Class of 2020!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, if anyone is looking for a fun summer movie, I definitely recommend Inside Out (especially if you like neuroscience)! I saw it yesterday and it was so great!

Oh good, I think my sister and I are going to see it on Tuesday! It's gotten really good reviews.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing's for sure in this process so join us anyway!
eh, I think this is a little overplayed on SDN. yeah, no one can ever bank on making it a certain school, but let's face it – to get admitted to any MD/DO school is not as hard as people make it out to be, especially if you made it all the way to the app cycle with SDN guidance

eh, I think this is a little overplayed on SDN. yeah, no one can ever bank on making it a certain school, but let's face it – to get admitted to any MD/DO school is not as hard as people make it out to be, especially if you made it all the way to the app cycle with SDN guidance

I wonder about that. I think that in part, all the threads of people on SDN who don't make it are (what I hope at least), just the outliers, the people that it didn't work out for. I think there are just as many who it does work out for, but because it works out, they don't need to post about it, and it might be perceived as gloating.

So this thread is for people that are for sure going to get into a med school right?

In that case.....

:whoa:

I feel you. Nothing is for sure, and especially since transcripts are STILL en route (like a month later for me), I have been feeling that uncertainty too. I guess we'll see.

I wonder about that. I think that in part, all the threads of people on SDN who don't make it are (what I hope at least), just the outliers, the people that it didn't work out for. I think there are just as many who it does work out for, but because it works out, they don't need to post about it, and it might be perceived as gloating.

I feel you. Nothing is for sure, and especially since transcripts are STILL en route (like a month later for me), I have been feeling that uncertainty too. I guess we'll see.
I agree that to an extent, people who use SDN might have a better shot at getting in, but there's also that severe bias where most news is good news. I think there are a lot of people who don't post because they might feel disappointed, ashamed, or whatnot. I was one of those people when my MCAT came out... :inpain:

+1 to that waiting. I won't be complete until August earliest. Also, you have the best username I've seen on here!

I agree that to an extent, people who use SDN might have a better shot at getting in, but there's also that severe bias where most news is good news. I think there are a lot of people who don't post because they might feel disappointed, ashamed, or whatnot. I was one of those people when my MCAT came out... :inpain:
still, there are general rules and formulas in med admissions that, if followed, will yield good results. This is easily ascertained from the reapp threads. yeah i don't doubt that a bunch of people don't post out of frustration and disappointment, but that doesn't mean it was random and nothing happened to deny them acceptances. That's what I mean – that the "randomness" aspect of it is really overplayed. I think someone spoke to this, like @mimelim or something? not sure i remember

Does anyone else ever feel like they're way too immature to deserve to be admitted to med school? Like I'm sitting here taking selfies and watching trashy TV, how could you possibly trust me to be the future of healthcare in America??

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else ever feel like they're way too immature to deserve to be admitted to med school? Like I'm sitting here taking selfies and watching trashy TV, how could you possibly trust me to be the future of healthcare in America??
You think docs don't do that? i know an attending who's really really pretty and goes out clubbing, hooking up, and watching the whitest shows..but then comes back into the ED guns blazing and taking charge like a boss
if i were lesbian she'd be mine :biglove:

still, there are general rules and formulas in med admissions that, if followed, will yield good results. This is easily ascertained from the reapp threads. yeah i don't doubt that a bunch of people don't post out of frustration and disappointment, but that doesn't mean it was random and nothing happened to deny them acceptances. That's what I mean – that the "randomness" aspect of it is really overplayed. I think someone spoke to this, like @mimelim or something? not sure i remember
ah, yes, I agree with that. SDN definitely strips away some of that randomness by teaching us to make more informed school lists, be more conscious of deadlines and "deadlines," so the amount of people who don't get in anywhere despite doing everything right is really low. But without SDN guidance that's probably where the 50% accept/reject rates come from

You think docs don't do that? i know an attending who's really really pretty and goes out clubbing, hooking up, and watching the whitest shows..but then comes back into the ED guns blazing and taking charge like a boss
if i were lesbian she'd be mine :biglove:
Hahaha @Lannister what does it say about me if I kind of want to be like that? Badass & cool :angelic:

Have to admit I'm kind of jealous of you guys. Graduated HS in 2012, didn't know I wanted to be a doctor until junior year of college. Now looking at a gap year or two to catch up with my low GPA/mcat...

Members don't see this ad :)
Graduated HS in 2012, didn't know I wanted to be a doctor until junior year of college.
hey same here man instead I'm a year older. I still managed to get it all done, but take as many gap years as you need to get ready! life ain't a game

Agreed. My friend from school just got engaged and I'm still working on commitingt to a cat my family is adopting. :/

Have to admit I'm kind of jealous of you guys. Graduated HS in 2012, didn't know I wanted to be a doctor until junior year of college. Now looking at a gap year or two to catch up with my low GPA/mcat...
Nah don't be jealous! Gap years are amazing. I knew I wanted to be a doc in HS but I'm still taking a gap year. You will not regret it.

