Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since you seem to be very knowledgable on the topic.... If you were to get a pro, would you recommend 13 or 15 inch?
A year ago, I would've recommended the 15", no questions asked. But, I now use a 13" laptop and am no longer set on that opinion. A 15" laptop will give you more screen real estate and is probably nicer on the eyes (especially if your eyesight is not the best, as it will allow you to use larger fonts while still allowing more window space to be visible).

Specifically on the MBP, I would say it depends, again, on what you want to do with your laptop. If you're looking for a laptop that you'll use on the go, the fact that the 13" is easier to carry (they differ by a pound in weight 3.46lbs vs. 4.46lbs which, although very small, is a ~20% diff.) and has an hour of additional battery life could be worth it. However, the 15" MBP has the option for more storage space, has a stand alone graphics card (good for gaming and graphics software heavy work), better processor speed and double the RAM (for multitasking purposes). If you were looking for this to be your main PC, all of these additional specs increase the usage life of your laptop and, in my humble opinion, well worth the reduction of 1hr in battery life. But, if you never need or use all of these powerups, the additional screen real estate and price could be unnecessary and end up preventing you from the benefits an added battery life and ease of travel the 13" would have provided. Hopefully that helps you reach a decision!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
A year ago, I would've recommended the 15", no questions asked. But, I now use a 13" laptop and am no longer set on that opinion. A 15" laptop will give you more screen real estate and is probably nicer on the eyes (especially if your eyesight is not the best, as it will allow you to use larger fonts while still allowing more window space to be visible).

Specifically on the MBP, I would say it depends, again, on what you want to do with your laptop. If you're looking for a laptop that you'll use on the go, the fact that the 13" is easier to carry (they differ by a pound in weight 3.46lbs vs. 4.46lbs which, although very small, is a ~20% diff.) and has an hour of additional battery life could be worth it. However, the 15" MBP has the option for more storage space, has a stand alone graphics card (good for gaming and graphics software heavy work), better processor speed and double the RAM (for multitasking purposes). If you were looking for this to be your main PC, all of these additional specs increase the usage life of your laptop and, in my humble opinion, well worth the reduction of 1hr in battery life. But, if you never need or use all of these powerups, the additional screen real estate and price could be unnecessary and end up preventing you from the benefits an added battery life and ease of travel the 13" would have provided. Hopefully that helps you reach a decision!
Thanks!! I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need the 15 inch screen. I use my computer for the most basic stuff. I don't think it's worth the extra $600+.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Every time I hear second look, I think 'one look' and I'll share my mental image with you lot.

maxresdefault.jpg
"A eugoogalizer. One who gives a eugoogaly....."

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!! I'm trying to convince myself that I don't need the 15 inch screen. I use my computer for the most basic stuff. I don't it's worth the extra $600+.
You don't need the 15 inch laptop screen. A 15 inch laptop screen is too big. I have a 15 inch laptop screen and I think that the 15 inch laptop screen is unnecessary.

Ugh. 15 inch LAPTOP. I'm an idiot for not seeing that one coming.
AINT NOBODY GONNA MISINTERPRET THAT ONE. I got your back, past wolverine.

Reactions: 9 users
You don't need the 15 inch laptop screen. A 15 inch laptop screen is too big. I have a 15 inch laptop screen and I think that the 15 inch laptop screen is unnecessary.

I quite enjoy my 15 inches

of screenspace especially for watching movies :)

I can say it because I only got into Albany. AND I still haven't received my Miami decision AND he's had more interviews than me.

If it was one of you overachievers, it would have just been rude.

:p

I think ace knows I wasn't putting him down lol.
Always happy to play the part though ahahhahahhaha.

I should have said: "Look down at all your acceptances and be reminded."
ahhaha.

Actually I'm gonna retract my statement and say that you were still quite rude for making that statement. Doesn't matter if I'm an overachiever or not, it's still downright rude. Why shouldn't I be excited for 2nd look when I only have 1 acceptance? At least I don't have a hard choice to make like all of you. Sucks to suck.

Second that. Get the smaller screen size to make it on-the-go friendly. Then get a kick ass monitor for moviez at home. I use a 21:9 like this one. I can view 3 full page at once, which makes writing essay/grant/paper a lot more convenient. Somehow I understand the whole paper better if I can see all the paragraphs at once.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...tor-21-9-8-ms/8218567/product.html?CID=229479

Reactions: 3 users
Actually I'm gonna retract my statement and say that you were still quite rude for making that statement. Doesn't matter if I'm an overachiever or not, it's still downright rude. Why shouldn't I be excited for 2nd look when I only have 1 acceptance? At least I don't have a hard choice to make like all of you. Sucks to suck.
Sucks to suck?! Are you serious? You're gonna be a med student in the fall. You'll be at the same level as everyone else who's been accepted. End of story.

