if it'll be needed for first year or not...I was hoping to wait until Black Friday to snatch one up for cheaper. :\
At the interview for one vet school, they gave a presentation about technology and told us about a couple tablets. They said some people who learn by handwriting get a tablet, and a pen for the tablet, and use a program that allows you to handwrite all your notes (and recognizes handwriting for searching, which is pretty cool). That way it's still stored electronically if that's any easier for you to organize, and you don't have to print everything.

I'm thinking about the same thing.. I have a lightweight HP laptop that I love, but I think I might want to get a tablet for taking notes in class so that I can draw/write but also type... my husband was looking at a Lenovo something or other.. One thing that I've heard people talk about is a program that will record while you are writing/typing and when you are reviewing your notes you can click on a part that you don't understand and it will start a playback of that part of the lecture... is that a mac only thing? I would really like a pc version..haha
I've heard there's a program like that for non-mac tablets, at least, if that's what you mean by pc. Not sure about laptops. Also not sure what program that was, so I'm not sure how helpful this answer is haha.

I've heard there's a program like that for non-mac tablets, at least, if that's what you mean by pc. Not sure about laptops. Also not sure what program that was, so I'm not sure how helpful this answer is haha.

Haha yea.. I guess I mean windows? I don't know.. I'm pretty computer illiterate.. all I know is that using a mac would be a huge learning curve so I would ideally want to stick with windows.

I just got a tablet that I plan to use for vet school. I got the galaxy note pro, and any of the note tablets have a bamboo stylus so its really good for handwriting. Logitech and some others also make a keyboard for the tablets, if you're into typing. I would recommend the note if you're looking for a tablet!

At the interview for one vet school, they gave a presentation about technology and told us about a couple tablets. They said some people who learn by handwriting get a tablet, and a pen for the tablet, and use a program that allows you to handwrite all your notes (and recognizes handwriting for searching, which is pretty cool). That way it's still stored electronically if that's any easier for you to organize, and you don't have to print everything.

Yes, this is what I hear. And I'm very open to getting a tablet...it's just not really money I have. If I could wait long enough to get one on sale/as a Christmas/Birthday gift, then that'd be great! I'd probably have to go with a Windows tablet, because of the ones I've messed with in person, they've been my favorite (Surface, especially). I guess I'll wait to get the official materials list from the school before I start stressing too much about it. I could, yanno, be responsible and save the money that I plan on using for my Disney trip to buy the necessaries for school...but...what fun is that? :laugh: I don't think I could ever regret going to Disney World!

I mostly do electronic... of course I don't actually take that many notes in class. It's important to be flexible, because the same method won't necessarily work for all classes. For classes when we get notes that are primarily in an outline format rather than slides (ie, for anatomy), I generally just print the notes because I hate viewing them on my ipad or computer. Otherwise I like using my ipad with a stylus and keyboard, depending on what I'm writing down. After trying things like notability and evernote and a bunch of word processing app, I've come to use the iannotate app (it's a pdf annotator). You can draw, highlight, insert text, underline, stamp things, record voice notes, and search through the notes (won't generally search your annotations though). I sometimes wind up printing my notes afterwards to study off of, but by printing them myself I can control what I want to print/how I want to print it to save money, and also still have an electronic copy of all of my notes.

Microsoft OneNote lets you integrate audio. PowerPoint will also record audio as you go through the slides.

Thanks everyone! Seriously. That makes me feel better. I'm one of those people who thinks about every last detail and starts to wonder what everyone else does. It's helpful getting all this input.

I checked out the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition today and absolutely fell in love with it. It comes with the S Pen, which allows you to circle what you have written and change it into a font so it can be readable if you have bad handwriting :p One of the reviews for it on Amazon was written by a vet student, and it seems to work really well for them!

Thanks everyone! Seriously. That makes me feel better. I'm one of those people who thinks about every last detail and starts to wonder what everyone else does. It's helpful getting all this input.
Don't overthink it at this point. I thought I had everything perfectly planned out at the beginning of the first semester, then wound up spending my entire semester trying out different note taking methods to try to find the best ones for each class. I find now that after a semester of building up a toolbox of different note taking/study methods, I can now pretty easily predict what I'll need to do for that section just from looking at a professor's lecture slides. So, it's good to try out a lot of things (obviously, that gets tricky when you're making an investment like a tablet). Just don't be like me and set your tablet on a stool in the anatomy lab then bump it so that it flips off the stool and falls face first on the floor, hits the base of the table on the way down and shatters beyond repair.

At OSU, we have note packets that are printed for us (that we have to purchase at the beginning of each semester). I started out taking notes on my laptop/iPad but actually started taking notes on paper by just filling in details for that aren't included in the notes. And my grades have gone up this summer. Go figure! Your mileage may vary ;)

Don't overthink it at this point. I thought I had everything perfectly planned out at the beginning of the first semester, then wound up spending my entire semester trying out different note taking methods to try to find the best ones for each class. I find now that after a semester of building up a toolbox of different note taking/study methods, I can now pretty easily predict what I'll need to do for that section just from looking at a professor's lecture slides. So, it's good to try out a lot of things (obviously, that gets tricky when you're making an investment like a tablet). Just don't be like me and set your tablet on a stool in the anatomy lab then bump it so that it flips off the stool and falls face first on the floor, hits the base of the table on the way down and shatters beyond repair.

Oh, don't worry. It's not like worry overthinking. I just get really curious about these kinds of things. And if I don't get an answer, I just keep thinking about it. Not worried.

