Des Moines University (DMU-COM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JamesLMT

Accidentally Accepted
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
New Year, New Thread!!! Discuss away!!!

Members don't see this ad.

What's the housing situation like? I know Iowa has pretty rough winters, so are there apartments or houses near campus that have garage parking?

What's the housing situation like? I know Iowa has pretty rough winters, so are there apartments or houses near campus that have garage parking?

There are a ton of apartments surrounding the school. Some have lot parking, some have garages

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a ton of apartments surrounding the school. Some have lot parking, some have garages

Are there a lot within walking distance? Or do most people drive to school everyday? Also, how is the library? Other study areas?

I'm probably asking these questions prematurely, but I'm trying to get a better picture of the schools I'm interested in!

Thanks

Are there a lot within walking distance? Or do most people drive to school everyday? Also, how is the library? Other study areas?

I'm probably asking these questions prematurely, but I'm trying to get a better picture of the schools I'm interested in!

Thanks

There are plenty within walking distance. A lot of people do end up driving their car, but those are people either live further away or on the cusp of walking/driving distance. The library is a library. It has a ton of little cubicles and very quiet. There are study rooms available as well that can be reserved online for group study. At night, a lot of the common areas become study areas as well.

Hope that helps

I'm from Des Moines originally and I would like to come back home. I have above a 3.5 and I've always been pretty impressed with DMU, its honestly the only DO school that i liked that I've been too. Anyways can any current students give me a run down of the curriculum, school life, how other students are (gunners or friendly) etc. Thanks!

There are plenty within walking distance. A lot of people do end up driving their car, but those are people either live further away or on the cusp of walking/driving distance. The library is a library. It has a ton of little cubicles and very quiet. There are study rooms available as well that can be reserved online for group study. At night, a lot of the common areas become study areas as well.

Hope that helps

Sounds good, thanks for all the info.

I'm from Des Moines originally and I would like to come back home. I have above a 3.5 and I've always been pretty impressed with DMU, its honestly the only DO school that i liked that I've been too. Anyways can any current students give me a run down of the curriculum, school life, how other students are (gunners or friendly) etc. Thanks!

Curriculum is a little hard to explain. It is traditional basic sciences your first year and second year is systems oriented. This link on the curriculum will give you more information http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/DO-Strip-Chart.jpg

I'm not sure what you really mean by school like. I can tell you classes are usually 8-12 for lectures except Wednesdays that usually start at 10. The afternoon is set aside for labs. You'll usually end up with at least one day a week where you will have nothing in the afternoon. Exams are usually one or two per week.

For the most part, all the students are very friendly. Of course there will be some gunners, but they aren't a big deal. Every class is different so it is hard to say how your class will be. The school does its best to make inclusiveness a main value. We have a website for sharing study guides which is helpful. In general, everyone wants everyone else to succeed because it makes us all look better.

Are the lectures recorded and available to students?

Almost all the lectures are mp3 recorded and video captured (powerpoint and audio synced together). There will be a few that are not and usually those lectures will be mandatory anyway. This will happen more in your second year than in your first year.

Curriculum is a little hard to explain. It is traditional basic sciences your first year and second year is systems oriented. This link on the curriculum will give you more information http://www.dmu.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/DO-Strip-Chart.jpg

I'm not sure what you really mean by school like. I can tell you classes are usually 8-12 for lectures except Wednesdays that usually start at 10. The afternoon is set aside for labs. You'll usually end up with at least one day a week where you will have nothing in the afternoon. Exams are usually one or two per week.

For the most part, all the students are very friendly. Of course there will be some gunners, but they aren't a big deal. Every class is different so it is hard to say how your class will be. The school does its best to make inclusiveness a main value. We have a website for sharing study guides which is helpful. In general, everyone wants everyone else to succeed because it makes us all look better.

If I hadn't already heard so many good things about DMU I would be calling you a liar right now just because it seems outrageous that med students would want everyone else to succeed because it makes EVERYONE look better.

That last sentence really makes me want to go to DMU.