Sucks to suck?! Are you serious? You're gonna be a med student in the fall. You'll be at the same level as everyone else who's been accepted. End of story.
Schools that rank you would beg to differ. Everyone has to fall into 1 of 4 quartiles.

I laughed. Too good.

I think I'll go with the 13 inch screen.... I am small and I think the smaller laptop would be the better size for me. Maybe. It looks like this might be my graduation present... Thank goodness! Laptops are expensive. I'm so grateful to have a generous computer engineer parent who gets great discounts and is committed to me having excellent technology ;)

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Dude, you excelled at one of the most difficult undergrads in the country. You'll do just fine in med school.
Then that means I'll start off better than some people who didn't come out of a school like mine. Don't say "everyone starts out the same in med school" when clearly you think it's impressive to graduate from a school like mine but not some podunk no-name school.

Then that means I'll start off better than some people who didn't come out of a school like mine. Don't say "everyone starts out the same in med school" when clearly you think it's impressive to graduate from a school like mine but not some podunk no-name school.
Everyone starts out as an MS-1, regardless of the school. I was simply reminding you that you have the tools to excel in med school. Why are you nitpicking my words when I'm giving you encouragement?

Everyone starts out as an MS-1, regardless of the school. I was simply reminding you that you have the tools to excel in med school. Why are you nitpicking my words when I'm giving you encouragement?
Because when I'm angry, I lash out. Sorry that you were the closest person, it's intended for @ridethecliche and his rude remark.

After this cycle, I think I have found a new passion in editing, or should I say slashing away at, personal statements/essays. :p

Reactions: 3 users
Yeah the lost hour is kinda annoying. I don't wanna lose an hour of my spring break lololol.

Why do you get spring break :O I thought you graduated.. not fairrrrrrr

Reactions: 1 user
Why do you get spring break :O I thought you graduated.. not fairrrrrrr
Because I asked HQ for time off? I'm milking this free time for all its worth. Because med school is gonna keep me super busy when I have to build a near-perfect residency application which includes checking off the research pubs box.

Last edited:
Let's please just all accept one thing: we are going to be medical students and then physicians. Sure, we have different backgrounds, different situations, and different interests. Some of us will become incredible MD/PhD's and discover tomorrow's cures. Others will be outstanding diagnosticians and surgeons. But we all are HUMANS who are destined to HEAL! And that's pretty incredible

Reactions: 10 users
Let's please just all accept one thing: we are going to be medical students and then physicians. Sure, we have different backgrounds, different situations, and different interests. Some of us will become incredible MD/PhD's and discover tomorrow's cures. Others will be outstanding diagnosticians and surgeons. But we all are HUMANS who are destined to HEAL! And that's pretty incredible

This!!!!!

I laughed. Too good.

I think I'll go with the 13 inch screen.... I am small and I think the smaller laptop would be the better size for me. Maybe. It looks like this might be my graduation present... Thank goodness! Laptops are expensive. I'm so grateful to have a generous computer engineer parent who gets great discounts and is committed to me having excellent technology ;)
It looks like a retina MacBook Air is coming out relatively soon. Apple might provide more details tomorrow.

@Supraspinatus is spot on.

Whether you have one acceptance to your last choice or 10+ acceptances to the tippy-top schools it does not matter.* You'll meet people in your future class who got in weeks before orientation off the waitlist or those who turned down 15 other acceptances to attend. You'll meet people going there because they got awesome finaid or because their SO/family lived nearby or simply because they fell in love in the school. You'll meet people who travelled every possible avenue just to get to medical school. And y'know what: you all got there. Nobody is going to care if it was your only acceptance or if it was your 24th acceptance. And y'know what else: you all can succeed there. If you don't want to be there, you can turn to the thousands of other premeds out there hungry for your spot. We're all going to be a-ok. :) Big, deep breaths everybody.

*assuming we're talking accredited US schools, o'course. ;)

It looks like a retina MacBook Air is coming out relatively soon. Apple might provide more details tomorrow.

LIKE LIKE LIKE LIKE.

@Cyberdyne 101 I have to get a Mac because I've been stealing my brother's Lenovo and playing Skyrim on it. My productivity level has dropped precipitously. :arghh: I seriously have no self-control when it comes to things like video games (and nutella).

12 inches seems too small! Hmm. Thanks for this info though!

