Class of 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Happy to see that this thread has finally come to life. I should be joining y'all in the submission queue by Wednesday. These three essays for md/phd are killing me though. I definitely could've been done earlier if I was md only. (Realistically I would've procrastinated just as hard...)

Funny mishap: one of my LOR writers uploaded his letter as a gif file instead of a pdf. It's a two page letter so it was impossible to read since the gif alternated between the pages so quickly. Thank goodness he emailed it to me cuz the committee would've gotten it and been like wtf???? and my committee letter probably would've been delayed. I wasn't even planning on reading it originally but my curiosity/procrastination got the best of me.

Hi! Fellow MD/PhD applicant here. Just thought you might want to do what I did. So you can apply to just one MD-only school to get your app in the verification queue. You'll only need your PS for that. Then, once you finish your MD/PhD and Research Essays, you're free to add additional (MD/PhD) schools, without delaying your verification, and can add the essays then! This works of course only if you are applying to a few MD's and MD/PhD's...

Members don't see this ad.

and above average EC's with a few unique ones (performing artist who opened for Chiddy Bang).

Dude, if I were AdCom you would be in with that alone. That is wicked cool.

reading other threads with adcoms...they say percentiles are inflated bc so many got 90-100? This score system is making less and less sense :arghh:

It is important to remember that in the 90-100 range there are a lot of different possible scores, more than any other end of the distribution. I.e. if you got 90-100 you are being essentially grouped with everyone who got an old 45 to an old 33...

That's a HUGE range, which is why the more precise percentile rankings on June 30 will be more accurate.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is important to remember that in the 90-100 range there are a lot of different possible scores, more than any other end of the distribution. I.e. if you got 90-100 you are being essentially grouped with everyone who got an old 45 to an old 33...

That's a HUGE range, which is why the more precise percentile rankings on June 30 will be more accurate.

Yeah, makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 33 applicant might have a hard time getting into say Hopkins, even with that 90-100%
and also, people on that thread were saying that SDN is not really representative of the whole pre-med population.

Yeah, makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, but a 33 applicant might have a hard time getting into say Hopkins, even with that 90-100%
and also, people on that thread were saying that SDN is not really representative of the whole pre-med population.

Precisely, which is why it is best to be very conservative still in creating your school list even if you got the 90-100 percentile (I did and I'm being conservative until I know my exact percentiles on June 30). Once you know more accurately where you stand, you can better predict if your 90-100 meant a 33 or it meant a 39 or something. Even though AdComs don't know exactly what a 516 will mean versus a 523, they will certainly know what percentile rankings mean, especially since the old MCAT now has percentile rankings posted with it on AMCAS apps, too.

Precisely, which is why it is best to be very conservative still in creating your school list even if you got the 90-100 percentile (I did and I'm being conservative until I know my exact percentiles on June 30). Once you know more accurately where you stand, you can better predict if your 90-100 meant a 33 or it meant a 39 or something. Even though AdComs don't know exactly what a 516 will mean versus a 523, they will certainly know what percentile rankings mean, especially since the old MCAT now has percentile rankings posted with it on AMCAS apps, too.

So we can safely assume that an 80th percentile on the new MCAT means a 30 score on the old right? Is this how adcoms will assess us?

So we can safely assume that an 80th percentile on the new MCAT means a 30 score on the old right? Is this how adcoms will assess us?

In terms of relieving uncertainty yes, but to be honest there is little guaranteed about how Adcoms are going to interpret this. Some schools are reportedly going to have separate piles for old and new MCAT because they have enough applicants to do so.

In all fairness, they will likely rely a lot on the percentile comparisons from new to old test. Ceteris paribus, if you have the exact same scores percentile wise as someone else, you should be evaluated equally. I.e. it would be most conservative to assume that Adcoms won't say you are better prepared if you did the same as someone else on the new test as the old because it is longer, etc.

I feel like you can't judge from SDN whether scores are inflated or not. I mean of course a ton of people on here got 90-100, we're the neurotic ones.

oh cool I used to be into Chiddy Bang. Judging from what you've shared you could probably get into some highly ranked schools. I know people who settled for applying for safer schools (not med schools tho) because they didn't believe in their potential, and they've ended up regretting it. Just make sure that there's no doubt that you'll be content with your decision.

