Edward Via COM - Virginia Campus (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our professors are very kind and understanding people, but they are not in charge of taking attendance or tracking absences. The medical education department is. Illness (an excused absence) still counts toward our allowed 15% per class.

Even with a doctors note?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I love this school, but there is a new attendance policy that anyone applying here should be aware of. Students must attend 85% of each class now. An e-mail we received states that this block, we are allowed to miss (regardless of whether the absence is excused or unexcused):

Anatomy/Embryology – 3 lecture hours (out of 24 total lecture hours)
Cell Bio & Physio – 4 lecture hours (out of 27 total lecture hours)
Pathology – 1 lecture hours (out of 8 in-class lecture hours)
Pharmacology – 1 lecture hours (out of 9 total lecture hours)
PPC/OMM – 1 lecture hours (out of 7 total lecture hours)
CM Gastroenterology – 5 lecture hours (out of 34 total lecture hours)
CM Nephrology – 3 lecture hours (out of 21 total lecture hours)

We are hoping no one gets sick.

Think of it this way. Is there any job that you can be at only 85 percent of the time? Probably not. When it was put that way for me it made sense that we should show up. You will be fine it's not that bad.

I am confused about the secondary question, "Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?"

Are they asking about three qualities that a medical student should be able to demonstrate as they become a physician or what qualities should I possess as I transition into medical school?
yes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, so for the LOR requirement.. :

"Two letters of recommendation and/or evaluation forms are required to complete the application for admission. These letters may not be submitted by a relative (by blood or through marriage). The first is shadowing a physician or completing another medical experience (e.g. working as a scribe; volunteering at a free clinic or physician's office; serving as an EMT; serving on a medical mission experience; etc.) is required prior to interview. A letter from a physician with whom you interacted is required. We recommend that experience and letter come from a D.O. in order to demonstrate your understanding and commitment to the osteopathic medical profession. If you cannot obtain a D.O. letter on a timely basis to complete your application, we will accept a letter from an M.D. However, if accepted, you will need to meet with and obtain a letter of recommendation from a D.O. within thirty days of your acceptance."

So, I am currently shadowing a D.O. and probably will not have the letter until September..if he agrees to write me one, that is. I do not have an M.D. letter-- only a letter from a physician assistant that sent me off to shadow physicians in several different specialties in the hospital. Should I still submit my secondary with the D.O.'s name and information in the corresponding boxes?..or should I wait?

Any input would be much appreciated!
You need to write the letter yourself and have him read and sign it.

Hmm

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
In case you are sick or something happens and you miss a day where you have 4 lectures for the same class, you are screwed and you have to remediate. Plus there are weeks that you may have 3 exams and skipping a class may be your only option in order not fail. With this policy you can't do that. Med school is about having enough time to study outside the classroom.

Do you go there? What you stated is not the case at all.

Do you go there? What you stated is not the case at all.

Do you mind elaborating? I'd love to know more :) I have kids who unfortunately get sick sometimes, so a strict attendance policy could become a problem for me.. Thanks!

Ahhh I just want an interview here, waiting for any communication is killing me :rofl::rofl:
I havent even gotten the complete email yet and I got everything in since late June.

So..... I got an II. but never got an email about it. It was just sitting in my portal. haha.
Interview dates start September.

Reactions: 1 users
So..... I got an II. but never got an email about it. It was just sitting in my portal. haha.
did you get any complete application? Or did they post your LORs as received?

The portal is a little confusing to understand.

Members don't see this ad :)
did you get any complete application? Or did they post your LORs as received?

The portal is a little confusing to understand.
No, all I ever got was an invitation to complete the secondary. Not even that my secondary was submitted, or received, or complete! & also nothing regarding my letters..... But the interview tab is there! Check the portal!

Last edited:
I'm sure you will get one soon! I'm in state so that might be an additional factor for me lol
edit: you too @cjcarter

Did you apply ED? Their email said IIs for ED applicants will start September and everyone else October. Unless they're getting an earlier start!