I think it'd be hard to go to a 12" laptop screen if you're used to a 15+" laptop screen. (See, @onceawolverine I almost made the same mistake). I'm quite satisfied with my 13" laptop screen... but when I saw the 11" laptop screen Air at the Mac store it looked uncomfortably small! I don't own a TV or large monitor so I do everything from photo editing to editing MSes to watching Netflix on my laptop. I may also be a freak of nature who doesn't really mind working with a fairly small screen.

Personally, I think I'd be content with a 12" laptop screen for all the med school basics.

Reactions: 11 users
@Supraspinatus is spot on.

Whether you have one acceptance to your last choice or 10+ acceptances to the tippy-top schools it does not matter.* You'll meet people in your future class who got in weeks before orientation off the waitlist or those who turned down 15 other acceptances to attend. You'll meet people going there because they got awesome finaid or because their SO/family lived nearby or simply because they fell in love in the school. You'll meet people who travelled every possible avenue just to get to medical school. And y'know what: you all got there. Nobody is going to care if it was your only acceptance or if it was your 24th acceptance. And y'know what else: you all can succeed there. If you don't want to be there, you can turn to the thousands of other premeds out there hungry for your spot. We're all going to be a-ok. :)
Please imagine yourself having gone thru my situation and then try to say the exact same thing to me again. You cannot seriously expect me to be happy if I was only accepted to my last choice. Or anyone for that matter.

Please imagine yourself having gone thru my situation and then try to say the exact same thing to me again. You cannot seriously expect me to be happy if I was only accepted to my last choice. Or anyone for that matter.

I swear, last May as I was submitting my apps, I looked at my school list and said (and meant!) that I would be happy at any one of those schools. I expected 3-5 interviews max, and hopefully 1 acceptance. So while I didn't go through that, I very certainly thought I would, and therefore spent lots of time thinking about that hypothetical.

Sure, it might feel like you're in a really bad situation if you compare yourself to someone with 15 super top school acceptances. But that's not realistic. The majority of med school applicants have NOTHING. I know someone who had a decent app yet didn't get a single interview. So please imagine what it feels like to be him, too. You are going to be a doctor, Ace! In five years, the name of your school will be all but meaningless because you'll be a physician and seeing patients and that's what this is all about.

I'm sorry you're upset. But your perspective doesn't negate ours. Please try to spin this positively. It really is something to celebrate.

Reactions: 6 users

Lol, everyone was thinking it.

I liked tipsy ace's reaction better because he saw the comment in the spirit it was intended.

You honestly worry and talk way too much about prestige. So neither of us are rock star candidates, big deal? Honestly dude, the attendings I work with went everywhere. From everything Harvard to all state schools. It comes down to how you do where you are that determines where you go next.

You can't change how things turned out so might as well make the most of it.

I still remember your posts calling people out for celebrating their acceptances when you didn't have any. Your cycle went great even if you don't get into Miami. You have a good thing going. Relax a bit.

For a large portion of this cycle, I prepared myself mentally to reapply. So when I got an acceptance, I was relieved because I knew that all I needed was one "yes"

Ace, your acceptance might not have been to your top choice, but at least you've been accepted. Consider that a positive thing.

Reactions: 5 users
*mumbles something about first world problems and entitled student culture*

This groovadelic funktastic song has been stuck in my head since you posted it on here, g*****n g*****n that song is good! I don't think it got enough attention the first time you posted it here!

I know, right? Like I have no idea what the song is about, but it's just amazing. I usually wear songs out by listening to them over and over, but I don't know if I can wear this one out.

Lol, everyone was thinking it.

I liked tipsy ace's reaction better because he saw the comment in the spirit it was intended.

You honestly worry and talk way too much about prestige. So neither of us are rock star candidates, big deal? Honestly dude, the attendings I work with went everywhere. From everything Harvard to all state schools. It comes down to how you do where you are that determines where you go next.

You can't change how things turned out so might as well make the most of it.

I still remember your posts calling people out for celebrating their acceptances when you didn't have any. Your cycle went great even if you don't get into Miami. You have a good thing going. Relax a bit.
By definition, only a small fraction of students can afford to care about and prize prestige. Otherwise, it wouldn't be so prestigious. Most of us are not in that fraction.

By definition, only a small fraction of students can afford to care about and prize prestige. Otherwise, it wouldn't be so prestigious. Most of us are not in that fraction.

I mean you know where I went to undergrad. The name carries weight.

That said I went there because it was my cheapest option. I guess this is all different for a first been immigrant.

You also know where I work now and that name carries even more weight. It's a wash man. If I can avoid making the mistakes I did as an undergrad and get better at interviewing by the time residency interviews start, ill be in good shape.