Haha I appreciate your kind words. I do tend to not hold myself in high regard, but this decision is more so based on the fact that I really only want to go to this school.

Dude, if I were AdCom you would be in with that alone. That is wicked cool.

It was a pretty great experience, to say the least. I didn't name drop in the application because I really doubt any adcom would even know the name.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi! Fellow MD/PhD applicant here. Just thought you might want to do what I did. So you can apply to just one MD-only school to get your app in the verification queue. You'll only need your PS for that. Then, once you finish your MD/PhD and Research Essays, you're free to add additional (MD/PhD) schools, without delaying your verification, and can add the essays then! This works of course only if you are applying to a few MD's and MD/PhD's...

I'm applying all MD/PhD actually so that wouldn't work :/ I'm done with the PS and why md/phd essays now, so just waiting anxiously for my readers to get back to me with their suggestions. If they're bad and I have to rewrite everything, I'm screwed.

Is anybody else getting emails about HPSP literally every. single. day? They're starting to get a little annoying.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's HPSP

Edit: oh lol. I haven't. Where are you guys selling your emails to?

Is anybody else getting emails about HPSP literally every. single. day? They're starting to get a little annoying.

Haha that's really funny because I am actually considering HPSP and I haven't gotten a single email from them.

Haha that's really funny because I am actually considering HPSP and I haven't gotten a single email from them.
Huh. Weird. I honestly have no idea where they could have gotten my email address from. But every day, a different officer emails me, sometimes about DDS also. I wanna say they started in January?

Huh. Weird. I honestly have no idea where they could have gotten my email address from. But every day, a different officer emails me, sometimes about DDS also. I wanna say they started in January?

So strange! Is there some kind of unsubscribe button in the emails?

Finally got feedback from some of my readers. Why MD/PhD essay is uploaded, and my PS isn't terrible like I feared! (According to one person's opinion at least). Looks like I probably won't have to rewrite it. The end of the tunnel is so near...

Finally got feedback from some of my readers. Why MD/PhD essay is uploaded, and my PS isn't terrible like I feared! (According to one person's opinion at least). Looks like I probably won't have to rewrite it. The end of the tunnel is so near...

The tunnel is just beginning.

So strange! Is there some kind of unsubscribe button in the emails?
No! They're all like, personalized, and written by different people. At the end, there's always a phone number for more information and if I want to grab some coffee to talk about it more. I'm not even that strong a candidate, so idk why I'm getting them.

No! They're all like, personalized, and written by different people. At the end, there's always a phone number for more information and if I want to grab some coffee to talk about it more. I'm not even that strong a candidate, so idk why I'm getting them.
What?! I don't get offered coffee (haha). I have been getting lots of those emails as well, but they're always from the same Captain and everything is always capitalized. It's like getting yelled at. In recent ones they started getting impatient and said to let them know if I am not considering them, but sending a "thanks but no thanks" doesn't seem to have done anything...

What?! I don't get offered coffee (haha). I have been getting lots of those emails as well, but they're always from the same Captain and everything is always capitalized. It's like getting yelled at. In recent ones they started getting impatient and said to let them know if I am not considering them, but sending a "thanks but no thanks" doesn't seem to have done anything...
Hmm ok I'm looking at them again. They're all about different things. Some are from Army, some from the Navy, some from the Air Force, some for reserve corps, some for dental, and some for the Marines. They are definitely not in all caps though!

I think if I get another one, I'll take them up on it. Free Caribou is free Caribou, and if that's what the DoD wants to spend its money on, why not?

Anybody else waiting on transcripts? I submitted my application June 4th, but one transcript is still on it's slow slow way. (Annoyingly, it was a community college course for about 3 credit hours that I took in high school...)

Anybody else waiting on transcripts? I submitted my application June 4th, but one transcript is still on it's slow slow way. (Annoyingly, it was a community college course for about 3 credit hours that I took in high school...)
Same. I only have one transcript. Submitted in the 4th and still hasn't been marked received yet.

Anybody else waiting on transcripts? I submitted my application June 4th, but one transcript is still on it's slow slow way.
Same. I only have one transcript. Submitted in the 4th and still hasn't been marked received yet.
I had submitted mine in late May (it was processed 1 day after receipt back then lol) but sent an updated one later that was delivered on 6/5 and processed 6/9. There's probably a **** load pile of papers for them to sift through at this point...sorry to hear of your waiting games!