If I hadn't already heard so many good things about DMU I would be calling you a liar right now just because it seems outrageous that med students would want everyone else to succeed because it makes EVERYONE look better.

That last sentence really makes me want to go to DMU.

It doesn't mean you want people to do better than you. It means that you want everyone to be successful and not fail out because it makes our school look bad and then our reputation would suffer. There will be people you don't get along with but luckily with a class of 220 and multiple programs they can be avoided as long as they aren't in your part of the alphabet.

So when talking to a DMU representative when he was visiting Weber State University, he told me 90% of the graduating class had matched into their first choice of residency. This seems quite amazing and likely grossly exaggerated. If it's true, wow! Can anyone find anything to support this statement? I've not been able to.

Members don't see this ad :)
So when talking to a DMU representative when he was visiting Weber State University, he told me 90% of the graduating class had matched into their first choice of residency. This seems quite amazing and likely grossly exaggerated. If it's true, wow! Can anyone find anything to support this statement? I've not been able to.

I think it was 90% matched either their 1st or 2nd choice. I'll try to find the email on the stats that the dean sent out.

EDIT: This is from the e-mail the Dean sent out:
- 97% students got their first choice specialty of residency in initial match (self report)
- 66% got first choice location, 82% 1ST or 2ND choice location and 88% 1st,2nd or 3rd choice location after match and scramble (self report)

Last edited:
I think it was 90% matched either their 1st or 2nd choice. I'll try to find the email on the stats that the dean sent out.

EDIT: This is from the e-mail the Dean sent out:
- 97% students got their first choice specialty of residency in initial match (self report)
- 66% got first choice location, 82% 1ST or 2ND choice location and 88% 1st,2nd or 3rd choice location after match and scramble (self report)

That is pretty great! The fact that so many people got their specialty of choice (even if most are primary care) and the majority got 1st choice location, is very impressive! Thank you for the info!

Anyone get the secondary yet?

From the CIB, it looks like it won't come out until August this year though I believe in past years it has been July.

Do you know if the website they had from last year can be filled out now?

Do you know if the website they had from last year can be filled out now?

My personal belief is you never fill out a secondary unless you are given one. I'm guessing it will be exactly like the one they used last year. If you fill it out early, my guess is that it will get thrown out and you'll have to fill out a new one later and possible lose your money.

I understand that applying for schools is an anxious time in everyone's life but you will get secondaries. So just wait.

This wasn't at DMU and I am not sure they would do it, but I do remember reading last year about a bunch of people filled out the secondary early and every single person who did was outright rejected. I wouldn't risk it.

This wasn't at DMU and I am not sure they would do it, but I do remember reading last year about a bunch of people filled out the secondary early and every single person who did was outright rejected. I wouldn't risk it.

Oh man, that's rough.

MedPR, you're already super early in the cycle and you're way ahead of the game. Wait for the secondary... you don't want to take any chances! :)

My personal belief is you never fill out a secondary unless you are given one. I'm guessing it will be exactly like the one they used last year. If you fill it out early, my guess is that it will get thrown out and you'll have to fill out a new one later and possible lose your money.

I understand that applying for schools is an anxious time in everyone's life but you will get secondaries. So just wait.

This is how I felt before joining SDN. Look at what this place has done to me :thumbdown:

That's scary. I'll just wait until I get an email, letter, or something :) Thanks.

Oh man, that's rough.

MedPR, you're already super early in the cycle and you're way ahead of the game. Wait for the secondary... you don't want to take any chances! :)

Yea definitely. I'm glad secondaries didn't get sent this week. My girlfriend takes Step 1 this weekend and then is going home to visit her family for 10 days. Hopefully I can use the extra free time to work on these damn essays.

With all the praise I hear about this school does anybody care to share how their clinicals went for them? Any pointers?

Hey DMU peeps got this PM hope it helps everybody....

"I just finished my 3rd year and have been very happy with my clinicals. You might not get your first choice with every site you want, but there are some really good sites in the DSM area, and the hospitals that DMU sends students out to for 3rd year are good if you're lucky enough to get selected (it is a lottery system). I had some fantastic rotations in the central iowa area.