+1 to that waiting. I won't be complete until August earliest. Also, you have the best username I've seen on here!

I agree to an extent. Most news is good news in the person to person interactions, but I think that lessens to a degree when you have the veil of anonymity, thus all the posts of didn't get in and wondering why, the sub forum for reapps, and similar things of that ilk. I think people often post when they have problems, and less when they are seeking congratulations, as they can get that from their close friends and drink champagne together or whatever they choose to do.

I also don't think that most people who are not already on the med path understands what it takes to get good MCAT scores etc. When I got my score, I had hit my target, so I was pretty excited. I went downstairs to tell my mom and I tell her to guess what I got... she says a 39? (With understanding of what the scale meant), and I was just like.... ummm no.

Gap years are great! It's all about how you approach them. Pm me if you need any advice about your individual circumstance, but I think I have become a completely different (read: better) applicant over the course of my 2 gap years.

Man I graduated college before that, and I'm really glad I didn't try to do all this back then.

I agree to an extent. Most news is good news in the person to person interactions, but I think that lessens to a degree when you have the veil of anonymity, thus all the posts of didn't get in and wondering why, the sub forum for reapps, and similar things of that ilk. I think people often post when they have problems, and less when they are seeking congratulations, as they can get that from their close friends and drink champagne together or whatever they choose to do.

I also don't think that most people who are not already on the med path understands what it takes to get good MCAT scores etc. When I got my score, I had hit my target, so I was pretty excited. I went downstairs to tell my mom and I tell her to guess what I got... she says a 39? (With understanding of what the scale meant), and I was just like.... ummm no.
Yeah. I guess I'm basing my thoughts on what I see in school-specific forums. There's a lot of inventory-taking but also feedback/support-seeking, for both good and bad news, but usually good.

Finally submitted! I need a drink...

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone have any motivational pep talks or memes to help the pre-writing process? My head is spinning...

Anyone have any motivational pep talks or memes to help the pre-writing process? My head is spinning...
images

hang-in-there.jpg

It's the only Game of Thrones motivational meme I could find :(

Reactions: 2 users
53697756.jpg

LOL sorry I couldn't resist. but srsly, secondaries aren't that bad

Hahahahahaha thank you for answering my cries for help @skooper @Lannister.
I don't know, they don't seem too bad but I'm having a hard time. I'm overthinking what to write!

Nah don't be jealous! Gap years are amazing. I knew I wanted to be a doc in HS but I'm still taking a gap year. You will not regret it.

Thanks. I'm taking the MCAT sometime next spring (or possibly January) and then hopefully applying right after. Looking forward to the next year or so.

Hahahahahaha thank you for answering my cries for help @skooper @Lannister.
I don't know, they don't seem too bad but I'm having a hard time. I'm overthinking what to write!
Always get to writing ASAP. learn to be ok with writing down crap and editing it later

This is probably hella neurotic and I cant believe I actually have to ask this to justify things to myself

But at what time July 1st are applications transmitted to med schools? I get my MCAT score back the 30th and school lists change based on what score within my percentile (for real though, 90-100% could be an old scale 33, it could be a 38, I have no clear idea). I just want to make sure I don't have to have my list in by 5pm the 30th or something, and if I get my list done at 2am July 1st or something, it will still be transmitted with the first shot of applications in the morning

This is probably hella neurotic and I cant believe I actually have to ask this to justify things to myself

But at what time July 1st are applications transmitted to med schools? I get my MCAT score back the 30th and school lists change based on what score within my percentile (for real though, 90-100% could be an old scale 33, it could be a 38, I have no clear idea). I just want to make sure I don't have to have my list in by 5pm the 30th or something, and if I get my list done at 2am July 1st or something, it will still be transmitted with the first shot of applications in the morning

I'm in the same situation and I'm wondering the same thing. My range is 88-98 and honestly my list is probably not going to change no matter where in that range I score, but I am still too scared to just add my schools now. I don't know if I should wait or not :(

@skooper, haha, I think trying to answer an autobiography prompt can be quite difficult. Just...how the heck am I supposed to make this cohesive? o_O

Sorry sweetie no one knows no one cares and it doesn't ****ing matter when you are transmitted on the first day cmon honey ARE YOU KIDDING :)

Sorry sweetie no one knows no one cares and it doesn't ****ing matter when you are transmitted on the first day cmon honey ARE YOU KIDDING :)

They just asked a question, no need to be so rude.

They just asked a question, no need to be so rude.
i wasn't rude? S/he acknowledged it was super neurotic so i was just playing along lol
sorry if it came across otherwise...:lock::lock::lock:

Cant be too careful if its something avoidable ya know?

screw it im just gonna enter the 2015 NBA draft

Have you all bought suits already?