Made my app tracker just now! This is getting so real seeing this all in one file. Can't wait until the secondaries and interviews start coming in :D

Screen Shot 2015-06-16 at 14.10.47 .png

Nice! Good luck! the II stand for interviews? You got the percentages off MSAR?
Yeah I did the division old school on a calculator. The UC numbers are those for OOS applicants (so...low...)

Has anyone considered getting a pet in med school? I'm sitting here watching this adorable corgi puppy play on the quad and I want to steal it so bad. I don't think having a dog in med school is a very good idea though... Maybe I'll get a cat. I just wish I wasn't allergic to them.

you must have awesome stats!
I'm 3.73/36. So below median GPA and median MCAT for most of those schools. I have very strong and varied ECs, though, that I think fit those schools particularly well. (See MDApps if curious)

Has anyone considered getting a pet in med school? I'm sitting here watching this adorable corgi puppy play on the quad and I want to steal it so bad. I don't think having a dog in med school is a very good idea though... Maybe I'll get a cat. I just wish I wasn't allergic to them.
Agreed. My family is looking to adopt a cat right now, mainly for my sake. I have a feeling the cat will be coming with me to medical school. It'll be nice to have something waiting for you at home at the end of the day.

I'm 3.73/36. So below median GPA and median MCAT for most of those schools. I have very strong and varied ECs, though, that I think fit those schools particularly well. (See MDApps if curious)

Oh wow your ECs are impressive! And your MCAT is so beautifully balanced haha I'm envious.

Agreed. My family is looking to adopt a cat right now, mainly for my sake. I have a feeling the cat will be coming with me to medical school. It'll be nice to have something waiting for you at home at the end of the day.

Ahh I'm so jealous, I want to adopt a kitty! I still live in a dorm though so I'll have to wait till I move into an apartment.

Oh wow your ECs are impressive! And your MCAT is so beautifully balanced haha I'm envious.
Thanks! Throughout college I always thought I had a modest list of activities but compared against most premeds I've realized they're pretty unique things and definitely very untraditional premed. Never thought I was a top applicant though due to the overachievers at school but we'll see what happens!

Yeah my clean MCAT is definitely a source of pride :joyful: My OCD loves the series of 3 identical numbers

I have that same wish and fear! Corgi videos have become ridiculously viral lately and the more I watch, the more I want. But dogs are much needier than cats and I'm afraid I would be a neglectful owner :( I've never had a dog (or cat) before.

Thanks! Throughout college I always thought I had a modest list of activities but compared against most premeds I've realized they're pretty unique things and definitely very untraditional premed. Never thought I was a top applicant though due to the overachievers at school but we'll see what happens!

Yeah my clean MCAT is definitely a source of pride :joyful: My OCD loves the series of 3 identical numbers
What kind of policy are you into? If you don't mind sharing. I got into health policy in my last year of college and it's like a whole new world.

I have that same wish and fear! Corgi videos have become ridiculously viral lately and the more I watch, the more I want. But dogs are much needier than cats and I'm afraid I would be a neglectful owner :( I've never had a dog (or cat) before.

Yeah my family has a goldendoodle and he requires so much attention, my mom walks him like twice a day and we hardly ever leave him at home alone. Plus we have a huge yard he can play in and a large house, which I wouldn't have as a med student. We also have two cats, and I feel like time-wise a med student could definitely have a cat. I really want a Siberian forest cat but they cost over $1000 for a kitten. Apparently you can buy an adult for cheaper though, like $600. I mean I'm going to be taking out a couple hundred thousand dollars in loans, why not $600 more?

What kind of policy are you into? If you don't mind sharing. I got into health policy in my last year of college and it's like a whole new world.
State and local policy :smug:

@suchbrio how did you get into health policy? I'm super interested in that but my school doesn't offer any classes or anything =/

@suchbrio how did you get into health policy? I'm super interested in that but my school doesn't offer any classes or anything =/
Does it have grad schools? Any place with a public health school is going to have health policy classes to take. Even law school. And business school.

