Columbia MSPH Admitted 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is anyone else still having trouble getting their Columbia ID to work so they can fill out the supplemental form? I emailed the financial aid office about it but (of course) have gotten no response.

Members don't see this ad.

Yah

If it makes you feel any better I've had trouble getting a hold of specific profs at my other option, a school well known for having accessible faculty, so it may just be the time of year.

I've actually had better luck getting faculty at Columbia to respond to me than staff... but my dissertation advisors actually know the people I'm contacting and I shamelessly name drop to guilt people into responding. That said, I'm seriously concerned by the conveyer-belt feeling I get from Columbia and am leaning elsewhere.

I'm thinking of going to Admitted Day April 10th...those of you who went earlier this month, was it worth it? I'm still debating between UCLA (soooooo much cheaper, but I already have my undergrad degree from them) and Columbia...& waiting on decision from Yale. What's the itinerary like for Admitted Students Day? They sent an email with a virtual tour of campus because they won't be doing a campus tour on April 10th...should I just ditch the admit day & tour campus/NYC on my own?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm thinking of going to Admitted Day April 10th...those of you who went earlier this month, was it worth it? I'm still debating between UCLA (soooooo much cheaper, but I already have my undergrad degree from them) and Columbia...& waiting on decision from Yale. What's the itinerary like for Admitted Students Day? They sent an email with a virtual tour of campus because they won't be doing a campus tour on April 10th...should I just ditch the admit day & tour campus/NYC on my own?

Thanks!
I would definitely try to go to admit day. It's not the most open/accessible campus if you're by yourself, nor is it the kind of place that seems friendly to just dropping into faculty or staff offices. I'd been there for various meetings before the admit day but definitely got a more complete (and positive) impression of the program from the admit day.

Just got my Columbia fin aid package...it's all unsubsidized loans and it doesn't even cover tuition. Anyone else on the same boat? What are your plans to account for the rest of tuition + living expenses in NYC?

Thanks!

Just got my Columbia fin aid package...it's all unsubsidized loans and it doesn't even cover tuition. Anyone else on the same boat? What are your plans to account for the rest of tuition + living expenses in NYC?

Thanks!
SAME.

Sometimes you don't make a decision, a decision is made for you...

Seeing that sealed the deal for me. They have made it very clear that they don't think people can be successful even working part time in the first semester. Even working part time, though, wouldn't really make a dent. WashU's package leaves me with $7k for living expenses a semester, so there's that.

If you really wanted to make it work, you could take out outrageous private loans.

Now I have a lived experience to understand that most people who go to ivy leagues were just the people who could pay for it...

Reactions: 1 user
Same, same. Also, has anyone taken a good look at Columbia's NRC rankings? I've been looking at their stuff for the sociomedical sciences department, and it doesn't look good. i know it is phd level... but still

Wow, I just got my financial aid package too and was shocked. ALL LOANS! Don't think it's a possibility for me at this point.

Wow, I just got my financial aid package too and was shocked. ALL LOANS! Don't think it's a possibility for me at this point.
Are you leaning towards UCLA? They haven't sent out their fin aid packages yet, but I'm sure they will soon.

Hello everyone! Just found this thread. I got my financial aid package from Columbia as well. It consists of my merit scholarship and loans only. If it wasn't for my scholarship, I wouldn't even consider MSPH. I wish my other schools would hurry up with their packages as well. However, I am leaning towards Columbia for various reasons.

My package - including a merit scholarship and unsubsidized loans - covers just under tuition, and definitely not living expenses. I think this is pretty standard - for the remainder you can take a Grad plus loan, or a private loan - it is what I had to do for my previous Master's :( What frustrates me is I thought tuition was much lower than what is stated on the Cost of Attendance... I realized I was miscalculating for the one-year accelerated Master's, thinking it was two terms instead of three. $56,000 for one year tuition... eh. I had really been leaning toward Columbia but this was a bit of a let down.

For those who recieved financial aid awards, did you get them via email or via snail mail?

Members don't see this ad :)
For the accelerated program, I believe we are only charged for two semesters. Dr. Stellman, our director, told me that coursework ends on June 1st 2016 [for us], but for transcript purposes we have material that shows up during the summertime. That cost seems more manageable to me though. I thought it was going to be super expensive [which i suppose it is, but in comparison to more years of med school/law school/other graduate schools it seems ok [unless you go to a public university]].

Tuition: 36,000
Health and other fees: ~4,700

They estimate living expenses around ~16,000 and personal expenses around 2,000 etc.

I don't think it's that bad.