4th year is a great set-up if you don't mind doing a little leg work in setting up electives on your own. They give us a lot of freedom which means we get to do rotations anywhere we can get accepted (which usually isn't a big deal...just contact sites early in the game), but it's a lot of work. I am extremely happy because it has allowed me to rotate at potential residency sites in the beginning of the year while allowing me rotate close to my home at big university hospitals the second half of the year.

There are always kinks, and there have been frustrating moments, but looking back everything worked out really well. Hope this helps! "

Thanks to the person that sent me this it will help us all.

I heard the DMU secondary doesn't have essays.. can anyone confirm?

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard the DMU secondary doesn't have essays.. can anyone confirm?

I heard that too.. from a few very credible sources (incoming MS1s).

Are any of you going to submit it before getting the invite? I hope I'm not the only one waiting for the email!

I heard that too.. from a few very credible sources (incoming MS1s).

Are any of you going to submit it before getting the invite? I hope I'm not the only one waiting for the email!

Don't submit it before the invite! That's probably one of the worst things you could do. I heard the app will be out in the next week or two.

and be patient.

+1. I know we are all SUPER pumped that we are finally starting to hear from schools and are anxious to get things done. Just remember we are far far ahead of most who will apply this year! Goodluck guys!

From the DMU Facebook Page:

"DO applications for 2012-13 have started to arrive from AACOMAS – we received a record high number of applications in our first week! If you're planning to apply – do so soon, we use rolling admission."

According to the CIB, the earliest secondary filing date is August 1st... so we've got a while to go.

I don't know if I love her per say ... but maybe after I meet her and we get to talking love could be a possibility.... Wouldn't you agree?

WorldChanger... have you visited DMU? I fell in love after I visited :) It's really an excellent school.

Still, she might need to buy me dinner at least before i start throwing that word around.

Well if you get an interview, you at least get unlimited lunch and I would recommend a Friday interview because that day is taco/nacho day.

WorldChanger... have you visited DMU? I fell in love after I visited :) It's really an excellent school.

I keep hearing that but I still need to meet her first.

Still, she might need to buy me dinner at least before i start throwing that word around.

Even after dinner four years is a long commitment and she wants a very expensive "ring" to go with it. Sounds like a gold digger to me.... :laugh:

Well if you get an interview, you at least get unlimited lunch and I would recommend a Friday interview because that day is taco/nacho day.

Unlimited lunch? I think I maybe warming up here.... Picking out med schools is like getting a mail order bride...

Anyone know the dress code???

Yes! It is basically no athletic wear or sweatpants... you can wear jeans and a T-shirt but they just ask that the clothes not have holes so you look somewhat presentable... obviously nothing offensive.

During anatomy a lot of people wear scrubs to class on the day they have lab so they don't have to change before lab.

At night when students are on campus studying you can wear whatever you want.

And I've heard they're not even that strict about it like people will get lazy and start wearing sweatpants to class and they don't really care.

Source = current student

Yes! It is basically no athletic wear or sweatpants... you can wear jeans and a T-shirt but they just ask that the clothes not have holes so you look somewhat presentable... obviously nothing offensive.

During anatomy a lot of people wear scrubs to class on the day they have lab so they don't have to change before lab.

At night when students are on campus studying you can wear whatever you want.

And I've heard they're not even that strict about it like people will get lazy and start wearing sweatpants to class and they don't really care.

Source = current student

Cool beans...

Received the DMU secondary at 8:44 this morning...

Submitted the DMU secondary at 9:11 :) :) :)

No essays, fairly straight forward fill-in-the-blank and yes/no questions. Now I just need my DO to submit his letter! I told him July 20th originally, but I emailed him this morning to kindly remind him and hinted that all my materials are in except his letter. So we'll see how long it takes.

This is my kind of secondary! Though I'm still Trying to get them to accept my MCAT which is expired by their timeline...

This is my kind of secondary! Though I'm still Trying to get them to accept my MCAT which is expired by their timeline...

How old is your MCAT/what is their timeline. Mine is from 05/2010