Does it have grad schools? Any place with a public health school is going to have health policy classes to take. Even law school. And business school.

According to google we have an MPH program. The pre-med advisor did email us saying they were offering a class called Healthcare Policy and Politics in the United States but it was only offered last fall and I was abroad that semester.

State and local policy :smug:
lol ok I won't be a dick

I work mostly on health law at my current job, but in college I did everything from econ to education, criminal justice, election law, environment, and a little bit of employment stuff (and health, obv)

According to google we have an MPH program. The pre-med advisor did email us saying they were offering a class called Healthcare Policy and Politics in the United States but it was only offered last fall and I was abroad that semester.
Then look at the MPH course offerings and you will find a health policy course. If you don't...then it's not a legit MPH program and you shouldn't waste your time lmao. My university was very lax on cross-enrollment (in fact, we called it the "One University" policy), but from what I hear if you press the grad registrar hard enough and the professor agrees to have you, you can generally enroll for credit.

Then look at the MPH course offerings and you will find a health policy course. If you don't...then it's not a legit MPH program and you shouldn't waste your time lmao. My university was very lax on cross-enrollment (in fact, we called it the "One University" policy), but from what I hear if you press the grad registrar hard enough and the professor agrees to have you, you can generally enroll for credit.

I feel like they will probably not let me enroll since I haven't even taken an intro political science course or anything :( But I will look into it!

I feel like they will probably not let me enroll since I haven't even taken an intro political science course or anything :( But I will look into it!
...you think the average MPH student has any sort of poli sci background? No. The average MPH student got weeded out of premed or is using the degree to leverage into a DO/low-tier MD school. If they throw you that bull****, just say that back and you will either get enrolled or have that bridge be burned forever lolz

Yeah my family has a goldendoodle and he requires so much attention, my mom walks him like twice a day and we hardly ever leave him at home alone. Plus we have a huge yard he can play in and a large house, which I wouldn't have as a med student. We also have two cats, and I feel like time-wise a med student could definitely have a cat. I really want a Siberian forest cat but they cost over $1000 for a kitten. Apparently you can buy an adult for cheaper though, like $600. I mean I'm going to be taking out a couple hundred thousand dollars in loans, why not $600 more?
OK, woah. I just googled the Siberian forest cat and that thing has a FANTASTIC lower mane (what do you call that anyway). Reminds me of Gandalf, or Dumbledore.

It was actually super spontaneous! I was working with one of my PIs on a public health study, and before senior year he suggested I look into doing some policy research and advocacy work related to our other study. He said it was a big area of need, and I am often drawn to issues that aren't paid enough attention. I turned it into my senior project!

lol ok I won't be a dick

I work mostly on health law at my current job, but in college I did everything from econ to education, criminal justice, election law, environment, and a little bit of employment stuff (and health, obv)
Hahaha technically, you weren't lying. That's really cool, a lot of breadth and depth. Kudos to you, I have barely touched the waters!

Hahaha technically, you weren't lying.
Nope I wasn't. Everything happens at the state and local level. National policy is for squares and people who think it'll get them into fancy law/business schools. Very little at the national level is original, at least for domestic policy. #federalismftw

...you think the average MPH student has any sort of poli sci background? No. The average MPH student got weeded out of premed or is using the degree to leverage into a DO/low-tier MD school. If they throw you that bull****, just say that back and you will either get enrolled or have that bridge be burned forever lolz

Hahaha I see. Well I'll give it a try, maybe they will offer a class for spring semester, since I've already picked my classes for fall semester. It's going to be great, I'm doing a biology capstone (which will require no work because I'm doing the research project and writing the paper this summer), astronomy, environmental law, introduction to Caribbean literature, and biochemistry II.

OK, woah. I just googled the Siberian forest cat and that thing has a FANTASTIC lower mane (what do you call that anyway). Reminds me of Gandalf, or Dumbledore.

It was actually super spontaneous! I was working with one of my PIs on a public health study, and before senior year he suggested I look into doing some policy research and advocacy work related to our other study. He said it was a big area of need, and I am often drawn to issues that aren't paid enough attention. I turned it into my senior project!

OMG I know right it's a freaking lion!! And that sounds like a really awesome opportunity! I wish I had started research earlier, I feel like people find so many opportunities through their labs.