For the accelerated program, I believe we are only charged for two semesters. Dr. Stellman, our director, told me that coursework ends on June 1st 2016 [for us], but for transcript purposes we have material that shows up during the summertime. That cost seems more manageable to me though. I thought it was going to be super expensive [which i suppose it is, but in comparison to more years of med school/law school/other graduate schools it seems ok [unless you go to a public university]].

They estimate living expenses around ~16,000 and personal expenses around 2,000 etc.

According to the financial aid office, accelerated students are charged for the summer semester even though we do not take any courses. Total tuition (not including living expenses and fees, etc.) is $56,483. Once you add in health insurance, the health fee, and other expenses, they estimate you will need $85,498.00. Here is the breakdown:

Tuition $56,483.00
Health Service Fee $1,176.00
Living Expenses $21,100.00
Health Insurance Fee $3,581.00
Personal Expenses $3,158.00

Total Budget $85,498.00

According to the financial aid office, accelerated students are charged for the summer semester even though we do not take any courses. Total tuition (not including living expenses and fees, etc.) is $56,483. Once you add in health insurance, the health fee, and other expenses, they estimate you will need $85,498.00.

well...that sucks. thanks man.

well...that sucks. thanks man.
Sorry. :( I'm pretty frustrated by it too. That extra summer semester tuition really just feels like them trying to milk money and it's one of the reasons I've tentatively decided to go with another program.

@TheWorldWarrier, how did you find out this figure? I completely thought it was only two terms as well, but then saw my financial aid info and was hoping it was a mistake. I guess I will call them now and clarify. @AoiSora - did you speak with the Financial Aid Office directly to find out otherwise?

@TheWorldWarrier, how did you find out this figure? I completely thought it was only two terms as well, but then saw my financial aid info and was hoping it was a mistake. I guess I will call them now and clarify. @AoiSora - did you speak with the Financial Aid Office directly to find out otherwise?
I spoke with them directly twice, in person. No one seemed to have any idea what was going on in either case and had to poll colleagues in the office or look the figure up on the computer, which struck me as... odd. But the answer in both cases was "tuition is about $54k," which roughly matches the amount quoted in my award letter (~$56k.)

Columbia is still in the process of publishing their newest graduate employment report, but you can email the career service to ask for the newest statistics. Apparently for class 2013-2014, the response rate is 83% and the employment rate is a minimum of 98% as of 6 months post-graduation. Data for international students are not included, but you can ask for them too.

Sorry. :( I'm pretty frustrated by it too. That extra summer semester tuition really just feels like them trying to milk money and it's one of the reasons I've tentatively decided to go with another program.

Yeah, but it's the only one in new york city, where i'll be mostly applying to residency. It'll save time on that end. Can't exactly fly all the time between hopkins/yale and nyc; maybe drive from yale but even so...The Time...uggghhh.

Is anyone deciding between UCLA & Columbia? If so, what are considerations are you taking into place? I didn't receive a merit scholarship from Columbia, so my masters will be VERY expensive (loans) and I would have in-state tuition at UCLA.

Is anyone deciding between UCLA & Columbia? If so, what are considerations are you taking into place? I didn't receive a merit scholarship from Columbia, so my masters will be VERY expensive (loans) and I would have in-state tuition at UCLA.

What department are you in? I have been admitted to both UCLA and Columbia with scholarships from both but I am no longer considering UCLA because other schools are just a better fit for me. You should look into stuff like where you want to work later, cost, faculty area of research, city, etc. I'm interested in social epidemiology, social determinants of health, and health disparities for which, based on my visits, interaction with the students/faculty, and online search, Columbia is a better fit. UCLA might be a better one for your interests. Did you visit both?

What department are you in? I have been admitted to both UCLA and Columbia with scholarships from both but I am no longer considering UCLA because other schools are just a better fit for me. You should look into stuff like where you want to work later, cost, faculty area of research, city, etc. I'm interested in social epidemiology, social determinants of health, and health disparities for which, based on my visits, interaction with the students/faculty, and online search, Columbia is a better fit. UCLA might be a better one for your interests. Did you visit both?

It's for health policy. I didn't visit UCLA because I went there for undergrad, so I already know the feel of the campus overall (though I guess not of the public health school itself). I'm visiting Columbia on April 10th's admit day.

I'm interested in health disparities, health economics, and mental health policy.

Does anyone know anything about switching department at Columbia? I have heard that it is possible but I don't know what the exact process is like.

Does anyone know anything about switching department at Columbia? I have heard that it is possible but I don't know what the exact process is like.

I think it depends on which department. HPM ex. has an interview component. And overall each department has their own admissions committee is what I am told. I'd give Columbia a call.