On the one hand, I don't want to jinx it and not end up with any interviews and an expensive suit to show for it. On the other hand, scrambling after I've (hopefully) already gotten an II seems like it would give me less choice/flexibility, especially if I have to take it to a tailor (5'2.5" and awkwardly between petite and regular).

So mad at myself for getting a 3.5 GPA and putting myself in this position. Completely my fault. :/ Hopefully my 4.0 from this year well help me a bit.

I wish I could just buy a suit and call it a day. I feel like business clothes are so much more complicated for girls. Like can I wear a long black skirt, or do I need to wear pants? Should I wear makeup or not? How should I do my hair? How big is too big for a purse? So many variables.

I wish I could just buy a suit and call it a day. I feel like business clothes are so much more complicated for girls. Like can I wear a long black skirt, or do I need to wear pants? Should I wear makeup or not? How should I do my hair? How big is too big for a purse? So many variables.
I'm going to get a skirt suit because I hear that they're more traditional. Marshall's has great nude tights that are pretty cheap and very versatile color wise, also. I go pretty basic with the makeup on a daily basis (foundation, powder, mascara, eyeliner), so I'll probably do the same for my interviews with some pale pink lipstick. In terms of hair, I generally curl it with my big 2" iron and then put it half up, so I will probably do the same. I know they say ponytail is best, but my face is super round, and I look like an insect if I have my hair all up.

I haven't thought about purses yet though!

I'm going to get a skirt suit because I hear that they're more traditional. Marshall's has great nude tights that are pretty cheap and very versatile color wise, also. I go pretty basic with the makeup on a daily basis (foundation, powder, mascara, eyeliner), so I'll probably do the same for my interviews with some pale pink lipstick. In terms of hair, I generally curl it with my big 2" iron and then put it half up, so I will probably do the same. I know they say ponytail is best, but my face is super round, and I look like an insect if I have my hair all up.

I haven't thought about purses yet though!

I think I will go with the skirt suit too, seems like a safe choice. And I will definitely wear concealer and foundation, but I'm not sure about the eye makeup. I like to wear eyeliner but sometimes I'm paranoid that it looks trashy, because I'm really bad at applying it. Do you think a Dutch braid will be okay? My hair is super short so if I try to put it in a ponytail it sticks out super awkwardly at like a 90 degree angle from my head haha

On the one hand, I don't want to jinx it and not end up with any interviews and an expensive suit to show for it. On the other hand, scrambling after I've (hopefully) already gotten an II seems like it would give me less choice/flexibility, especially if I have to take it to a tailor (5'2.5" and awkwardly between petite and regular).

So mad at myself for getting a 3.5 GPA and putting myself in this position. Completely my fault. :/ Hopefully my 4.0 from this year well help me a bit.

Thank God my cousin got married last year and I got a new suit for that because I aint got enough money to buy a new suit between all these freaking applications

I think I will go with the skirt suit too, seems like a safe choice. And I will definitely wear concealer and foundation, but I'm not sure about the eye makeup. I like to wear eyeliner but sometimes I'm paranoid that it looks trashy, because I'm really bad at applying it. Do you think a Dutch braid will be okay? My hair is super short so if I try to put it in a ponytail it sticks out super awkwardly at like a 90 degree angle from my head haha
I only wear eyeliner on the bottom lid. It just makes my eyes look a little more open, which makes me look more attentive and lively, imo.

Thank God my cousin got married last year and I got a new suit for that because I aint got enough money to buy a new suit between all these freaking applications
I lost 35 lbs in the past year, so I'm swimming in all my old suits. That's another thing, too. I still wanna lose a bit more weight, so idk if I should wait to buy a suit or not.

That sounds great, I love braids! You could try tightlining instead of a bolder cat eye/whatever else is popular these days for a more natural look.

Also, if you can I would wait until Independence Day sales to buy the suit — I know J. Crew's sale suits had an extra 40% off this past weekend for Father's Day.

I'm definitely doing skirt suit as well, because I'm not sure I like how I look in pants suits (not sure why this is?).
I only have half my suit right now. I have a nice J. Crew blazer but I'm looking for a skirt to go with it that's maybe not J. Crew price. Anyone want to go suit hunting? Heh :p

That sounds great, I love braids! You could try tightlining instead of a bolder cat eye/whatever else is popular these days for a more natural look.

Me too :D my hair is finally long enough to braid so I am super excited and have been braiding it every day.
I'm not sure what tightlining is, I will have to look it up. I just do eyeliner on the bottom lid though, since I have a phobia of upper eyelids.

I'm definitely doing skirt suit as well, because I'm not sure I like how I look in pants suits (not sure why this is?).
I only have half my suit right now. I have a nice J. Crew blazer but I'm looking for a skirt to go with it that's maybe not J. Crew price. Anyone want to go suit hunting? Heh :p

Haha I am the opposite. I've got a nice pencil skirt but no blazer. You'll borrow my skirt and then I'll borrow your blazer.