I'm also looking for a good tablet/computer 2 in 1 kind of thing, like the Yoga. I was actually pretty set on getting one, but I was just reading reviews about how the notetaking capabilites aren't that great...and that it notices your palm if you rest it on the computer while taking notes....I don't like that at all, but there aren't many other tablet/computers. I don't want something like a Surface; its keyboard is too flimsy for me. I want an actual computer, that can eventually become a tablet. I don't know if anyone knows any good ones....?

Notabillity app for ipad does this. You can download powerpoints PDFs and other documents to notability. Hit record before the lecture starts and everything will sync! It now syncs with both your typing and your handwriting. I find it really useful to help pinpoint the part of lecture I want to hear. Sometimes I just put a asterisk in my notes so I know to listen there. Not sure if non-ipad tablets will let you click on specific parts to playback but I know other ones will record.

Notabillity app for ipad does this. You can download powerpoints PDFs and other documents to notability. Hit record before the lecture starts and everything will sync! It now syncs with both your typing and your handwriting. I find it really useful to help pinpoint the part of lecture I want to hear. Sometimes I just put a asterisk in my notes so I know to listen there. Not sure if non-ipad tablets will let you click on specific parts to playback but I know other ones will record.
GO STUDY!! :p

At OSU, we have note packets that are printed for us (that we have to purchase at the beginning of each semester). I started out taking notes on my laptop/iPad but actually started taking notes on paper by just filling in details for that aren't included in the notes. And my grades have gone up this summer. Go figure! Your mileage may vary ;)

We also get printed notes that we pay for. I write/highlight the notes during lecture. Especially since writing in the power point on a tablet ends up making you write more than if you just look at the printed notes and realize what the professor said is in those notes, just not explained on the power point.

I would say for the most part, it just isn't feasible to hand write notes in vet school... I used to be one to print out powerpoints and write notes... but I've adjusted to taking notes on my iPad and now sometimes even directly onto my laptop.

Handwriting notes is quite feasible, you can't rewrite all of your notes as a study method but handwriting notes during lecture is very feasible.

Handwriting notes is quite feasible, you can't rewrite all of your notes as a study method but handwriting notes during lecture is very feasible.
I guess I should have worded this a bit better (that's just my brain from finals week). I think the problem with trying to take hand written notes is having to print off so many papers... that is the part that is not feasible, at least here, I think.... I cannot imagine having to print off 100+ power point slides for some lectures. I do prefer to handwrite notes when I can if we do get the option to buy our notes from the bookstore- and will do that if it is an option. Hopefully that clears it up- sorry for any confusion on it.

For Auburn we are required to purchase the Lenovo Thinkpad yoga tablet through the school (which costs $2200 :eek: ). As an apple fanatic it's going to be tough for me to give up my MacBook and iPad. But it is nice it will be serviced throughout the 4 years and all the notes will be on it.

Last edited:
At LSU we get printed notes (that we pay for) too. I use my tablet for taking notes in the few classes we don't get notes for (anatomy, I don't think anything else at this point) with a keyboard. I like having the ability to draw in the middle of my notes if I want to, especially in different colors--plus it's a lot lighter than my laptop so I can easily carry it in my backpack all the time. For most classes though, I just highlight and handwrite notes in the powerpoints we were given. I know some people still take all electronic notes, though.

I guess I should have worded this a bit better (that's just my brain from finals week). I think the problem with trying to take hand written notes is having to print off so many papers... that is the part that is not feasible, at least here, I think.... I cannot imagine having to print off 100+ power point slides for some lectures. I do prefer to handwrite notes when I can if we do get the option to buy our notes from the bookstore- and will do that if it is an option. Hopefully that clears it up- sorry for any confusion on it.

You don't have to print off notes to take notes. I have never printed a power point since vet school started and I take handwritten notes. Yes, most of our notes are printed for us and provided and I write in those, they are not power points though. And for classes that don't have printed notes, I use paper in a notebook, good ol fashion note taking, back before there was such a thing as power point. ;)

I do agree though, I wouldn't print off lectures. But it is feasible to buy notebook paper and write notes in those. For anyone that is used to the old fashioned way of things. :)

ETA: I just didn't want anyone seeing all the computer/tablet talk and panicking thinking that they are going to have to get one and have to use it to take notes. There are other options. If the school requires you to get a tablet then do so, but write notes in whatever way is most comfortable to you.

Last edited:
I'll also note that if you choose to print your own notes instead of purchasing printed notes, ie, you want to print some but not all of them or want to print them in a different format, I highly recommend getting a laser printer. Mine was about $100 (its monochrome), and i go through about one large toner cartridge a semester, which is $50. This next time I'm going to just try refilling my cartridge for $5... we'll see how it goes. And I have a giant Sam's club box of paper that will probably last me at least two years that was $50. So first semester probably cost about $165, but now it's going to be~$20 a semester... So, a lot cheaper than buying printed notes for me, even though I print probably half of my notes at some point in the studying process.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll also note that if you choose to print your own notes instead of purchasing printed notes, ie, you want to print some but not all of them or want to print them in a different format, I highly recommend getting a laser printer. Mine was about $100 (its monochrome), and i go through about one large toner cartridge a semester, which is $50. This next time I'm going to just try refilling my cartridge for $5... we'll see how it goes. And I have a giant Sam's club box of paper that will probably last me at least two years that was $50. So first semester probably cost about $165, but now it's going to be~$20 a semester... So, a lot cheaper than buying printed notes for me, even though I print probably half of my notes at some point in the studying process.

Since you go to UMN, are the printed notes expensive? Do a lot of people buy them?

Since you go to UMN, are the printed notes expensive? Do a lot of people buy them?
Yeah a lot of people buy them... I don't know how much they ultimately end up costing people, but I know that the average cost of 1st year spring semester is $170. I think it was a bit less fall semester. However, I should note the one advantage is that a lot of the notes come in nice bound packets.