I think it'll depend on which department you'll be switching into but when I spoke to admissions in a webinar, they basically said they consider transfers on a case by case basis and it requires an essay. I think you can only do it after the first semester but don't hold me to that. I had a friend transfer from EHS to HPM without too much difficulty I don't think.

I think it'll depend on which department you'll be switching into but when I spoke to admissions in a webinar, they basically said they consider transfers on a case by case basis and it requires an essay. I think you can only do it after the first semester but don't hold me to that. I had a friend transfer from EHS to HPM without too much difficulty I don't think.

I am hoping to switch from SMS to Epi.

Question has anyone requested a GRE waiver from Columbia MPH program? (for anyone who holds a graduate degree)
I have an urgent question, but would like to address it in private with someone.

I am hoping to switch from SMS to Epi.

Could you tell me why you are thinking of making that swift? I am in SMS too and plan on taking a lot of Social Epidemiology and methods classes through the certificate and elective, but I am open to switching the department too if I find that my interests are more aligned with the Epi department.

Question has anyone requested a GRE waiver from Columbia MPH program? (for anyone who holds a graduate degree)
I have an urgent question, but would like to address it in private with someone.
Yes.

Could you tell me why you are thinking of making that swift? I am in SMS too and plan on taking a lot of Social Epidemiology and methods classes through the certificate and elective, but I am open to switching the department too if I find that my interests are more aligned with the Epi department.

Part of the reason is because I am international and I have been told that having an Epi research background will help me find a job later (I personally would rather go into "management" but I don't feel like I'll have many advantages there being an international student).

I looked at both the SMS and Epi curriculums and think that the Epi curriculum will give me better research and statistical skill set. I have a feeling that SMS gears towards more management, practice and theories, but I could be wrong. I believe you can still build your research skills in SMS through a research-based certificate, which is what I plan to do if they don't let me switch department.

To be honest I don't feel like the curriculum structure at Columbia is flexible at all. I am afraid that I won't be able to take some of the methods classes as electives as a SMS student so switching to Epi seems like a better choice for me.

BTW, I am also interested in social epidemiology. :)

I got a call today from a current student from SMS today. I actually missed the call. She said in the voice message that she would be happy to share her experience and answer any of my questions about Columbia. But she did not state her phone number or her email address. The number is shown as "unknown" so I can't call her back either.... this is so bizarre... :confused::confused:

Why didn't she just email me?

Did this happen to any of you before?

I got a call today from a current student from SMS today. I actually missed the call. She said in the voice message that she would be happy to share her experience and answer any of my questions about Columbia. But she did not state her phone number or her email address. The number is shown as "unknown" so I can't call her back either.... this is so bizarre... :confused::confused:

Not per say but it seems as though there's a lot of disorganization with Columbia, lately...

According to their alumni....it is not a "lately" thing ;)

Oh lawd! Lol that's just sad... I hope things turnaround. I've been a victim of their hiccups; but hey it all happens for a reason. So no further complaints.

I got a phone call yesterday! But her number showed

Part of the reason is because I am international and I have been told that having an Epi research background will help me find a job later (I personally would rather go into "management" but I don't feel like I'll have many advantages there being an international student).

I looked at both the SMS and Epi curriculums and think that the Epi curriculum will give me better research and statistical skill set. I have a feeling that SMS gears towards more management, practice and theories, but I could be wrong. I believe you can still build your research skills in SMS through a research-based certificate, which is what I plan to do if they don't let me switch department.

To be honest I don't feel like the curriculum structure at Columbia is flexible at all. I am afraid that I won't be able to take some of the methods classes as electives as a SMS student so switching to Epi seems like a better choice for me.

BTW, I am also interested in social epidemiology. :)

Maybe try talking to the school? See if they would allow the flexibility you desire?

Is anyone attending the April 10th admitted students day? I am still deciding between schools and am super anxious since we have to choose a school by April 15th:/

Is anyone attending the April 10th admitted students day? I am still deciding between schools and am super anxious since we have to choose a school by April 15th:/

I am.

Hi everyone, has anyone been flagged by Columbia's financial aid officer for unusual enrollment resolution?
I was just wondering how long this process takes? Mine has been taking 3 weeks now and I am waiting to get my package.

I took prerequisites for my B.A. at 3 different colleges. Does this have anything to do with me having a graduate degree already and being in debt already? Or is it just the fact that I received pell grants at different schools to fulfill my B.A. ?

Thanks

Anyone know what the housing is like at the Bard-Haven towers? And the studios at 154?

Has anyone received a revised fin aid award? I did today and can't tell if it's an April Fools' joke.

Has anyone else contacted professors about research? I have a phone interview with one next week about her research and was wondering how others have gone so far!