Good for you! It still says "pending MCAT" for me even though I uploaded it a week ago

Just remember that this admissions process is a marathon, not a sprint! As this is my third application cycle, I understand your pain and hope we will NEVER have to do this again. :p

Oh maybe that email was from a different branch campus then! Congrats though!

Just remember that this admissions process is a marathon, not a sprint! As this is my third application cycle, I understand your pain and hope we will NEVER have to do this again. :p

Lol I know! I have an Interview at LMU in two weeks, so it isn't too bleak.

It's just frustrating with my MCAT because my birth date was wrong, and it delayed my application a month. After I uploaded it the first time, AACOMAS kept telling me they could enter it manually. After about 2.5 weeks of that I figured out they were full of ****. So I had to mail AAMC a bunch of notarized documents and wait two more weeks for it to get changed...

Congrats on the II. Can you tell us when you completed the secondary?

For the record:

Submitted secondary: July 23rd
"Secondary Complete" email received: August 12th

However, no II status on the portal for me.

Thanks! I'm not sure - never got an email. probably sometime back in the end of June?

Oh ok. I completed my secondary on July 5th, and secondary received email July 15th. No other communication after that.

Last edited:
Anybody got this notification?
"Thank you so much for submitting your Secondary Application.

We are pleased to learn of your continued interest in the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Over the next couple of weeks we will begin reviewing your application for completeness. We follow up with you via email to let you know either your application is complete or that we will need additional information to consider your application complete. "

Anybody got this notification?
"Thank you so much for submitting your Secondary Application.

We are pleased to learn of your continued interest in the Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine.

Over the next couple of weeks we will begin reviewing your application for completeness. We follow up with you via email to let you know either your application is complete or that we will need additional information to consider your application complete. "

Yeah I did. Complete email follows after this, but that can take a while.

Nope. Didn't apply for ED anywhere.

Really? For some reason, the office keeps mentioning in emails and on their website that ED interviews is during mid September and regular applicants are in October. SO CONFUSED.

Also, good news finally: my application is finally complete! Got the email today. Finished the app in late June.

Really? For some reason, the office keeps mentioning in emails and on their website that ED interviews is during mid September and regular applicants are in October. SO CONFUSED.
At least you're getting their emails! I haven't gotten any from them lol. None at all. I didn't apply ED - but I guess I shouldn't complain.

Still stuck at "secondary invite pending MCAT score". I uploaded my MCAT 10 days ago

Finally received the complete email today! I submitted my secondary on July 7.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it normal to still edit essays if you wanted to. im not planning on it and it shows the date of submission but it seems odd. i don't remember receiving a complete email

I mean the 3.0 GPA cut off is the limit for almost every US school. And yes, they do value GPA slightly more than MCAT, but I would be surprised if the accepted Someone with a sub 500 MCAT, as it correlates with a high drop out rate and low chances to pass COMLEX. Your best bet for admissions at any school is have good ECs and be around the national average for matriculants in terms of GPA/MCAT. I believe according to AACOMAS data this is a 5.52 cGPA, 3.4 sGPA and a 3.6 non-science GPA along with a 27 MCAT or 502.

I got a secondary with a 497 - surprise!!!

Congrats! Your name proves true!

I just think comments like your previous one attract so much negativity on here... this is supposed to be a supportive community, or so I thought. Just don't be the person who discourages anyone to apply - if I listened to you or most of the comments on here I would not have applied. I don't anticipate dropping out or failing any board exams. Just do you and imma do me.

I just think comments like your previous one attract so much negativity on here... this is supposed to be a supportive community, or so I thought. Just don't be the person who discourages anyone to apply - if I listened to you or most of the comments on here I would not have applied. I don't anticipate dropping out or failing any board exams. Just do you and imma do me.

Never mind, I take the congratulations back. Good job i guess?

Does anyone know what GPA they screen for? It's been a month and a half since I got the email saying the received my primary. Should I just give up hope? :(

Does anyone know what GPA they screen for? It's been a month and a half since I got the email saying the received my primary. Should I just give up hope? :(
The average GPA for acceptance is 3.5 to 3.6.