Drexel IMS 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TeamDaenerys23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Surprised there wasn't a thread created for this already. Anyone applying to/attending the IMS program at Drexel this fall?

- Also would love to hear from current or past students in the program about their experience!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I am a current IMS student and would be happy to answer any questions!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I got accepted to the program, but I am debating whether to attend or not since I got accepted to SUNY Upstate 2yr master's program with automatic acceptance to its Med school if I meet requirements. The bad thing for me is that it is 2 yr tough!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Got accepted to Drexel IMS Philly but still deciding whether to attend or not. Any insight into how competitive it is to get an interview at DUCOM through this program?

Haven't checked this thread in a while. Anyone on here commit to this program for the fall?

Haven't checked this thread in a while. Anyone on here commit to this program for the fall?
I declined my acceptance here ... program only offers a few spots for DUCOM out of a large class size

Hey I got accepted to the program, but I am debating whether to attend or not since I got accepted to SUNY Upstate 2yr master's program with automatic acceptance to its Med school if I meet requirements. The bad thing for me is that it is 2 yr tough!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I would do the 2 year guaranteed program as long as the requirements are attainable

Hey everyone. I was a member of this program and have graduated. Please ask me any questions.

I would say that if you have another program that can offer you guaranteed acceptance, then definitely do it, no matter the length. If you do the IMS program, it is only a year, but you need to obtain all B's (which is extremely difficult) to be only given an interview. I had a friend who got A's and one B-, and they didn't let him. I would say out of all the 70ish kids in the class, maybe 3, to my knowledge, are attending DUCOM.

It's hard because you take an 8 credit biochem course on top of a hefty microanatomy and physiology courses.

Feel free to fire any other questions my way.

Hi I was in MMS program and graduated this year. The first year of that program is the IMS curriculum and the second year is research and a second year med school course.

I would agree with the above sentiment of choosing a guaranteed program over a record-enhancing program like IMS. Please remember that the IMS is not a linkage program - it is a record enhancing program that happens to include affiliations. It's not meant to place you in DUCOM solely - it's meant to give you options and place you in a US medical school. And I hear the IMS program and its sister programs do a really good job of that - like 70% while in the program.

In regards to the affiliation agreement with DUCOM, about 16 people from all the programs(MBS, IMS, and MMS) this year are matriculating into DUCOM. That doesn't account for ALL students who were offered interviews - just the ones who are deciding to matriculate. Also you don't necessarily need to meet the guaranteed interview requirements to get an interview or admissions. I didn't meet the guaranteed interview stipulation and I got an interview and subsequently got in. I know a good number of people who also received non-guaranteed interviews. But something I've also noticed is that people who interview with DUCOM tend to end up on the waitlist and don't get off til like May or so. And a good number of those on the waitlist get in.

In regards to the rigor, the IMS year is hard af. The first semester is the most difficult and very credit heavy. You really need to come in with the idea that you are going to kick butt in the coursework. You can't let any lecture sit and pile up--you need to keep up.
One thing I really like about the Drexel is the number of academic resources. There are drop boxes for everything, free academic tutoring, a lot of school provided resources, most of the books are on reserve in the library or in pdf somewhere, etc...
Also if you are thinking of retaking the MCAT after IMS, the IMS curriculum and the study/test taking skills you pick up while in the program definitely more than prepare you to score very well on the exam.

That's all I can think of for right now. Message me if you have questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I was a MBS student (basically mine was a 2 year program with the second year being the IMS year, everything is grouped into IMS now).

I am retaking the IMS year (a lot of personal/family issues during last year when I was in it) so I will be seeing any of the new prospective students, and I look forward to meeting you!

As people have stated above me, this program does NOT guarantee you a seat at DUCOM so if you have a program that guarantees this, opt for the other program.

The requirements they had for the new MCAT for a guaranteed interview last year were: 75% in EVERY section of the MCAT (Doesn't matter if your overall was higher, every section also at least has to be 75%), at least a B in every course, and at least a Cum GPA of 3.0 (this was because the program and other similar programs were 2 years).

So from my understanding, since last year, they stopped grading the PostBac students against the medical students, but I will have to confirm that. Course wise, you receive the exact same lecture material (via live stream) and notes as the medical students. You take the same test the medical students take. So you get your share of USMLE style questions. The courses are split into modules, so it won't be like a normal semester, but instead you may start with two courses, then in the middle of the semester add/finish others as the semester goes on, depending on the modules. All lectures are also recorded and accessible within an hour of the actual lecture being presented.

If anyone has any more questions, I would be glad to respond! Feel free to PM me if you would prefer that.

Hi I was in MMS program and graduated this year. The first year of that program is the IMS curriculum and the second year is research and a second year med school course.

I would agree with the above sentiment of choosing a guaranteed program over a record-enhancing program like IMS. Please remember that the IMS is not a linkage program - it is a record enhancing program that happens to include affiliations. It's not meant to place you in DUCOM solely - it's meant to give you options and place you in a US medical school. And I hear the IMS program and its sister programs do a really good job of that - like 70% while in the program.

In regards to the affiliation agreement with DUCOM, about 16 people from all the programs(MBS, IMS, and MMS) this year are matriculating into DUCOM. That doesn't account for ALL students who were offered interviews - just the ones who are deciding to matriculate. Also you don't necessarily need to meet the guaranteed interview requirements to get an interview or admissions. I didn't meet the guaranteed interview stipulation and I got an interview and subsequently got in. I know a good number of people who also received non-guaranteed interviews. But something I've also noticed is that people who interview with DUCOM tend to end up on the waitlist and don't get off til like May or so. And a good number of those on the waitlist get in.

In regards to the rigor, the IMS year is hard af. The first semester is the most difficult and very credit heavy. You really need to come in with the idea that you are going to kick butt in the coursework. You can't let any lecture sit and pile up--you need to keep up.
One thing I really like about the Drexel is the number of academic resources. There are drop boxes for everything, free academic tutoring, a lot of school provided resources, most of the books are on reserve in the library or in pdf somewhere, etc...
Also if you are thinking of retaking the MCAT after IMS, the IMS curriculum and the study/test taking skills you pick up while in the program definitely more than prepare you to score very well on the exam.

That's all I can think of for right now. Message me if you have questions.

Do they make accommodations for attending interviews?

I just got accepted and I really don't know if I wanna go here or EVMS for my smp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they make accommodations for attending interviews?

- Highly doubt it. I would call the office to ask though.

Is anyone still waiting to hear back? I got my application in right before the deadline but I haven't heard anything!

- It usually takes up to 2 weeks for them to get back to you. I'm sure you'll hear from them sometime tomorrow or early next week if you haven't already.

I just got accepted and I really don't know if I wanna go here or EVMS for my smp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

- Congrats on both acceptances. I think having success in either program would give you solid shot of matriculating the same year. Both have their pros and cons. 1 cool aspect of the EVMS smp is virtually everyone gets an interview (as long as your not failing) whereas Drexel has a criteria to be met. However, the number applicants they actually accept might be small. Hope you come to a decision soon!

I'm deciding between here and EVMS

What is holding me back from deciding is I like Drexel's curriculum more than EVMS. I like that Drexel has biochem, micro, etc. Meanwhile, EVMS has "foundational sciences", and i'm afraid that won't look that appealing to adcoms

Last edited:
So I know this post isn't completely on topic, but does anyone know the difference between the IMS program and the 2nd year of the MBS program? Really debating if I should do informal post-bacc and then apply to an SMP like the IMS program because I recently got into the MBS program which has the 1st year of formal post-bacc.