Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To add to this Vandy conversation, I had an amazing time as well! Aside from meeting the lovely @hellanutella and the extremely friendly population of Nashville, I was pretty sold on the school and the curriculum. I posted my summary in the 'apps (I will get around to writing about Columbia, eventually), but here are some photos:

288ayy8.jpg

View from my hotel room

t0t1nd.jpg

From a show I saw one of the nights

11k8idg.jpg

Country livin'

azdzis.jpg

Walking through the medical school campus

awz2ua.jpg

Vanderbilt hospital

2ltj50g.jpg

Vandy undergrad (absolutely stunning)

2utspat.jpg

Was not able to rotate this for some reason... But this is downtown Nashville
bmi_pop_awards_99982170-x600.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
To add to this Vandy conversation, I had an amazing time as well! Aside from meeting the lovely @hellanutella and the extremely friendly population of Nashville, I was pretty sold on the school and the curriculum. I posted my summary in the 'apps (I will get around to writing about Columbia, eventually), but here are some photos:

288ayy8.jpg

View from my hotel room

t0t1nd.jpg

From a show I saw one of the nights

11k8idg.jpg

Country livin'

azdzis.jpg

Walking through the medical school campus

awz2ua.jpg

Vanderbilt hospital

2ltj50g.jpg

Vandy undergrad (absolutely stunning)

2utspat.jpg

Was not able to rotate this for some reason... But this is downtown Nashville

Love love love your photos and summary, especially the recaps from your adventures. (Glad you got some honky tonk karaoke in!). You basically distilled all the interview info into one easily-digestible summary. @Person0715 , be sure to check out Tess's info!

It was also awesome meeting you! Hopefully our paths intersect again.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh god. One of my trains was 50 minutes late, causing me to miss my next train by 5 minutes. Oh life. Nothing like frantically trying to navigate Penn Station!

I hope this track of delayed buses, flights and trains ends soon :D seems like everyone has experienced some trouble recently!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh god. One of my trains was 50 minutes late, causing me to miss my next train by 5 minutes. Oh life. Nothing like frantically trying to navigate Penn Station!

I hope this track of delayed buses, flights and trains ends soon :D seems like everyone has experienced some trouble recently!

Yea my flight just got delayed.

BUT I'm Finish with SLU!! Amazing school!

I've been tired and pretty sick lately, and I feel I've missed so much on here!

@Cyberdyne 101, I love all your tswift pictures and gifs! That made me chuckle... my best friend loves her and we often end up watching her music videos and commenting on how dramatic they are and having far too in depth conversations about the story behind her lyrics.
@infinitessimal, Vandy looks gorgeous!! Their curriculum also sounds amazing - hope everything went well!
@Sandmeezy, major congrats on your acceptance!!!! What a relief that must be -- good luck on all your other interviews, and go celebrate! :hardy:
@sunflower18, I was reading your Brown summary and it sounds like a wonderful place! Very impressive that they took the effort to pair you up with another writer and seemed to really know your application. That is really meaningful! Hope your other interviews this week went well, too (Albany, right?)!
@Jr MD, Glad you liked SLU (even though your flight is delayed)!! I was really impressed when I visited, and I hope we both hear some good news from them!

Hope everyone else is doing well!! I can't believe how close Oct. 15 is... I have class that day, and I imagine I'll sit in the back, checking my phone fretfully.

Reactions: 5 users

Penn Station blows balls UGH. Can't wait until something gets done about it

http://nydailynews.com/new-york/mta-board-member-improvements-needed-penn-station-article-1.1844348

Members don't see this ad :)
Y'all are great. I'm glad everyone had good interviews and that you navigated you traveling issues.

My bus out of Albany totally got cancelled and they gave me two options. A 3 o'clock one that would make me miss my bus in NYC or a 12:30 one that left 10 minutes after I got out of the interview. Damn it sketchy Chinese bus company.

@spockprime, sorry you haven't been feeling well :( I hope you feel better soon!!
Obviously, I love Taylor!!

It's great that someone's music and overall presence can make me feel like the little boy in this video. I don't have cancer, but I have struggled with debilitating musculoskeletal disease for quite some time and it looks like I'm going to prevail and have a healthy life!

