Drexel University IHS Program 2015-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocJuan

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to the IMS and was funneled into the mandatory 2-year IHS program, which is like the remedial IMS lol. In the first year you take some graduate level science courses to prove you can handle the curriculum (I already know I can, just a matter of being mature and putting in the study hours). The second year of the program is identical to the IMS minus the immunology option and, consequently, the guaranteed interview if you meet a certain GPA req. I feel like it's a program where you get what you put into it but if you bomb out they don't give a ****, still make their money, and don't tarnish the stats of their premier programs.

I was told by a current MSP student that this program is what you make of it, just like all the other programs at Drexel. I was initially concerned by the lack of knowledge and abundance of suspicion directed at this program on these forums. However, after speaking with the director of ALL the Drexel special masters-type programs, my concerns were alleviated. She told me that someone with my exact stats had a stellar performance in the program and go into Drexel COM. I plan to send in my deposit soon, would love to hear from anyone planning to attend or considering it!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

I am waiting to hear back from other schools and programs but there is a 98% chance that I'll end up at Drexel. I think this program will do what it needs to do if, exactly what you said, we put the time in and be mature about it.

Feel free to reach out to me! I am looking forward to getting to know everyone

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome, I'm in the exact same boat! 99% sure in fact. Still waiting to hear back from BU MAMS and DPMS but a lot of people have already heard back from both with interview invites and acceptances. I'm glad to have this opportunity though all I need is one! Have you spoken to anyone else in the program? I managed to get the Biochem syllabus from last years class. I also got my hands on a pdf copy of the required texts. Considering geting a jump on the semester.... considering lol

Members don't see this ad :)
So I am interested in applying to the IHS program at Drexel and this is potentially a stupid question - I've even emailed Admissions about it, but I wanted to see what people here had to say.

I did not take Biochemistry at my undergraduate college and seeing as how it is listed as a requirement for the IHS program, is it still worth applying to? When I emailed Admissions and asked if they would still consider my application even after not meeting the Biochem requirement, they encouraged me to still apply as the the committee takes a holistic approach to the applicants (but I think they just want my app fee money).

The way I see it is that they would reject me because of this requirement seeing as how other applicants have probably taken Biochemistry. I'm unsure whether to still continue with my application so any opinions would be appreciated!

If you need to do a post bacc and don't have one lined up for next semester, you should definitely apply. I never took biochem in undergrad either but I was accepted in November 2014. I am starting the program in August!

How long did it take for you to receive an invitation to interview, and then an acceptance? Did any of you have a phone interview?

How long did it take for you to receive an invitation to interview, and then an acceptance? Did any of you have a phone interview?

I had an informal conversation - wouldn't quite call it an interview though. More like an explanation as to why I would be more suited for the IHS program, rather than the IMS program to which I had originally applied to.

About 3 weeks after my app was complete I had the "interview" and about 2 or 3 days later I received an acceptance letter via email.

Hope that helped!

Hey guys. I received a call from the graduate studies office extending me an opportunity to interview with the program. I applied to DPMS and was rejected after the interviews. I set one up for Monday. What do you think my chances are of getting into this program ?

Is there a facebook group for this? If so we should start one, I want to meet some new classmates

Hey does anybody know what courses we would be taking in this program besides what is listed online or have anything from the previous classes ? Do we take medical courses our second year of the program ? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure some things out before I send in a deposit

Hey does anybody know what courses we would be taking in this program besides what is listed online or have anything from the previous classes ? Do we take medical courses our second year of the program ? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to figure some things out before I send in a deposit

I would call and ask Matthew Sanuck about the second year courses. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that you take medical courses in the second year of the program. I've only heard that in passing though. Not too sure of its validity. I did find this online though, in case you haven't seen it. It pretty much outlines what's available the first year.

http://catalog.drexel.edu/graduate/schoolofbiomedicalsciences/interdisciplinaryhealthsciencecert/

I would call and ask Matthew Sanuck about the second year courses. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that you take medical courses in the second year of the program. I've only heard that in passing though. Not too sure of its validity. I did find this online though, in case you haven't seen it. It pretty much outlines what's available the first year.

http://catalog.drexel.edu/graduate/schoolofbiomedicalsciences/interdisciplinaryhealthsciencecert/
I just called the office. There are two tracks. So in the second year of the program you have the option to take a selection of medical school courses or continue with graduate level science courses. The research component is still required either way. You and the program director decide which is the best path for you based on your success so far in the program.

Awesome, I'm in the exact same boat! 99% sure in fact. Still waiting to hear back from BU MAMS and DPMS but a lot of people have already heard back from both with interview invites and acceptances. I'm glad to have this opportunity though all I need is one! Have you spoken to anyone else in the program? I managed to get the Biochem syllabus from last years class. I also got my hands on a pdf copy of the required texts. Considering geting a jump on the semester.... considering lol

Hi I was just offered a interview to the IHS program. I was wondering if you could share some of your insight. How do you feel about the program after 2 years?