The interview skills thing is clutch. I wish I'd known more about stress interviews this cycle...

Would everyone just f**king stop already? @ridethecliche, go to hell. Anyone who liked his comment or thought it was funny, you also make me upset. I don't want to hear anything from anyone anymore unless it's an apology. I've had enough.

In other news, does anyone do shakes for breakfast?

Slash anyone climb? I've been itching to try it.

Last edited:
Woah, Ace. Simmer down. We're all backing you 100%, but I don't think you have any reason to feel bitter about EVMS.

I feel like can say that because I have been through something very similar. I went to my absolute last-choice UG. I was accepted to other schools, including my top choice, but life had it such that I could not attend.

Yes, there was a phase I went through when I was super bitter about it, but I very quickly had to kick that mentality in my pants. I was super frickin lucky to even to go to college. It's a position of absolute privilege and every time I moaned about having to go to a school I disliked, I sat myself down and "checked my privilege" (yes, a tired old phrase but it carries a lot of truth). For the first six months I went to my UG bitter and upset while all my friends on FB posted photos of them cavorting with new friends and going on social outings... and those were six miserable months. Then I realized that I had no right to be upset – I was still attending college for goodness sake! – and I resolved to make the most of my situation. The following 3.5 years of college were actually pretty darn good following that mental shift.

My UG was not a bad school. I loved my classes, had some brilliant professors, met some awesome people, and really engaged myself off campus. Yes, there were parts that did suck – like the fact that I had to commute at least 3 hours every day to get there and still had to work full time – but that's life for you. I feel like I became a much stronger person because of it, though my poor car who had to rack up 100K+ miles begs to differ. ;)

I know your experience at EVMS (in the event the waitlist doesn't come through) will be perfectly fine. Chin up, Ace. You're in a really good position! YOU'RE GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOOOOOLLL!!! :)

Reactions: 11 users
In other news, does anyone do shakes for breakfast?

If you can't chew it, then it ain't breakfast food yo!

haha I think I can relate to your situation very well. 42 schools applied, 4 IIs, and accepted to only 1 school so far - one that is near the bottom of my list. Though the thought of not having to rewrite any of the essays or take the MCAT has kinda eased the disappointment so far.

Woah, Ace. Simmer down. We're all backing you 100%, but I don't think you have any reason to feel bitter about EVMS.

I feel like can say that because I have been through something very similar. I went to my absolute last-choice UG. I was accepted to other schools, including my top choice, but life had it such that I could not attend.

Yes, there was a phase I went through when I was super bitter about it, but I very quickly had to kick that mentality in my pants. I was super frickin lucky to even to go to college. It's a position of absolute privilege and every time I moaned about having to go to a school I disliked, I sat myself down and "checked my privilege" (yes, a tired old phrase but it carries a lot of truth). For the first six months I went to my UG bitter and upset while all my friends on FB posted photos of them cavorting with new friends and going on social outings... and those were six miserable months. Then I realized that I had no right to be upset – I was still attending college for goodness sake! – and I resolved to make the most of my situation. The following 3.5 years of college were actually pretty darn good following that mental shift.

My UG was not a bad school. I loved my classes, had some brilliant professors, met some awesome people, and really engaged myself off campus. Yes, there were parts that did suck – like the fact that I had to commute at least 3 hours every day to get there and still had to work full time – but that's life for you. I feel like I became a much stronger person because of it, though my poor car who had to rack up 100K+ miles begs to differ. ;)

I know your experience at EVMS (in the event the waitlist doesn't come through) will be perfectly fine. Chin up, Ace. You're in a really good position! YOU'RE GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOOOOOLLL!!! :)
What part of "I don't want to hear anything from anyone anymore unless it's an apology" did you not understand? But okay.

Last edited:
What part of "I don't want to hear anything from anyone anymore unless it's an apology" did you not understand? But okay.
Not caring what you said has nothing to do with not understanding what you said.

We are fluent in English, but that doesn't mean we have to take your negativity **** and watch idly as a dear friend of ours wallows in self-pity and channels it into hateful speech.

Get a f*cking grip, or we'll do it for you.

Last edited:
On behalf of everyone, I apologize :)

I think everyone should listen to the song @radiologyology posted, it is for sure to put everyone at ease. It is the funk, I am telling you all.

Also for a bit of a nerdy sidetrack, @hellanutella , what kind of characters do you usually play? I like being a battle Mage/ assassin nothing like sneaking up on your enemies and killing them with your dagger

i personally don't play, but from what i've seen on imgur..... can you really ride a horse on a steep cliff and fly it too??