Anyway, you are all amazing and inspirational!! And I can't wait for the excellent news that's just around the corner!!

Last edited:

@Cyberdyne 101, I love all your tswift pictures and gifs! That made me chuckle... my best friend loves her and we often end up watching her music videos and commenting on how dramatic they are and having far too in depth conversations about the story behind her lyrics.
@infinitessimal, Vandy looks gorgeous!! Their curriculum also sounds amazing - hope everything went well!
@Sandmeezy, major congrats on your acceptance!!!! What a relief that must be -- good luck on all your other interviews, and go celebrate! :hardy:
@sunflower18, I was reading your Brown summary and it sounds like a wonderful place! Very impressive that they took the effort to pair you up with another writer and seemed to really know your application. That is really meaningful! Hope your other interviews this week went well, too (Albany, right?)!
@Jr MD, Glad you liked SLU (even though your flight is delayed)!! I was really impressed when I visited, and I hope we both hear some good news from them!

Hope everyone else is doing well!! I can't believe how close Oct. 15 is... I have class that day, and I imagine I'll sit in the back, checking my phone fretfully.
Better than having an interview that day lol. I won't have the luxury of being able to check my phone at all.

@spockprime, sorry you haven't been feeling well :( I hope you feel better soon!!
Obviously, I love Taylor!!

It's great that someone's music and overall presence can make me feel like the little boy in this video. I don't cancer, but I have struggled with debilitating musculoskeletal disease for quite some time and it looks like I'm going to prevail and have a healthy life!

Anyway, you are all amazing and inspirational!! And I can't wait for the excellent news that's just around the corner!!

Thank you -- I'm not feverish anymore, which I'm very thankful for! That video was adorable, and I'm so happy that your health is improving and you're on your way to wellness. That's really amazing news!

Better than having an interview that day lol. I won't have the luxury of being able to check my phone at all.

You're right, that sounds like an even more nerve wracking situation! I hope you get joyful news at the end of that long, stressful day! (Maybe sneak a peek during a restroom break? I don't know if I could resist!)

Thank you -- I'm not feverish anymore, which I'm very thankful for! That video was adorable, and I'm so happy that your health is improving and you're on your way to wellness. That's really amazing news!

You're right, that sounds like an even more nerve wracking situation! I hope you get joyful news at the end of that long, stressful day! (Maybe sneak a peek during a restroom break? I don't know if I could resist!)
No, I don't wanna risk it. Could be good news or bad news. I can't walk into my 2 interviews with that ish stuck inside my head. Mizzou interview day means I only think about Mizzou. Just like I only thought about UNC during my UNC interview day.

No, I don't wanna risk it. Could be good news or bad news. I can't walk into my 2 interviews with that ish stuck inside my head. Mizzou interview day means I only think about Mizzou. Just like I only thought about UNC during my UNC interview day.

Makes sense! Good luck with the interview, and I hope all goes well on that day!

Thank you!! Hope you feel better soon bud!

Reflecting on my travels during a nice several week break from the madness:
  • Don't trust O'Hare International Airport. Let your guard down and suddenly you're running 1.5 miles from a gate at the far end of the airport to literally the furthest possible gate at the other end to make a connecting flight in 20 minutes. Multiple times in the same trip.
  • Student hosts are the best and indispensable for learning about the culture at a school. Make sure they know how awesome they are.
  • New food is the most important part of your travel experience, even more so than the interview. Fortunately, sometimes the food comes as part of the interview day. The artichoke dip at Pitt is deadly.
  • Why isn't every city New York?

• Don't trust O'Hare International Airport. Let your guard down and suddenly you're running 1.5 miles from a gate at the far end of the airport to literally the furthest possible gate at the other end to make a connecting flight in 20 minutes. Multiple times in the same trip.
  • Student hosts are the best and indispensable for learning about the culture at a school. Make sure they know how awesome they are.
  • New food is the most important part of your travel experience, even more so than the interview. Fortunately, sometimes the food comes as part of the interview day. The artichoke dip at Pitt is deadly.
Every other city can only drool at us. *grin*

Man I love New York, and would LOVE to go to school there but if I can get 35k tuition in my state I think I'd choose that. Really anxious for December :X

+100

You basically summarized my entire interview experience into four bullet points.

Man I love New York, and would LOVE to go to school there but if I can get 35k tuition in my state I think I'd choose that. Really anxious for December :X
I've always heard, and also personally believe, that for non-natives, New York is the place to be for residency, not med school. IMHO the high ass COA isn't worth the debt you'd take on, but the slightly higher pay and prestige of the residency programs make the city a much more palatable option a mere four years later.

So great to hear stories and tips from the interview trail!! I should definitely try to concoct a concise summary of my interview experiences now that I'm nearing the end of it.

It was awesome to meet @claduva94 and I'm so excited to meet @researchismymiddlename :) there's something really funny about meeting someone and knowing a lot about them already (and vice versa!). Plus it's great to put faces and real names to the wonderful people on this thread :D I hope to meet more of you someday, perhaps at second look or something!

Reactions: 2 users
Guys guys guys. It's so close. I can't wait to hear all of your good news next week! In this batch of amazing people we are going to be hearing about a lot of acceptances! Good luck! I'm so excited for you all!

Are we talking about Taylor Swift? Cause I hate her and her stupid drama .......... but my goodness, her music is so God-damn catchy. It's my guilty pleasure listening to her music ............

And yes, I hope to see an influx of acceptances on Oct. 15th for you guys!! :D

I hate O'Hare ................ I don't know who plans connecting flights at O'Hare but the dude who does seriously needs to be shot.

And yes, food is the most important thing when visiting any city! If only I could get an interview OOS .... :(

2 out of the 6 schools I've interviewed with could let me know on 10/15. I wonder what the strategy is regarding being rolling / not rolling? It does seem that more "elite" schools are less rolling.

2 out of the 6 schools I've interviewed with could let me know on 10/15. I wonder what the strategy is regarding being rolling / not rolling? It does seem that more "elite" schools are less rolling.
The strategy seems to be that the more elite schools want assurance they've looked at all their applicants before releasing results. However, it doesn't seem like they actually wait until March to make all admit decisions, according to top-level adcoms on these forums. Looks like they still make decisions along the way, but the longer timeline allows for adjustments later in the cycle that, say, Stanford wouldn't be able to do if they've already been sending out acceptances for 3 months.

EDIT: TOPPPPP

Last edited:
In other news, I'm finally joining all of you on the II boat!! Just got a first round interview at a law firm :clap::clap:

EDIT: BUFFERRRRR (omg maybe this is a sign!!)

Last edited:
Are we talking about Taylor Swift? Cause I hate her and her stupid drama .......... but my goodness, her music is so God-damn catchy. It's my guilty pleasure listening to her music ............

And yes, I hope to see an influx of acceptances on Oct. 15th for you guys!! :D
taylor-swift-eye-roll-o.gif

:laugh:

I hope some OOS II come your way!! (Congrats again on UW!)

In other news, I'm finally joining all of you on the II boat!! Just got a first round interview at a law firm :clap::clap:
Toooooo cute!!!! Congratulationsssss Moop! Woot Woot!:claps:

omg yay unintentional tops and buffers :thumbup:

I am so nervous for October 15th. I am having such a hard time focusing.

Reactions: 6 users
After receiving an II from MCW earlier today, I ran around my house screaming like a fool and my cat looked at me like:
shocked+cat.gif

I also got way too excited and ate too many chocolate chip cookiessss lol! Feeling super guilty now..

I have been feeling very nervous about Oct 15th as well SF18!! So to help get my mind off things, I finally went to sephora after a year and bought myself some goodies!! :D :claps::cat:

Reactions: 7 users
After receiving an II from MCW earlier today, I ran around my house screaming like a fool and my cat looked at me like:
shocked+cat.gif

I also got way too excited and ate too many chocolate chip cookiessss lol! Feeling super guilty now..

I have been feeling very nervous about Oct 15th as well SF18!! So to help get my mind off things, I finally went to sephora after a year and bought myself some goodies!! :D :claps::cat:

Oh man. Cookies and sephora?! That sounds brilliant!!! This weekend would be an excellent time to go shopping.... What a lovely idea! Yes! Thanks!!! Not that I have any money but shopping is fun :D

Oh man. Cookies and sephora?! That sounds brilliant!!! This weekend would be an excellent time to go shopping.... What a lovely idea! Yes! Thanks!!! Not that I have any money but shopping is fun :D
I knowwww I have been really cheap lately! All my money from my scribe job is being used for apps + travel. I am not a big shopper, but something just happens to me at Sephora.. it's like.. I can't get out out of that store without getting something :p

shocked+cat.gif

Oooh that is a good idea. Haha I may need to do that next week...either in celebration or to drown my sorrows with shopping! I only recently got one of the Naked palettes so I'm trying to stop myself from going crazy in sephora... But there's so much great stuff!

Congrats on the II, by the way!

1 Interview down, 3 to go before next Tuesday. Send help please. And caffeine. And also maybe a nice red wine and steak.

Sorry, none of that was remotely funny. I'm just tired.

1 Interview down, 3 to go before next Tuesday. Send help please. And caffeine. And also maybe a nice red wine and steak.

Sorry, none of that was remotely funny. I'm just tired.

Hang in there!! Get good food whenever possible -- it really makes a difference. Perhaps we need those emergency parachutes from the hunger games for each applicant...we could parachute in hot dinners, tasty drinks, and other necessities!

Oooh that is a good idea. Haha I may need to do that next week...either in celebration or to drown my sorrows with shopping! I only recently got one of the Naked palettes so I'm trying to stop myself from going crazy in sephora... But there's so much great stuff!

Congrats on the II, by the way!
Thank you @spockprime I got the full-exposure palette from smashbox! So much shimmer/glitter couldn't help myself! Also, I usually get drug store products, coz they are def more affordable for me, but I wanted this palette for the longest! Idk why the product reviews aren't the best, coz the pigmentation is fantastic :D
s1575018-main-hero.jpg

Hang in there!! Get good food whenever possible -- it really makes a difference. Perhaps we need those emergency parachutes from the hunger games for each applicant...we could parachute in hot dinners, tasty drinks, and other necessities!
omg wait that's brilliant.

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you @spockprime I got the full-exposure palette from smashbox! So much shimmer/glitter couldn't help myself! Also, I usually get drug store products, coz they are def more affordable for me, but I wanted this palette for the longest! Idk why the product reviews aren't the best, coz the pigmentation is fantastic :D
s1575018-main-hero.jpg

I really like those colors! I tend to gravitate toward shimmery neutrals, so this might be one for me to keep in mind for the future... Drugstore is definitely my usual stop (and there are some great products there!), but I think the pigmentation and quality of a good palette (or whatever product) is worth it sometimes!

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1412717911.582550.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
I really like those colors! I tend to gravitate toward shimmery neutrals, so this might be one for me to keep in mind for the future... Drugstore is definitely my usual stop (and there are some great products there!), but I think the pigmentation and quality of a good palette (or whatever product) is worth it sometimes!

View attachment 186055

I'm such a believer in treat yo self hahaha within reason of course.... I was watching Say Yes To The Dress on the plane, and a lady paid 35,000 for her wedding dress and then bought her mom and three daughters all 10,000 wedding dresses as well. 75,000 on wedding dresses. WHAT??

@onceawolverine ack!!!! So many!! You can do it!

I'm such a believer in treat yo self hahaha within reason of course.... I was watching Say Yes To The Dress on the plane, and a lady paid 35,000 for her wedding dress and then bought her mom and three daughters all 10,000 wedding dresses as well. 75,000 on wedding dresses. WHAT??

:eek: Wow that's so much!! And I bet the rest of the wedding expenses were even more exorbitant in that case, yikes! I remember watching an episode where this girl bought a $24,000 dress (and it actually was gorgeous... sometimes I find that there's not a huge different between the price ranges, or the more expensive ones just have a ton of bling on them), but I was pretty shocked! I think I'd rather travel for a couple months with that money! But YES, treat yo self within reason for sure!!

That is one year of med school. Now I am sad.

As a side note, you guys should know that @sunflower18 is absolutely awesome. As I was struggling to figure out how to deal with my cancelled travel arrangement she was trying to help. So yes guys. I can confirm she is even more bubbly and nice in person than she is on here!